Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm 99% sure it's Rickon, but I'll give Theon a 1%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ka06Ih8zE

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

canepazzo posted:

The way Ramsay reacts to "We've got a gift for you", with a giant poo poo-eating grin, makes me thing the gift is Theon, not Rickon.

That poo poo eating grin isn't reacting to that. He's sitting down when he's told about the gift with the guy in front of him and poo poo eating grinning standing up with the guy behind him.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It just blows my mind how good tv shows are now. Like I don't know if people are being ironic or hipster or what but Game of Thrones is entertaining and cool.

I grew up as a kid watching 3-2-1 contact, and then as a kid I had to pray that whatever Saved by the Bell episode came on wasn't one that I had already seen six times and memorized half the lines to. When I finally got old enough to watch something adultish and cool on TV, it was Tales from the Crypt, which at the time I thought was incredible but looking back it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad.

Now people bitch and complain about a show like Game of Thrones. Breaking Bad. House of Cards. Better Call Saul. Narcos. poo poo on television now is better than almost any movie you could get from the early 90s. Holy poo poo what a time to be alive. My son is going to grow up watching the most badass poo poo imaginable...I can't even really comprehend it right now I'd guess. Hot drat.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

That poo poo eating grin isn't reacting to that. He's sitting down when he's told about the gift with the guy in front of him and poo poo eating grinning standing up with the guy behind him.

He's reacting to whatever the gift is, out of frame, no?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

canepazzo posted:

The way Ramsay reacts to "We've got a gift for you", with a giant poo poo-eating grin, makes me thing the gift is Theon, not Rickon.

That makes a lot more sense, because Theon can't be at the Kingsmoot as he has to be the key to dethroning Euron much later.

I'd say the Northern Story will go something like this:

-Karstarks: Staunch Bolton allies, take place of Freys and might get turned into pie
-Umbers: Northern Resistance Movement, work against the Boltons and use Theon to buy Ramsays trust. Work for Rickon, who they have hidden in the Last Hearth.
-Manderlys: Currently undecided, at least that's what we are supposed to believe, will backstab the Boltons at a crucial time during the battle following the Rickon is a alive reveal.

LF might actually come too late to the big battle (mirroring Walder Frey in Roberts Rebellion) and get iced out for being a shifty little poo poo as a consequence.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

GaussianCopula posted:

LF might actually come too late to the big battle (mirroring Walder Frey in Roberts Rebellion) and get iced out for being a shifty little poo poo as a consequence.

I'm really skeptical of any theory of Littlefinger's death that doesn't involve Sansa directly ordering someone else to chop off his head, or some political equivalent of a Rube Goldberg machine where she sets him up to be thrown under the dungeon for a thousand and one years

Or him being hung by Lady Stoneheart except you know, we're talking about the show, rip

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

canepazzo posted:

He's reacting to whatever the gift is, out of frame, no?

Eh, maybe? TV shows like to edit their promos in misleading ways.

Unrelated - I finally decided to read the books, on audiobook! There's nothing like hearing an elderly man with gravitas describe the sexual thoughts of a teenage girl from her perspective while doing his best impression of a little girl voice.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The Great Autismo! posted:

It just blows my mind how good tv shows are now. Like I don't know if people are being ironic or hipster or what but Game of Thrones is entertaining and cool.

Remember that rear end in a top hat who would always go "the book was better :smug:" every time someone talked about a movie? This thread is that guy mass produced.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

TheRat posted:

Remember that rear end in a top hat who would always go "the book was better :smug:" every time someone talked about a movie? This thread is that guy mass produced.

Please name one show invention that has a better narrative structure than the books. Given how brilliantly they were able to adapt book 1 it's just disappointing that we subsequently had to suffer through the legend of Gin Alley, show-Quarth, show-Dorne, the rape of Sansa Stark while they at the same time cut a lot of great arcs, like Mance, Lady Stoneheart and Aegon.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hey guys what if the valonquar is Arya wearing Jaime or Tyrion's face

e: you guys I'm really salty Mel didn't do the kiss of life

wtf was that poo poo

esperterra fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 2, 2016

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

Please name one show invention that has a better narrative structure than the books. Given how brilliantly they were able to adapt book 1 it's just disappointing that we subsequently had to suffer through the legend of Gin Alley, show-Quarth, show-Dorne, the rape of Sansa Stark while they at the same time cut a lot of great arcs, like Mance, Lady Stoneheart and Aegon.

Well, the show will have an ending.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
From the soon-to-be released Game of Thrones OST, Ramsay's theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkuu0Lwb5EM

Anyway, bits and pieces of that were sort of silly and plot-hole-y but I enjoyed it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

canepazzo posted:

Theon was seen filming at Pike I thought. I'd be real stupid to have him captured, be a Bolton prisoner and escape yet again. Why even bother wasting time on that poo poo a second time?

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

I'll miss the Mance story, they might still do Lady Stoneheart, but I really don't care for Aegon at all.

Aegon and that Dorne prince who got burned by the dragons were really superfluous subplots from the books with Aegon looking like the world's biggest red herring. Two of the better things the show has done is cut those out, and also fast-forwarded the Tyrion and Penny subplot and getting him to Mereen faster and cutting Penny completely. Hoo boy ADWD had a lot of poo poo that could've been cut out and was.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Which would be dumber? Theon going home to the family that disowned him, which he realized was never his real family during a very emotional scene, or Theon returning to Winterfell, the place he realized was his real home, with a scheme to undermine the Boltons, or hoping to sacrifice himself to save Sansa?

Obviously he's gonna do the former.

CasualTR
Apr 22, 2016

My Hunk of Silicon is better than your Hunk of Silicon

Kajeesus posted:

Which would be dumber? Theon going home to the family that disowned him, which he realized was never his real family during a very emotional scene, or Theon returning to Winterfell, the place he realized was his real home, with a scheme to undermine the Boltons, or hoping to sacrifice himself to save Sansa?

Well, they have done u-turns on character development before

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I know they had to keep the secrets about the hows and the whens, but Carice and Kit and everyone else lying about Jon Snow's resurrection is pretty stupid. JUST DON'T ANSWER THE QUESTION, DON'T LIE AND SAY HE DOESN'T COME BACK AND SHE DOESN'T RESURRECT HIM AND ALL THIS BALONEY. Yes, technically R'hllor resurrected Jon, but Melisandre performed the ritual. Ugh!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Apoplexy posted:

I know they had to keep the secrets about the hows and the whens, but Carice and Kit and everyone else lying about Jon Snow's resurrection is pretty stupid. JUST DON'T ANSWER THE QUESTION, DON'T LIE AND SAY HE DOESN'T COME BACK AND SHE DOESN'T RESURRECT HIM AND ALL THIS BALONEY. Yes, technically R'hllor resurrected Jon, but Melisandre performed the ritual. Ugh!

idk what mel was doin but a r'hllor ressurection twas not

some shadow tomfoolery and i'll hear nothing else!!

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Kajeesus posted:

Even if Sansa stands up for him, Theon will always be known as the guy who betrayed his adopted family. He's right that even if he takes the black he won't find redemption. If he returns to winterfel the Northmen will hate him and he'll always be reminded of what he lost.

Plus his sister did try and rescue him. He might just want to see the one person who cared enough to risk their life to try and save him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

esperterra posted:

idk what mel was doin but a r'hllor ressurection twas not

some shadow tomfoolery and i'll hear nothing else!!

Kneeling over the body and saying "please" was pretty much how Thoros did it the first time around. Beric was the one who gave the smooch of life, and he wasn't a priest of R'hllor.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Theon is going back to Pyke to kill his father.

Welp.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Lycus posted:

Welp.

What is dead may never die.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Apoplexy posted:

What is dead may never die.

So is this going to end with cthulu getting into a godzilla fight with a sungod?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So yeah while this episode was peak Dave Hill indeed it was still pretty enjoyable, I'd rather have shoe-horned plot developments than a whole season of gears grinding.

I had no problems with Roose getting to the Noose (or the stabbing, for that purpose), the culling of characters who fill similar roles to other characters in the story is very sensible by this point, we need Rambo to assume the mad dog lord role and set everything up for the battle of the bastards by seasons end, I'm down with it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Lycus posted:

Welp.

He seriously should have said *something* about paying back the dude who hosed his life sideways. Like in a show that is this dumb, it is dumb to leave that unstated. "I don't want to imprison myself to your brothers cult, I've got a prick to kill."

Also I would never complain about this show again if one of the dragons just straight barbecued Tyrion.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So is this going to end with cthulu getting into a godzilla fight with a sungod?

Nope, the whole thing is going to go full Battlebeasts.

The Drowned God puts out R'hllor, R'hllor burns Weirwood, Weirwood floats on The Drowned God.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Nope, the whole thing is going to go full Battlebeasts.

The Drowned God puts out R'hllor, R'hllor burns Weirwood, Weirwood floats on The Drowned God.

*is that kid who always throws the Titan of Braavos during Cthulhu/Rhllor/Weirdwood*

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My money is on the Faceless Men being the closest to being correct about the nature of God in that universe.

edit: also it's not getting talked about enough but Tyrion being a secret targ is basically confirmed :haw:

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 2, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

hemophilia posted:

edit: also it's not getting talked about enough but Tyrion being a secret targ is basically confirmed :haw:

Sure, only the show provided an in-world explanation for that whole ordeal that goes 'Dragons are clever and know how to distinguish friends from foes, Tyrion is clever and knowledgeable and knows how to approach them' without going into the whole Valyrian dragon riding genetic affinity poo poo, so not really.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I always say, never trust a deity with an apostrophe in its name.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Apoplexy posted:

Oh no your friends lied when they were on the Today Show, what a tragedy!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Nobody lied. They said he was dead. That was true. He was dead, or mostly dead, and now he's some degree of alive. Mostly alive.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
So why exactly did Balon think it was a good idea to go for a walk on a rickety rope bridge in the middle of night during a fierce storm? Is that the way to the privy?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Drunk in Space posted:

So why exactly did Balon think it was a good idea to go for a walk on a rickety rope bridge in the middle of night during a fierce storm? Is that the way to the privy?

You have to go through the rope bridges to get between the different Towers at Pyke, Iron Born consider it cowardly to consider it to be a big scary ordeal.

That's also how he dies in the books.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Sure, only the show provided an in-world explanation for that whole ordeal that goes 'Dragons are clever and know how to distinguish friends from foes, Tyrion is clever and knowledgeable and knows how to approach them' without going into the whole Valyrian dragon riding genetic affinity poo poo, so not really.

I wasn't being serious, I just saw some internet people going apeshit about this apparently being conclusive evidence. If you happen to believe that theory this does lend a stupid amount of credence despite the in-show explanations

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That's also how he dies in the books.

Although it's offscreen and much earlier.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kajeesus posted:

They both sound really dumb. "Hey Ramsay I'm back, Winterfell is my home, lol"

Theon returning to Ramsay because this time he has a scheme is even more unbelievable than Theon leaving Sansa to try to swim to Pyke.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Lycus posted:

I'm sure they'll make an anime, don't you worry.

I actually really want an eventual high-budget animated adaptation of ASOIAF 10 years down the line. I'd enjoy having both the off-on-its-own-tangent live-action GoT, and a different version that used the potential of animation to go for a grander scale and show a more faithful interpretation of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

I actually really want an eventual high-budget animated adaptation of ASOIAF 10 years down the line. I'd enjoy having both the off-on-its-own-tangent live-action GoT, and a different version that used the potential of animation to go for a grander scale and show a more faithful interpretation of the story.

I don't think you can blame it all on the shows faults at the budget. How do you explain Quarth or Dorne if not with the fact that D&D change stuff because they believe it will make the show more appealing to certain audiences.

• Locked thread