Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Lone Badger posted:

Are you trying to say Geralt has never massacred a village?

Geralt specifically brings up his role as the butcher of blaviken during that quest. He didn't murder a whole village, and the people he killed deserved what they got *for the most part*. But to the public watching the fight, they just see another psychotic Witcher slaughtering random people in the streets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

Geralt specifically brings up his role as the butcher of blaviken during that quest. He didn't murder a whole village, and the people he killed deserved what they got *for the most part*. But to the public watching the fight, they just see another psychotic Witcher slaughtering random people in the streets

I absolutely loved that story. One that it was a bit of a tragedy and lesson for Geralt. And two because you realize that video game Geralt isn't really more bad rear end than book Geralt. They set it up as though he might have a real fight coming or at least be not fast enough to prevent casualties. But nope! Homeboy drops 7 dudes that aren't even really all near each other in about 20 seconds. Book Geralt is a stone cold bad rear end trying to make the best of a bad situation. His life is one big Greek tragedy.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Is there a follow up to the baron and his wife going to see the shaman if she goes bonkers? Also does she always go crazy?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sneaky Fast posted:

Is there a follow up to the baron and his wife going to see the shaman if she goes bonkers? Also does she always go crazy?
No there isn't and no. If you free the tree spirit she dies instead of the kids and The Baron kills himself out of grief.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I was thinking of the village in the Vizime outskirts (in Witcher 1). It was kinda on fire and filled with corpses when I left.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I was thinking of the village in the Vizime outskirts (in Witcher 1). It was kinda on fire and filled with corpses when I left.
You don't kill the entire village, just the rear end in a top hat preacher and the people dumb enough thinking that Geralt would be ripe for a bushwacking after killing the Beast.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Lone Badger posted:

Killing everyone who attacks you is exactly the same as chasing down every man woman and child in the village.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Finally beat this. Quite a good game, probably one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I got Ciri as empress, I killed Radovid, and Geralt/Yen just chilled out bein happy. Pretty fine with that ending.

Guess I could go for the expansion now, though I may take a bit of a break before diving into that because I sank a poo poo load of hours into this run. I did just about every quest in my book and went most everywhere. I didn't explore all of the ?'s but that's because I got burnt out trying to do all the deep sea dives.

e: What was the end game for Avallac'h? Obviously he was trying to breed a Ciri replacement in his labs but as a full elf instead of a half breed. It never worked, so he used Cirri to help defeat the Wild Hunt. But then you don't hear about him again in the epilogue. I always assumed he had some sort of secret desire for Ciri to help him with, or that he might even be kinda attracted to her, but in the end his whole goal it seems is just to defeat Eredin and then go on his merry way. Or did I miss something?

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 1, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ginette Reno posted:

Finally beat this. Quite a good game, probably one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I got Ciri as empress, I killed Radovid, and Geralt/Yen just chilled out bein happy. Pretty fine with that ending.

Guess I could go for the expansion now, though I may take a bit of a break before diving into that because I sank a poo poo load of hours into this run. I did just about every quest in my book and went most everywhere. I didn't explore all of the ?'s but that's because I got burnt out trying to do all the deep sea dives.

e: What was the end game for Avallac'h? Obviously he was trying to breed a Ciri replacement in his labs but as a full elf instead of a half breed. It never worked, so he used Cirri to help defeat the Wild Hunt. But then you don't hear about him again in the epilogue. I always assumed he had some sort of secret desire for Ciri to help him with, or that he might even be kinda attracted to her, but in the end his whole goal it seems is just to defeat Eredin and then go on his merry way. Or did I miss something?

Avallach's main goal is not to kill Eredin, but to save the world of Aen Elle from destruction by entropy. He wants Ciri's powers because they are the only thing that can stem the White Frost from consuming all life. Remember that the Aen Elle already fled their homeworld after the frost consumed it, so he does not want to see it happen again. He's also loyal to his people, though, and he sees Eredin as a destructive threat for antagonizing other worlds and putting the Aen Elle at risk. Geralt and his goals just happen to coincide for the time being.

As for that ending, good lord, CDPR knows how to twist the knife. Empress Ciri ending is a fair bit longer than the other two, because it is the last time they will see each other, and the game wants to remind you of that. Some people say that the other endings aren't as developed because they're shorter, but they each hit on a different point. Dead Ciri ending is just downright depressing, and a true end to a Witcher consigned to fate. Witcher Ciri doesn't need to be long, because she's finally able to be with her father (TRUE father) for the rest of her life. Empress Ciri wants to hit home how tragic things are for Geralt, but with a glimmer of hope that he will see her again, sometime.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
There's a really nice sense of working class anxiety and self-consciousness in the empress and witcher Ciri endings. Have I done right by my daughter, sort of thing

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Avallach's main goal is not to kill Eredin, but to save the world of Aen Elle from destruction by entropy. He wants Ciri's powers because they are the only thing that can stem the White Frost from consuming all life. Remember that the Aen Elle already fled their homeworld after the frost consumed it, so he does not want to see it happen again. He's also loyal to his people, though, and he sees Eredin as a destructive threat for antagonizing other worlds and putting the Aen Elle at risk. Geralt and his goals just happen to coincide for the time being.

As for that ending, good lord, CDPR knows how to twist the knife. Empress Ciri ending is a fair bit longer than the other two, because it is the last time they will see each other, and the game wants to remind you of that. Some people say that the other endings aren't as developed because they're shorter, but they each hit on a different point. Dead Ciri ending is just downright depressing, and a true end to a Witcher consigned to fate. Witcher Ciri doesn't need to be long, because she's finally able to be with her father (TRUE father) for the rest of her life. Empress Ciri wants to hit home how tragic things are for Geralt, but with a glimmer of hope that he will see her again, sometime.

Confronting the White Frost was ultimately Ciri's idea though, wasn't it? She says it was her who asked Avallach to seal off the tower for her so she could try and do it. Didn't sound like he pushed her to that at all.

I was sad during that ending, but also proud of Ciri and it feels like the best one to me because it's Ciri's choice. In order to make her a witcher, you have to basically not bring her to Emhyr, right? That's not fair to Ciri imo. Let her make the choice, she's clearly ready to by the end of the game. Also in my game at least Geralt didn't make off too bad. Being able to live a free life with Yen where they can do whatever is pretty good, and I didn't get the feeling from my conversation with Ciri that visiting her occasionally would be impossible. I doubt Geralt will be a regular at court or anything but I'm sure he'd see Ciri now and then.

Kinda curious what happens to Emhyr. He abdicated the throne to Ciri but he's not dead, obviously. Is he still around in advisory role?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ginette Reno posted:

Confronting the White Frost was ultimately Ciri's idea though, wasn't it? She says it was her who asked Avallach to seal off the tower for her so she could try and do it. Didn't sound like he pushed her to that at all.

I was sad during that ending, but also proud of Ciri and it feels like the best one to me because it's Ciri's choice. In order to make her a witcher, you have to basically not bring her to Emhyr, right? That's not fair to Ciri imo. Let her make the choice, she's clearly ready to by the end of the game. Also in my game at least Geralt didn't make off too bad. Being able to live a free life with Yen where they can do whatever is pretty good, and I didn't get the feeling from my conversation with Ciri that visiting her occasionally would be impossible. I doubt Geralt will be a regular at court or anything but I'm sure he'd see Ciri now and then.

Kinda curious what happens to Emhyr. He abdicated the throne to Ciri but he's not dead, obviously. Is he still around in advisory role?

Avallach wanted Ciri to complete her training before confronting the White Frost. He wanted her to be in full control of her powers so they had the best possible chance of defeating it. However, Avallach also relented after it became clear that he could never fully control Ciri.

As for Emhyr, it will be awkward when Ciri is approached by him and his wife, who just so happens to look exactly like Ciri. "So yeah, Ciri, about this, well, you know how I wanted to bang you once? Even though you're my biological daughter, I reaaaally wanted my god-king son we'd have together to rule the world. But after that fell through, I married your doppelganger."

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm playing Heart of Stone for the first time, and got to what appears as a branching set of main quests. "Dead Man's Party" and "Open Sesame". Is there a preferred order to do these two? The game defaulted to the former as enabled in the quest log...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do dead man's party first because it is incredible and hilarious. The second quest is more serious, so I play it second to maintain the mounting uneasiness the dlc offers. Start off doing fun stuff before things get serious.

When I did open sesame, I was completely broke from dealing with that drat ofieri runesmith. I had to bum coin off of Vivaldi to actually bid on one item (the spectacles). A true Witcher experience

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 2, 2016

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The order doesn't matter. The only thing to keep in mind is that, when you do the party, the first thing you should do is play gwent with the halflings and lose.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Actually I take it back. Do the auction portion of open sesame first, bid on the spectacles and THEN do dead man's party before finishing open sesame

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Hah, got it. Spectacle so Geralt looks like a goof?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Unless they've changed it, if you show up to the party wearing the spectacles, then loose the Gwent game to the halflings, you can wander around the party with spectacles AND rear end ears.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 2, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

does oingo boingo play during dead mans party. this is important. please

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm in the "bad ending = best ending" team and imo it's the most fitting one. It has the best direction, cutscenes, dialogues and overall owns hard. The final Crone talking to Geralt about his state of mind throughout the fight with her was great. Then Geralt finishes the job, gets the medallion and it turns out that the Crone was right and that taking Ciri's medallion back was the only thing that was still keeping him alive. This might honestly be the most ballsy ending in the genre considering it's an AAA+ title.

Also notice that in the epilogue screens for the bad ending it isn't written that Ciri dies, it's written that as of the time of the epilogue it's not yet known what happened to her. While I strongly believe that she died in that ending I could as well see an imaginary sequel showing Geralt waking up from his catatonic state at the last second and Ciri coming back later.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So uh, I bought the expansion pass after my last post and start playing it last night

This seems a) remarkably lucky and b) prescient of the cutscene to follow

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Witcher 3 is the only game I've seen where the female characters have the agency to dump you for two-timing them. Usually in games you just get a "Pick one of us to progress the relationship" scene/ultimatum.
Mass Effect has this as well.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Crows Turn Off posted:

Mass Effect has this as well.

Didn't Mass Effect use the ultimatum method? I know ME2 did.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nah mass effect forced you to choose one or the other when they confront you. Rather than both of them realizes you're a two timing jerk and ganging up on you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

It can go either way, honestly. You're taking some agency away from Ciri no matter what you pick - if you do bring up Emhyr to her at Kaer Morhen, she's pretty insistent that she doesn't want to see the guy at all, and Geralt has to push her into it. Everything she does from that point on is her choice, though.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nah mass effect forced you to choose one or the other when they confront you. Rather than both of them realizes you're a two timing jerk and ganging up on you
I was thinking about how if you cheat on your romantic partner, they'll break up with you. But I guess it's not exactly the same thing as this game.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

It can go either way, honestly. You're taking some agency away from Ciri no matter what you pick - if you do bring up Emhyr to her at Kaer Morhen, she's pretty insistent that she doesn't want to see the guy at all, and Geralt has to push her into it. Everything she does from that point on is her choice, though.

Yeah, in mine I said that she should go see him but that he was clearly up to something, and she decided not to go...

Also, if you do go see him - the whole soul crushing scene where guy counts out the coin? lol if you don't think Emhyr planned the whole thing to make Geralt look as bad as possible in front of his daughter. What a dick!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Strategic Tea posted:

Also, if you do go see him - the whole soul crushing scene where guy counts out the coin? lol if you don't think Emhyr planned the whole thing to make Geralt look as bad as possible in front of his daughter. What a dick!

You can refuse the coin and turn it into one of those events that Siri remembers fondly for the finale. She grabs and tightly holds Geralt's hand behind his back as he says that he didn't do it for the money.

More importantly, you also get Roach v2.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Rather Dashing posted:

You can refuse the coin and turn it into one of those events that Siri remembers fondly for the finale. She grabs and tightly holds Geralt's hand behind his back as he says that he didn't do it for the money.

More importantly, you also get Roach v2.

Oh yeah, true. I just think it shows that Ciri was right not to trust her dad, because he clearly orchestrated the whole thing to manipulate her. The finale shows that he really did want to meet his daughter, but at the same time there was no way he wouldn't break her heart to get exactly what he wanted politically. Aw man I love Emhyr :allears:

And I preferred original Roach. Ever faithful horse-brosis.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

SirSamVimes posted:

I agree, Geralt is definitely understanding of someone's reasons for murdering every man, woman and child in a village. It's not like his entire thing is defending the innocent and bringing justice to evil scum or anything.

And I always assume, given his connection with Ciri, anyone who knowingly endangered or harmed children would very quickly find themselves on the pointy ends of a pissed off witcher's swords.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I Fuckin loved this game. When is blood and wine coming out?

I feel like it deserves a replay of there is a lot of time now.

I didn't get to see Letho, I feel like I need to play it again before it drops of there is time, since it has been a while.

I love that Geralt is supposed to be a badass warrior, but he is a big softie that everyone rags on, and all of his dad jokes.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

And I always assume, given his connection with Ciri, anyone who knowingly endangered or harmed children would very quickly find themselves on the pointy ends of a pissed off witcher's swords.

It is a cool mechanic being a dad who is trying to rescue their daughter. Most RPGs you're Joe Young Guy who has to save the world. In this one Geralt arguably isn't the protagonist - Ciri is obviously the most important person in the story and Geralt's job is more about helping her be the person she can be than anything.

They need to make more RPGs where you're just a grizzled dad tryin to save your kid.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yeah the Last of Us was also pretty good. We need more Dad-adoptive daughter games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah the Last of Us was also pretty good. We need more Dad-adoptive daughter games.

Eh, story wise Last of Us is alright, but I can't get behind the controls. Any game that makes you sluggish to invoke a sense of difficulty is going about it the wrong way, I feel.

Right now I'm on my second playthrough while I wait for Witcher 2's updates to download. So then I can play Witcher 2 to make a save file with a Blue Stripes Tattoo so I can play through Witcher 3 a third time. It's an endless cycle.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The Walking Dead Season 1.

:cry:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Arcsquad12 posted:

Eh, story wise Last of Us is alright, but I can't get behind the controls. Any game that makes you sluggish to invoke a sense of difficulty is going about it the wrong way, I feel.

Right now I'm on my second playthrough while I wait for Witcher 2's updates to download. So then I can play Witcher 2 to make a save file with a Blue Stripes Tattoo so I can play through Witcher 3 a third time. It's an endless cycle.

Only watched LPs of it :shobon:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Witcher Ciri doesn't need to be long, because she's finally able to be with her father (TRUE father) for the rest of her life. Empress Ciri wants to hit home how tragic things are for Geralt, but with a glimmer of hope that he will see her again, sometime.

Ending: Witcher Ciri just goes on a trip around the world with Geralt before going their separate way as Geralt retires.

But then her superpower is literally teleport anywhere so she could pop over for dinner with Geralt and Yen/Triss pretty much any time regardless of if she's witcher or empress.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nier's another good choice here.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fallout 4 is also a dad game and look how that ended up. Shower With Your Dad Simulator came out in 2015 too :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Heavy Rain Best Dad Game because of the press X to Jason/Sean button
Truly authentic Dad experience assuming your children are called Jason and/or Sean and you frequently endanger them.