Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

What if we put chemical weapons in the landmines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
No but you see, if everyone has guns we can defend ourselves like in tomorrow when the war began, except they never used guns

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Cleretic posted:

You realize that, if we did get invaded (un-loving-likely), they would be arriving on the coastlines, right? What with there being literally no other way to hit us?

Given that, I'm sure you also realize that almost every single one of our cities is a coastal city? Because there's poo poo loving all to found a city on in landlocked regions?

Landmines are one of the least valuable defenses we could ever have, because these hypothetical invaders aren't going to want to take land routes anyway because we're loving huge and have massive stretches of nothing. Which, as luck would have it, would also make landmines loving useless as a defense because of a lack of strategically advantageous places to put them. What, are you going to litter a country road between Melbourne and Sydney with them, when there's honking great stretches of flat land to go around them?

We can mine shorelines etc.

Look, I'm not advocating we temporarily close Surfers Paradise to put in a remotely-activated minefield. We'd probably never deploy them. But why restrict ourselves?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/wrongdorey/status/727113258243514368

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/CochraneCBC/status/727093414127374336

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

LibertyCat posted:

We can mine shorelines etc.

Look, I'm not advocating we temporarily close Surfers Paradise to put in a remotely-activated minefield. We'd probably never deploy them. But why restrict ourselves?

Why restrict ourselves with chemical weapons? It is a better alternative than feasibly landmining our coastline, you can just sarin gas the approaching ships. Rocketry is better than what it was in World War II. It's bullshit that Americans get to use it in 'nam, but we can't in our fantasy World War III scenarios.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

LibertyCat posted:

If we're at the point where we'd seriously use chemicals weapons, we're already screwed.

Why restrict ourselves :confused:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

What's the point of landmines when you have a bloody great desert with no water in the middle of Australia plus all manner of deadly snakes, spiders, dropbears etc. The country basically defends itself.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Who would even want to invade this shithole country anyway

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I am eagely waiting liberation by a country which is racist/backwards

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
If Australia was invaded wouldn't our property market crash?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

foreign invaders are just trying to get to the auction on time

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
To answer your question Libertycat, we restrict ourselves from something useless to us in the hope other people will agree to also restrict themselves.

If you can't see the point of this then it's just another thing in the long list of things you're wrong about.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
lmao

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Libertycat's soft-on-terror approach will leave us vulnerable to hordes of gay female Muslim suicide bombers swarming ashore at Bondi Beach because we refused to cover it with chemical weapon landmines. Mr LibertyCat I have to ask you once again, why do you love terrorism so much?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/a_rigby/status/727124160254615552

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
how many more numbered agendas can we get to scare libertarians, i love them

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Seagull posted:

how many more numbered agendas can we get to scare libertarians, i love them

As many as there are multiples of 3.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

ScoMo is gonna bring home the bacon

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

LibertyCat, are you also concerned about Order 66?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm more interested in agenda 69 hehehe

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://stopturnbull.com/

I think I found LibertyCat's website, pure crazy.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
vape meet melb 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Up early and catching up with Laura Tingle on Phil Adams little wireless program. What she's saying about the Budget is a bit worrying. To paraphrase "I can't believe that the Budget as leaked is all there is because it seems like there's very little outside concessions to high income earners, not repairing the political damage of the 2014 budget, and I can't believe that, despite the hapless PM and Treasurer, senior experienced hands in the government aren't making sure the right political things are done."

If I read between the tea leaves of such foreboding, certain government people might want this Budget to fail. Either they're doubling down or they're being left high and dry for someone else to swoop in and "fix" things for the election. Doubling down on 2014 sounds like a perfect suicide note for the LNP as it currently exists.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Reading the UPF Facebook page, it is only a matter of time until one of those extremists attacks some and either seriously injures or kills someone.

The rhetoric being espoused is incredible, I can't believe that it just keeps on getting worse!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

EeeeeUuuuuugh

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Greens MP Dr John Kaye has died overnight.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy poo poo, that's almost hilarious

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

holy gently caress

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I don't know why anyone would advocate Australia leaving conventions "just in case". With how much respect we're showing the convention we signed on refugees I'm pretty sure we'd just say gently caress the conventions and lay mines or use chemical weapons or whatever else we thought was a good idea at the time. Our country went insane because refugees in rickety boats were coming here. There's no chance we'd show anything approaching restraint in the face of an actual invasion.

Also the more I think about it this country seems like it would be horrific to govern as a foreign power. A bunch of spread out hateful xenophobes in a country that can only be reached by sea and is far away from your centre of power. gently caress that.

EDIT: Also I can't believe anyone thought that front page was a good idea.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I'm convinced that the newspapers can't afford any quality editing staff anymore. It's basically a university newspaper operation at this point

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Just saw this, gently caress :(

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

This is awful, John Kaye was such an incredible MP and activist :(

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hey ladies, want to go cut taxes?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm terrified that being "wooed back to work" will involve lower income mothers choosing between working without benefit or eating their own young to survive and higher income mothers getting a taxpayer subsidised wet nurse.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Kat Delacour posted:

I'm terrified that being "wooed back to work" will involve lower income mothers choosing between working without benefit or eating their own young to survive and higher income mothers getting a taxpayer subsidised wet nurse.

Wet nurse for the dole?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Nah I'm pretty sure it'll be free childcare and training, designed to be flexible and able to accommodate the full diversity of new mothers.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Free seems doubtful under the banner of living within our means. Even if it was free I'm not certain we have capacity to give free childcare to everyone who wanted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Cartoon posted:

I obliquely referred to what China was doing and I'd agree they are being bullies but the US have been playing neo colonialists in the region (Japan, Phillipines, need I mention Vietnam?) I'm not seeing them as being a preferred party if we did indeed have to choose between China and the USA. I mean I could have mentioned Tibet . The Chinese have been remarkably patient with Taiwan for example.

Despite all the past actions of the Americans, China are being such shitheads, that America is seen as a necessary and positive player by Vietnam, Phillipines, etc
Despite all the past actions of the Japanese, China are being such shitheads that Japan is being seen positively by players in the south china sea dispute

quote:

Former Cold War adversaries the Philippines and Vietnam have agreed to deepen security ties in response to China's aggressive actions in the South China Sea.
The countries have signalled joint war games and navy patrols amid a flurry of moves across Asia aimed at countering China amid high tensions over the flashpoint waters.
In a further strengthening of regional alliances two Japanese war ships made rare port calls in Vietnam this week. Japan, which is locked in a bitter dispute with China over eight uninhabited islands in the East China Sea, has moved to step-up security ties with south-east Asia nations in recent months.
Link

quote:

Vietnamese fishermen have accused Chinese authorities in the past of harassing and attacking them while at sea. In May last year, Chinese and Vietnamese ships collided as Beijing tried to set up an oil rig in the South China Sea. Vietnam released footage of a Chinese ship ramming and sinking a Vietnamese fishing boat.
Link

quote:

The Philippines has been pursuing closer ties with Japan to counter China's naval influence in the region, and has filed an arbitration case with an UN-backed tribunal challenging the legality of China's claims in the South China Sea.
Link

quote:

Japan and China also have conflicting claims over islets in the East China Sea. Japan is increasing its presence in the South China Sea, sending more ships and planes to allies in Southeast Asia, like Vietnam and the Philippines.

The Philippines and the United States start military drills on Monday, including simulating the retaking an island seized by an imaginary enemy in the South China Sea, an exercise likely to rile China.
Link

Chinese fishermen destroying coral reefs, rare species

Basically google south china seas in the news section and have a read

• Locked thread