Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

What would be really neat, is to actually be able to use my storage to pass items to another character. I think it'd be really neat to be able to pass down some of this awesome gear I'm finding as I progress to a new character.

I am planning to transfer all the cool end game stuff to a new character immediately when I finish my first playthrough.

On another note, I'm back at this after getting very angry at piss poor performance and crashing on Saturday. I'm at the Dancer fight now and it's challenging because that room is prone to crashing. :downsgun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Obligatum VII posted:

I... I... really wish I had known about this. Well, my life will be a lot easier going forward.

D-Pad down is first item slot, usually estus.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
Last night on I was going through NG+ and decided to throw on Aldritch for kicks, was surprised to actually get a large number of summons. I won most fights until all of a sudden I was repeatedly summoned to a group of 3 players, 2 dressed as Ornstein and Smough and another white phantom. Not only did they 3 on 1 me, but every time I got summoned they were standing directly behind the spot I zoned in. This was on Xbox One as well, is there a way to game where enemy summons spawn?

I also found out that the same rules which apply to normal co-op apply to NPC quest summons. Managed to kill Aldrich to wrap up Anri's quest last night, and since her instinct is to stand completely still when 5000 arrows are being fired at her I grabbed the largest fire weapon I had and killed him in under a minute but got both the "Anri has died, returning to your world" followed by "Duty Fulfilled" messages. She still left her sword for me despite being dead, which was nice, and I was able to get her armor afterwards.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
As I recall most of the spawn points are static in each zone. Or at least they are in the few I've intentionally summoned people into.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Babe Magnet posted:

so sometimes you might think to yourself "hey I'll do a gimmick build of a cool character and do some low level pvp, spice some people's games up a bit"

sometimes your stats might look a little like this:

here's a hot tip on how to go about this whole business:

loving don't because this is what "low level" dark souls is now

http://handbeezy.com/media/videos/371.webm

This is from like ten pages back but yeah don't bother before like Irithyll, it's a dumpster fire.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Welp!

I got attacked by a hacker last night and now if I attempt to load anything but the character attacked by him I get all my saves removed and in it's place I get a level 9 knight with no name.

Normal:

After attempting to load "Mr Dothefires":

Szcwczuk fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 2, 2016

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tfw you havent encountered any hackers, you have all the Darkmoon and Watchdog rewards, and you found the Pale Shade set completely on your own.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Szcwczuk posted:

Welp!

I got attacked by a hacker last night and now if I attempt to load anything but the character attacked by him I get all my saves removed and in it's place I get a level 9 knight with no name.

Pro-tip: use this backup tool until some anti-cheat has been patched in. Bamco officially endorses the use of save backup tools.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Alabaster White posted:

Pro-tip: use this backup tool until some anti-cheat has been patched in. Bamco officially endorses the use of save backup tools.

Used my own I went back 20 backups it's still doing it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Szcwczuk posted:

Well, RIP.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Szcwczuk posted:

Wow, you got hosed. Who the gently caress does something like that?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ArtIsResistance posted:

I think I should start uploading some of my ps4 videos so here's a video of my truly magical nameless king fight featuring the worst phase 1 ever known to man and an even better finale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHmmx4XuJ8

lol I don't get it this looks like a typical Nameless King attempt to me. Except I use the Dragonslayer Spear conveniently placed earlier in the zone to kill the giant chicken quickly and your video doesn't have the inevitable three back-to-back chugs of sunny D where each chug is immediately followed by an attack that undoes it.

Maybe it's Bloodborne habits making this fight tough, I don't know. Like, right from Papa G, Bloodborne teaches you to never ever dodge backwards or try to create room for any reason ever because every boss moveset is designed around punishing players for trying to make space. NK has distance closers but they have a really long windup so it seems like running away is actually the way to heal safely during that fight idk.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Now we know who the ashes of the dreamer belonged to.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Over 100 hours of saves got hosed I can at least still use one of my guys....heh.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
le glorious pc master race :iamafag:

This is the exact reason I picked this up on the PS4

that and my gaming PC's power supply blew up a few months ago and fried most of the components in the process

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

From Software: good at making games, not super great at making software.

Jesus.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
I don't own a console but this is really the fault of FROM here. I just tired a save from 4/20/2016 and it was also hosed. I check the MD5(s) of the "game" dir and one of them was hosed so I'm thinking it might be an issue with the install.

I hope this means it was something I did and not that "hackers" can inject code.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If there are direct connections between players then the code is probably rife with buffer overflows and arbitrary code execution exploits. Even in security-conscious software like internet-facing servers this sort of things crops up from time to time, for videogame code written to videogame deadlines during videogame development crazy working hours it's going to be much worse.

Corrupting your save directory is one of the more benign things an exploiter could do.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

From Software makes games that are so cool and unlike anything else, and yet every one of them has several really sloppy mistakes. Some of them are harmless enough, like missing textures in the most obvious spots that make you wonder how in the world they could have missed it. Or really sloppy repeating textures on walls and whatnot that look like something out of an N64 game. But then there's offensively horrible poo poo like what hackers are able to do in this game.

How could they possibly let stuff like this through? What did they change about Dark Souls 3 that makes hackers so much more dangerous than in 2? I know programming isn't easy, especially in gaming when there's deadlines to meet and pressure and whatnot, but seriously, what did they gently caress with to let this through?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
This might actually be my last try to get any fun out of invasions, and by that length, the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf3Wj_d-aOE

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MrSmokes posted:

How could they possibly let stuff like this through? What did they change about Dark Souls 3 that makes hackers so much more dangerous than in 2? I know programming isn't easy, especially in gaming when there's deadlines to meet and pressure and whatnot, but seriously, what did they gently caress with to let this through?

They used the data structures/internal game logic of DS1 instead of DS2, more or less just ripping it wholesale out of the first game. It allowed you to do much of what you can do in DS3 in DS1, as the way weapon on-hit effects are handled allows you to force weapons to execute arbitrary effects like giving people a billion souls or, it seems, loving up people's saves beyond imagination.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Writing secure code in low-level languages is hard. Really hard. Even the best programmers with lots of secure coding experience and ample deadlines screw this up from time to time. It's amazing that truly malicious exploits for game netcode are as rare as they are.

Even OpenSSH has occasional security bugs in it, and in terms of impact that's probably one of the most security-critical pieces of program code out there.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

From Software: good at making games, not super great at making software.

Jesus.

The most baffling thing is that they did it right in DS2 and this kind of stuff wasn't possible.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

Writing secure code in low-level languages is hard. Really hard. Even the best programmers with lots of secure coding experience and ample deadlines screw this up from time to time. It's amazing that truly malicious exploits for game netcode are as rare as they are.

Even OpenSSH has occasional security bugs in it, and in terms of impact that's probably one of the most security-critical pieces of program code out there.

The thing is, like... you could not do this stuff in DS2. They already had a fix for this sitting there, waiting to be used. They chose to use DS1's internal game logic because it was presumably compatible with the PS4-only Bloodborne's engine, and Namco-Bandai/From Software gave exactly zero shits about the potential ramifications for online play on PC. There is absolutely no way they do not, at this point, know about the CheatEngine software and what it can do, given that this sort of stuff has been happening since DS1.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 2, 2016

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
if this game is p2p and people invade my game, why do my attacks lag against them? Am i not the host? what kind of netcode is at play here

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm rolling through NG+ and it's amazing just how speedrunable the game is when you're not really interested in exploring or picking up every shiny :v: I'm just ring hunting and trying not to gently caress up the usurpation of fire ending on this run, really. Getting plenty of Darkmoon summons at SL110ish but getting my rear end handed to me more often than not. Good times. Almost at the breakpoint where my Chaos Estoc will do more damage than my Lightning Red Halberd. The Halberd is fun, but I'm used to the faster Estoc pokes. I feel like once I platinum this game I might say gently caress it to all forms of magic and just go full on Knight. The lack of magic might finally force me to git gud.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Liu posted:

if this game is p2p and people invade my game, why do my attacks lag against them? Am i not the host? what kind of netcode is at play here

You ask a server if you hit him the server asks him if he got hit. Sometimes it goes wrong.

There is a handshake in the middle of the PVP transaction.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I may not like DS2 as a game, but they did a solid job making it work on PC and that's starting to look more and more impressive as we find out more about what a technical clusterfuck DS3 on PC is.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Brannock posted:

Have you been to any irl cathedrals? Inspiring Awe in you is, like, their entire purpose.

True, but since they are Catholic cathedrals, the awe comes from the riot of colors and ornate decorators.

These buildings and walls are colossal. Like, a humble tower on this game is as large as the Chrysler building.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

MrSmokes posted:

From Software makes games that are so cool and unlike anything else, and yet every one of them has several really sloppy mistakes. Some of them are harmless enough, like missing textures in the most obvious spots that make you wonder how in the world they could have missed it. Or really sloppy repeating textures on walls and whatnot that look like something out of an N64 game. But then there's offensively horrible poo poo like what hackers are able to do in this game.

only baka gaijin play this game on a PC. the PC port is the lowest priority; as long as it doesn't literally cause your computer to explode into a thousand pieces, they'll ship it because gently caress you

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

At the very least From's PC ports haven't been able to brick your windows installation yet. :cheeky:

Mr Dog posted:

It's amazing that truly malicious exploits for game netcode are as rare as they are.
That's probably because it's not worth the effort at all to hack a tiny amount of players of a single video game.

Although do you have any links/examples of this happening? It does sound interesting.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Really, the biggest crime is end loading all of the cool items and making the beginning a slog in terms of your build. I was always under the impression that you loaded the early, early -mid part of the game with a poo poo ton of items and then the rest of the game is evolving your style.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Liu posted:

What was said above, basically both clients have to agree that a thing happened for it to happen. Sometimes they don't agree and nothing happens, sometimes they don't agree and weird poo poo happens anyway (like building up Bleed without taking damage from the actual attack).

:darksouls:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Exodee posted:

At the very least From's PC ports haven't been able to brick your windows installation yet. :cheeky:

From what I'm reading it totally can right now. Play offline if you can.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blacktoll posted:

Really, the biggest crime is end loading all of the cool items and making the beginning a slog in terms of your build. I was always under the impression that you loaded the early, early -mid part of the game with a poo poo ton of items and then the rest of the game is evolving your style.

It'd be more acceptable if, like DS2, it had an actual NG+ instead of, "NG, but slightly harder!" Once you've gone through this game once, that's it. You're done, more or less. There's nothing new to be gained by advancing to NG+ except for slightly better statistical boosts for your rings.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

homeless poster posted:

only baka gaijin play this game on a PC. the PC port is the lowest priority; as long as it doesn't literally cause your computer to explode into a thousand pieces, they'll ship it because gently caress you

Dark Souls 2's PC port and Scholar of the First Sin were pretty rock loving solid besides some whatever gameplay hiccups like the FPS durability thing, and while you could hack in them, it wasn't really possible to gently caress with people on remotely the same level as you can in Dark 3.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hey, From Software: bring back the loving B-Team. We forgive them.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Different dev team. That dev team basically went DS1 -> Bloodborne -> DS3.

The :iamafag: B Team :iamafag: got started on DS2 concurrently with Bloodborne, more or less? Except the project ran into trouble and they had to scrap a lot of what they'd developed and redo it. Their engine is completely different. I guess by the time that DS2 development with all of its DLCs was complete the DS3 project was already in motion, so they couldn't switch to using the DS2 engine which ended up being more or less a dead end.

You can kinda see it from the total lack of DS2's quality-of-life improvements in Bloodborne.

A pity too. DS2 was the better engine in terms of having more fun PvP and also not giving cheaters the ability to stab you with a +17 Dagger of FORMAT C:

Blacktoll posted:

Yet another thing that DS2 really got right and the later games learned absolutely nothing from. Bloodborne was absolutely terrible in this regard.

But guys guys there's an elevator from the poison-soaked base of a mountain into its lava-filled caldera!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Szcwczuk posted:

From what I'm reading it totally can right now. Play offline if you can.

Source?