Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
I find that being straight up with security staff will get you in most anywhere. If you come up against a machine of a person who will not budge, just thank them, walk away, and try the other entrance. There's bound to be a human being around somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

photomikey posted:

Can't you call and tell them what happened and swap it out? I get why they wouldn't want to do it halfway through the festival, but it's a month away.

My wife bought it from a ticket reseller and the festival will only help you if you bought it direct.

I can get it on my wrist, I'm just worried about the fabric being all messed up.

Edit: Because I know the whole point of the wristband is that you aren't supposed to be able to loosen it, so if it's obvious I did will it matter? I'm just paranoid because I really don't want to fly there, pay for a hotel, etc and then get turned away.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 30, 2016

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Slavvy posted:

That's what I've been doing but wanted to make sure I wasn't going to blind myself. Thanks for all the answers guys!

Why would you think that advice would not blind you. Things are manufactured in places that have some pretty sophisticated systems in place. You take your contacts out in the room you poo poo in.

Switch to single use contacts.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Is there some way to automate car shopping? I have searched and can't seem to find something that just crawls google results or something like that.

I'm thinking there has to be someone who has done this since every other product out there has aggregation sites.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What exactly are you trying to do? Buy a new car? Used?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How far does electricity travel in water? I know it depends on a lot of factors, but say for example you dropped a toaster into a bathtub you would electrocute yourself, but what about an olympic sized pool? Would it disperse evenly throughout the pool or would one end of the pool more dangerous than the other? Alternately, if the whole pool was electrified how much space would you need for it to be safe?

Sorry if that is phrased poorly, I obviously don't know much about electricity embarrassingly.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
There is a car-buying thread in this forum that is more help than whatever car aggregation site would ever be.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My wife wants to go to a concert for her birthday. Concert is in our city. Tickets $76/ea, Ticketmaster fee $19/ea. First of all, everyone hated Ticketmaster twenty years ago when I went to concerts - how are they still in business? Second, $19/ea? loving seriously? Is there some way around this? Do they charge the same fee at the box office?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

NESguerilla posted:

How far does electricity travel in water? I know it depends on a lot of factors, but say for example you dropped a toaster into a bathtub you would electrocute yourself, but what about an olympic sized pool? Would it disperse evenly throughout the pool or would one end of the pool more dangerous than the other? Alternately, if the whole pool was electrified how much space would you need for it to be safe?

Sorry if that is phrased poorly, I obviously don't know much about electricity embarrassingly.

I can't give you numbers, but here's a demonstration by a professional crazyman electrical engineer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcrY59nGxBg

Edit:
I feel bad posting this without the following warning because of your comment about not knowing much about electricity and he didn't really stress it enough in the video: Do not loving do this (or anything else he does). If that guy wasn't isolated from ground and didn't know what he was doing he could have been killed.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 1, 2016

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

photomikey posted:

My wife wants to go to a concert for her birthday. Concert is in our city. Tickets $76/ea, Ticketmaster fee $19/ea. First of all, everyone hated Ticketmaster twenty years ago when I went to concerts - how are they still in business? Second, $19/ea? loving seriously? Is there some way around this? Do they charge the same fee at the box office?

Is the box office open on Sundays to call directly and ask about ticket sales? $19 per ticket seems outrageous.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

photomikey posted:

This only answers the least helpful of your questions but I'm in a community band and sometimes we have to use ticketmaster for selling tickets to our performances because of the venue we're using. I assume they stay in business by having exclusive deals with venues to force anyone who plays at that venue to use their service for online ticket sales. Doesn't matter that eveyone hates them then!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

photomikey posted:

Ticketmaster acts as a front to take all the heat when the band, venue and promoters suck up most of those Ticketmaster fees. Everyone hates Ticketmaster already so they don't care.

quote:

This statement reveals a new truth behind the foggy nature of the fees, usually $12 to $15, and suggests that in addition to providing the service of selling tickets, Ticketmaster also offered itself up to certain clients as a kind of protection service. Worried about being perceived as greedy to your fans and/or customers? Sign on with us, and we’ll be the bad guy.

http://www.laweekly.com/music/ticketmaster-and-servants-bands-get-cut-of-service-fee-2158605

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I've been trying to find a thread that talks about/posts classical art, does this thread exist? If not where would I start it Academics or just Ask/Tell? Any other threads just talking about other artists would be cool too if people know of them.

Nude fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 2, 2016

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Question about house buying. I could only find the apartment thread so if their is a better spot to post this let me know. Anyway, in August last year we made an offer and it was excepted pending inspection. Inspection relieved the septic system is the original from 54' and is way out of code. I ask for a new one and they agree with it.

Quick back story for the home is its owned buy a brother and sister who got the home in 2001 for $1 from their mother. The daughter lived their rent free as long as she kept the house nice. She got sick and was moved to a home and the house went up on market. The disclosure was pretty much "don't know anything about the home" as the son who didn't live their is selling it.

So closing date is set for the 30th of October and as it gets closer I notice little effort is put into getting the system in. I make calls and give them the contacts to have it done but nothing is done. I had paid for inspections and appraisal and had all my funds and loan set up as the 30th passes. We reschedule and still nothing we reschedule again and still nothing. It's December/January now and surprise they can't get the test needed due to the ground being to wet. Next date is set for Mid-March which passes with nothing happening. A new closing date is set for May 13th.

In this time all the inspections I paid for have expired and will have to be redone for the loan. Also we have had are home packed and ready to move out since October.

Last week we found another house. We go for a tour and it matches what we are looking for and is move in ready. My realtor talks to them and tells them the situation. We are ready to make an offer but since we are in contract need to wait till the 13th. In the meantime the realtor will inform ours if another offer comes in.

I just want to make an offer and start the process on closing on the new house. I'm willing to take a hit on the inspections but want my good faith money back. Am I screwed till the 13th when the contract expires again? (nothing has been done to the system for 9 months now) or is their a way out so we can move on?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I would tell my realtor "if you don't have me out of this deal in 24 hours I will be finding a new realtor", and then I would follow through with that promise.

Actually, if I had a realtor who set an Oct 30th close on a house and in May we still hadn't closed on that house, I'd fire him regardless. There is other stuff wrong with your scenario (unless the sister is mentally handicapped or dead, she is not immune from disclosure).

Then I'd find a new realtor.

Then I'd buy the new house.

You will get your good faith money back.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

photomikey posted:

I would tell my realtor "if you don't have me out of this deal in 24 hours I will be finding a new realtor", and then I would follow through with that promise.

Actually, if I had a realtor who set an Oct 30th close on a house and in May we still hadn't closed on that house, I'd fire him regardless. There is other stuff wrong with your scenario (unless the sister is mentally handicapped or dead, she is not immune from disclosure).

The sister is mentally handicapped now that's why they moved her out.
We stuck with this house because we liked it enough that we figured the wait would be worth it but it's not anymore.
Our realitior does call constantly and has been pushing them to get poo poo done. Also has been telling us to move on from this house since November.

I will call her tomorrow and tell her we want out of the contract.
I figured if she asks them if their client is ready to close on the 13th and they say no then she can say that's it.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Question about house buying. I could only find the apartment thread so if their is a better spot to post this let me know. Anyway, in August last year we made an offer and it was excepted pending inspection. Inspection relieved the septic system is the original from 54' and is way out of code. I ask for a new one and they agree with it.

Quick back story for the home is its owned buy a brother and sister who got the home in 2001 for $1 from their mother. The daughter lived their rent free as long as she kept the house nice. She got sick and was moved to a home and the house went up on market. The disclosure was pretty much "don't know anything about the home" as the son who didn't live their is selling it.

So closing date is set for the 30th of October and as it gets closer I notice little effort is put into getting the system in. I make calls and give them the contacts to have it done but nothing is done. I had paid for inspections and appraisal and had all my funds and loan set up as the 30th passes. We reschedule and still nothing we reschedule again and still nothing. It's December/January now and surprise they can't get the test needed due to the ground being to wet. Next date is set for Mid-March which passes with nothing happening. A new closing date is set for May 13th.

In this time all the inspections I paid for have expired and will have to be redone for the loan. Also we have had are home packed and ready to move out since October.

Last week we found another house. We go for a tour and it matches what we are looking for and is move in ready. My realtor talks to them and tells them the situation. We are ready to make an offer but since we are in contract need to wait till the 13th. In the meantime the realtor will inform ours if another offer comes in.

I just want to make an offer and start the process on closing on the new house. I'm willing to take a hit on the inspections but want my good faith money back. Am I screwed till the 13th when the contract expires again? (nothing has been done to the system for 9 months now) or is their a way out so we can move on?

There's a house buying thread in BFC, you could try asking there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Super Dan posted:

There's a house buying thread in BFC, you could try asking there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399

Cool thank you

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
"The way I see it you can do either A or B. Otherwise you're done for."

Problems with that statement: The way the speaker sees it is bizarre or malicious and the two choices are both questionable. Is there a word for twisting things like that?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Double bind, maybe?

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

That's it! Thanks, Vegetable. I'll keep your solution in mind too, stubblyhead. :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

"The way I see it you can do either A or B. Otherwise you're done for."

Problems with that statement: The way the speaker sees it is bizarre or malicious and the two choices are both questionable. Is there a word for twisting things like that?

Kind of an ultimatum, since c results in doom.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
This is too stupid and small for even SH/S, so here goes.

tl;dr: where can I find a reliable goon to rescue a lapsed homepage/domain name for small payment?

A dumbass acquaintance that I'm inexcusably slightly financially tied to let his web domain lapse somehow and his homepage (which I need to be up and running for my benefit) is just a blank page with the "Related links" placeholder and all that and links to DNS rescue instructions and whatever. I know the answer is "just google it" but I'm up to my loving nutsack in other business problems right now. How do I find some savvy small consultant who can do this poo poo in his sleep to have him rescue the domain, sign it up under GoDaddy or whatever, rescue what he can of the site off Wayback and put up a "we're changing hosts, bear with us" message or even a loving 1990s esque "site under construction" banner or something until we can hire someone to revamp the site? I just need someone credible enough that I can send them money to fix this poo poo-sandwich, and not worry they'll pocket my PayPal payment, or try to hold the domain (which is barely worth anything) hostage for a case of beer or some dumb poo poo.

I don't want "just PM noted goon Buttchuggler6969 to do it" since I need at least some reliability, but if there's any goon who's been around here a while and is a cool person, and has some vague form of professional business presence online, I'd be happy to PayPal him/her/xir a few bucks just to do immediate defensive actions on the site, since I'm stuck in West Africa trying hard not to murder people over invoices right now and my acquaintance is on the other side of the planet and not at all taking this seriously because, hey who else is gonna drink these High Lifes and fingerbang these Austin bar skanks, amirite?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Here's my dumb question of the week. I had an MRI scan a little while ago and I was struck by how tiny the central cylinder where the patient lies is. I'm not exactly large and it felt like there was very little room to spare. How do they deal with fat people? Do they have bigger machines? Do they just say that scanning option isn't available? Do they squeeze them in there like thinking putty going back into its pot?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ineptmule posted:

Here's my dumb question of the week. I had an MRI scan a little while ago and I was struck by how tiny the central cylinder where the patient lies is. I'm not exactly large and it felt like there was very little room to spare. How do they deal with fat people? Do they have bigger machines? Do they just say that scanning option isn't available? Do they squeeze them in there like thinking putty going back into its pot?

There are larger machines. Some of the time reallly fat people have to be taken to zoos to use them, because zoos handling large animals need large MRI machines to examine them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

hey who else is gonna drink these High Lifes and fingerbang these Austin bar skanks, amirite?

I can help with this part, please PM me.

Please

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

bongwizzard posted:

I can help with this part, please PM me.

Please

If I know buddy-boy, he's already got it covered up to three knuckles with eight out of ten finger, minimum.

Though it being Austin, I may have spoken inaccurately and it may well be Lone Star or Pearl vice High Life. He might also be playing 42 (local dominoes whist game) at the same time. It's like I can envision and even smell it as we speak. I don't want to make any legally actionable statements, but it's Texas and y'all know me by rep, so I'll say strong emotions will be expressed once I get my rear end out of Senegal and back to ATX.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

tl;dr: where can I find a reliable goon to rescue a lapsed homepage/domain name for small payment?

A dumbass acquaintance that I'm inexcusably slightly financially tied to let his web domain lapse somehow and his homepage (which I need to be up and running for my benefit) is just a blank page with the "Related links" placeholder and all that and links to DNS rescue instructions and whatever. I know the answer is "just google it" but I'm up to my loving nutsack in other business problems right now. How do I find some savvy small consultant who can do this poo poo in his sleep to have him rescue the domain, sign it up under GoDaddy or whatever, rescue what he can of the site off Wayback and put up a "we're changing hosts, bear with us" message or even a loving 1990s esque "site under construction" banner or something until we can hire someone to revamp the site? I just need someone credible enough that I can send them money to fix this poo poo-sandwich, and not worry they'll pocket my PayPal payment, or try to hold the domain (which is barely worth anything) hostage for a case of beer or some dumb poo poo.

I don't want "just PM noted goon Buttchuggler6969 to do it" since I need at least some reliability, but if there's any goon who's been around here a while and is a cool person, and has some vague form of professional business presence online, I'd be happy to PayPal him/her/xir a few bucks just to do immediate defensive actions on the site, since I'm stuck in West Africa trying hard not to murder people over invoices right now and my acquaintance is on the other side of the planet and not at all taking this seriously because, hey who else is gonna drink these High Lifes and fingerbang these Austin bar skanks, amirite?

PM me the domain and any pertinent info (what software was running on the site, who was/is the web host and domain name registrar, etc). I may or may not be able to help, but I can at least give you an idea of how feasible all of this is going to be.

Otherwise you could also try in the Goons for Hire: Get your Developers here thread.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

kedo posted:

PM me the domain and any pertinent info (what software was running on the site, who was/is the web host and domain name registrar, etc). I may or may not be able to help, but I can at least give you an idea of how feasible all of this is going to be.

Otherwise you could also try in the Goons for Hire: Get your Developers here thread.

I asked in SA Mart and got some free advice; ran the WhoIs and its registered to enom.com under Buddy Boy's name and Austin address. Pinged him and he says it "may" have been three years ago exactly he had a friend help him set up a three-year plan, so crossing fingers and hoping he just lost the page because we have no storage space but still have a claim to the domain itself.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
With the recent brouhaha over Target's transgender bathroom policy, I have a question: How does one prove one is a transgender person if confronted?

And if there was ever an example of "do not read the comments section", see Fox News. Or, better yet, don't. Ever.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

With the recent brouhaha over Target's transgender bathroom policy, I have a question: How does one prove one is a transgender person if confronted?

Confronted by who? Target's stated policy is to allow people to choose the bathroom that "best aligns with their gender identity" in other words whether you are cis or trans its up to you to use the bathroom you are comfortable with and no one is supposed to be "checking".

If you are referring to the North Carolina law, I think according that law you'd now have to prove that you use a bathroom which matches the gender "on your birth certificate" but I have no idea how that's supposed to be enforced since most people do not carry their birth certificate with them when they use a public bathroom.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You don't check. That's why it's a stupid argument to even have.

I'm starting to think conservatives would like to be able to touch everyones genitals to check though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Earwicker posted:

If you are referring to the North Carolina law, I think according that law you'd now have to prove that you use a bathroom which matches the gender "on your birth certificate" but I have no idea how that's supposed to be enforced since most people do not carry their birth certificate with them when they use a public bathroom.

According that ridiculous law, this guy:

would have to use the ladies room.

Funny thing is, people have been using the restroom with transgender people for years, but now, for some reason, it's an issue.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If his info his still in the whois then that's a good sign, it means it likely can still be renewed. If it's in the grace period then it can be renewed but usually at a higher fee. If it drops, you can utilize a dropcatching service to try and pick it up if you fear someone else may want to register it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

photomikey posted:

Septic always fails. Always. And the answer is escrow.

Any realtor that didn't suggest that the septic money be put into escrow with 25% on the top in case of overrunns and you move in now and hire your own contractor/oversee the job needs to be fired for incompetence.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

FCKGW posted:

If his info his still in the whois then that's a good sign, it means it likely can still be renewed. If it's in the grace period then it can be renewed but usually at a higher fee. If it drops, you can utilize a dropcatching service to try and pick it up if you fear someone else may want to register it.

Update in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774426&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Long short we were within grace period, paid up and host re-posted all our data after we paid penalty. And my friend is clearly a dumbass who can't be trusted with sharp objects or websites.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

fishmech posted:

There are larger machines. Some of the time reallly fat people have to be taken to zoos to use them, because zoos handling large animals need large MRI machines to examine them.

They also have open MRIs. I've been seeing a lot of billboards for them lately. They don't give the best imaging quality, though, so they really try to squeeze you in the traditional MRI if they can.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. How many election cycles did the US go through before the two-party system really became ensconced in its politics?

2. Is there a way to predict when that will happen? I seem to recall from the venerable CGPGrey videos about First-Past-the-Post that it was almost a mathematical certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

ineptmule posted:

If a person can't fit in the MRI machine that's available, they don't get an MRI. The open MRI machines are bigger but there's still a limit because you are sitting within the machine and it closes in on either side, just not in front. They could get other imaging like a CT scan, but CT tables have weight limits, and if they exceed that, they don't get a scan. Depending on why the doctor would want an MRI, there could be other methods of imaging like an xray or ultrasound that could be done, but sometimes "excessive tissue" can make those images hard to interpret.