Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I try to limit his access to video games, don't want to the kid to wind up a nerd like his father.

FIFA is the key to convincing him to love footie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

iajanus posted:

My team is 4-1 in the league but had the fun of playing a top division team in the cup and got bundled out 5-1 last week :(. Stupid random draw; at least we got to play at home so we didn't have the fun of the 1.5 hour drive home our opponents did.

Only downside of last night's awesome game was making a decent save at the beginning of the second half with my groin and spending the next five minutes fighting the urge to throw up. 23 hours later and I can still feel it :(

Is this the FFA cup? I know that here in Victoria they've already started seeding the NPL teams, so you get matches where South Melbourne smash 50 past some park team from the eastern suburbs

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I would wear a cup as a keeper. gently caress the haters. I've been racked way too many times playing foot, baseball, hockey, or skateboarding to care.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Tongues posted:

Is this the FFA cup? I know that here in Victoria they've already started seeding the NPL teams, so you get matches where South Melbourne smash 50 past some park team from the eastern suburbs

Lol no, if we were playing that we'd have been beaten by thirty. We're old and fat :)

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
What do you guys do when you get a dead leg? I got a back heel to my shin from a fat gently caress and my leg went dead immediately, never had that before.

Hurts like a twat when I put weight on it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Usually when people say "dead leg" they mean like a thigh contusion, but regardless sounds like you're going to have to shut it down for awhile and see a doctor if it still hurts to put weight on it. It will probably look like purple hell in a day or two which is kind of satisfying at least.

Minor ones I always tried to keep using it, etc., but obv. there are limits if you tear up a lot of soft tissue or get a bone bruise or something.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

I see - it's the first time I've had it so it feels like what I imagine a dead leg feels like - it that makes any sense - but yes it's entirely the shin.

Regardless, just going to rest it and give it a few days - I was surprised as it immediately went limp after the hit, was worried he may have hit a nerve but I can use it a little more now.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I have dead legs.

There's no recovering

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yay my new goalie jerseys arrived in the post today with my name and number and they didn't manage to gently caress up the style, spelling or colours. Right in time for tomorrow's game, although we're currently tied for first and we're playing the team coming last by a mile so I'll likely not get to do much in it except look awesome :D

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Some Canadian girl who plays co ed football in her college or whatever comes to play with us today.

Based on posts itt I fully expect her to shatter a couple of ankles before the day is over.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

iajanus posted:

Yay my new goalie jerseys arrived in the post today with my name and number and they didn't manage to gently caress up the style, spelling or colours. Right in time for tomorrow's game, although we're currently tied for first and we're playing the team coming last by a mile so I'll likely not get to do much in it except look awesome :D

I forgot to mention that the week I got my new jerseys I broke a finger immediately and have played the next two weeks in the midfield. My loving luck.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Some Canadian girl who plays co ed football in her college or whatever comes to play with us today.

Based on posts itt I fully expect her to shatter a couple of ankles before the day is over.

something something coed sucks something something

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
She was actually a very fair player and had pretty decent technique (better than mine surely) but it was like playing against a child physically. I'd guess coed does suck.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
edit: nah

GREAT SATAN fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 28, 2020

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
If it's like your first time playing, then you're probably doing everything wrong. Right off the bat, if you're passing anything in the air over 10 yards and you have accuracy problems, it's better to think about passing simpler. Otherwise, you're just wasting possession.

Some easy steps to learn to kick...
1. Look at the loving ball when you're kicking it.
2. Placement of your plant foot: Without having one solid foot on the ground, your mechanics will be all kinds of hosed up. The ball will usually go in the same direction your plant foot is point if you're keeping it simple.
3. Balancing the rest of your body: Without good balance, you're gonna fall over yourself and it will greatly impair your ability to pass. Open up your hips/shoulders and don't lean back.
4. Connecting with the ball in the right way: Kicking a ball is just like hitting the cue ball in billiards. Hitting it right in the middle and using the biggest part of the stick is going to give you the most control and the most accuracy. It's no different when you're using your foot on a ball. Your instep and the top of your foot have the most surface area and the middle of the ball is still the ideal place to hit. The rest is just basic physics.

Practice kicking a ball a lot. Passing with at least one other person for a bit is like the warm up everyone should do before a game/practice/pickup/whatever. If you're a loner like that fat dude from wales, kicking a ball against a wall turned him into Maradona and it can do the same for anyone.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
edit: nah

GREAT SATAN fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 28, 2020

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
People always say head over the ball, but that applies to shooting more than passing. Get the rest down and everything else is just momentum and nature.

Opening hips/shoulders is just another way of saying being square with the ball. Have your hips and shoulders facing the same direction, which will hopefully be where the ball is. People have a bad habit of getting all contorted when they're moving and passing simultaneously, so squaring up gets you back into a position where you can let your technique do its thing.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm the assistant coach for one of my daughter's select team. Training starts next week. Pretty excited for the season as we have a great core of returning players and we added some good players, one in particular I'm really excited to see in action. It will be a big transition this year for them as they are playing full sides for the first time with an appropriately sized field.

reptileintheswamp posted:

That's a great response. I do tend to lean away from the ball towards my plant foot, should I try to completely upright? Also, what do you mean by open hips and shoulders?

Right now I'm pretty much a loner but there are adult leagues in the area id like to play in once I know how to do basic things like kick the ball straight

What Vinestalk said. Making sure your plant foot is pointed in the direction you want the ball to go as he said will get your hips/shoulders pointed in the right direction. You don't need to be completely upright but you want your weight over the ball. Leaning back or to the side will rob your power. Also when striking the ball, make sure you drive your foot through the ball as your if you trying to kick something on the other side of the ball. Some cues we use to teach proper technique are ankle locked, toe down, drive through the ball. If you execute correctly you should actually be landing on your shooting foot.

We've talked about tips for new players a fair bit in this thread, but the best things you can do are play defense and make simple passes.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I sprained my ankle on weds not a break luckily just soft tissue damage. Need to ice it and exercise and pain should be gone in a week.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Thinking of joining a meetup group for footie. I'm 26.

Any tips on cleats? Are they are all pretty much the same at the 50-80 price level? What about shirts? Anything not immediately obvious I should add to the shopping list?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

skooma512 posted:

Thinking of joining a meetup group for footie. I'm 26.

Any tips on cleats? Are they are all pretty much the same at the 50-80 price level? What about shirts? Anything not immediately obvious I should add to the shopping list?

What type of playing surface? It's better to buy proper soles depending on the surface - http://www.worldsoccershop.com/buyers-guide-boots.html using the wrong soles can increase the likelihood of injury.

shirts\pants\socks and the such - this is not important, I sweat a lot so I buy clothes made of dri-fit or other sweat evaporating fabrics.

I personally like playing with shinguards with built-in ankle protectors mostly because my shin bones feel really soft and hurt a lot whenever I bump into things (even outside of football); for the first time you're playing you really don't have to bother with protective gear but on the long run there is no compelling reason not to use it (people itt will tell you it makes you look like a tryhard but I personally would rather avoid injury).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Good point, I didn't even think people would play on anything but grass!

After a quick look at where these meetups are, they tend to be parks and baseball/football fields. Rain is very much not a thing in Los Angeles, so mud shouldn't be a concern.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Have any of you guys sustained a sprained ankle that makes it hard to point the toes on your foot or is that more a ligament thing

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

skooma512 posted:

What about shirts? Anything not immediately obvious I should add to the shopping list?
if you're playing pickup, bring a white and a dark shirt, that makes splitting up teams much easier

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
Goodwills are goldmines for exercise stuff. Shorts and the lightweight breathable poly shirts are like $5 each and they will generally have a zillion of them in every color from every 10k and half-marathon in your city. They're just going to get disgusting and thrashed anyway. Sometimes you find cool old jerseys too, I found a sweet Ajax shirt from like the late 90's.

The advice about a white and dark shirt is good. Also regarding cleats, ideally you'd have a pair of cleats and turf shoes for the appropriate surface but I would say if you could only afford one pair, get a regular pair of cleats. They work okay on turf but can be a bit grabby/hurt your feet after a while. But much better than the opposite, turf shoes on grass doesn't really work.

p.s. breath ray go see a doctor if its been 10 days and you can't point your drat toes

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

mushi posted:

Goodwills are goldmines for exercise stuff. Shorts and the lightweight breathable poly shirts are like $5 each and they will generally have a zillion of them in every color from every 10k and half-marathon in your city. They're just going to get disgusting and thrashed anyway. Sometimes you find cool old jerseys too, I found a sweet Ajax shirt from like the late 90's.

The advice about a white and dark shirt is good. Also regarding cleats, ideally you'd have a pair of cleats and turf shoes for the appropriate surface but I would say if you could only afford one pair, get a regular pair of cleats. They work okay on turf but can be a bit grabby/hurt your feet after a while. But much better than the opposite, turf shoes on grass doesn't really work.

p.s. breath ray go see a doctor if its been 10 days and you can't point your drat toes

I can point and put weight on the foot, it just hurts when I tilt it to face inside and obviously when I hit the ball with my foot. Going in goal tomorrow for last game of the season then on holiday till august with no sports. Hopefully it heals.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I was doing video of a game for cash and at half time I typically bullshit with the team or coach because I know them. Today was different cause there was a scout watching apparently and he wanted to make sure he got everything covered for whoever he was trying to cover. Picked up a loose ball and hit a few in at the top of the box, nothing fancy. I put it about 10-15 yards further out after a miss kick back to where I was kicking. gently caress it. Lined up and belted that fucker right into the corner. The ref who I know, who is actually pretty high up there actually. Like a few years from MLS or International, he was like "wow, loving impressed."

Yeah me too. Felt really good to hit some free kicks for fun and nail a really good one to boot.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

I can point and put weight on the foot, it just hurts when I tilt it to face inside and obviously when I hit the ball with my foot. Going in goal tomorrow for last game of the season then on holiday till august with no sports. Hopefully it heals.

Sound like what I did recently - ankle was still swollen about two weeks after i rolled it and I only felt comfortable playing on it about 3 months later.

Never had an injury keep me away from playing so long, hated it

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Nice one - sounds like the keeper never stood a chance.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

gently caress it. We were up two nil in the first 3 minutes and they scored off a freekick on the last kick of the night to get a 2 all draw. Even more disappointing since I got a hand to the shot but only managed to palm it into the corner.

On the flipside, maybe if our mids and forwards got more than 2 shots in the entire game on target we might win more games...

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Insanely Sikh posted:

Sound like what I did recently - ankle was still swollen about two weeks after i rolled it and I only felt comfortable playing on it about 3 months later.

Never had an injury keep me away from playing so long, hated it

i sprained my right ankle end of august last year. took about 2 months off then started playing on it. i've been able to play on it well the past couple months but playing two days in a row is a little iffy and i don't risk it.

on monday, i blocked a shot on the outside part of my right ankle. felt like a stinger for about a minute but i was able to play the rest of the game and felt fine that night. tuesday, it felt a bit sore but not painful. wednesday, i had an indoor game but decided to rest the ankle and just stretch it out.

today (thursday) however, it feels much worse than the past two days. i feel some pain when walking and hopping hurts when landing. i don't get why it feels much worse today than the previous two days. maybe i stretched it too much last night and it's just sore. i have an 11v11 game Saturday night so i'm hoping it'll heal by then :ese:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

If not you could probably get away with a brace or even one of those pieces shin guards sometimes come with that add some ankle padding support. Ask your team, see who might have em.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Soulex posted:

If not you could probably get away with a brace or even one of those pieces shin guards sometimes come with that add some ankle padding support. Ask your team, see who might have em.

i have a brace and a wrap but i don't think either will help.

flexibility of the ankle is fine but it's the mobility that's the problem. if i jog, it hurts when i step down or push off. i can walk without any pain though.

the pain seems to be on the outer part of the foot/ankle. when i rolled my ankle last year, the pain was on the inside part of the ankle.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else in this thread a late-bloomer? I didn't start playing till I was 26 and it's a shame because I think I would have been better playing soccer than basketball in high school. I've taken to the sport pretty well, and I have a poo poo-ton more fun playing it.

Basketball was just posting up and defending, I was incredibly bored by it by the time I graduated college. The indoor leagues I've been in and the occasional outdoor sub have been more fun than any other sport I've played.

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 7, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I didn't play football until I was 24 and even then I didn't start playing regularly until I was 30.

I'm poo poo.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i didn't start playing until jan 2013.

been playing nonstop ever since (except when i'm injured :( )

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I started when I was 4 and am still poo poo*

*at using my left foot for anything beyond basic trapping

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I started playing when I was 15 and I thought that was late lol

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I started and stopped in my late twenties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Stopped in my teens and just started back up two months ago at 35 in a Co-ed rec league nearby.

My poor lungs.
My poor ankles.
My poor everything.

But I LOVE it.