Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

That said, the last time nothing in a season particularly grabbed me I just asked for recommendations and watched the first five things people threw out there, so maybe I'll just do that again.

I feel like that's really the winning move these days

Let other people do all that heavy lifting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Namtab posted:

Remember that spring and Autumn have historically always been stronger seasons

I think that was somewhat a side effect of the larger number of 2-cour shows back then. Since more things ran for half a year, the winter and summer seasons just didn't have as many new shows starting up.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

That said, the last time nothing in a season particularly grabbed me I just asked for recommendations and watched the first five things people threw out there, so maybe I'll just do that again.

Drifters.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

OVA edition of the first and second episode in june, so presumably the tv broadcast will start near that in summer cour even though though they haven't given an airdate yet.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Srice posted:

I feel like that's really the winning move these days

Let other people do all that heavy lifting!

Since I've started watching this stuff I'm usually 1-2 seasons behind except for 1-2 shows and it's worked really well. I don't have to wait weeks for new episodes and you fine people have separated the good from the garbage.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i hope the Love Live show is good but I can't remember the last phone game adaptation worth watching.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

kater posted:

i hope the Love Live show is good but I can't remember the last phone game adaptation worth watching.

cinderella girls!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kater posted:

the first two seasons seem well received. Sunshine looks pretty bad regardless of it being a phone game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

dogsicle posted:

the first two seasons seem well received. Sunshine looks pretty bad regardless of it being a phone game.

shame

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

dogsicle posted:

The audio drama episodes weren't bad. Fun dynamic within the group anyways.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

I would've preferred a season three with at least one new girl and the imoutos starting their own idol group with blackjack and hookers with guest appearances by the original cast

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

with guest appearances by the original cast

*knock*knock*

"Why who's that at the door, Riko"

*muffled by door* nico nico niii

NICO YAZAWA enters.

Pause for applause.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Amanchu and Sweetness and Lightning should be good, though I don't appreciate the Majestic Prince tease. Fudanshi show could also be good.

Of course, the one that looks like Infinite Stratos but with even bigger titty will be show of the season.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Amanchu is a great-rear end comic.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

kater posted:

It's not an adaptation of a phone game, it's a multimedia franchise. Similar deal to, say, pokemon. But with idols.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

a kitten posted:

*knock*knock*

"Why who's that at the door, Riko"

*muffled by door* nico nico niii

NICO YAZAWA enters.

Pause for applause.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the chuuni seems good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Old Love Live was good so I have a good feeling new Love Live will also be good.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Motto posted:

the chuuni seems good

She's good but the American is better

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Honestly, I'm so sandbagged trying to keep up with this season I can't keep work up any energy to plan for the next one. I'm seeing a fair amount of stuff I've read or heard of though.

Arslan. -Wasn't a huge fan of the first season, but knight girl will bring me back.

Berserk -Maybe, just because I never actually watched Berserk and this sounds like a reboot.

Handa-kun -Because Barakamon was amazing. What's the deal here, anyway? Did the original manga wrap-up or is this a parallel spin-off?

Re-life -I've been reading the manga, it's decent. Makes me feel old as hell, but that's kinda the point so fair enough.

Sweetness and Lightning -Because the manga is great.

Monokean- This is the season for Crunchyroll manga, holy poo poo. The manga is alright in a chillax sort of way and the anime looks like it'll at least be hella pretty.

Taboo Tatoo -I'll give it a shot, but enthusiasm for the manga seems low so it's probably not great.

Mob Psycho -Obviously

Seven Deadly Sins -Right, that..was coming back. I'm ok with the manga but unless the second season is a step up in quality over the first I may not bother.

So pretty much a list of things I'm mostly lukewarm about, but fair enough for a summer season.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Good news: I was always gonna watch Drifters. I just didn't see it in the immediate lineup.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Drifters doesn't have a release date more specific than "sometime this year" that I can find

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

Drifters doesn't have a release date more specific than "sometime this year" that I can find

1+2 in June.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Mob Psycho 100, Taboo Tattoo, ReLife and Shokugeki no Souma are the ones that appeal to me off the bat. Masou Gakuen HxH sounds crude enough to offend even me, so that will be getting at least a 3 episode test.

Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu could be humorous if, as it seems, it's about a straight guy getting into the BL scene alongside all of the straight women in the same while hilarity ensues.

And yeah, i guess I have to give Orange a try at the very least.

I tried to read New Game scanlations at a fansubber's website, but couldn't get into it. Still, I have to at least try to watch anything with Yoko Hikasa in a starring role.

Qualidea Code: Sounds just interesting enough to have potential.

My big problem for this coming season (In which I've already listed about 10 things I'll watch week 1, so take "big problem" with a grain of salt) is that I don't watch things based on VNs, since I'd much rather just play the game itself. So, no Danganronpa, no Rewrite, etc.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Danganronpa is actually a sequel/prequel to the 2nd game rather than an adaptation, so it's only worth watching if you're someone that wants more closure on that series anyways.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
dont't worry guys, i am already preparing the sunshine thread because i keep plunging deeper into idol hell

But also I'm gonna pick up Mob Psycho 100, New Game!, and for some reason my list has Kono Bijutsu-bu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! on it.
And then I'm also hype for more Non Non Biyori, as little as it is that we get.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope Berserk turns out to be good and not a horrible CGI trainwreck

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Looking at the summer season, the only things that seem interesting to me are Berserk, Mob Psycho 100, Souma Season 2 (Though I never finished season 1), 91 Days, and Ozmafia!! And the first 2 are heavily dependent on the art style, so they are going to be more of a wait and see sort of thing.

Also calling Amaama to Inazuma as the show nobody watches at first, but turns out to be delightfully fun. I might check that one out.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
what are you talking about dude, there's a whole squad of people reading the manga super excited about the show

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu could be humorous if, as it seems, it's about a straight guy getting into the BL scene alongside all of the straight women in the same while hilarity ensues.

the straight guy is already hopelessly into BL at the start of the manga, to the point where he even shipped real people he saw on the train. the scans only recently introduced the girl, so idk how she'll work out but the comic is super funny and all the guys are great.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah it's hard to make predictions as to where it's gonna go since there's so little of the manga translated but what's out is funny and should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

The art is good as well, it's 4koma but not sloppy at all -- but probably don't read the mangaka's other stuff unless you're into reading about dudes loving (they're hot and I wish more was translated).

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

the straight guy is already hopelessly into BL at the start of the manga, to the point where he even shipped real people he saw on the train.

Heck, have there been fictional fujos who haven't done this?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Couple of questions about the season thread OP:

1) Since people are saying that the studio alone is less and less of an indication of the quality of a show, I'm thinking about adding the writer to the show's listing. Good idea? Other staff that would be relevant? Maybe I'll also add some relevant previous projects to each person...

2) Is anyone actually using the streaming links or is the link to because.moe enough?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you're willing to go through the effort to do it, i think writer, director and whether or not it is an adaptation (and what its adapting, ie: manga vn ln and so on) would all be interesting info

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's nice to know where a show is streaming without having to look it up but I don't think I've ever used the links to get there. I like the icons & PV links, just don't usually navigate to any streaming pages from the thread.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Couple of questions about the season thread OP:

1) Since people are saying that the studio alone is less and less of an indication of the quality of a show, I'm thinking about adding the writer to the show's listing. Good idea? Other staff that would be relevant? Maybe I'll also add some relevant previous projects to each person...

2) Is anyone actually using the streaming links or is the link to because.moe enough?

1. More info is cool, as long as it's not a bother. Though I personally think the director matters more than the writer.

2. I don't normally use the streaming links, mostly because I don't usually stream through my desktop. OTOH it's often a scramble at the start of a season to figure out who has that new show everyone is talking about so easy access can be helpful.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah personally I check writer/director credits before I even look at a summary to determine whether or not I'm interested in a show.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also seconding that I don't use the links per se but this is the first place I check t see where stuff is steaming.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Adding the streaming link is a much bigger pain in the rear end than just looking stuff up and adding the icon without a link. Also the current OP ran into the size limit several times, which is why I moved the archive section to the second post and removed a bunch of PVs. So having less links would also help with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Davincie posted:

if you're willing to go through the effort to do it, i think writer, director and whether or not it is an adaptation (and what its adapting, ie: manga vn ln and so on) would all be interesting info

:agreed:

• Locked thread