Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Winkie01 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I88Gtsr4mzI

The ads this election are going to be great on both sides.

To paraphrase Trump, it's going to be sad. A mess.

I am simultaneously looking forward to, sickened and fascinated by the up coming poo poo-show from both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Condi Rice would sooner light herself on fire and run naked down Broadway at rush hour than set foot in Washington again.

The RNC is a week before the DNC, if Trump wins on the first ballot he could surprise pick Hillary as his VP before she's officially chosen!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

James Garfield posted:

The RNC is a week before the DNC, if Trump wins on the first ballot he could surprise pick Hillary as his VP before she's officially chosen!

Well there has been conversations recently on how Hillary and the DNC red to move to the right and pick up moderates.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

El Disco posted:

Kid seems like he's destined to be a cop.

Emptying magazine into fleeing person, spouting conservative catchphrases and showing complete lack of empathy to the point of mockery... story checks out.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/727149223993552896

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I hope Terry fucks them over this but who knows. Those guys have been absolute trash for years.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

How could this possibly be granted cert?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So in Illinois they're proposing social media bans for teenagers convicted of certain crimes.

quote:

Senator Mulroe says the bill is about protecting the minors.

"You're already charged with a crime, by doing, putting someone on social media, specifically carrying a gun, possessing a gun or showing your arms crossed with guns that is going to get you in more trouble,” said Senator Mulroe.

Hmm I wonder who this could be targeting

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Zeroisanumber posted:

Condi Rice would sooner light herself on fire and run naked down Broadway at rush hour than set foot in Washington again.

Especially for Trump of all people ahaha

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

quote:

More: Virginia GOP leaders announced Monday they have hired an attorney and will contest governor's executive action allowing more than 200,000 convicted felons to vote in November - AP
Please be the Cooch, please be the Cooch....

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

So in Illinois they're proposing social media bans for teenagers convicted of certain crimes.

Hmm I wonder who this could be targeting

It says right in the article. Kids that are currently charged with certain crimes are prohibited from associating with gangs and gang members. If the kid is found to be violating this they get into more trouble. This is supposed to be an extension of that.

Is this bad or good? Beats me. Could someone with more knowledge on gang related laws and effectiveness of them weigh in?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Does that mean his v. unfavorable number is down from ~six months ago or am I remembering unfavorable + v. unfavorable being north of 70%?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Radish posted:

He's probably has slightly better aim than the average LEO.

Correct.

quote:

The "rare" hail of gunfire that erupted in a quiet east London :canada: neighbourhood during the arrest of a robbery spree suspect early Wednesday came from one police officer's handgun. Nineteen shots -- more than a full clip of ammo -- were fired by the officer after the suspect appeared to be pointing a gun, police said. The bullets hit at least three homes, although police said they're still investigating. No bullets hit the suspect.

Last year, no London officer fired at any suspect.

No one was hurt in Wednesday's dramatics. The suspect surrendered moments later and no gun was found.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

When I look at this chart all I'm really drawing from it is the increased polarization of the parties and electorate.

Don't get me wrong, Clinton and Trump are both reviled for reasons that are both in and out of their control by the opposition, but when you look at that chart the top candidates are all from 2000 on. Anything after 1996 would have been in polarization territory.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Winkie01 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I88Gtsr4mzI

The ads this election are going to be great on both sides.

So the guy that was hired by the state to prosecute criminal cases also prosecuted domestic abusers? Wow! A real advocate for women.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hmm a boy was shot by the police because he was holding a gun and ran from two plains clothes officers which according to the police department is an act worthy of lethal force and something "the community would expect them to do." Of course the obvious answer is to ban replica guns, not ask why kids holding guns apparently means that police are free to try and execute them in the street. Toy guns are the issue here not systemic racism and bloodthirsty cowards. Seems weird that police only seem to shoot certain kids with toys but let's not ask questions otherwise we might infer that blue lives don't matter.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-replica-guns-20160428-story.html

Thankfully though the boy won't be charge for causing his own shooting so horray the system works!

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-boy-no-charges-20160430-story.html

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 2, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mr Hootington posted:

It says right in the article. Kids that are currently charged with certain crimes are prohibited from associating with gangs and gang members. If the kid is found to be violating this they get into more trouble. This is supposed to be an extension of that.

Is this bad or good? Beats me. Could someone with more knowledge on gang related laws and effectiveness of them weigh in?

Basically, as I read it: This is just a way to add more charges onto black kids when they manage to find "gang sign" images on their snapchat/instagram/twitter. Something so hilarious and cliched that no one is actually doing it seriously or at best a symptom of dumb kids being dumb kids and trying to look tough. Which is something that happens regardless of race but for some unknowable reason people only get scared at black kids posing with airsoft guns and not at white kids posing with 15 swords and airsoft guns.

Basically this:

Will get you extra jail time or lose you probation.

Whereas this:

Will not.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Thankfully real guns cannot be painted bright colors otherwise bills to require fake guns to be painted as such would be even more idiotic than they already are.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The brazenness of the gun lobby being successful in their messaging that guns need to be literally everywhere or people will be unsafe juxtaposed with police constantly and successfully using the fear of toy guns on black people even in areas with legal open carry as a reason to attack them and absolutely no one in Serious positions pointing out this outrageous blatant conflict of ideology, if not actively supporting the police, drives me absolutely crazy.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Thankfully real guns cannot be painted bright colors otherwise bills to require fake guns to be painted as such would be even more idiotic than they already are.

(I know you're being factious, I'm just using this as an excuse to post these)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Crain posted:

(I know you're being factious, I'm just using this as an excuse to post these)

I don't think a post could better encapsulate the wrongness inherent in people viewing guns as toys rather than tools.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Radish posted:

Hmm a boy was shot by the police because he was holding a gun and ran from two plains clothes officers which according to the police department is an act worthy of lethal force and something "the community would expect them to do." Of course the obvious answer is to ban replica guns, not ask why kids holding guns apparently means that police are free to try and execute them in the street. Toy guns are the issue here not systemic racism and bloodthirsty cowards. Seems weird that police only seem to shoot certain kids with toys but let's not ask questions otherwise we might infer that blue lives don't matter.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-replica-guns-20160428-story.html

This is the video that plays for that article:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Turn back, thread, the month is far too young to catch gunchat cancer!

In foreign policy news, the first US-based cruise ship in what, 57 years, has docked in Cuba. It's cool to see things opening up so quickly. There's a certain romanticism about Cuba's whole "time capsule" existence with all the old cars and old architecture that makes me really want to visit and watch a baseball game in a language I can't understand (or even speak - I can't do the trilled R thing) even if it's a completely unfounded imaginary image of the place.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Crain posted:

Basically, as I read it: This is just a way to add more charges onto black kids when they manage to find "gang sign" images on their snapchat/instagram/twitter. Something so hilarious and cliched that no one is actually doing it seriously or at best a symptom of dumb kids being dumb kids and trying to look tough. Which is something that happens regardless of race but for some unknowable reason people only get scared at black kids posing with airsoft guns and not at white kids posing with 15 swords and airsoft guns.

Basically this:

Will get you extra jail time or lose you probation.

Whereas this:

Will not.

Yeah I get that, but do gang association restrictions work? Or Do these kids still end up in the gangs or dead by gang violence? Honest question. I know for some of the kids it seems like the only way to get ahead and life and it is depressing.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

FAUXTON posted:

Turn back, thread, the month is far too young to catch gunchat cancer!

In foreign policy news, the first US-based cruise ship in what, 57 years, has docked in Cuba. It's cool to see things opening up so quickly. There's a certain romanticism about Cuba's whole "time capsule" existence with all the old cars and old architecture that makes me really want to visit and watch a baseball game in a language I can't understand (or even speak - I can't do the trilled R thing) even if it's a completely unfounded imaginary image of the place.

Cuba owns and you should go before it opens up more. The "romanticism" and you know, the other "r" word "repression" is definitely part of the mystique. It is fundamentally weird there and that makes it amazing, plus there's the typical South American Spanish colonial thing going on.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah I get that, but do gang association restrictions work? Or Do these kids still end up in the gangs or dead by gang violence? Honest question. I know for some of the kids it seems like the only way to get ahead and life and it is depressing.

No, gang association restrictions don't work. They only ever give an excuse to increase jail time.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

FAUXTON posted:

Turn back, thread, the month is far too young to catch gunchat cancer.

Sorry, I just thought it was amazing that a guy was showing how much toy guns look like real guns, while standing in front of a counter that has pink revolvers.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

fosborb posted:

Eh, my experience is that it's the same set of horny 20-somethings you'd find anywhere but in DC they're more likely to be wearing cufflinks.

edit: that said, yeah there is prestige. Anyone working for State, for instance, is going to be smart and ambitious as hell. They won't necessarily be douches, but it's a winning combination of they are....

Best tip I have from friends in the area is to find the politically-aligned bars and avoid them at all costs

Right, the dating scene is uniquely horrible in every city. DC has ambition and people coasting on the "power is the ultimate aphrodisiac" principle but if the local dating pool weren't that way you'd just end up having another problem define them. Here in Austin the primary complaint I get from women friends is that the dating pool is stuffed with underemployed or unmotivated man-children.

Hell if there was no issues people would probably complain about how it isn't possible to choose between all the people they want to date.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
A Gravis poll of Indiana likely voters came out today showing Trump up big (+17). This follows yesterday's NBC/WSJ/Marist showing him at +15.

I told a work buddy way back in October that if Trump gets the nomination I'd buy both him and I a "Make America Great Again" hat. Guess I'll go ahead and get that ready.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Boon posted:

A Gravis poll of Indiana likely voters came out today showing Trump up big (+17). This follows yesterday's NBC/WSJ/Marist showing him at +15.

I told a work buddy way back in October that if Trump gets the nomination I'd buy both him and I a "Make America Great Again" hat. Guess I'll go ahead and get that ready.

At least buy a bootleg one. Don't give Trump the money.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Poor Johnny

quote:

PPP's newest Ohio poll finds voters in the state are getting sick of John Kasich's Presidential campaign. Only 38% think he should stay in the race, compared to 49% who think it's time for him to drop out. Those numbers have shifted substantially from early March when 52% of voters wanted him to continue on in the race and just 34% thought he should drop out. And the numbers for Kasich when it comes to dropping out are actually even worse for him with Republicans than they are with Democrats- 58% of GOP voters in Ohio think it's time for him to let it go, compared to only 33% who think he should stay in.

Part of the problem for Kasich is that voters feel he's neglecting his duties as Governor. Only 31% think he's paying enough attention to his current job, compared to 49% who think the Presidential bid has caused him to pay insufficient attention to his Gubernatorial duties. Perhaps because of that Kasich's approval rating has dropped from a 54/36 spread in early March down now to a 46/40 spread. One thing voters are particularly unhappy about is having to foot the bill for Kasich's security detail- 66% of voters in the state say they oppose the more than $450,000 of taxpayer money that's gone to pay for his security on the campaign trail, to only 22% who are ok with that expenditure. Democrats (19/72), independents (22/63), and Republicans (26/62) alike are unhappy with continuing to have to pay for Kasich's protection while he's out running for President.

Maybe you shouldn't have voted for him then in your primary hmmmm?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Did they just give everyone who posted in USPol April a Yoda avatar? This is Trumps doing, isn't it?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dexo posted:

At least buy a bootleg one. Don't give Trump the money.

I'm not going to gently caress him over on it (he's a Trump supporter), but I'll double the donation to Hillary's camp and buy myself a bootleg version.

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 2, 2016

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

archangelwar posted:

How could this possibly be granted cert?

Well, they'll have to use state courts, I'm pretty sure, since the grounds for their lawsuit is the state constitution. Here's the relevant passage:

"Virginia Constitution posted:

The Governor shall have power to remit fines and penalties under such rules and regulations as may be prescribed by law; to grant reprieves and pardons after conviction except when the prosecution has been carried on by the House of Delegates; to remove political disabilities consequent upon conviction for offenses committed prior or subsequent to the adoption of this Constitution; and to commute capital punishment.

He shall communicate to the General Assembly, at each regular session, particulars of every case of fine or penalty remitted, of reprieve or pardon granted, and of punishment commuted, with his reasons for remitting, granting, or commuting the same.

Relevant passage bolded. They are going to argue that the governor cannot communicate the particulars of every case of pardon granted if he's giving out blanket pardons, and that all pardons must be case-by-case. I'm not certain how likely this is to meet with a warm reception in the courts, and I'm sure T-Mac talked this over with the AG and other legal authorities before he went ahead.

I will note however (which I noticed halfway through writing this post) that what he's doing here isn't actually pardons, it's "remov[al of] political disabilities consequent upon conviction," and the Constitution doesn't actually require him to communicate those specifically. That's the one entry that's left out of the required-communication list. Interesting.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 2, 2016

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Did they just give everyone who posted in USPol April a Yoda avatar? This is Trumps doing, isn't it?

Maybe all the bad posters. :mmmhmm:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Grundulum posted:

I'm just happy to be part of a group.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Radish posted:

I'm just happy to be part of a group.

It is the USPOL gangyodarape tag.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Grundulum posted:

counterpoint

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Well I haven't gotten one :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004
Good news: http://reut.rs/1NP0Z29

The Supreme Court denied cert to a lawsuit over Seattle's $15/hour minimum wage, leaving in place a lower court's decision to uphold the ordinance.

• Locked thread