Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Fuligin posted:

What's the armor set? I was keeping my eye out for some Bloodborne hunter-ish gear.

Pharis's Hat
Firekeeper Robe
Black Leather Gloves
Leonhard's Trousers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Vigor and Vitality should have swapped names.

:yeah:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Harrow posted:

Second ending: Notice how the flame never actually goes out in the dark endings of DS1 and 2. You walk away from it, but that just leaves the door open for another undead to link it. In DS3, you actually let it die--it goes away, never to be lit again. The Fire Keeper provides some indication that another age will come, born from a new fire: not the Age of Fire, but something new. A world shrouded in darkness, waiting to be reborn. This is my favorite ending, incidentally.

See, I interpreted this as a companion to the first ending. Its still the classic Link or not, it doesn't matter idea from DS2. I took her monologue to be a recognition of that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Cinroth posted:

Pharis's Hat
Firekeeper Robe
Black Leather Gloves
Leonhard's Trousers

I did a run with almost the exact same set replacing the Pharis Hat for the Leonard's Mask for my Lord of Hollows run

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Coming out of my weeks of self-imposed Souls community exile because King of Storms/Nameless King is breaking me. I can feel it.

Close to SL 100 - without getting into nitty gritty, using a light-weight quality build with no shield. Gotthard's +10 is my weapon of choice, but I have a Carthus Curved Greatsword at +10 as well. I have enough resources to +10 another couple weapons pending recommendations for this particular fight. I've gotten this far without breaking out a shield but I'm willing to throw that restriction out the window if it means winning - though admittedly it's proven to be of little use.

I want so hard to say this boss is "bad" (in many of the same ways Ancient Dragon was bad plus a slew of new ways), but I withhold that opinion lest it's my own bitterness talking. DS3 has an annoying habit of surprising you with new health bars when you think you've downed a boss (my surprise at thinking I was about to kill Soul of Cinder on my first try, lol). I can down King of Storms with relative ease, though it takes a frustratingly long time with pure melee. The difficulty is that it takes so long to get to the King himself that I'm psyching myself out and not getting the practice I need to master his patterns. Co-op doesn't help for poo poo, it just makes everything a cakewalk and leaves you complacent when you have to fight him alone. I've seen every move he has and on paper he's not a terribly difficult boss, but the fact that the "run up" to him is another loving boss (to make up for the close bonfire) is causing me to choke and lose my instincts that help me beat Champion Gundyr, who had a very similar feel to him.

I'm willing to do anything to win at this point, save summon for help. I've gotten too far to give in now. I'd love to hear everything you've got on this guy, especially those of you who solo'ed him pure melee.

As an aside, what's the thread's current spoiler policy?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

See, I interpreted this as a companion to the first ending. Its still the classic Link or not, it doesn't matter idea from DS2. I took her monologue to be a recognition of that.

That's a reasonable reading. For me, I think what was important is that she talks about tiny flickers of flames coming from elsewhere, "like embers linked by Lords past." To me, that sounds like she's talking about people starting a brand new age just like the old Lords did (we're talking the original Lords, Gwyn & friends), rather than prolonging the current Age of Fire.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Harrow posted:

He might mean Vigor (HP).

Vitality is a "fashion tax" stat. Increase it if you want to wear/wield heavy things. Leave it alone entirely if you don't. Raising it for defensive reasons is kind of a waste because raising your Vitality to wear heavy armor is less efficient for survivability than just increasing your HP.

i've got 42 vitality purely to be able to wear armour because the FUGS is so heavy

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Today, I learned that if you kill the Deacons before fighting Kirk, he fucks off and you lose any chance of getting his armor until NG+.
I also learned that Heysel doesn't become one of Rosaria's slugs until way later.
Why.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SciFiDownBeat posted:

this sounds a little like the arguments people make to defend the Star Wars prequel trilogy. i.e. the original trilogy is really good but not without flaws, Lucas tried to do something different with the prequels that people didn't want to accept at the time, and The Force Awakens is just a generic Disney product that rips off too much from the classic trilogy's formula.

theoretically the argument has merit. "maybe I was being too harsh"... until you go back and watch the prequels/play dark souls 2 and realize: they simply do not live up to their predecessors, nor do they compare to their successors.

What even is this post.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Coming out of my weeks of self-imposed Souls community exile because King of Storms/Nameless King is breaking me. I can feel it.

Close to SL 100 - without getting into nitty gritty, using a light-weight quality build with no shield. Gotthard's +10 is my weapon of choice, but I have a Carthus Curved Greatsword at +10 as well. I have enough resources to +10 another couple weapons pending recommendations for this particular fight. I've gotten this far without breaking out a shield but I'm willing to throw that restriction out the window if it means winning - though admittedly it's proven to be of little use.

I want so hard to say this boss is "bad" (in many of the same ways Ancient Dragon was bad plus a slew of new ways), but I withhold that opinion lest it's my own bitterness talking. DS3 has an annoying habit of surprising you with new health bars when you think you've downed a boss (my surprise at thinking I was about to kill Soul of Cinder on my first try, lol). I can down King of Storms with relative ease, though it takes a frustratingly long time with pure melee. The difficulty is that it takes so long to get to the King himself that I'm psyching myself out and not getting the practice I need to master his patterns. Co-op doesn't help for poo poo, it just makes everything a cakewalk and leaves you complacent when you have to fight him alone. I've seen every move he has and on paper he's not a terribly difficult boss, but the fact that the "run up" to him is another loving boss (to make up for the close bonfire) is causing me to choke and lose my instincts that help me beat Champion Gundyr, who had a very similar feel to him.

I'm willing to do anything to win at this point, save summon for help. I've gotten too far to give in now. I'd love to hear everything you've got on this guy, especially those of you who solo'ed him pure melee.

I'm reasonably sure we're not spoilering boss names anymore. Or, at least, I haven't in a while, and nobody got angry at me for it.

This boss drat near made me go hollow IRL. I spent like three hours Friday night fighting him out of sheer stubbornness. I was furious. I was so goddamn loving mad. No other boss in this entire game killed me more than four times and NK killed me something like 30 times. I also used Gotthards against him, mostly relying on the rolling L1 during the second phase. It helped a lot to keep circle-strafing to your right (his left) and focus on dodging his swings and learning where the openings are. He switches things up a couple times--he has one or two combos that could be either two hits or three and you won't really know until he starts doing that third hit if he will--so my strategy was to just focus on dodging those and not treat them like openings. (It's sort of like how Artorias's flip attacks would go either one, two, or three times, and you'd never know how many he was going to do, so you shouldn't try to attack until after he does a third.)

I think the second phase gets easier once you get him to about half HP and he starts using lightning. The lightning attacks have very consistent timings and he leaves himself very, very open while he's charging them, so once you learn the timings you can get in a ton of damage before and after dodging. The trick is getting there consistently enough to learn the timing, of course, and not throwing your controller in fury over having to fight that stupid dragon again.

I really do think it's kind of bullshit that you have to fight the dragon phase every time. It should've used Nashandra -> Aldia rules: beat the first one and it stays dead, so you can keep trying the second one if you need to.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Deified Data posted:

Just loving dodge his poo poo. Drink some coffee beforehand and don't get nervous. He's difficult but not all that bad.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Harrow posted:

That's a reasonable reading. For me, I think what was important is that she talks about tiny flickers of flames coming from elsewhere, "like embers linked by Lords past." To me, that sounds like she's talking about people starting a brand new age just like the old Lords did (we're talking the original Lords, Gwyn & friends), rather than prolonging the current Age of Fire.

I think this is probably correct. There's a lot of ambiguity surrounding it (like everything else in Souls) but since this is the Actually Definitely Last game, the "My god, why didn't we think of this ages ago" take on it seems the most likely to actually wrap things up. My real questions are A) what the hell does the alternate dark ending entail? Is it like a selfish Usurpation ending where you just take the First Flame for yourself? And B) I can't even begin to imagine what the actual Usurpation ending involves. You take the First Flame into yourself, but what exactly does that entail? Why is the world all dark without actually being Dark? Is there some sort of feud in Londor?? :psyduck:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With a raw Uchi or rear end +2, 25 vigor, and 20 luck, how lovely am I going to find Oceiros at level 40? I'm fairly confident he can't one-shot me at least. Does Hawkwood make the fight any better?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Okay, here is what you should do, in list format:
  • Get a shield. Go and either farm Lothric Knights for (or, if you sent out Greirat successfully on his second expedition, purchase) the Lothric Knight Shield. It has 100% physical reduction and 87.5% lightning reduction, as well as a high level of Stability. Upgrade it as fully as you can.
  • If you're willing to respec, get at least 15 FTH and 14 ATTN, then dump everything else into damage and survivability. Get Tears of Denial from Irina, as this will let you survive one more hit against him in phase 2. You want at least 24 VIG and around 20-25 END or so.
  • Wear the Ring of Steel Protection, the Thunder Stoneplate Ring, the Estus Ring, and the Chloranthy Ring. Put on gear with a decent mixture of slashing and lightning absorption.
  • As soon as phase 2 begins, pop an Ember. Have them bound to your hotbar. Do not pop an Ember before phase 1 is over. You want the first phase to go as cleanly as possible, and burning Embers only to die to phase 1 is a real bummer.
  • Only block the first two hits of his combo attacks - dodge roll through the third. Because the third swing has delayed timing, it's best to block the first two and then dodge the third instead of trying to dodge the first two and loving up your rhythm on the third. Block the attack where he charges through you, and roll through any of his other big windup or charge attacks. Remember to stagger your blocks; don't hold up your shield between his swings, as you'll likely run out of Stamina doing that.
  • Use a fast weapon like Gotthard's and only hit him when he is standing with his arms to his side. After he finishes his combo, wait about half a second to see if he goes into another animation, then hit him once. If he still hasn't moved, hit him once more, as he doesn't have any particularly fast attacks that he brings out. Do not hit him more than twice.
  • The safest points to use Estus are when he's standing with his arms to his side, or right after he's done his massive air charge at you. You shouldn't save it - swig as soon as you get under 75% HP.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 2, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The fourth ending is the best. Call me nameless and accursed, will you? Well I got the fire, motherfuckers, and you chuckling jackasses can't have it. It's mine, mine!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Deified Data posted:

This right here is the most important advice

Harrow posted:

It helped a lot to keep circle-strafing to your right (his left) and focus on dodging his swings and learning where the openings are.

Circle strafing right is 50% of the strategy. What I want to add to that is the safe spots to Estus. Never estus when he swings. He can do either a two/three and its not worth taking the risk to sip. The biggest thing that will gently caress you in the fight imho is getting into an estus/damage/estus cycle that drains half your healing because you panic.

The two best times to estus are after he does the flying 180 dive, or when he does the huge forward stab. Drink immediately after he lands from the 180, and roll twice backwards and drink if he is setting up the stab.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Thanks for the build advice y'all, I did mean vitality because I want to wear heavy armor+great shield+great sword. Vigor I'm leaving at 27, I was going to leave faith at 30 since I'll basically just be using the utility spells but it sounds like I should raise that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RBA Starblade posted:

With a raw Uchi or rear end +2, 25 vigor, and 20 luck, how lovely am I going to find Oceiros at level 40? I'm fairly confident he can't one-shot me at least. Does Hawkwood make the fight any better?

Hawkwood makes the fight significantly worse because he'll make Oceiros substantially stronger and more unpredictable without contributing any loving damage. He's a poo poo phantom.

With those weapons, your best bet is to buy some Carthus Rouge and bleed him out.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Just loving dodge his poo poo. Drink some coffee beforehand and don't get nervous. He's difficult but not all that bad.

Come on man, no reason to be like this to a guy who is struggling

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
I actually have enough HP now that I can survive the Irythyll Dungeon Jailer's Mercedes logo brand-attack. I did not think that would be possible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've not reached that boss yet but I have the dragonslayer great shield ready to be my first time using a shield since its 100% physical/95% lightning resist

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

drink some coffee AND don't get nervous? make up your mind you bad advice idiot

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kanos posted:

Hawkwood makes the fight significantly worse because he'll make Oceiros substantially stronger and more unpredictable without contributing any loving damage. He's a poo poo phantom.

With those weapons, your best bet is to buy some Carthus Rouge and bleed him out.

Thanks, I'll wait to do it until I've cleared the Catacombs then I think.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jose posted:

i've not reached that boss yet but I have the dragonslayer great shield ready to be my first time using a shield since its 100% physical/95% lightning resist

Yeah, Dragonslayer Greatshield makes the fight heaps easier. If you don't have the STR to wield it (or consumed/transpositioned the soul into something else), the Lothric Knight Shield is a suitable enough replacement.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Harrow posted:

I'm reasonably sure we're not spoilering boss names anymore. Or, at least, I haven't in a while, and nobody got angry at me for it.

This boss drat near made me go hollow IRL. I spent like three hours Friday night fighting him out of sheer stubbornness. I was furious. I was so goddamn loving mad. No other boss in this entire game killed me more than four times and NK killed me something like 30 times. I also used Gotthards against him, mostly relying on the rolling L1 during the second phase. It helped a lot to keep circle-strafing to your right (his left) and focus on dodging his swings and learning where the openings are. He switches things up a couple times--he has one or two combos that could be either two hits or three and you won't really know until he starts doing that third hit if he will--so my strategy was to just focus on dodging those and not treat them like openings. (It's sort of like how Artorias's flip attacks would go either one, two, or three times, and you'd never know how many he was going to do, so you shouldn't try to attack until after he does a third.)

I think the second phase gets easier once you get him to about half HP and he starts using lightning. The lightning attacks have very consistent timings and he leaves himself very, very open while he's charging them, so once you learn the timings you can get in a ton of damage before and after dodging. The trick is getting there consistently enough to learn the timing, of course, and not throwing your controller in fury over having to fight that stupid dragon again.

I really do think it's kind of bullshit that you have to fight the dragon phase every time. It should've used Nashandra -> Aldia rules: beat the first one and it stays dead, so you can keep trying the second one if you need to.

I really struggled with timing the dodges against him, for whatever reason, and I had gone shieldless throughout the entire game. I think part of it was that I couldn't practice his timings without going through the dragon first, and part of it was nerves. I would regularly be what felt like a millisecond late and he'd hit me.

Against Lorian, I was able to get into a great timing rhythm with my dodges that made the fight a lot of fun, and every time I died I had chipped his health down a little more than the previous time. With NK, I got him down to a third health in my first run, and then never did any better in my next two dozen tries. Dude has a fast swing speed, and he's really hard to get enough breathing room against to heal.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I never had the strength to use any big shields and just learned to roll dodge him

It loving ssssuuuuucccckkkkkeeeeddddd

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Did shields get nerfed? Didn't use them much since BB and Scholar trained me not to and it seems like guarding anything in this game gets you guardbroken unless you use a greatshield.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Raposa posted:

Thanks for the build advice y'all, I did mean vitality because I want to wear heavy armor+great shield+great sword. Vigor I'm leaving at 27, I was going to leave faith at 30 since I'll basically just be using the utility spells but it sounds like I should raise that.

If you only want the utility spells, leave it at 30. Don't worry about the weapon buffs--they're good, but honestly not something I personally feel like building around. If you want to be a full-on god of thunder, then go to 60 Faith and infuse your weapon with lightning. Otherwise, 30 should do you fine and leave you enough points for high Strength and/or Dexterity, too.

Incidentally, 50 Strength/30 Faith gets you access to Morne's Great Hammer (Eygon of Carim's weapon) which is a pretty rad giant hammer, so Strength/Faith could be fun. Or Dexterity/Faith and use the Dragonslayer Spear and/or Swordspear.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

il serpente cosmico posted:

With NK, I got him down to a third health in my first run, and then never did any better in my next two dozen tries.

This seems like everyone's experience lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

bad advice idiot

you rang

I'm about to fight the nameless king with caestus tonight when I get home, wish me luck and god bless

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I really struggled with timing the dodges against him, for whatever reason, and I had gone shieldless throughout the entire game.

He has varying combo speeds with attacks that all look fairly similar, which really fucks with your timing. 90% of my deaths were from accidentally dodge rolling into one of those swings, then panic rolling away and trying to chug and getting clowned. Being able to block the first two and then roll through the third makes the fight vastly easier.

Harrow posted:

If you only want the utility spells, leave it at 30. Don't worry about the weapon buffs--they're good, but honestly not something I personally feel like building around. If you want to be a full-on god of thunder, then go to 60 Faith and infuse your weapon with lightning. Otherwise, 30 should do you fine and leave you enough points for high Strength and/or Dexterity, too.

I'd probably stop at 20 FTH, to be honest. Deep Protection is about the only really good buff of the lot this time around (along with Tears of Denial).

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Kanos posted:

I actually found it easier with Hawkwood, despite being level 25 with a +3 Raw Broadsword. His damage is pretty poo poo, but so was mine and having entire attacks not even focused at me made things a lot safer for me to keep swinging at him. Combined with the phantom's hits, the boss staggered rather often and slowed down the fight a lot. I didn't think to bleed him out though, which would have helped.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nakar posted:

Did shields get nerfed? Didn't use them much since BB and Scholar trained me not to and it seems like guarding anything in this game gets you guardbroken unless you use a greatshield.

Shield Stability feels like it's a lot weaker than in DS1 or 2 yeah. Two or three hits is generally enough to drain all your stamina, and almost every enemy can do that in a basic combo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

With NK, I got him down to a third health in my first run, and then never did any better in my next two dozen tries.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This seems like everyone's experience lol

Yep, me too. Had him down to about 30% HP on the first try and then never even got close again until my winning attempt.

I think I beat him on like try 30? I eventually started using an Ember every time just so I could keep track of how many tries it took me and I had plenty. By the time I won I'd used like 20 Embers, but I don't remember how many tries I did before I started using Embers each time.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

RBA Starblade posted:

He is weak to bleed, so an uchi with blood resin should actually do the trick. It won't be a cakewalk, but he isn't the toughest boss in the world.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

They generally suck unless you're using the super heavy 70+ stability great shields, yeah. Most enemies are too aggressive for blocking to be viable - you'll either get guard broken or you'll just be left with so little stamina you can't counterattack.

Basically your best option is to just use the grass crest shield for the stamina regen and dodge a lot.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

you rang

I'm about to fight the nameless king with caestus tonight when I get home, wish me luck and god bless

I did PVP last night where I entered the fight with the Dark Sword, Havel's shield, and Dragonslayer Armor to be maximum scrub and then just before I attacked unequiped everything, equipped loincloth, and switched to Caestus as my weapon and charged

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Full-on blocking isn't a good strategy. I generally use it to absorb swipes so that I can safely circle strafe enemies to backstab them, rather than as a main defensive strategy.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Any advice for the Old Nameless King? Getting him down to half health used up all 10 of my estus. Dude's got a ton of health.

e: Old Demon King, sorry. There's too many bloody kings in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Shields are good for those quick attacking enemies who use a lot of fast swipes, like the Thrall thief guys, or the thief lizard men. They're usually hard to hit but if you block them once they bounce off of your shield long enough for an easy counter.