Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

dragonstalking posted:

Do you even kill anything with those things? The last time I saw them on grid they'd warp in, shoot something (that wouldn't die), a few dudes get tackled and die, and then repeat until Boat dies.

What a blast!

http://i.imgur.com/oizgqA6.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

dragonstalking posted:

Do you even kill anything with those things? The last time I saw them on grid they'd warp in, shoot something (that wouldn't die), a few dudes get tackled and die, and then repeat until Boat dies.

What a blast!

Just boat things.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
to be honest I had a lot of fun during the imperium's deployment to h1z1. I joined in on a spy alt and just kept killing imperium pubbies over and over for days until people just stopped logging in.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

to be honest I had a lot of fun during the imperium's deployment to h1z1. I joined in on a spy alt and just kept killing imperium pubbies over and over for days until people just stopped logging in.

Neat.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I tried h1z1 but apparently after the Eve goons had become bored and left. I read the guides and collected my fill of sticks and berries. Came to the Damm only to find it completely deserted.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

dragonstalking posted:

What a blast!

Serious Post: Yeah that happens and with some targets we do a 3-4 drive buys before the target is dead. Usually things like hacking cruisers and battle cruisers. It is for hit and run fights rather than stand up fleet battles but those do happen. Last week we killed a corm fleet and a frigate fleet in O1Y and you end up trading 50-100 kills for 5-10 interceptors so not exactly efficient at that. But for having 50 dudes zooming about dropping on ratters and hackers it is great and a strategic objective as ratting raises ADMs. Ultimatly is it fun and does it meet the objectives it is used for? I would say yes and so would a a good number of people since that join them is between 75 to 150 multiple times a day.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

BigPaddy posted:

Serious Post: Yeah that happens and with some targets we do a 3-4 drive buys before the target is dead. Usually things like hacking cruisers and battle cruisers. It is for hit and run fights rather than stand up fleet battles but those do happen. Last week we killed a corm fleet and a frigate fleet in O1Y and you end up trading 50-100 kills for 5-10 interceptors so not exactly efficient at that. But for having 50 dudes zooming about dropping on ratters and hackers it is great and a strategic objective as ratting raises ADMs. Ultimatly is it fun and does it meet the objectives it is used for? I would say yes and so would a a good number of people since that join them is between 75 to 150 multiple times a day.

Sshhhh! You are ruining his ~~narrative~~

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't know if you saw the Fight Club matches either, but those were pretty cool and a different change of pace (http://www.eve-nt.uk/about-efc/). Basically, the concept used was it was a "fixed class fittings" idea, eg. Scythes had all the same fittings, etc. to sort of replicate other MOBAs/Battle Arena games (fittings used - http://www.eve-nt.uk/ship-fittings/). The goal for that was to, generally, make it far easier to understand what was going on even as a layman. The tournament also was based off the types and number of ships you destroyed in matches across the season. Pandemic Horde's team ended up winning it all by 1 point too which was kinda neat. I really liked it since I love poo poo like Bloodline Champions and I have been sorta joking about how CCP or someone should make a space themed BLC/Battlerite game focused on PVP and not tower defense poo poo etc. for a while.

I missed those (I was taking an eve break at the time). I really like that idea in the abstract; I'd go nuts trying to practice with it. Especially given how bad PL is at fitting ships ;)

Rhymenoserous posted:

Paging flanders to give us exact definitions of micro - small - medium and :frogsiren: fleet pvp

Dumb topic. My own personal definitions, which are purely opinion and have no relation to anything useful:

* Micro = <8 players (classic setup being 1-2 logi, 1 tackle, 5 dps)
* Small = 9-19 players
* Medium = 20-50 players
* Large = 50+

My rule of thumb is that a microfleet is small enough that you can remember what everyone else in the fleet is doing; they're deadly to an individual player or two, good for ganks and roams, but rarely able to impact any other fleet other than picking off retards on the edges. They're actually an ideal fleet size for entosis work, oddly enough.

Small fleets are mainly good for fighting other small fleets, and not much else; microfleets will run from them, and medium-size fleets will stomp them.

Medium fleets are basically where things start getting interesting tactically, because that's the threshold where you start having enough DPS to break ships under logi reps, and where you have enough logi of your own that you can ignore micro/small fleets.

vyst posted:

There was nothing redeeming about h1z1.

There was, for a little bit. I generally hate survival games, and I enjoyed it for a while, especially the DBRB raids where a bunch of nerds in tighty whities with bows and arrows would swarm over a hill and murder anything that moves. Three things ended up killing my interest in it, though:

1) Hackers largely ruined Survival mode. No point in building up bases when they could just clip through the walls. (To be fair, hackers are a problem with nearly any competitive FPS on the PC at the moment -- take The Division's Dark Zone, for example :\ However, it's especially bad for sandbox competitive games.)

2) Even when Survival wasn't hacked to bits, it felt primarily like a PvP game, not the PvEvP that I wanted. Zombies were basically a no-op to be ran around, or killed without any real effort or risk; the only real threat to anyone was another player. (Contrast with DayZ, where the zombies were often as dangerous as the players were.)

3) The Battle Royale mode became a runaway success (partly due to the format itself, and partly due to the poor balance of Survival), and Daybreak invested a disproportionately large amount of effort in it, leaving Survival mode largely neglected. They eventually said "gently caress it" and split it BR and Survival into two separate games, and it became pretty obvious at that point that whichever game had more activity would get all the dev effort. I looked down the road and saw a future where Daybreak would then start development on a new shiny and both H1Z1 games would be neglected, at which point I went "man, I'd rather play something else."

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Oh, and re: interceptor fleets, they really are an absurd amount of fun, and DBRB's not the only one who murders poo poo with them. About my only complaint with them is that you really can't use LML inties with them, because you'll warp off before your damage applies.

And please don't quote dumb D-name posts :(

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
if paco and his headmate or whatever the gently caress are allowed to post freely, you can deal with a quoted redditbaby post

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

if paco and his headmate or whatever the gently caress are allowed to post freely, you can deal with a quoted redditbaby post

Which one is paco here?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
idk or care i mean on goon fleet dot com

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I always thought paco was a globby spy because he just showed up out of nowhere and started posting super tryhard trying to fit in with theta

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pretty sure Despera on here is disgroontled too

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
unlikely

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
http://i.imgur.com/oY6tHCG.webm

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

gently caress that dog

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

BigPaddy posted:

That's not the strategic point of them: what's left of the imperium won't be saved by whether it can keep ADMs down because they can somehow hold a grid for 14 minutes but not 26 minutes. The point of them is to give people fun things to do that seem to have a point and keeps them logging into the game and into jabber. If it works then it won't be the first time - it won't even be the second time - that Boat's preternatural ability to just keep on relentlessly optimistically logging-in and entertaining people has saved goonswarm.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The dude is fascinated with random chatter from elysium because he gets mad upswags from the reddit babies it makes sense he would want to infiltrate the bastion of true gooniness like that other J4EVE from a couple pages ago.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

"Long live the king!"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

good doggie

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ullerrm posted:

About my only complaint with [interceptor fleets] is that you really can't use LML inties with them, because you'll warp off before your damage applies.
Why is this a bad thing? If you warp off while missiles are in flight do they not reach their target?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

Why is this a bad thing? If you warp off while missiles are in flight do they not reach their target?

Correct. Same with bombs iirc.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

evilweasel posted:

Correct. Same with bombs iirc.

Holy poo poo why did I never know this...I always thought knowing bomb flight time was irrelevant for anything other than calculating release distance.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Endie posted:

That's not the strategic point of them: what's left of the imperium won't be saved by whether it can keep ADMs down because they can somehow hold a grid for 14 minutes but not 26 minutes. The point of them is to give people fun things to do that seem to have a point and keeps them logging into the game and into jabber. If it works then it won't be the first time - it won't even be the second time - that Boat's preternatural ability to just keep on relentlessly optimistically logging-in and entertaining people has saved goonswarm.

It is far easier to Jack stuff with lower ADMs. Grid holding has very little to do with it. Pitched battles rarely happen, as usually when MBC defends it's with overwhelming numbers.

Also with lower ADMs, the more likely you can ninja a system.

But please, go on about how ADMs have no impact on sov. :allears:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I greatly overestimated bombers when I was a new player. I used to train and train with them. Move around asteroid belts with the tactical overview to stay cloak. Then align the bombing run so I would drop the bomb and then instantly warp out as I had a bookmark behind the target.

I practised on rats in belts at first and then started practising on fleets and gate camps. Turns out none of that had anything to do with bombing. Bombing was about hitting one target and then let the whole bomber wing die because they're cheap anyway. If someone makes it out then great but it was ultimately inconsequential.

Also I think if you left the grid before the bomb landed. It didn't explode at all.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

CainFortea posted:

It is far easier to Jack stuff with lower ADMs. Grid holding has very little to do with it. Pitched battles rarely happen, as usually when MBC defends it's with overwhelming numbers.

ADMs do have an impact on sov

but this war isn't a ~sov war~, it's a ~morale war~ and the cfc has lost a lot and really needs to come back

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

CainFortea posted:

his post wasnt very antagonistic you doofus, he was saying "the fleets are for fun and ~morale~ more than they are for killing ADMs"

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

As far as I know bombs still do damage if you warp off, you just won't get a damage notification. They definitely don't do any damage if you cloak or your bomber gets killed before the flight time runs out though.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CainFortea posted:

What Endie and Globby and all the D names + Ordo Garr here are saying is they would like you to form up 500 or 1,000 dudes and present yourselves to be mowed down by 3,000 nerds so they dont have to fruitlessly watch IRC for something to do

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Or go on Mukk roam #37 trying to meet that monthly kill quota

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

man phorde and the mbc are just making GBS threads the bed on sov defense the last two weeks

how is it even possible to lose to us when we're outnumbered 5 to 1

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

you're the loving mbc step the gently caress up

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Did it eat a post

Yep it did

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

his post wasnt very antagonistic you doofus, he was saying "the fleets are for fun and ~morale~ more than they are for killing ADMs"

Okay, I went back and re-read it. I can see that.

But it's hard sometimes to separate the poo poo posts.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?
My god, that's a whole lot of bitter on one page.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Well now that you're here it is

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Well now that you're here it is

I'm on Mukk roam #38.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Also that dude who just signed up a couple pages ago might be real, somebody link his post(you'll know the one) I'm on phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774358&pagenumber=1&perpage=40 nm I found it

• Locked thread