Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Roose has an heir, but he knows that he isn't going to live long enough to raise him properly, so House Bolton would end up being a child lord and Fat Walda, who isn't particularly adept at leadership. A house might survive that if they had strong and loyal bannermen, but everyone hates the Boltons or at best fears them. He was basically just hoping he could get Ramsay to stop being such an obvious nutjob that he could rule, but nope.

Ramsay is going to be defeated when Ghost eats his dogs and he doesn't know what to do with anyone any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

colonel_korn posted:

I liked how last week, Ramsey fed a dead girl to dogs, which segued nicely into this week, where he fed a live woman and infant to those very same dogs. Excellent use of foreshadowing by the writers.

It's like poetry, so that it rhymes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Is there such a thing as realistic dual sword fighting style?

Probably as close as you're going to get in real life while also being useful or effective

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger

comedy option - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poiU85V8YlU&t=34s

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

whatever7 posted:

Main gauche in fencing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

whatever7 posted:

There was a style with two weapons, but the offhand would be a parrying dagger https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger

That actually makes some sense but was pretty rare even then.

Proper two longsword fighting makes no sense really. A shield is better in pretty much every way once you already have one sword. A second is just a poor shield.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

The more I think about it the more it makes sense for Roose to have killed Ramsay and not vice versa. He know this wild idiot is a completely liability, he finally has an heir, and the show has established the only person Ramsay fears and respects is Roose. And it would fit in with the theme of "you get what you want, but now how you want it" (like Joffrey dying but Tyrion being framed, etc etc)

Instead Ramsay fuckin' succeeds AGAIN and he even has to give a quippy one-liner when he murders a woman and a baby with dogs. Like what the fuckin hell.

Dear everybody whining about Ramsay "getting away with whatever he wants" - you do realize he's not actually going to get away with this, right? He's not smart enough to keep the North together, and it's not going to take very long for his own (metaphorical and literal) hounds to turn on him and tear him to pieces.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I feel like we're almost certainly going to get Theon at the Iron Islands just to connect the viewer with the storyline (just like Dorne) and the Kings Moot and everything but I guess its possible he goes back to Winterfell.

I'd be very surprised if he gets recaptured, if he does, he'll be coordinating on the inside as the Ghost in Winterfell/The North Remembers whatever kind of poo poo. I can't imagine they'll give him back to be tortured again, but this show will do anything if its sadistic enough

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zaphod42 posted:

They really really want you to hate Ramsay. They're building him up as Joffrey 2.0 as hard as they possibly can. He's going to die in episode 9, I'm calling it now.

Joffrey executed people for no good reason, humiliated vulnerable girls and beat up and murdered prostitutes. Ramsay mass murder prisioners, tortures people in elaborate gruesome ways for months and feeds newborn babies of his own family to the dogs.

What I saying is: what the hell is our next villain going to do? Torture the babies and then eat then himself?

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://vimeo.com/161511617

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Majorian posted:

Dear everybody whining about Ramsay "getting away with whatever he wants" - you do realize he's not actually going to get away with this, right? He's not smart enough to keep the North together, and it's not going to take very long for his own (metaphorical and literal) hounds to turn on him and tear him to pieces.

And also they eventually left the farm on the Walking Dead.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I was thinking this, they probably have one team that gives a poo poo and works hard on choreography, but then another team that's just trying to shoot things in a hurry or make it look "cool" in the cliche stupid hollywood way without real thinking.

Although the Sand Snakes are the worst and they're shooting in Spain, and Oberyn vs Martell was shot in ... well not sure.

Viper vs. Mountain was shot in Dubrovnik, Croatia.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

this_is_hard posted:

hes not going to Winterfell, theres leaked set photos of Theon being present at the Kingsmoot

In the book I believe Asha wants to find Theon since Theon has the stronger claim than Euron right?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Joffrey executed people for no good reason, humiliated vulnerable girls and beat up and murdered prostitutes. Ramsay mass murder prisioners, tortures people in elaborate gruesome ways for months and feeds newborn babies of his own family to the dogs.

What I saying is: what the hell is our next villain going to do? Torture the babies and then eat then himself?

I expect we're going to see more of the Night's King before long, and that will bring with it more of a cold-blooded (no pun intended), undead form of villainy.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I don't know how she is suppose to get from the Wall to the Riverlands this season. Or why she would suddenly leave Sansa for no raisin.

Distances in this 2 last seasons have been completely hosed up. Beforehand only Littlefinger could pull the Plot Teleportation skill. Now everyone is all over the map and back, yet Daenerys STILL is not going to Westeros for another season

Majorian posted:

I expect we're going to see more of the Night's King before long, and that will bring with it more of a cold-blooded (no pun intended), undead form of villainy.

He will feed a baby to the dogs, raise the baby and make it kill the dogs, raise the dogs and make them eat the undead baby

drat, I'm already hating the Night's King

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 2, 2016

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Narmi posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but can anyone explain why one of the stab wounds on Jon is curved? It looks almost like a semicricle.

Skin and flesh is flexible, so it's not odd to have a curved wound. Perhaps a dull blade tip would stretch the skin in the middle before it penetrates, or perhaps his body was bent in some way. I'm not sure how to recreate the one you are talking about from memory

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

There was a style with two weapons, but the offhand would be a parrying dagger https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger

That actually makes some sense but was pretty rare even then.

Proper two longsword fighting makes no sense really. A shield is better in pretty much every way once you already have one sword. A second is just a poor shield.

Pretty sure there are discussions of two-sword fighting in fencing manuals, but then you are not talking about longswords, but side swords, and often in a civilian context (most fencing is about two guys or maybe a small number of people going at it unarmored, and often where shields aren't possible). Not really as something someone was doing when going to war.

Having said that, you can probably support it historically, because all you have to do is look around at the way people manage guns and you know there was some rear end in a top hat in the 1300s who was all 'Heh, nice shield guy, but check it out, I brought two swords. That's double the cutting power! :smug:' Probably shortly before getting stabbed to death by a spear.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Raenir Salazar posted:

In the book I believe Asha wants to find Theon since Theon has the stronger claim than Euron right?

Yeah, the son of the king has a stronger claim than the brother of the king. Asha being a woman means she probably wouldn't win the kingsmoot over Euron though, so it makes sense she'd support Theon to take over.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Lol

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Asha wants to find Theon to challenge the results of the Kingsmoot by making the argument that holding a Kingsmoot without the heir of the previous king makes it invalid. I don't think that Theon would have any chance of success at a kingsmoot given that he was not only raised on the mainland by the Starks but also for the fact that he is a eunuch now.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, the son of the king has a stronger claim than the brother of the king. Asha being a woman means she probably wouldn't win the kingsmoot over Euron though, so it makes sense she'd support Theon to take over.

She's obviously going to have to hide the fact that Theon can't exactly, uh...continue the lineage.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, his first scene on the show was to kill his brother, so I guess we are off to a good start?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Majorian posted:

She's obviously going to have to hide the fact that Theon can't exactly, uh...continue the lineage.

She gave a big rousing speech to her super viking crew about how Ramsey had specifically cut off Theon's dick, and at least two of them managed to outrun those scary dogs so the secret's probably out.

Also does Hodor ever speak in the books?

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

We already know the next villain turns babies into human hating murder machines.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

We already know the next villain turns babies into human hating murder machines.

Yeah I was gonna say, we don't know what all the white walkers do to the babies. Although it seems they just turn them into other white walkers, which doesn't actually seem quite as evil as turning them into puppy chow, but we'll find out more about them as we go.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Eau de MacGowan posted:

She gave a big rousing speech to her super viking crew about how Ramsey had specifically cut off Theon's dick, and at least two of them managed to outrun those scary dogs so the secret's probably out.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

That was dumb of her. Like, super loving dumb.

quote:

Also does Hodor ever speak in the books?

Hodor.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, we don't know what all the white walkers do to the babies. Although it seems they just turn them into other white walkers, which doesn't actually seem quite as evil as turning them into puppy chow, but we'll find out more about them as we go.

We saw that last season, they do turn the babies into new white walkers

Anyway, I just hope neither the WW thenselves or Euron is so unidimensionally absurdly evil as Ramsay

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Based on their talk this week I'm guessing Cersei will persuade Tommen to ruthlessly suppress the Faith Militant and kill the High Sparrow, but in response someone will assassinate Tommen.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

The main motivation is to get Sansa Stark back. Killing Jon Snow is just a happy coincident.

Why do they need Sansa? Because the North will only follow a Stark? Doesn't that present the same question?

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I'm absolutely gobsmacked at how lazy these writers are and how little of a poo poo they give now. GOT has become a show of whizbang/"shocking" Big Moments - to keep viewership high or the HBO execs happy or something - and apparently no one in the writers room cares what happens onscreen so long as they hit those bullet points. Gone are high caliber Character and Setting scenes like So Many Vows, the introduction of Grey Worm, Robert and Cersei, Catelyn weeping over her inhuman treatment of Jon Snow, etc.

I feel like the current crop of writers would look at Arya and Tywin in Harrenhal and go "lmfao what a waste of time; just cut all this poo poo out except for Tywin goes on the march and Arya tries to escape, see? 100x better" because all they seem to loving understand is how to artificially manufacture plot moments without any consideration for consistency, logic, or craft. For these people, their idea of a reel or portfolio is a listicle of 22 Shocking Things GOT Did This Season You Won't Believe

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

We saw that last season, they do turn the babies into new white walkers

Anyway, I just hope neither the WW thenselves or Euron is so unidimensionally absurdly evil as Ramsay

...that's exactly what I just said. By "seems" i just meant we don't know what happens to baby-white-walkers after they're "unborn", it could be a life of hardship or torture or something for all we know. But point is seems like feeding them to dogs is meaner, yeah. :v: I know.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Based on their talk this week I'm guessing Cersei will persuade Tommen to ruthlessly suppress the Faith Militant and kill the High Sparrow, but in response someone will assassinate Tommen.

This would be pretty sweet I gotta say. Super satisfying all around if they do go down that route.

Although if Tommen could grow up he might actually be a decent ruler?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zaphod42 posted:

...that's exactly what I just said. By "seems" i just meant we don't know what happens to baby-white-walkers after they're "unborn", it could be a life of hardship or torture or something for all we know. But point is seems like feeding them to dogs is meaner, yeah. :v: I know.

Oh, ok.

Well, we barely know what white walkers even are. But it does seems like they have no feelings and are probably not moved by rage or cruelty. If I remember that scene well, the baby seemed to be in peace after his transformation

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
My predictions, some more serious than others:
-Jon leaves the building and the wildlings bow down to him in a parallel of the Robb scene. Tormund declares him King below the Wall.
-Jon is ruthless now, has a wardrobe change and gives the other members of the Watch the option to surrender or die. Burns some people and beheads others. Blocks are fetched. "gently caress the Watch." The Wildlings, Jon and Davos march south and Edd is the Lord Commander of the Watch, now made up of 5 people.
-An episode opens with Aeron drowning/rechristening Euron with his Drowned Men, the Kingsmoot happens then Aeron says somethin like "no atheist may sit on the Salt Throne" and it ends with Euron drowning Aeron and making a quip on Drowned Men.
-They chant something other than Euron because it sounds like 'urine', maybe 'Crow's Eye.'
-Theon arrives a little too late for the Kingsmoot. He hears the horn (possibly a fake) while on a boat and it triggers his PTSD.
-The gift is Rickon and Osha. Ramsay is a creep and implies he'll rape her. That or they say Osha and the direwolf are dead but they're really with a house loyal to the Starks.
-Varys frames someone as the Harpy.
-Jorah gets captured and wipes his arm over everything, including Daario's underwear.
-While Ned is listening to his sister, Howland sees Willas cowering in the corner (he went with Lyanna and Benjen Knew.) Shifty eyes and Howland uses his powers to erase his memories.

GaussianCopula posted:

That would actually destroy the scene, because it's clearly painted as a rather open confrontation between Ned's group and the three knights of the Kingsguard. Howland Reed ambushing them would betray the warriors code and you'd wonder why Ned did not just bring enough (cross)bow men to have no casualties on his side, given that he had the entire coalition army at his back.

Ned didn't want to kill them. He reminds them that everyone else has surrendered including Barristan and three times he gives them outs, they can say they were at Highgarden or the other places and they yielded with everyone else. When Bran asks him how Dayne died he becomes very sad and says Howland Reed saved his life, he's a terrible swordsman (Knight of the Laughing Tree story) so he must have used a sneaky crannogman trick that Ned wasn't entirely comfortable with. Thee crannogmen don't have a warrior's code.

He also knew Lyanna was there and probably had an inkling of what was going on so he only brought his trusted friends and then destroyed the evidence. This was after Tywin presented the bodies of Rhaegar's other children to Robert.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 2, 2016

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

tin can made man posted:

GOT has become a show of whizbang/"shocking" Big Moments - to keep viewership high

Shock has diminishing returns and I think that at some point the people in charge of the show forgot that the Red Wedding was so shocking and entertaining because of the buildup to it. It also seems like, as a few other people in this thread have pointed out, that they have a checklist of Things That Need To Happen and they're ticking them off rather than having the events happen organically. It's felt especially bad in these first two episodes, which strike me as really obvious narrative whiplash, particularly in Dorne where the writers have hit the reset button.

Maarek fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 2, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Haha I didn't really register that Brienne neglects to tell Sansa that she saw Arya with Sandor loving Clegane and instead just sort of mumbles that she saw him with "a man." (Not to mention the part where Brienne, you know, mortally wounded Sandor thereby leaving Arya all alone.) I really hope theyre not doing that terrible lazy pointlessly-withheld-information thing where a few episodes from now Brienne casually mentions Sandor and Sansa is like "wait wtf why didnt you say that before now" oh who am I kidding that's probably exactly what will happen.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 2, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It would actually be pretty fitting if Reed poisoned Dayne with a frogstick or something, because part of the point of GoT is undermining the usual tropes and scenes, which the 7 v 3 certainly is. Everyone wants to imagine it as the three awesome Kingsguard and Ned's band in noble combat, but in reality Ned didn't want to be there and hates the whole thing and Dayne wrecks everyone's poo poo until he gets poisoned by someone who cares about his friend more than conventions.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

She wants to bring back Theon so he can claim the result of the kingsmoot is nul and void because they held it without him. There was another guy who did the same thing, when the old king died the new guy was elected and immediately started killing anyone who could oppose his claim, and by the time the true heir got back everyone hated him and rose up against him.

So even though people are starting to hate Euron for being crazy, he's still their king, but if Theon were to come back, with the actual heir they would be justified in dethroning him.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Majorian posted:

This will be after four seasons of him wantonly torturing, murdering and raping people with virtually no consequences -- is there any mystery as to why people are a little burnt out on the character? Heck I know several who were burnt out by the end of Season 3 where they kept checking back on him every other episode to confirm that yes, he was still torturing Theon and yes, it was still really awful.

I do think that they felt that they needed a New Joffrey given how popular Jack Gleeson was; the problem is that (IMHO anyways) what makes Joffrey compelling isn't that he's an incredibly cruel piece of poo poo, it's that he's an incredibly cruel piece of poo poo surrounded by people like Tyrion, Tywin and (to a lesser degree) Cersei, who are trying to keep him in check so that he doesn't do something incredibly destructive. It's the whole dynamic of whether they'll succeed or whether Joffrey will just snap and take all the power for himself that's interesting. Ramsey's "arc" on the show is entirely missing that, so it just comes off a continual stream of unpleasantness. It's basically the Craster's Keep sequence from S4 (complete with Jon heroically coming in to dispatch him at the end) except extended over four seasons instead of two episodes.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Ashcans posted:

It would actually be pretty fitting if Reed poisoned Dayne with a frogstick or something, because part of the point of GoT is undermining the usual tropes and scenes, which the 7 v 3 certainly is. Everyone wants to imagine it as the three awesome Kingsguard and Ned's band in noble combat, but in reality Ned didn't want to be there and hates the whole thing and Dayne wrecks everyone's poo poo until he gets poisoned by someone who cares about his friend more than conventions.

A sneaky fan already managed to surreptiously film the ending of the Tower of Joy fight during production. Ned and Arthur are the last men standing, they fight one-on-one, Ned starts to lose, and Arthur gets stabbed in the back by Howland.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I think everyone is going to end up dead and the Sparrows in charge and to be honest, I'm kind of rooting for them at this point.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

That would actually be very fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm beginning to see an arc. Since his girlfriend died his actions have had the same ol' malice but the actor playing Ramsay is playing it very differently than the cheerful confident malignant sociopath we meet torturing Theon. He seems a lot less certain of himself these last two episodes. Doesn't seem like a guy who can ruin an army with twenty good men, seems more like he's way out of his comfort zone and beginning to feel like he's losing control, and to a great degree he is. The one person he appears to have cared about is dead, Sansa and Reek/Theon have fled and evaded capture, he just sort of impulse-murdered his father over anxiety about a legitimate heir being born.

It's kinda subtle and doesn't make up for the fact i'm entirely sick of him as a character. It's a bit late in the game to be playing the character for depth, D&D.

• Locked thread