Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
It's not even the GOP establishment. Cruz is going to do whatever the gently caress he wants.

No one itt has ever offered me a good reason why Cruz won't try to alter the convention rules in his favor. I'm not saying he'll be successful but why wouldn't he try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Joementum posted:

Exclusive footage of Trump's VP at a Cruz rally.

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/727134754714214401

He is such a loving piece of poo poo.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

No one itt has ever offered me a good reason why Cruz won't try to alter the convention rules in his favor. I'm not saying he'll be successful but why wouldn't he try?

Can he? Isn't there a final vote on rules the day before the convention or so? I doubt he has any influence on changes to the rules and is trying to work on delegate flipping at this point as it's all he can do.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just wait, I bet that there is a rules committee for the rules committee. It's turtles all the way down.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Louisgod posted:

Can he? Isn't there a final vote on rules the day before the convention or so? I doubt he has any influence on changes to the rules and is trying to work on delegate flipping at this point as it's all he can do.

The rules committee is formed by pairs of delegates from each state / territory, elected to the committee by majority vote from each delegation. Cruz is going around and filling entire delegations with his supporters, even if they're bound to Trump.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
We are going to find out that the RNC is the dream of a small autistic child.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

MC Nietzche posted:

I'm going to laugh so hard when all the doubters finally see that the GOP just doesn't give a gently caress what the plebes think of them because what're you going to do vote for Hillary????

Would you bet a one month probation that Trump won't be the nominee even if he gets to 1237?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pick posted:

We already knew the RNC has strong libertarian leanings

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"You can't do that, Cruz. It's forbidden by the double secret shadow rules committee that governs rules committees."

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
A day or two ago, someone mentioned that Heidi Cruz got quickly corrected by her husband's campaign for calling him an immigrant.

quote:

"Do you know that Ted has been winning the millennial vote in state after state?" Heidi Cruz said. "He's been winning the women's vote in state after state. Ted is an immigrant. He is Hispanic. He can unify this party."

The Cruz campaign quickly clarified that Heidi Cruz meant to say that her husband's father is an immigrant, a point Ted Cruz often makes when asked how he can win Latino votes.

quote:

"Heidi just misspoke. She meant to say ‘Ted is the son of an immigrant’ as she’s said at countless stops before,” said Brian Phillips of the Cruz campaign.

What I learned today is that Trump is still making Canadian jokes on the campaign trail:

quote:

"Rafael! Straight outta the hills of Canada," Trump said at a rally in Connecticut last week. "Was a Canadian citizen until 14, 15 months ago. And then he ran for the Senate. You know, you're registered as a Canadian citizen. He says, 'Oh, I'd never do that.' He never knew he was a Canadian! I can't believe that."

quote:

"Heidi Cruz -- nice woman," Trump began. "She said this one: 'My husband's an immigrant!' He's an immigrant! That's what I've been trying to say!' "

"She was maybe trying to put a Latin turn on it," Trump said. "He was born in Canada, folks!"

The last time Trump pulled Heidi Cruz into his campaign monologue, he came to regret it. He began his campaign for Wisconsin's primary by tweeting a vague threat to "spill the beans" on Heidi Cruz, then retweeting a meme that compared her looks negatively to those of Trump's wife, Melania. It backfired badly, and in Fort Wayne, Trump tried to be both arch and complimentary about his misuse of her words.

"We don't want to get her in trouble, so let's not use that, right?" he joked.

Poor Ted still denies his Canadian heritage. He says on his Presidential campaign website:

quote:

After being tortured and imprisoned in Cuba, Ted’s father, Rafael, fled to the United States to attend the University of Texas at Austin in 1957. He then started a small business in the oil and gas industry. Today, Ted’s father is a pastor in Dallas.

On his official Senate website:

quote:

Ted’s father was born in Cuba, fought in the revolution, and was imprisoned and tortured. He fled to Texas in 1957, penniless and not speaking a word of English. He washed dishes for 50 cents an hour, paid his way through the University of Texas, and started a small business in the oil and gas industry. Today, Ted’s father is a pastor in Dallas.

Hm, and where did Ted's dad work in oil and gas? He can't admit it! :sad:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

:salt::qq:

quote:

Now, after his race is over, Rubio again refuses to stand up and stand tall against the cranks in his party. He proclaims that Trump’s “performance has improved significantly.” Really? I am curious to know whether Rubio thinks the Trump foreign policy address, littered with contradictions and absurdities, was a significant improvement. What about Trump’s embrace of Mike Tyson and denial that he is a convicted rapist? His assertions that we should give the bomb to South Korea and Japan and pull back from NATO? Judging by his silence on these issues, Rubio seems no different from rank opportunists such as Newt Gingrich. Even worse, Rubio went so far as to support Trump’s argument that he does not really need a majority. “I do think it’s valid to argue to delegates: ‘Look, let’s not divide the party. You have someone here who has all these votes, very close to get 1,237, let’s not ignore the will of the people or they’re going to be angry.’ ” Yes, we wouldn’t want to anger the mob that Trump has stirred up.

What does all of this say about Rubio? Frankly, it tends to confirm Jeb Bush’s view of the man. Bush argued that Rubio was untested, short on internal strength and too eager to be liked. It was not a matter of experience — although that was sorely lacking — but of character. This was not Jeb Bush’s year. But he had Rubio’s number. What a waste. What a shame.

Rubio is a waste

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Pick posted:

"You can't do that, Cruz. It's forbidden by the double secret shadow rules committee that governs rules committees."

Cruz sighed as he drew his copy of Robert's

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

The rules committee is formed by pairs of delegates from each state / territory, elected to the committee by majority vote from each delegation. Cruz is going around and filling entire delegations with his supporters, even if they're bound to Trump.

Okay, so does he have the potential to get the rules changed? Is there a vote right before the RNC? Legit asking, I know he's been trying to influence the delegate swing but if the intent is to warp the rules to his favor, then hail satan

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

Wanna meet these "Democrats".

It's Rasmussen, so probably something close.

Oh yeah, with all the primary polls I forgot that Rasmussen is hilariously biased in favor of GOP candidates.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/727186579668779009

Ed Klein's profession is writing books where he makes up fake conversations between Hillary Clinton and other people in government and swears they're genuine. If Trump believes him, we're going to have a very interesting campaign.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

eric posted:

Would you bet a one month probation that Trump won't be the nominee even if he gets to 1237?

I already toxxed that Trump won't be the nominee no matter how the primary turns out in the toxx thread.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Louisgod posted:

Okay, so does he have the potential to get the rules changed? Is there a vote right before the RNC? Legit asking, I know he's been trying to influence the delegate swing but if the intent is to warp the rules to his favor, then hail satan

If the GOP throws out every rule to gently caress over Trump they'll gently caress over Cruz as well and install an established candidate guaranteed to lose. Trump will probably also run 3rd party.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Joementum will have to confirm but yeah, the rules committee must approve the convention rules by majority vote in the days leading up to the first ballot.

I think Reince appoints the committee chair, so the establishment will have some control here, but the nuclear option exists and I believe Cruz is crazy enough to use it

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Joementum posted:

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/727186579668779009

Ed Klein's profession is writing books where he makes up fake conversations between Hillary Clinton and other people in government and swears they're genuine. If Trump believes him, we're going to have a very interesting campaign.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

Joementum will have to confirm but yeah, the rules committee must approve the convention rules by majority vote in the days leading up to the first ballot.

I think Reince appoints the committee chair, so the establishment will have some control here, but the nuclear option exists and I believe Cruz is crazy enough to use it

I approach this from a different angle: I think the establishment would have to be loving pants-on-the-head crazy to not try it. Handing Trump the keys to the kingdom would be the end of the GOP, it would be complete anarchy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Majorian posted:

How do you not remember Heaven's Gate? Are you 12?:psyduck:

heaven's gate killed they self nearly 20 years ago at this point

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Cruz getting constantly heckled and bullied is absolutely going to result on him going all in and never conceding right up to the first ballot.

Which he'll win after getting all delegates unbound :v:

PS He's currently trying to screw Trump in NH delegate selection.

If Trump wins tomorrow he'll have 1237+

Trump has won.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

Obama had more fun with Trump last year, of course, but this year it would have been gauche to go so far.

I did like the callout of reporters re: trump coverage.

I like Obama, voted for him twice and worked on his campaign. But it seems a bit gauche for a sitting President to laugh at the concerns of an angry electorate rather than, you know, addressing them.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Majorian posted:

How do you not remember Heaven's Gate? Are you 12?:psyduck:

edit: ah poo poo nvm

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
what the gently caress is Ted Cruz even doing at this point?

rather, why?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The rules committee chairman is appointed by the head of the RNC (Reince) and contains 100 members: two delegates (one man, one woman) from each state delegation (suck it, territories!) who are appointed by their state party chair. During the first day of the convention they meet and produce a report on the rules, which can contain revisions on the rules of the Republican National Convention. If 25% of the members of the rules committee disagree with the report, they can produce their own minority report. The main report, and the minority report if it exists, are then voted for on the floor of the convention. This is typically done by a voice vote.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

MC Nietzche posted:

I approach this from a different angle: I think the establishment would have to be loving pants-on-the-head crazy to not try it. Handing Trump the keys to the kingdom would be the end of the GOP, it would be complete anarchy.

I disagree, mostly as the perception from the base is that they "listened to the voters" and didn't try to gently caress over Trump. I think if Reince and team bow out and let the system prop up Trump, they can take a back seat until he loses and slowly regain the ground they lost and can eventually say "look, we followed the rules, Trump was the candidate and he lost, it's time to move on".

If they adjust the rules to gently caress over Trump and Cruz, I think that's where you'll see anarchy, especially among the base that's already upset at the "establishment".

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

fade5 posted:

Whatever their dumbass intent with this is, I'd laugh if the result ended up being "nobody gives a poo poo anymore, so thanks to the AFA for proving that unisex bathrooms are the way forward".

Its weird that you think its good to allow a tiny population of male cross-dressers to decide this issue rather than the hundreds of millions of women who would rather not have Zeitgeist in the toilet with them. Very progressive thinking there.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Montasque posted:

https://twitter.com/politico/status/727187819362435073

Cruz: America is a better place...
Protester: Without you!

Cruz: I have been engaging you respectfully the entire time, and a question that everyone here should ask...
Protester: "Are you Canadian."
Cruz: Do you want y--
Protester 2: Are you Canadian?

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 2, 2016

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

Louisgod posted:

I disagree, mostly as the perception from the base is that they "listened to the voters" and didn't try to gently caress over Trump. I think if Reince and team bow out and let the system prop up Trump, they can take a back seat until he loses and slowly regain the ground they lost and can eventually say "look, we followed the rules, Trump was the candidate and he lost, it's time to move on".

If they adjust the rules to gently caress over Trump and Cruz, I think that's where you'll see anarchy, especially among the base that's already upset at the "establishment".

I think the long-term damage Trump would do to the GOP brand (specifically of the anti-Semitic variety) outweighs any benefit of letting him win and then lose with "dignity." Then again I may just be assuming Reince and co haven't been completely loving de-balled and actually have some stones. Either way if I get banned for my toxx it'll still have been worth the dream!

No Mans Land 2
May 2, 2016

by Shine

Maoist Pussy posted:

Its weird that you think its good to allow a tiny population of male cross-dressers to decide this issue rather than the hundreds of millions of women who would rather not have Zeitgeist in the toilet with them. Very progressive thinking there.

The patriarchy wins again

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
That's not what the GOP says:

https://www.gop.com/convention-facts/?convention_type=rules

quote:

Who Decides the Rules for the 2016 Republican National Convention?

The convention delegates decide.

A week before the Convention, the 2016 Convention Rules Committee must convene to put together a package of rules to recommend for consideration by all delegates.

Delegates from each state and territory elect two representatives from within their own delegations to the Convention Rules Committee – 112 delegates in total.

The Convention Rules Committee, after debate and discussion, adopts by. majority vote a package of recommended rules that moves to the convention floor.

Once a majority of the convention delegates adopt the report, the rules become the permanent rules governing that Convention.

That package, called a Rules Report, is adopted by the Convention Rules Committee by majority vote.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Jewel Repetition posted:

Cruz: I have been engaging you respectfully the entire time, and a question that everyone here should ask...
Protester: "Are you Canadian."
Cruz: Do you want y--
Protester 2: Are you Canadian?

Those were some good hecklers.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

mannerup posted:

:vince:

I hope this becomes a regular occurrence of him running into Trump supporters

the heckling crowd is perfect

edit: heres a longer video
https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/727186508331945984

That guy definitely has the bantz, two quick-trigger burns perfectly inserted into Ted's long, unhuman pauses.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

Pretty sure Fishmech isn't a Republican

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Who does Ted Cruz think he is, George W. Bush?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Who flipped on the switch for weird nostalgic post mortems of Rubio all of a sudden?

No Mans Land 4
May 2, 2016

by zen death robot
http://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/trump-voter-confronts-cruz-we-dont-want-you/

Its so perfect it almost seems scripted.

Lyin' Ted!

No Mans Land 4
May 2, 2016

by zen death robot

Helical Nightmares posted:

Who flipped on the switch for weird nostalgic post mortems of Rubio all of a sudden?

software lifecycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
https://i.imgur.com/Nu1N2zy.webm

• Locked thread