Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So I can't speak to DW viability or whatever but new all-turret meta seems pretty busted. I got something like 400+ kills on Hotline Day 1 last night and a similar performance on Day 2. You can pretty much spend the whole heist yacking as the turrets clear all the spawn points, while I just ran around occasionally refreshing them as necessary.

I'm not sure what I'd do to tweak the skill but it needs something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalocalypse
Jul 29, 2006

Mendrian posted:

So I can't speak to DW viability or whatever but new all-turret meta seems pretty busted. I got something like 400+ kills on Hotline Day 1 last night and a similar performance on Day 2. You can pretty much spend the whole heist yacking as the turrets clear all the spawn points, while I just ran around occasionally refreshing them as necessary.

I'm not sure what I'd do to tweak the skill but it needs something.

I've been thinking that it's an issue with quantity. I'd tone down the total you can carry down to 4 and go from there. I love what they are capable of, but I'd rather people have to watch over their limited supply of them instead and setting and forgetting them.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Well, I'm glad other people are smart enough not to start sprinting again until the reload animation is entirely done but I never have been and I don't intend to start. :colbert:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Metalocalypse posted:

I've been thinking that it's an issue with quantity. I'd tone down the total you can carry down to 4 and go from there. I love what they are capable of, but I'd rather people have to watch over their limited supply of them instead and setting and forgetting them.

Yeah for sure. I mean it mostly becomes a question of what the purpose of the turret even is. If it's to cover a flank or blindspot - particularly useful on some of the really brutal maps where cops can spawn in almost any direction or where a spawn point is very close to the active play area, like the Diamond - then limiting the quantity will help to thin cop numbers in a specific area without necessarily trivializing the map. Otoh it's going to still be a sticking point on very mobile maps, where the turrets become useless, or on smaller maps with chokepoints, where quantity won't really be a limiting quality to speak of.

I could totally see an argument to keep the 6-turret meta as it is but it would have to largely replace your own weapons, reducing a turret engineer to just his turrets as the primary way of clicking cops.

Reduce # of turrets and maybe even increase the cost to place them. But give me a remote control that lets me jump into one of them whenever I want.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'd say you can cut it down to 2 per person with how ridiculous they are right now.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
If you have the shield knockdown skill, do your turrets knock down shields?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you have the shield knockdown skill, do your turrets knock down shields?

Not that I've seen, no. But the best defense against shields for turrets right now is just to set two across from each other so that no matter which way the shield faces, one of the turrets will kill him.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Mendrian posted:

turret meta

:eyepop:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I know, what a time to be alive.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Envy me and my sweet Mac-10 bayonet :cool:

Also whatever the hell's going on here.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
That's a sweet bayonet. I love the melee bugs!

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Zigmidge posted:

That's a sweet bayonet. I love the melee bugs!

Yeah, but is it as cool as the invincible cop car/chopper hybrid I ran into on the next job?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Sentries are currently the most powerful weapon in the game by far. They are the biggest problem I have with the beta.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

PSA: the flamethrower counts as an automatic gun.

Go hog wild with that.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

UnknownMercenary posted:

Go hog wild with that.

:lol: well poo poo, time for a flamethrower build today

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ripper Swarm posted:

Yeah, but is it as cool as the invincible cop car/chopper hybrid I ran into on the next job?

Sokol loves it so much he ran a dagger through his palm.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

UnknownMercenary posted:

Go hog wild with that.

Well gently caress. This beta is the gift that keeps on giving.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

UnknownMercenary posted:

Go hog wild with that.

No loving way. :captainpop:

Edit: does the capstone do anything for it since it doesn't deal bonus headshot damage?

watho fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 2, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

watho posted:

Edit: does the capstone do anything for it since it doesn't deal bonus headshot damage?

Well... Cops have unique headshot multipliers, and flamethrowers can crit. I would not be shocked if the flamethrower can do bonus damage with that skill.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

watho posted:

I don't have any concrete numbers on it but it definitely feels like I'm killing cloakers faster even without critting.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The flame is purity, the flame is power. The next weapon character pack will likely be a a straight up Dark Souls sort of parody mask and maybe like a secondary mini flamer so you could make a LMG/Fire build.

Well, I don't mind turrets finding a less OP niche if they likely do get touched down from the beta, because their entire issue before this was that they were useless to begin with in an ever growing world of DLC guns. What matters right now is how fun setting up a general killzone with them is and see if their current build could neutralize a Turret Van in something like bank.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 2, 2016

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It's not like I want to see sentries back where they were because where they were was dogshit. They couldn't compete with more ammo for guns which were better for killing cops in the first place.

The beauty of six turrets is that even if they're less good at killing cops than I am, there's six of them and one of me. So some happy middle ground between six and two would be ideal.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe you could split the +4 turrets between two separate high tier 4 skills so that you would have to double dip to get maximum turret. You're still doubling your pleasure either way with just one giving you 4 turrets, but it allows the pure turret-man to go whole hog if they're that greedy for 6.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 2, 2016

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Body Expertise doesn't seem to increase the damage of the flamethrower at all.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I tried the beta out last night for the first time after drinking like a metric gently caress ton of lager. I don't know what happened, but I do remember saying the following several times.

1. Using the AA12 with the knockback skill is loving hilarious and a total waste of ammo.
2. This is the worst build ever I miss my old builds because they were perfect.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Initial impressions of the beta:

Knockback is OP; Shields are just completely trivialized with that skill.

I thought there was a skill that would allow you to carry two loot bags at a time but I wasn't seeing it in any of the trees; was I mistaken, or am I blind?

Ran into a fun bug on Cook Off where the Captain spawned three bags in, but then even once we ran him off, his effects persisted. Ended up doing an additional seventeen bags under those conditions. And I wasn't being sarcastic; since I was running with a solid team, that was actually a lot of fun to deal with, and I'd be interesting in having that as a Goonmod mutator.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
There are certain skills that are still being worked on and thus are unavailable for the beta.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Skunkrocker posted:

after drinking like a metric gently caress ton of lager. I don't know what happened

You spent almost 10 minutes straight going on about british television networks.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

You spent almost 10 minutes straight going on about british television networks.

I was laughing.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

hellfaucet posted:

I was laughing.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

:boom:

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

hellfaucet posted:

I was laughing.

At least somebody was.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Drunkrocker best Rocker as far as I'm concerned. I distinctly remember giggling at everything you said throughout Rats.

"I hate this beta, I hate this loving update, I love you guys." (Paraphrased)

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kumaton posted:

I hate this beta

skunkrocker has the wrong opinion again i see

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
so ammo nerf. The flat 40% is, despite probably being okay in concept, bad in execution because it penalizes some weapons way harder than others, and then you combine that with fully loaded being a top tier skill in Enforcer and getting it is a lot more of an investment than it used to be (aka a happy bonus on your way to ICTV) ...well, it all equates out to Overkill, unintentionally or not, doubling down on high damage, single shot weapons as the ultimate option. As if the AMR DMR wasn't top tier enough.

now I love the AMR DMR, so that's fine, but I'm trying to think of a good solution for people who like auto weapons, and/or people who think a flamethrower grabbing 4 ammo per box is ridiculous, but they all tend to revolve around "quit pretending fully loaded should be a top tier skill" and then the question is what to put there instead and :confused:

basically I want autos to be legit again without being ridiculously ammo-positive "never ever touch a bag again" so I dunno. A bonus to pickup for all auto weapons seems just as arbitrary as the flat 40% hit. Also LMGs are still fine, so it's really the middle ground of autos that needs the most help. Maybe just manually tweaking pickup rates?

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 2, 2016

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Sentry guns are great. Maybe dial it back from 6 to 4 though.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Mendrian posted:

Not that I've seen, no. But the best defense against shields for turrets right now is just to set two across from each other so that no matter which way the shield faces, one of the turrets will kill him.

Alternatively, run AP Sentries so that way the shield dies at any angle from one sentry.

Edit: Quick number crunch says you've no real reason not to run AP Sentries all day, seeing as they're just 13 out of 120 points.

widespread fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 2, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Psion posted:

so ammo nerf. The flat 40% is, despite probably being okay in concept, bad in execution because it penalizes some weapons way harder than others, and then you combine that with fully loaded being a top tier skill in Enforcer and getting it is a lot more of an investment than it used to be (aka a happy bonus on your way to ICTV) ...well, it all equates out to Overkill, unintentionally or not, doubling down on high damage, single shot weapons as the ultimate option. As if the AMR DMR wasn't top tier enough.

now I love the AMR DMR, so that's fine, but I'm trying to think of a good solution for people who like auto weapons, and/or people who think a flamethrower grabbing 4 ammo per box is ridiculous, but they all tend to revolve around "quit pretending fully loaded should be a top tier skill" and then the question is what to put there instead and :confused:

basically I want autos to be legit again without being ridiculously ammo-positive "never ever touch a bag again" so I dunno. A bonus to pickup for all auto weapons seems just as arbitrary as the flat 40% hit. Also LMGs are still fine, so it's really the middle ground of autos that needs the most help. Maybe just manually tweaking pickup rates?

Some autos are still in good shape. The Clarion and Valkyria both have zero issues, in my experience. I do think a manual tweak is necessary. I even think one could figure it out largely mathematically. Just account for average accuracy and average shots to kill, and derive pickup rate based on that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

widespread posted:

Alternatively, run AP Sentries so that way the shield dies at any angle from one sentry.

Edit: Quick number crunch says you've no real reason not to run AP Sentries all day, seeing as they're just 13 out of 120 points.

At the moment shield penetration for AP sentries does not work.

Long Guide has updated with Birth of Sky information. Important pieces of info ("diff" is a system value that basically makes combat harder- more enemies, longer assaults, etc, up to a maximum of 1):

• Snipers are activated after the first assault wave. (This is also when the diff value is set to 1.) Maximum 3 at one time, with 6 possible spots.
  • The 3 pallets are distributed over 5 locations: The 4 buildings in each corner of the map, and the street. There is a ~68% chance that a given building has a pallet. Similarly, there is a ~29% chance that the street has a pallet. Beware, these chances assume that you have not investigated the map yet; they show the chance if you were to repeatedly restart the map and observe a single location. As a counterexample, if you have already found all 3 locations, then, due to this prior knowledge, you can assume that the other locations have no pallets.
  • When a pallet is activated, the enemies are scripted to congregate around the area. The helicopter will arrive about 60 seconds after lighting the flare, and each pallet hook takes 5 seconds to attach.

Pallet order/difficulty info:
  • During the first assault wave, there are no snipers and the diff is lower.
  • When the helicopter arrives to pick up the last pallet, 2 SWAT turrets will spawn on VH/OVK/DW, 1 on each side of the street. If the pallet is not located at a secure place, they will start shooting while you are trying to attach the hooks.
  • The car shop is very hard to defend because it has no useful cover, regardless of the precise pallet location.
  • The gas station is extremely close to a spawn point which rapidly respawns killed enemies. Its rooftop locations are also very exposed to snipers and SWAT turrets.
  • The diner has a hallway that is easy to defend, and its rooftop also has some cover.
  • The hardware store has some trouble with snipers if the pallet was dropped on the roof. If the pallet smashed through, it is arguably the easiest location to defend, and provides full protection from snipers and SWAT turrets.
  • The street has some small walls as cover, and is far from enemy spawn points. The greatest threat is being overrun by enemies, because there is nowhere to fall back to.
  • The difficulty of the locations roughly goes as follows: car shop > gas station > street > hardware store exterior > diner > hardware store interior.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Psion posted:

I think them putting Fully Loaded into tier 4 and then just reverting the base rate back to 2%-3% would have fixed most of the problem. The base rate right now is 1%-3.5%, which is really loving garbage and still overwhelmingly favours the high powered guns because they don't feel it as badly. Anything that's not M308 tier or LMG tier for pickups will feel the change to varying degrees. They could have gone back and defined specific pickup rates for certain guns like they did before (see: forcing LMGs to have pickup rates of guns that have a total of 80 ammo) or they could have just lowered the total ammo counts of guns like DMRs and the heavy pistols.

There's also no risk/reward to going for ammo boxes any more because player survivability is at an all time high, so they've gone about it by making boxes just worth a lot less, which is also a solution I disagree with.