Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

Rocko, i got around to trying out the beta.

The only book i had was materials vol 2. I spawned in a forest between 2 lava pools, so the resulting fire pretty much took the game down to 3 fps (for some reason fire just lags my game sup badly) and it was the setting of the sun.

Was there at least meant to be the quest book?

Do you mean you literally started in a forest? Not even the tutorial dimension?

Edit: Regarding the missing quest book, that was probably from screwing up resetting everything for the prior beta release. That being said, I can't figure out which file I need to put in the template folder to properly copy over the right inventory now. So that's something I can chew on when I am not working on the final quest.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Are there any good Minecraft 1.9 or 1.8 modpacks? I stopped playing Minecraft a few years back but I am seeing the new stuff from 1.9 and 1.8 and want to check it out again, but I have the Technic Launcher and because I am a stubborn moron, I don't want to download the vanilla launcher because it kinda sucks and I want to keep all my Minecraft poo poo in one place/folder on my computer.

Can you get just straight up vanilla Minecraft on Technic?

Oh, also, is there a better "controls" mod? I am using a standard keyboard and in these modpacks I just dont have enough keys to not have conflicting keybinds. When I was last playing they had "macro" mods but I didnt think that wasnt what I wanted, I was looking for a mod that made it so I could press shift+1 and that would bring up my Thaumic inventory or whatever, but pressing 1 just acted normally. I dont usually play Minecraft long enough to get to late-game stuff for all the mods that come in the packs so I can usually ignore it because I dont end up getting a railcraft train so if the controls conflict it doesnt matter because the railcraft stuff just doesnt activate. For singleplayer I can deactivate those mods or ignore it but if I am playing on a server it sometimes comes up.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 28, 2016

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Devoyniche posted:

Can you get just straight up vanilla Minecraft on Technic?

Yes, in the modpack list (official technic ones) there is a 'vanilla' entry.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there a way on NEI to see all recipes that a given device can do? For example everything you can use a magma crucible for.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Bouchacha posted:

Is there a way on NEI to see all recipes that a given device can do? For example everything you can use a magma crucible for.

Click on the "processing" arrow between the inputs and products.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

At this point McJty just has to implement ore processing to take over just about everything.

By just about everything, what do you mean? Are we only one or two mods away from 1.9 having all the main features of 1.7?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

CuddlyZombie posted:

By just about everything, what do you mean? Are we only one or two mods away from 1.9 having all the main features of 1.7?

Heh, nah--not like that. Or . . . I sure hope not since I'm still working on a 1.7 pack and would hope it got played a little bit after I finally release!

McJty ate MystCraft's lunch in 1.7.10 by implementing a dimension system. RFTools also had some rudimentary power generation; okay one of the things was really quirky. Now it's getting into the crazy storage game. I doubt it'll eat AE2's lunch too, but it just has to be "good enough." So I was kidding around that it if it had ore processing, you could get your tech fix in 1.9 pretty much just installing that and its dependencies.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hey Taffer, I heard a while ago you were setting up a new :krad: Minecraft server. Any progress on that or did your new job just get in the way?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you mean you literally started in a forest? Not even the tutorial dimension?

Edit: Regarding the missing quest book, that was probably from screwing up resetting everything for the prior beta release. That being said, I can't figure out which file I need to put in the template folder to properly copy over the right inventory now. So that's something I can chew on when I am not working on the final quest.

Yeah it was a run of the mill spawn. There was a village near by, about 15-20 blocks up (on cobblestone stilts lol)

Installed version is 1.0.0.11

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

Yeah it was a run of the mill spawn. There was a village near by, about 15-20 blocks up (on cobblestone stilts lol)

It looks like that release had a few goofs. I think I managed to actually sort most of them out! It's too late for me to safely release them tonight though.

I have some questions for folks here:
1. Does anybody know the intricacies of setting up CustomNPCs to engage in ranged combat against the player?
2. Is there an easy way to find where nether portals are? When I start new worlds, portals are showing up. I suspect it has to do with some lingering around in the tutorial dimension, but I am unsure. Does that stuff get saved elsewhere?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Has anyone used Better Questing enough to tell me how to get factions to work in it?

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It looks like that release had a few goofs. I think I managed to actually sort most of them out! It's too late for me to safely release them tonight though.

I have some questions for folks here:
1. Does anybody know the intricacies of setting up CustomNPCs to engage in ranged combat against the player?

Yeah, I have set up many different NPC's for stuff like that. Here's a "short" guide.

1.Make an NPC, edit it, go to the Global tab and select Factions, select Aggressive and under Hostile Factions select Neutral. The Aggressive faction is now at war with the Neutral faction (PC's are Neutral by default).

2.Go to the Advanced tab and select Factions, select Aggressive and next to "Attack hostile factions" toggle Yes. This NPC is now in the Aggressive faction and will attack people that faction is hostile with.

3.Go to the Inventory tab and put a gun/bow/whatever (doesn't even have to actually shoot anything or be a weapon) in the sword slot and a bullet/arrow/whatever (again, can be anything) in the arrow slot.

4.Go to the AI tab and check out UseRangeAttack, it should be set to Always. Before you gave it a weapon and ammo it was greyed out. You can change it to OnTheMove or UntilClose if you want it to use some different tactics or use melee attacks at close range.

5.Go to the Stats tab and select RangedOptions. RangedRange is just how far it can shoot (aggro range must be greater than or equal to) and min and max delays are in ticks. FireRate, BurstCount, and ShotCount should be 1 unless you want to do some weird shotgun thing. The sounds can be pulled from any .jar in the pack. Finally, Aim While Shooting makes them actually look like they are shooting the thing, otherwise they just sort of hold it there.

6.Still in the Stats tab select ProjectileType. Power is how much damage the projectile does, size is the projectiles hitbox (up it if they seem like they are missing a lot even with high accuracy), punch is like knockback, and speed is..speed. I think speed maxes out at 20, at which point it's pretty fast and hard to see the projectile. I'd leave the projectile at 2D, but you can also make it 3D and do some fancy lag-inducing poo poo with wind, fire and all that kind of thing. HasGravity, Explode and Effect sort of speak for themselves.

7.Set MeleeOptions up if you wanted them to shoot and do melee. Putting a melee weapon in the shield slot works if you want the visual effect.

8.Clone it immediately before it randomly clips through terrain and you lose it forever. Only happened to me a couple times but it was poo poo.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Ugh. NH has Warp Theory, and while some of the effects are neat, some of the others are broken on servers and the rest are just too disruptive in general. Some of the warp effects don't even have messages, unlike literally every single vanilla warp effect. Fake explosion noises and creeper sounds would be jarring even if there's a message that pops up for it, so there's no excuse for that. Also, the effects aren't actually tied to TC4's warp mechanics. TC4 has been updated to eventually stop throwing warp effects at you after you stop doing warp-related things, but Warp Theory will continue to pester you forever.

Shukaro update your drat mod.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Ugh. NH has Warp Theory, and while some of the effects are neat, some of the others are broken on servers and the rest are just too disruptive in general. Some of the warp effects don't even have messages, unlike literally every single vanilla warp effect. Fake explosion noises and creeper sounds would be jarring even if there's a message that pops up for it, so there's no excuse for that. Also, the effects aren't actually tied to TC4's warp mechanics. TC4 has been updated to eventually stop throwing warp effects at you after you stop doing warp-related things, but Warp Theory will continue to pester you forever.

Shukaro update your drat mod.

The explosion and creeper noises are part of vanilla TC5. They freaked me the gently caress out the first time I heard them.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Glory of Arioch posted:

The explosion and creeper noises are part of vanilla TC5. They freaked me the gently caress out the first time I heard them.

Okay but this is TC4.

On a different note I've been doing a lot of bee breeding in NH. Seems like the least annoying way to deal with bees is to have a LOT of apiaries. Work towards mutations in parallel. Heck, you can aim towards the same type of mutation in your apiaries, if you have the drones to convert princesses and then feed them.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 30, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

1.0.0.13 went out overnight. I couldn't post about it until now because I needed to verify it myself, but Technic was not refreshing the version tag at the end of the evening. I just tried it now and it's looking normalish on my computer. For what it matters, you can complain about the pack in this thread. I don't have the server up right now, but I might launch it again soon for a bit.

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

Could someone recommend a world mapper for a mac OS 10.8 that doesn't suck?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
If I've learned anything about bees so far it's that fertility is the most important stat. Breed 4x fertility into every bee strain you get, since 4 drones means twice the opportunity for mutation compared to the baseline of 2. A short lifespan could be handy but if it's too short you'll have to babysit any strains you're using to produce combs in Apiaries. The Alveary is definitely worth investing in if you have any means of autocrafting frames, but it's pretty drat expensive in NH. Frames are very worth it in general, even untreated ones. Each (base Forestry) frame doubles the output, so putting three frames in an Apiary results in 8x the combs. Pretty important for working with bees in general, because your beealyzer will be eating up honey pretty quick while you check on mutations and genetics and poo poo.

...bees are really a huge timesink though. After days and days of loving with the things I have yet to breed anything that produces resources beyond honey, beeswax, honeydew, propolis, and generic pollen. I'm close though. Just two more mutations and I can start producing basic metals. I guess I could have bred some redstone-producing bees a while ago but I can just GROW redstone so I won't bother.

Edit: Okay something is weird about bees, I've bred like 20 bees from a hybrid breeding pair and have gotten like 15 hybrids and only a few purebreds of the species involved. Either it glitches out sometimes or there's hidden data encouraging certain gene combinations from certain drones or princesses. The hidden data would explain why sometimes identical bees don't stack.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 1, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Lifespan = shortest when you're breeding, lifespan = longest (longer if only using base Forestry) when you're producing.

There is definitely hidden data, even "purebreds" can be minimally so and will genetically drift. You need a few more generations before you get a stable pricess/drone pairing for production needs.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay, screw feeding Nether Stars to Magic Energy Converters for energy production in New Horizons, at least in MV/early HV. Get a Gas Turbine and turn biochaff into biomass via a Fluid/Solid Canning Machine(or a Brewing Machine) into biogas via an MV Distillery. It's incredibly efficient. 925k EU per bio chaff, and each bio chaff is 8 carrots.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
You all better love this BFSR Philadelphia Experiment thing. I think I have tinnitus from editing that autism warcry video's audio track to get some hysterically screaming possessed sailors shooting guns at the player.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You all better love this BFSR Philadelphia Experiment thing. I think I have tinnitus from editing that autism warcry video's audio track to get some hysterically screaming possessed sailors shooting guns at the player.

you mean the russian kid who gets ip banned

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

you mean the russian kid who gets ip banned

Yeah that. I stole his warcry from the beginning and also some scream at the end and made them the angry sounds for the evil sailors on the ship. So I have a naval NCO with a needlegun running through his chest firing bazooka rounds and randomly screaming afterwards.

I am pretty sure kids are not going to get that far in the pack unsupervised, but we shall see. If I experienced that when I was 10, I would have been... unsettled.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
That is... seriously hilarious. My niece would be terrified. I think I shall get her to play this pack just to get to that point.

-Edit-
You know, with all these modpacks and the like getting touted around, I have to question, when was the last time an actual Feed the Beast map was made?

Zebrin fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 2, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gregtech new horizons continues to amaze. i never knew making a piston would be so convoluted

i think if the modpack used actual modern automation mods like TE and Minefactory but made their recipes equally bafflingly complex, requirements puzzlingly arcane, and processing times inordinately lengthy i'd be a lot happier, but these lovely IC2 interfaces and soundeffects are starting to vex

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Does gregtech poo poo still explode over getting rained on?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah that. I stole his warcry from the beginning and also some scream at the end and made them the angry sounds for the evil sailors on the ship. So I have a naval NCO with a needlegun running through his chest firing bazooka rounds and randomly screaming afterwards.

I am pretty sure kids are not going to get that far in the pack unsupervised, but we shall see. If I experienced that when I was 10, I would have been... unsettled.

Rocko you might be the best person ever

I've been planning to run a server for some friends this summer and was considering doing Blightfall, but it is absolutely going to be BFSR now. Probably the right choice regardless of how hilarious the Philadelphia Experiment stuff is going to be, cause most of them have only ever played vanilla.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

gregtech new horizons continues to amaze. i never knew making a piston would be so convoluted

i think if the modpack used actual modern automation mods like TE and Minefactory but made their recipes equally bafflingly complex, requirements puzzlingly arcane, and processing times inordinately lengthy i'd be a lot happier, but these lovely IC2 interfaces and soundeffects are starting to vex

I get all my pistons from killing infernal mobs. The Muffler upgrade disables sounds on gregtech machines (but it also disables the "out of energy" sound).

chairface posted:

Does gregtech poo poo still explode over getting rained on?

Well technically gregtech poo poo catches fire when exposed to rain, and the fire makes the machines explode, but yes. Then anything connected to wires attached to that machine will explode as well.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah i config-filed all that poo poo out

unfortunately you can't config file out all the orehunting, and the fact that there is inexplicably three identical types of lapis lazuli with different names

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

yeah i config-filed all that poo poo out

unfortunately you can't config file out all the orehunting, and the fact that there is inexplicably three identical types of lapis lazuli with different names

Gregtech likes to include minerals with similar purposes but different chemical compositions. Lapis, Lazurite, and Sodalite all work as blue dye, but they can be processed down to different elements. Also Sodalite can't be used for lapotron crystals and similar things.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

McFrugal posted:

Well technically gregtech poo poo catches fire when exposed to rain, and the fire makes the machines explode, but yes. Then anything connected to wires attached to that machine will explode as well.

I'd really like to know what lead to this as a design decision. Did a young Greg growing up in East Germany observe a sub-standard vacuum cleaner, carelessly doused in vodka, blow up, killing off his extended family in a grisly and memorable fashion?

I mean, drat, I'm no engineer but I've spilled drinks on many a keyboard and none of them exploded catastrophically.

Rocko, have you used the Wilhelm scream for anything yet?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

mensrea posted:

I'd really like to know what lead to this as a design decision. Did a young Greg growing up in East Germany observe a sub-standard vacuum cleaner, carelessly doused in vodka, blow up, killing off his extended family in a grisly and memorable fashion?

This happens in other games too, but I'm not sure of a game where grind gets equated with 'difficulty' as much as in minecraft.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

mensrea posted:

In IC2 I think it was reaching towards realism or something, because putting too much voltage in an industrial machine *is* a bad idea. They just exploded in IC2. In Gregtech I'm pretty sure it's Greg taking everything to extremes and seeking to punish the player for mistakes.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

McFrugal posted:

In IC2 I think it was reaching towards realism or something, because putting too much voltage in an industrial machine *is* a bad idea. They just exploded in IC2. In Gregtech I'm pretty sure it's Greg taking everything to extremes and seeking to punish the player for mistakes.

Speaking of, has any such mod in minecraft ever implemented Fuses?

Also, I wish more of them had interesting penalties/interactions for setup than 'LOL TIME FOR EXPLOSION'

Too many mods have a single optimal way to do things and then 5 wrong/suboptimal ways.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Fayk posted:

Speaking of, has any such mod in minecraft ever implemented Fuses?

Also, I wish more of them had interesting penalties/interactions for setup than 'LOL TIME FOR EXPLOSION'

Too many mods have a single optimal way to do things and then 5 wrong/suboptimal ways.

Turning energy to matter? No problem. Building a nuclear reactor? Easy stuff. A fusebox? Whoa, back up there buddy. What do you think this is, the Jetsons?

I actually wish they would switch to RF at this point instead of just joking about it. It's an already established energy system that works and is stable. Why continue dumping scarce dev time into EU? I'm not sure what it adds to the game other than frustration for people not familiar with it.

The argument that bad things happen to machines that get the wrong voltage/wattage definitely holds water, but at the same time who wouldn't just throw some cheap fuses on a giant industrial machine?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

mensrea posted:

The argument that bad things happen to machines that get the wrong voltage/wattage definitely holds water, but at the same time who wouldn't just throw some cheap fuses on a giant industrial machine?

See, that's the thing for me - if the goal is to make you have to more carefully plan a setup, that doesn't mean you have to punish theem when they get it wrong. The device eshutting down and them having to reconfigure/etc is still 'gameplay' and makes them learn, if you wanna have a more 'complex' system. No need to additionally punish them for it beyond that.

mensrea posted:

Turning energy to matter? No problem. Building a nuclear reactor? Easy stuff. A fusebox? Whoa, back up there buddy. What do you think this is, the Jetsons?
Now I want to make a thaumcraft mod that adds ye magicke fuses(e) to one of thsse other mods just to mess with people's heads

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Zebrin posted:

You know, with all these modpacks and the like getting touted around, I have to question, when was the last time an actual Feed the Beast map was made?

Aside from the yearly PAX Prime FTB challenge map? Hard to say. They slap the name on so many different things now (none of which I have any intention of installing to try out), that I can't tell which ones actually adhere to the original format and which ones are just run of the mill modpacks.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ha.

I just tried a garden of glass botania modpack that didnt have NEI open at the start.

Can you guess how long it took before i hit save and quit? (i did manage to punch 5 blocks of dirt, but without being able to hit 'e' type in dirt and then see how to make dirt........)

I even closed down the pack to check that it was installed before going back in and turning it on.
That was scary.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Meskhenet posted:

Ha.

I just tried a garden of glass botania modpack that didnt have NEI open at the start.

Can you guess how long it took before i hit save and quit? (i did manage to punch 5 blocks of dirt, but without being able to hit 'e' type in dirt and then see how to make dirt........)

I even closed down the pack to check that it was installed before going back in and turning it on.
That was scary.

NEI won't help you anyway for that. In a GoG skyblock, dirt comes from the Rod of the Lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

EricFate posted:

Aside from the yearly PAX Prime FTB challenge map? Hard to say. They slap the name on so many different things now (none of which I have any intention of installing to try out), that I can't tell which ones actually adhere to the original format and which ones are just run of the mill modpacks.

I'd say HQM kinda made the whole feeding of the beast thing a bit redundant, agarian skies quests towards the end sort of fill the niche.