Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This sort of dumbness is really stupid, but I can't personally hate it because it's a way for people to explore their identity when they might have questions but struggle to answer them. Sure, it's stupid and they should really grow out of it, but hopefully some of them will come out the other end realizing that, while that wasn't them, there's nothing wrong with being normal. Or, that maybe they don't fit that normal in a way that ISN'T stupid.

Properly coming to that conclusion does require people to be able to call their bullshit so they can grow out of it, though, so keep ripping on them. It's good for them!

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 07:23 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only thing that really gets annoying is when people insist on coming up with extremely narrow labels for their own specific feelings and identity at the time, usually cobbling it together from Latin or Greek words. "Bigender: demiboy and third gender" and "Polygender" can end up meaning the exact same thing or nearly the exact same thing depending on who's talking at the time.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Cleretic posted:

This sort of dumbness is really stupid, but I can't personally hate it because it's a way for people to explore their identity when they might have questions but struggle to answer them. Sure, it's stupid and they should really grow out of it, but hopefully some of them will come out the other end realizing that, while that wasn't them, there's nothing wrong with being normal. Or, that maybe they don't fit that normal in a way that ISN'T stupid.

Properly coming to that conclusion does require people to be able to call their bullshit so they can grow out of it, though, so keep ripping on them. It's good for them!

After a lot of consideration, I'm pretty much at the same conclusion. Identity is about as complex a subject as any other as far as psychology goes. It's sometimes embarrassing, or galling, or painful to watch people - especially people you know - have this crisis that revolves mostly around words and abstract ideas. But you can't live someone's life for them and I know I hosed up plenty in my youth. It's annoying that there are people trying to shut down entire lines of dialogue and thought, but then you realize they're not shutting people up as much as shutting themselves *out*.

That said, a lot of gender politics goes back to antiquity, so there's plenty of people who have real protests and grievances with the status quo. They have the right, the human right, to say what they will and feel what they wish. But one person's rights end where another person's begin.

No sacred cows. That's the price you pay for free expression.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

PROPOSAL:
LOB's law: If you think it, there's someone on the Internet being a bigot about it.

CHALLENGE:
LOB, please find an example of someone comparing women to the Antichrist because there is an upside-down cross in the female gender symbol.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Am I the first to post an IOSM from Miitomo?

This happened yesterday morning. A friend of a friend of a friend added me on Miitomo. Some of her responses made her seem like the living Tumblr stereotype ("Intelligence is such a classist, bigoted concept" and "I didn't go out this week because of my anxiety") but I figured that maybe she was just bad at explaining herself and just a little bit awkward. She would always Like my posts on Miitomo no matter what they were about, but I figured she was harmless.

Then all this happened.

I was immediately unfriended and apparently she went on to have a bit of a breakdown afterwards to some people she knew about dog owners and unfriended a bunch of them on Facebook for not being equally upset. The word has become a meme, but did I trigger someone?

For the record, I'm okay with cats.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

HairyManling posted:

Also, you can't like Pantera and Beyonce at the same time. You're only allowed to enjoy one type of thing. I wish more people would understand this.

To be fair it's hard to reconcile thinking Phil Anselmo is cool and liking Beyonce's recent output.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Question Mark Mound posted:

For the record, I'm okay with cats.

Be glad they unfriended you. Someone that defensive and obsessive about cats (or anything, honestly) is weapons-grade crazy. Normal people would just either ignore your comment or politely disagree and talk about their experience with cool cats/boring dogs, not launch into a rage-filled rant as if you just insulted a close family member.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

"Anticat propaganda" is a pretty funny line and shes taking it way more seriously than most healthy people should. That said your opinion is wrong and dogs are stupid :petdog:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Picnic Princess posted:

The best part of all this is a local politician wannabe quit his job over the "terrorism" line he posted on Facebook. I looked him up and he's a friend of a friend. That's hosed up.

It's just so cute when the kids play-act at grown-up's jobs! Look Mum, I wrote a press release! It has "-30-" on the end and everything! Oh it's OK, you can look at it now because it says "for immediate release". :3:

edit:

tower time posted:

"Anticat propaganda" is a pretty funny line and shes taking it way more seriously than most healthy people should. That said your opinion is wrong and dogs are stupid :petdog:

tower time's right. Birds über alles.

Weatherman has a new favorite as of 12:41 on May 2, 2016

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

tower time posted:

That said your opinion is wrong and dogs are stupid :petdog:
Not disagreeing with dogs being stupid, but they're the best kind of stupid.

Weatherman posted:

tower time's right. Birds über alles.
Not-IOSM:
https://twitter.com/rainbirdart/status/700233622784086016

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Weatherman posted:

Birds über alles.

:nws: :nws: :nws: A million f-bombs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZGNxOwIWl4

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Question Mark Mound posted:

Anticat propaganda

Tumblr types are really loving nuts about cats.

There's a pretty notorious video/gif from a few years ago of a toddler throwing a tantrum and slapping a cat really hard in the face, who then attacks him and runs off. I ran into it on Tumblr once and a huge proportion of the many responses to it are "Babies are such shitheads to cats. Got what he deserved." and other such sentiments.

Never mind deriding the parents who just let their kid and cat be dangers to each other while filming it and laughing the entire time.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PS I vape and have a big dick thanks

New thread title incoming. Please.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I second that motion.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Scarf posted:

PS I vape and have I am a big dick thanks

Fixed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUFh9MQAb5c

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

"Apart of the problem?" So...far away from the problem? Sheesh, such pretentious wording...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm so far apart, I can't even see the problem.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

trapped mouse posted:

"Apart of the problem?" So...far away from the problem? Sheesh, such pretentious wording...

That image has so many artifacts, I had to actually look up what the hell he'd underlined.

What does he have against federal reserve notes? Is this a liberatrian thing?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

hyperhazard posted:

That image has so many artifacts, I had to actually look up what the hell he'd underlined.

The Rand reference in the user/groupname gives it away.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Otisburg posted:

Seein' a lot of crypto-racist posts claiming to "not care" about Beyonce's new album.

I feel like maybe by taking the time to post about it they do, in fact, care? :shrug:

Reminds me of last year when a cousin posted a Morpheus meme - "What if I told you I don't give a poo poo about Caitlyn Jenner?" Then two responses later launched into a multi-paragraph rant about her. I think you used the wrong meme there, pal.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Picnic Princess posted:

Angry! Angry about steak!

Craig seriously there are more than two billion people who practice Islam on this planet, do you really believe that every single one of them is a terrorist, what is your loving deal

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

So I just got a friend request from the person who used to bully me in elementary/middle school. It took a bit to figure this out, first of all, because his name was a pseudonym related to money, but I still recognize his face. This is his profile picture! He's the one on the right.

Let's take a look at what he's been up to recently...

Snitches get stitches, I guess.

Intimidating!

Oh wow.

Moral of the story, get a loving education, kids.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I had a school age bully friend me a number of years ago and all I got were Farmville requests. Some things never change.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

Fiat money has no intrinsic value, ergo it is worthless paper and we're all being duped by the Rothschilds/Freemasons/Bilderbergers/[insert conspiracy of choice]. Basically, yeah. It's a libertarian/ancap/sovcit thing. Given that monetary and fiscal policy is my field of study, this is the IOSM that is most likely to get under my skin.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Warmachine posted:

Fiat money has no intrinsic value, ergo it is worthless paper and we're all being duped by the Rothschilds/Freemasons/Bilderbergers/[insert conspiracy of choice]. Basically, yeah. It's a libertarian/ancap/sovcit thing. Given that monetary and fiscal policy is my field of study, this is the IOSM that is most likely to get under my skin.

Even better, I know the guy who posted this and I guarantee he just got into libertarianism so weed/all drugs can be legalized. At least, that's what he based his entire personality around in college.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

I had a school age bully friend me a number of years ago and all I got were Farmville requests. Some things never change.

The guy who was a condescending prick towards me in high school (I wouldn't call it bullying exactly, but he would occasionally make fun of me) is now wildly successful and works for Google in China. I remember he had a sort of man-harem in high school of lots of guys who wanted to hang out with him. He tried to induct me into this man-harem and didn't seem pleased that I wasn't interested. In retrospect I probably should have become "friends" with him just for the future networking opportunities.

The only real IOSM I'm friends with on Facebook from high school is this girl who used to be super goth and is now an extremely conservative engineer who posts a bunch of memes about "KIDS THESE DAYS" and common core being bad.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Scarf posted:

PS I vape and have a big dick thanks
Vape Culture in action, shame on all of us.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

Mine just sent me dickpics.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

trapped mouse posted:

Even better, I know the guy who posted this and I guarantee he just got into libertarianism so weed/all drugs can be legalized. At least, that's what he based his entire personality around in college.

Well, I mean, I'm all for legalizing weed and prostitution.

So I can measure, regulate, and tax it. :kheldragar:

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Danyull posted:

So I just got a friend request from the person who used to bully me in elementary/middle school. It took a bit to figure this out, first of all, because his name was a pseudonym related to money, but I still recognize his face. This is his profile picture! He's the one on the right.

You know someone is a real hard thug when they're packing the pepper spray keychain their mom got from her self defense class.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Danyull posted:

YOLO

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

You know someone is a real hard thug when they're packing the pepper spray keychain their mom got from her self defense class.

That's a lighter, but that doesn't make it any better.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Geokinesis posted:

Mine just sent me dickpics.

So what you're saying is, Farmville requests are worse.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

please don't interrogate my heterosexuality

vv: stealin that to reply directly to said post, thank you, saddest friend

cash crab has a new favorite as of 04:44 on May 3, 2016

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

cash crab posted:

please don't interrogate my heterosexuality

getting drunk, looking at people flexing, eating bad food with your tits out seem p par for the course for a gay bar

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Guys, i'm so glad I don't smoke Meth right now.

http://methed-up-samurai.tumblr.com/

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Bina posted:

Guys, i'm so glad I don't smoke Meth right now.

http://methed-up-samurai.tumblr.com/

ahaha

Gerard Way was the front man for My Chemical Romance, dude. So super tough.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

The Saddest Rhino posted:

getting drunk, looking at people flexing, eating bad food with your tits out seem p par for the course for a gay bar

:o
thanks saddest friend

if you ever want my fb password i give you full permission to make comments as me, I love you v. much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

ahaha

Gerard Way was the front man for My Chemical Romance, dude. So super tough.

Nah, he's totally a writer ... of a comic book.