Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

I have containers similar to these, no more sad cereal boxes.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/en-US/modular-cereal-containers

Doesn't solve my Trader Joes granola boxes problem though. Seriously, what kind of design is this? My cat could have made a better design, he wants easy access to food.

What's up, granola bar buddy? :3: This is what my box looks like:

It's an epidemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Death Zebra posted:

The last piece of meaningful feedback I got was in 2009 and it told me what I already knew: that I hadn't answered the teamwork question well enough. They wanted to hear about some big loving teamwork project and I've never even encountered anything like that. I think it was a filing job that involved very little teamwork and no projects.

It's not even that I want meaningful feedback, but when they say that they'll be making a decision by x date, it would be nice to hear that I didn't get it. Ah well, I have another interview on Monday, so that's something!

Peeve: Interviews. Why they decided to introduce behaviour based questions is beyond me. I hate those!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I think I've bitched about this before, but why in the hell do people respond to craigslist postings asking for information that is in the posting? I'm gonna lose my marbles here. Why does this happen?

I stopped listing furniture on Craigslist because I would state in every ad that the buyer needed to pick it up in their own vehicle and at least half the responders asked if I could deliver it. My sympathies.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I think I've bitched about this before, but why in the hell do people respond to craigslist postings asking for information that is in the posting? I'm gonna lose my marbles here. Why does this happen?

What the gently caress? :argh:

The best thing about Craiglist is that now you have a new dangerous friend. My brother sold his car 3 years ago and the guy still emails him with general automotive questions. Not even about my brothers car.

At a previous company I worked at, we sold off all kinds of junk just to clear out the building. Every person would act like it was a huge decision about buying a new house or starting a new business. In reality, we were selling broken, un-returnable, 42" TV's for $25-$55. This was at a time where their retail was around $700. They all worked fine, but had a variety of physical damage to the chassis. Thus the almost free price. I bought one myself and it's been working fine since 2008.

They would try to negotiate the price, ask if it had a warranty, does it support HDMI, does it come with a wall mount, who do I call when I have problems, does the volume automatically adjust when the movie gets louder, etc?

I wanted to pay these assholes the price of the TV just to leave me alone. Do these people argue about the cost of a box of plastic spoons at Kmart?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ytlaya posted:

For some reason, some people seem to be under the illusion that they are actually "not that drunk" when they actually are, which confuses the hell out of me. I've never had any trouble telling when alcohol is impairing my ability to articulate things well

How would you know though? The whole problem is that you can't tell you're impaired, so it means nothing that you don't think you're impaired.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I dislike young children at movies. Most of the time it doesn't bother me enough to do anything, but today at the Jungle Book, this kid hit the jackpot. Running around, talking, and the kicker, light up loving shoes. Kids being inattentive shits I can generally tune out. But what sort of gently caress wit parents dress their 3 year old in light up shoes with the intent of going to a movie?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Why do things "drop" so much these days?

The new trailer for X-Men 9: Dawn of Legends of Tomorrow just dropped!

Taylor Swift's new album drops at midnight tonight!

My god, think of another synonym for "released."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

walrusman posted:

Taylor Swift's new album drops at midnight tonight!

See? Even celebrities do it. Everyone poops.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

How would you know though? The whole problem is that you can't tell you're impaired, so it means nothing that you don't think you're impaired.

I think most people are aware of the fact that they are drunk, they just tend to underestimate just how it is effecting their speech/abilities (due to, you know, the impaired judgement). I've never seen someone decide to drink and drive that acknowledges "I am way too drunk to be doing this thing with serious consequences if I get caught", it's always "I drive better when I'm drunk", or "I'm barely over the limit I'll be fine, I do this all the time" etc. Also most drunk people take someone telling them they are drunk as an insult, like you're insulting them by implying they are near/past their limit and should stop. Most times I've heard someone do the "go home, you're drunk" thing the response is along the lines of "oh yeah??? gently caress you *orders a bunch of shots until they get thrown out*".

On the other hand, the people who act like if you've had 1-3 drinks you have to surrender your keys for the rest of the day are pretty insufferable (even if their heart is in the right place, but I'd argue in those cases it's probably more judgemental than anything). Like let's say you have a glass of wine with dinner out somewhere, and are at the restaurant for a couple hours, or if you've had a few beers spread out over a whole afternoon+evening at a bbq or something. You're almost certainly perfectly fine to drive home. I'm very against drunk driving for any reason of course, but I wish these people (usually overly-concerned relatives or obnoxious ~straight-edge~ types) would ease up a bit. The rate your BAC falls isn't exact and can vary, I know, but if it is several hours after my last drink after a social/light drinking session I'm probably good to go.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
No co-workers, nagging me for the 301st time will not discourage me from buying this packet of smokes. I've had a crummy day and I don't need this right now. :smith:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

queserasera posted:

I stopped listing furniture on Craigslist because I would state in every ad that the buyer needed to pick it up in their own vehicle and at least half the responders asked if I could deliver it. My sympathies.
No joke, a gal emailed me last week about the car and told (not "asked") me to deliver it to her in a town 325+ miles away. Straight up "I want this car, bring it to this address"

mostlygray posted:

who do I call when I have problems
Argh, this one kills me, too. Dude, you're buying a used item from some random stranger and you're getting a helluva deal. No, you may not contact me if this laptop gets a virus or one of the legs on this table needs tightened or if the light in this microwave burns out. Why should I continue to be responsible for maintenance and upkeep on some poo poo you bought from me on Craigslist? Does Wal-Mart come wash your Tweety Bird sweatshirt when it gets dirty, just because you bought it from them?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Batman writers insisting that Alfred is a butler. No he isn't. He's clearly a valet.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I've sold old PC parts on Craigslist and inevitably end up getting one of those dumbass scammers trying to get me to take a check and ship their laptop to their kid/wife/cousin/etc. in some other state. Even when I put in the ad that it's ONLY local deals, ONLY cash, and either they come pick it up or meet somewhere. I'd say close to 75% of the time, I get stupid emails still asking me to take a check and ship the laptop somewhere else, so those get blocked. I barely use CL now because a buddy of mine works at a second-hand computer shop in town, so I just tell him when I've got spare parts and he usually tests it and gives cash. Too many idiots and wanna-be scammers online nowadays to bother trying to use CL, I tried putting in big, bold letters "READ THE loving ENTIRE AD" at the top and that still didn't deter anyone.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
cold pizza

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Yeah I don't think people who make their living scamming the elderly are going to be deterred by your polite requests that they not scam you. Sorry. :sigh:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Batman writers insisting that Alfred is a butler. No he isn't. He's clearly a valet.

I played Trivial Pursuit yesterday and had to answer a question like, "Who was Bertie Wooster's butler?" The answer was naturally Jeeves, but Jeeves was likewise Bertie's valet, not a butler (except in 1-2 stories when Bertie loaned out Jeeves' service to act as a butler, saying something like, "Jeeves could buttle with the best of them").

(And you can bet I was :viggo: as gently caress when I said all that.)

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

PIzza with too much cheese.

Whenever my friend is in charge of ordering pizza he gets extra sauce and extra cheese every time and it is a soggy mess

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Rabbit Hill posted:

What's up, granola bar buddy? :3: This is what my box looks like:

It's an epidemic.

To continue, I decide to open up some more of my boxes

Hey it looks like the apple box opened pretty well!

Oh wait no it didn't. I don't have bugs, and my house is cat-proof, so its bottom falling apart is TJs fault :argh:

E: I checked some of their cereal, why is the bottom so much easier to open :psyduck: :psyduck:

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Women who have gross, clumpy, spidery mascara. Even worse when they use eyeliner around the entire circumference of the eye, thus making their eyes look shrivelled up and tiny. Shrivelled up dead spider eyes. I honestly think with some people make up is like drugs, after a while a small amount just doesn't cut it, so they up the dose, and keep on going and before you know it they are onto their 5th layer of mascara and are thinking 'it's not thick and clumpy enough, I'll just keep going.'

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Lyrics. Are the lyrics on this site or this site correct? I adore the booklets that come with CDs and sometimes records that have no lyrics, but artistic works instead that are an extension of the music's theme. But gently caress man, I just want to know what the lyrics are, and sometimes the singer smooshes the words so that I can't tell :(

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I would know because anything beyond the first couple beers I find myself having increased difficulty translating my thoughts into speech. It really isn't difficult to tell if you're impaired, and I think that in most cases it's just that people don't want to admit it* (especially if they might have an actual problem with alcoholism or something) and manage to convince themselves otherwise. It's naturally embarrassing to realize you've been acting ridiculous or making a fool out of yourself, so I think many people try to avoid coming to that conclusion.

*I think this is exacerbated by the fact that being able to "hold your alcohol" is treated as a sign of masculinity, so many (if not most) men do not want to admit when they are being affected by alcohol.

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Apr 30, 2016

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I hate when I walk up to a 4-way intersection with stop signs and there's a bunch of cars there too and one or more of them try to be helpful and wait for me to cross even though it would be so much goddamn faster if they all just went and let me cross when I can see that it's safest for me to do so.

I really hate when I'm trying to wait one of these assholes out and they honk at me.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
When nothing at all is appetizing to eat and you're hungry. First world problem? When even junk food doesn't make you go "oh okay that sounds good." Especially after you just hit the grocery store.

My mom stayed home from work today. I usually get home 3 hours before she does. So today she had all day to chill, and within the first few minutes of me coming inside had a dozen questions, wanted to chat about her lunch date and emails and this email and this call and....loving LET ME TAKE MY SHOES OFF BEFORE YOU START THE WORD RIVER. Despite the fact she'd been home most of the day, she hadn't done any of the afternoon feedings/chores so I had to do those while she sat at her computer, prattling on and on. An hour later when I finally was done with everything and sat down at my own computer, she had to come over and keep talking and only stopped when my answers were clearly short and uninterested. Can you not give me a few loving minutes to unpack my lunchbox and get out of uniform? Give the person who just got out of work and a hour drive home 10 loving minutes to use the bathroom!

Unproductive emails. Case in point, we got an email about picking up some foster kittens. Since mom has all this on her email, I tell her to ask where and when we need to pick up the kittens, what time, and any paperwork we need to get them right from the shelter. So she Reply All and asks where the kittens are. We get a reply. Then she emails when we should pick them up. Oh, another email to ask about paperwork. So what should have been one email with one reply turned out to be six and she still forgot to ask what time the clinic is open for foster pickups. Ten. Ten total emails back and forth because she was too busy to type everything out right the first time!

Assholes who just are lazy. At work today I had a pickup of 6 boxes. They were set up as 5 pounds, but they were clearly more than that. Close to 60. They were stacked tight on a shelf, and the only way to safely get them out was to move another stack of fragile things that were set up after the boxes were crammed and forced into their shelf. When I finally got the packages out, they didn't have the right scan bar and someone had left all the old shipping info on it, so it was doubly confusing. When I confronted the fuckers who set up the entire mess, they just shrugged. One rear end in a top hat made a huge flat speech how they were so sorry and they begged my forgiveness and would I ever speak to them again after they had hurt me so? And the last one just said he put in 5 pounds for the weights because they didn't have a scale anymore so all boxes are automatically five pounds. When I pointed out one of the boxes had been set aside and almost marked as "not here" because I didn't see any small boxes that would weigh about five pounds around, he just gave me the dead-eye look of a crackhead coming down. Assholes, you intentionally make my job harder because you are too loving lazy to Sharpie out a label, see how often I help you next time.

docLeder
Oct 27, 2004

Dr Scoofles posted:

Women who have gross, clumpy, spidery mascara. Even worse when they use eyeliner around the entire circumference of the eye, thus making their eyes look shrivelled up and tiny. Shrivelled up dead spider eyes. I honestly think with some people make up is like drugs, after a while a small amount just doesn't cut it, so they up the dose, and keep on going and before you know it they are onto their 5th layer of mascara and are thinking 'it's not thick and clumpy enough, I'll just keep going.'

I hear you. I have the same thing, I can't see why women want to use so much mascara that their lashes turn into like 10 on each eye. I have a former classmate of mine on facebook, and 8 years later, she still does her eye makeup the same, her sister on the other hand that looks almos similar to her actually know how to do her makeup. I can't see why she hasn't said something.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Cowslips Warren posted:

Unproductive emails. Case in point, we got an email about picking up some foster kittens. Since mom has all this on her email, I tell her to ask where and when we need to pick up the kittens, what time, and any paperwork we need to get them right from the shelter. So she Reply All and asks where the kittens are. We get a reply. Then she emails when we should pick them up. Oh, another email to ask about paperwork. So what should have been one email with one reply turned out to be six and she still forgot to ask what time the clinic is open for foster pickups. Ten. Ten total emails back and forth because she was too busy to type everything out right the first time!

Your mom has figured out, whether she realizes it consciously or not, the only reliable way to get all her questions answered through the medium of email. I can't tell you how often I've sent an email asking 2 or more questions, and I get an answer to exactly one of them. Great, thanks now let me repeat my other X-1 questions and continue doing that as you answer the first one each time until I run out.

Apparently a large number of people will have an aneurysm if they have to read and process more than one inquiry within a short span of time.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

mostlygray posted:

I wanted to pay these assholes the price of the TV just to leave me alone. Do these people argue about the cost of a box of plastic spoons at Kmart?

Judging by how they treat my co-workers, and yell about prices, yes. Yes they will.

Also, my peeve is when I am knitting and there's a break in the skein. :argh:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Che Delilas posted:

Apparently a large number of people will have an aneurysm if they have to read and process more than one inquiry within a short span of time.

I hate this so much. I've had multiple bosses that, in response to a long email with several questions and results that I need feedback on, will just give a "thanks for the update" all-lowercase no effort email. I have to email them individual questions no more than a line or two to ever get what I need from them.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Tiggum posted:

In a way, he was also a batman. :)

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
My sister keeps leaving her washing in the machine :argh:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

artsy fartsy posted:

I hate when I walk up to a 4-way intersection with stop signs and there's a bunch of cars there too and one or more of them try to be helpful and wait for me to cross even though it would be so much goddamn faster if they all just went and let me cross when I can see that it's safest for me to do so.

I really hate when I'm trying to wait one of these assholes out and they honk at me.

Or when one of them is nice and "lets" you cross in front of him (as is your right as a pedestrian :argh:), but the guy on the other side of the road doesn't, or the guy making a turn doesn't, and now you're in the middle of the road playing chicken with a moving car.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

My yahoo e-mail app gives me notifications of every e-mail but the ones I want to read. :argh:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
People who complain about red light cameras are loving stupid. Oh, poor baby got caught running a red light and breaking the law, boo loving hoo. Guess what? You're in public and there's not a drat thing you can do about cameras in a public place taking your picture, especially when you're notified in advance of speed cameras being installed. "Oh no, someone DARED enforce the law, mah rights have been trampled! :byodood:"

What's next, gonna ask every retailer to take down security cameras because one caught you shoplifting, or spotted you breaking into a car in their parking lot, you loving moron? Yeah, that's what I thought. Assholes like that aren't mad at the laws being enforced, they're mad because they got blatantly caught doing the same stupid, reckless poo poo they'd probably been doing for a looonngg time before cameras were installed. If you don't want to get punished for breaking the law, then DON'T BREAK THE loving LAW.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Supposedly (in Chicago at least), many of those cameras caught people legally turning right on red or entering an intersection on a yellow. They're not a great tool for anything except revenue.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ozz81 posted:

People who complain about red light cameras are loving stupid. Oh, poor baby got caught running a red light and breaking the law, boo loving hoo. Guess what? You're in public and there's not a drat thing you can do about cameras in a public place taking your picture, especially when you're notified in advance of speed cameras being installed. "Oh no, someone DARED enforce the law, mah rights have been trampled! :byodood:"

What's next, gonna ask every retailer to take down security cameras because one caught you shoplifting, or spotted you breaking into a car in their parking lot, you loving moron? Yeah, that's what I thought. Assholes like that aren't mad at the laws being enforced, they're mad because they got blatantly caught doing the same stupid, reckless poo poo they'd probably been doing for a looonngg time before cameras were installed. If you don't want to get punished for breaking the law, then DON'T BREAK THE loving LAW.

People aren't mad about them because they get caught doing dumb poo poo, people are mad about them because they don't work properly, are put in place by shady companies that are outright bribing public officials, and they increase rates of injury-inducing accidents. You're pissed off like a little babby because you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ryoshi posted:

People aren't mad about them because they get caught doing dumb poo poo, people are mad about them because they don't work properly, are put in place by shady companies that are outright bribing public officials, and they increase rates of injury-inducing accidents. You're pissed off like a little babby because you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Yeah, I thought it was common knowledge that those camera systems are designed to spray tickets at pretty much every motorist in view in the hopes that they'll just pay them. "Ah, poo poo, did I run a red light two months ago over in Houston? I don't remember. Eh, I'll just send them a check. It's too far away to bother contesting it."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Tiggum posted:

For some reason I read this in Archer's voice

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Every day I take my glasses out of their protective case and carefully wipe them down with the special cloth, then gingerly balance them on my face and sit perfectly upright and hold absolutely still and tuck my hands under my legs so that there's absolutely no loving way that I will touch my glasses at all.

In 20 minutes a giant smudge will appear.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

artsy fartsy posted:

Every day I take my glasses out of their protective case and carefully wipe them down with the special cloth, then gingerly balance them on my face and sit perfectly upright and hold absolutely still and tuck my hands under my legs so that there's absolutely no loving way that I will touch my glasses at all.

In 20 minutes a giant smudge will appear.

When it's cold and you walk in somewhere warm and your glasses fog up. GODDAMNIT

People who go ":smug: Whenever I watch mysteries, I always know whodunit before it ends". Shut up. Watch the drat movie. My mom does this; we went to see Sixth Sense in theaters and she goes, "Bruce Willis is dead" twenty minutes in.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've always treated the "red light cameras are just for making money" thing on the same level as someone assuming that a person who likes X is secretly a paid shill for X. Sure, yes, there are cases where it's true, but it's not enough to justify assuming it wholesale.

You hear about the dude kvetching about getting a ticket for a false positive, you don't hear from the people who ran a red light and got properly flagged. If it makes money off those people (or those too lazy to contest if they feel they were wronged), no skin off my rear end.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 05:48 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

My pet peeve is being a French-speaker who has lived in anglophone countries for years and has no clue how to pronounce French words borrowed in English. Do I correct "Pain au chocolate" and sound like a try-hard? Do I try to ape the pronunciation people actually use and sound like I'm mocking them?