Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

RabidWeasel posted:

In further "why would you make the game work that way" news: the 'physical' defense / absorption stats - not the ones for slash / pierce / blunt, but the first ones - are actually for a fourth damage type, which is "standard". Somehow I never noticed this until someone pointed it out and it also makes no sense what the gently caress is the difference between slashing someone with a straight sword (standard damage) or slashing them with a katana (slashing damage)? :psyduck:

Want even more :psyduck:? Whips do slashing damage. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Spent 45,000 souls to level up and unlock the Wolf Knight's Greatsword and really all I learned is that I'm much better with a quick one hander.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Soooooooooo

I found the nameless king. Uhhh. Yeah. 21 Tries. Here, have some snippets and my ultimate victory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8fwaUEfagI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEa4q6wKEew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwi_x5LoddI

Realtalk: Honestly I found his first phase to be really easy. I almost always died in this fight during the first 10-15 seconds on the 2nd phase. Then I realized he's really weak to getting pounded on and staggered, which is how I beat him.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

rotaryfun posted:

Patches:

Patches tricks you in cathedral by dropping the narrow gate.
Meet Patches on the other side of the room that you were initially crawling to by going into the cathedral rafters where he's all my bad it was just a goof
Find onion knight in the well where he mentions his armor
Go up top of Firelink tower after buying key, Patches locks you in tower.
Go out the bottom and find Patches inside Firelink top of the right most stairs as if you were going outside to go up tower.
Buy armor; give it back to onion knight

Don't know if you have to do exactly all that, but that was my experience.

If you've already beaten the deacons and gotten the firekeeper soul, patches will just appear in firelink in his vendor spot with no tricks after triggering Seig. At least that's what happened my run through

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I was just sitting in work and I remembered that loving giant cat spider thing that attacks you in cathedral of the Deep and then again in Anor Londo.

Seriously, gently caress that thing.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

^burtle posted:

Spent 45,000 souls to level up and unlock the Wolf Knight's Greatsword and really all I learned is that I'm much better with a quick one hander.

I use the Farron Greatsword with the dagger combo and on paper it sounds awesome. The move set is cool as hell.

In practice it just means they look at you while you're flipping around and kill your rear end. It doesn't stagger enemies like AT ALL. Fuckin' sucks.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Finally finished Aldritch so I could respec without loving up sirris' questline.

Oh, you think this is regular Solaire?

Nope. This is DARK SOLAIRE (you can tell he's evil because of the goatee)

First invasion and he ran in a circle for 5 minutes trying to summon phantoms over and over before he blocked at the wrong time and I got a riposte on him :darksouls:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is the shotel parry usable or is it complete garbage?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Jastiger posted:

I use the Farron Greatsword with the dagger combo and on paper it sounds awesome. The move set is cool as hell.

In practice it just means they look at you while you're flipping around and kill your rear end. It doesn't stagger enemies like AT ALL. Fuckin' sucks.

It can be a beast in PVP or against swarms of lighter people, use the dagger stab for alot of the LB/L1 attacks to hit confirm.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Finally finished Aldritch so I could respec without loving up sirris' questline.
The patch (the one that is out everywhere) changed this and only straight up offering Rosaria a tongue counts for either quest trigger now.

You can easily confirm this by talking to Leonhard who will still be hanging out by the throne pleading for you to start collecting tongues for Rosaria until you straight up offer one.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stormgale posted:

It can be a beast in PVP or against swarms of lighter people, use the dagger stab for alot of the LB/L1 attacks to hit confirm.

What is a hit confirm?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

Soooooooooo

I found the nameless king. Uhhh. Yeah. 21 Tries. Here, have some snippets and my ultimate victory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8fwaUEfagI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEa4q6wKEew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwi_x5LoddI

Realtalk: Honestly I found his first phase to be really easy. I almost always died in this fight during the first 10-15 seconds on the 2nd phase. Then I realized he's really weak to getting pounded on and staggered, which is how I beat him.

What are your stats and what twinblades are those? I can't tell at a glance but drat they outdamage my Gotthards by a good amount on the L1s.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

^^ looks like the grave warden pair to me.

Jastiger posted:

What is a hit confirm?

The dagger hits for all of the spinny moves do a tiny amount of damage but because poise isn't really a thing they can interrupt attacks, so you can use it to ensure you get off the spinny flashy part of the attack..

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Harrow posted:

What are your stats and what twinblades are those? I can't tell at a glance but drat they outdamage my Gotthards by a good amount on the L1s.

Sharp +9 Sellsword Twinblades with 40 dex. I stopped leveling up at level 85, and then reversed course and dumped another 10 levels into Vitality for fashion souls purposes. So I think I'm level 95 with 40 DEX, 18 STR, and the rest in Vigor and Endurance with whatever difference in Vitality.

I could just go look but I'm super loving lazy right now sorry. Also, if it helps I'm using the Pontiff's Left Eye (the damage one), which helps alot on those long combos.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

^burtle posted:

yeah I leveled up the wolf knight's greatsword to +4 but can't decide if it's any good for pvp in place of a faster straight sword or katana.

looking for a good greatsword to level up for quality build but not sure which one to go with.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

Sharp +9 Sellsword Twinblades with 40 dex. I stopped leveling up at level 85, and then reversed course and dumped another 10 levels into Vitality for fashion souls purposes. So I think I'm level 95 with 40 DEX, 18 STR, and the rest in Vigor and Endurance with whatever difference in Vitality.

I could just go look but I'm super loving lazy right now sorry. Also, if it helps I'm using the Pontiff's Left Eye (the damage one), which helps alot on those long combos.

The +9 Sharp Gotthard Twinswords at the same stats definitely don't do that much on the L1s. Jeez, maybe I should try out the Sellsword Twinblades then. The Gotthards do have a sweet rolling L1 though.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Is the shotel parry usable or is it complete garbage?

It's usable but... I've tried it out for a large part of my first playthrough and missed a shitload of parries with it so i suspect its parry window is weird

When I switched to target shield/buckler or parrying dagger, I did a lot better!!! But that also might just be because I learned the timings better so i dunno

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Harrow posted:

The +9 Sharp Gotthard Twinswords at the same stats definitely don't do that much on the L1s. Jeez, maybe I should try out the Sellsword Twinblades then. The Gotthards do have a sweet rolling L1 though.

I've had a ton of success using them against bosses. Other than bosses though I almost never use them. They don't stagger enemies very well, so I use them for shear DPS when a boss gives me an opening. Otherwise I have a +10 Wolf Curved Sword that I totally love for clearing levels, but it's too slow for most bosses.

My results with them in PvP are mixed. They're loving disgusting if you manage to get in a nice combo, but they're not any faster than a straightsword or Katana so you can easily get into trading matches. Not only that but their roll and running attacks are pretty lack luster imo so they're not very good at helping you chase someone down.

I have 2 slabs in my inventory but I'm refusing to +10 them until I get the Ghotthards and Twin Katanas or whatever and see how I like those.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

I've had a ton of success using them against bosses. Other than bosses though I almost never use them. They don't stagger enemies very well, so I use them for shear DPS when a boss gives me an opening. Otherwise I have a +10 Wolf Curved Sword that I totally love for clearing levels, but it's too slow for most bosses.

My results with them in PvP are mixed. They're loving disgusting if you manage to get in a nice combo, but they're not any faster than a straightsword or Katana so you can easily get into trading matches. Not only that but their roll and running attacks are pretty lack luster imo so they're not very good at helping you chase someone down.

I have 2 slabs in my inventory but I'm refusing to +10 them until I get the Ghotthards and Twin Katanas or whatever and see how I like those.

I really do love the Gotthard Twinswords, they're a ton of fun. The second hit of the L1 combo is pretty slow, but it combos well into R1 and L2. And the rolling L1 is so fast, powerful, and far-reaching that it honestly feels like cheating. Real good weapon.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What on earth is going on with all of untended graves? Alternate reality?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stormgale posted:

^^ looks like the grave warden pair to me.

The dagger hits for all of the spinny moves do a tiny amount of damage but because poise isn't really a thing they can interrupt attacks, so you can use it to ensure you get off the spinny flashy part of the attack..

AH I see. Yeah I've used it on like Lothric Knights and just wreck them with the dodge behind em, but then they just laugh at my attempts to out style them and just crush my face. I have better luck with boring estoc and boring shield than with the cool as hell ninja great sword and it makes me sad.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

mastershakeman posted:

My guess is that it's the present version of firelink that the princes never went and linked the fire in, so poo poo started to go dark. The firelink used as a hub is the weird rear end alternate reality dream world made by ludleth

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Most likely time travel. It's some weird poo poo.

I don't know if you've beaten the boss there yet so I'll make this a separate spoiler: Champion Gundyr is Iudex Gundyr, the first boss. When you find him impaled on the coiled sword, it's because he was defeated in the past by an unknown warrior: you. Or at least, that's what Gundyr's soul hints at. What's interesting is that the Shrine Handmaid that you buy items from is there and has some very interesting things to say. And if you find the Eyes of a Fire Keeper there, you can give them to the Fire Keeper in your Shrine and also talk to Ludleth for some pretty fascinating lore about what a world without fire would look like.

I've seen other theories that suggest it's an alternate reality, or a Ludleth's shrine, or any number of other things, but I'm going with it being the same shrine in the far past going by Champion Gundyr's soul's description.

Spanish Manlove posted:

My guess is that it's the present version of firelink that the princes never went and linked the fire in, so poo poo started to go dark. The firelink used as a hub is the weird rear end alternate reality dream world made by ludleth

Yeah, it could be that the Champion Gundyr you fight in Untended Graves is an alternate version of Iudex Gundyr and not literally the same one, you're just mirroring what happened to Iudex Gundyr. It's all fascinating stuff though.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Spanish Manlove posted:

when does it say ludleth made firelink 2

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

mastershakeman posted:

it's whatever you want it to mean. if you play through the entire game up to that point without ever talking to your old lady vendor in your firelink before you talk to her there, then you talk to her there first, then go back to your firelink and talk to her, she "remembers" you. that, plus gundyr, leaves a lot of people to think that it's the past and there's time travel shenanigans going on.

personally I think it's just an alternate reality that exists to show you what happens when there is no hero to save the day. to me, "firelink" is a concept that exists outside of any actual physical location (meaning that it is literally a pocket space that links all of the bonfires, hence fire-link) and the untended graves is just a cast-off portion of a dead world that is a cautionary tale for the player. it gives you reason to try and link the fire, and not to explore the hollow lord ending.

I also think it's literally the end of the Dark Souls 1 world, based on the details of the location that you uncover, but that's complete personal speculation.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Man, the NK keeps kicking my rear end. Or rather, the camera in the first part of the fight. Most of the time I keep turning around just to eat his lance or another attack in the face, or a fire breath which I can't escape from. I can barely get to the second phase and don't really have time to learn his moves until he pummels me.

Hardest fight of the game by far.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Malcolm XML posted:

when does it say ludleth made firelink 2

It's hinted because he "willed" himself to be a lord. Either way, the hub firelink takes place after the dark firelink, because of [spoiler] Iudex and also the handmaiden having a different dialogue if you never talk to her before going to the dark firelink and speaking to her there then going back and speaking to her in the hub[/spoiler.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Am I a weeaboo scrub for enjoying the dual katanas in PvP? :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One interesting thing is that you find Andre's blacksmith hammer in the dark Firelink, even though he's using it in your Firelink. Some people have taken that to mean that your Firelink has a "fake" Andre and the real one is long dead. That, and the pile of Fire Keeper corpses really suggests something very strange is going on in the player's version of Firelink Shrine.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Fuzz posted:

Am I a weeaboo scrub for enjoying the dual katanas in PvP? :smith:

No, youre a turtle.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Shoenin posted:

No, youre a turtle.

poo poo, now I need that shell armor...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harrow posted:

One interesting thing is that you find Andre's blacksmith hammer in the dark Firelink, even though he's using it in your Firelink. Some people have taken that to mean that your Firelink has a "fake" Andre and the real one is long dead. That, and the pile of Fire Keeper corpses really suggests something very strange is going on in the player's version of Firelink Shrine.

I really do wonder what's with the pile of them at the bottom of the tower and the dead one on top of the tower.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Couldn't he have just woken up and said "oh that's where I left my hammer time to get to work!"

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I don't know if this has been posted before but this video gives some interesting light on Untended Graves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5mHuSFRzZM

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another thing that I think primed people for the "fake Firelink" theory is the Hunter's Dream in Bloodborne. Separating the rest of this out for Bloodborne spoilers, in case anyone hasn't but wants to play it: It's your hub, explicitly separate from the rest of the world and existing in a literal dream, and if you explore for a while, you can find the real location it was based on in the physical world. It's all very creepy, including an actual, non-living doll the same as the living doll who levels you up in the Hunter's Dream. It makes a certain amount of sense here, because Gehrman and the Moon Presence created a dream version of the Hunter's Workshop to serve as a base of operations for Hunters in Yharnam, which naturally explains why the doll is alive in the Hunter's Dream.

It's a wonderfully creepy reveal and I think it's natural to make the same conclusion when you get to Untended Graves.

Regy Rusty posted:

Couldn't he have just woken up and said "oh that's where I left my hammer time to get to work!"

That's what I think--I'm on the "time travel" instead of "alternate universe" or "that's the real Firelink" side of things--though it does lead to a ~*~time paradox~*~ if you pick it up in the past but he still has it in the present, so who knows.

One interesting thing is that if you get the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring in the main Firelink, it isn't in the Untended Graves, and vice-versa, suggesting that maybe it's the same ring and therefore the same place at different times.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Or maybe he has more than one hammer.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
One thing that interests me also lore-wise is that the final boss suggests dozens if not hundreds of people have linked the fire before, but only these five lords of cinder are needed to restart the fire.

I wonder what it is specifically about these five that makes them special

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

I really do wonder what's with the pile of them at the bottom of the tower and the dead one on top of the tower.

If you kill the fire keeper, she'll be alive again next time you visit Firelink shrine. Where do you think the old one went?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

How do I dodge the king of storms AOE flame breath .. it always kills me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One thing that interests me also lore-wise is that the final boss suggests dozens if not hundreds of people have linked the fire before, but only these five lords of cinder are needed to restart the fire.

I wonder what it is specifically about these five that makes them special

I don't think they're special at all, it simply takes a lot of soul power to do the linking and those guys have the most when you come around. A lot of the fluff around the linking and power amassing is ritualistic and not fundamental to the linking of the fire, which is why it changes every cycle.