Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So would they really have lost the rights to just his costume but not the character himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
There's something about the flag shirt and belt that I can't help but like.

Then I see the hotpants over tights...

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jim Lee strikes again

that loving Deadshot :barf:
And I can't believe that Katana not only has not gone through a redesign yet but appeared in a TV show and a big budget movie unchanged.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Killer Croc is Godzilla and Captain Boomerang is a hobo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
At least Waller looks to be back to her rightful self.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

When did X-O Manowar join the DCU?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Jim Lee is a menace and must be stopped.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

fatherboxx posted:

Jim Lee strikes again

And I can't believe that Katana not only has not gone through a redesign yet but appeared in a TV show and a big budget movie unchanged.

I like the Harley holding the Joker doll despite Harley finally breaking away that abusive relationship. I guess DC didn't like what Palmiotti did but can't argue because it's one of their best sellers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Superstring posted:

Jim Lee is a national treasure and must be celebrated.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Deadshot's classic mask is a loving treasure and the most obviously cool design. The last time I was this offended at a pointless open face was Starlord. Also, someone explain how Croc's jaw works.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Trast posted:

I like the Harley holding the Joker doll despite Harley finally breaking away that abusive relationship. I guess DC didn't like what Palmiotti did but can't argue because it's one of their best sellers.

Harley has "finally broken away from that abusive relationship" several times, it never sticks.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ferrule posted:

Killer Croc is Godzilla and Captain Boomerang is a hobo.

At least in the movie they are committing to a hobo look 100%

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Chinaman7000 posted:

Deadshot's classic mask is a loving treasure and the most obviously cool design. The last time I was this offended at a pointless open face was Starlord. Also, someone explain how Croc's jaw works.

He looks like Deathlok

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Discussion over in the funny panels thread reminded me that Power Girl used to sport THIS spiffy ensemble back in the what else 90s.

Bet you're wishing for some nice plain spandex and a boob window right about now, PG?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Selachian posted:

Discussion over in the funny panels thread reminded me that Power Girl used to sport THIS spiffy ensemble back in the what else 90s.

Bet you're wishing for some nice plain spandex and a boob window right about now, PG?

For just a second there I saw a louvered air intake on her crotch. Still unsure that's not what I'm supposed to be seeing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think everyone's looking fine except Deadshot, especially now Deathstroke's costume has been so simplified.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

SirDan3k posted:

Harley has "finally broken away from that abusive relationship" several times, it never sticks.

I'm reasonably sure it will stick as long as the current team has her. But you are probably right. :smith:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

Jim Lee strikes again

I REALLY liked Captain Boomerang's new costume from Brightest Day, which has stuck throughout the New 52. People forget he used to look like an old-fashioned stewardess, with his light blue shirt (blouse) with puffy sleeves, emblazoned with the boomerang pattern, and his little fast food worker-looking hat made of matching material. When he came back to life wearing black and dark blue, with the long coat, the bandolier strap of boomerangs, and the watch cap, with the white scarf remaining from his original outfit, it was a terrific look. I even have his DC Universe Classics action figure, and it's one of the best ones they ever made. Seriously.

But he looks like a hobo in the movie, and he just looks DULL in that picture by Jim Lee.

And I'll agree that Deadshot had one of the best masks in comics, thanks to the late Marshall Rogers. I haven't minded tweaks to his costume over the years, but that simple gray form-fitting mask with one eye and the targeting sight over the other eye was iconic. I liked how some artists drew the mask so tight that you could see his facial expressions through it -- see also Spider-Man, Deadpool, and Deathstroke. But this looks BAD. It looks like one of the Leviathan guys from Jonathan Hickman's Secret Warriors series. Overly complicated for no good reason.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would be fine with preserving Jim Lee if that means we can seal him in loving carbonite and put him in a deep rear end hole forever

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

People forget he used to look like an old-fashioned stewardess, with his light blue shirt (blouse) with puffy sleeves, emblazoned with the boomerang pattern, and his little fast food worker-looking hat made of matching material.

I didn't forget and it was magnificent.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The only way for Deadshot to recover from that monstrosity is go back to this:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jim Lee using some old rejected Wildcats design for Deadshot I see.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

fatherboxx posted:

Didn't Katana get a leather jacket in last week's suicide squad mini? They did that, changed her pants, and re-explained what her sword does in the space of like 2 pages so I just assumed it was movie-continuity prep

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Remember when this thread used to be about costumes? (This derail's pretty entertaining, though).

A Jack Kirby redesign for Cap in case Marvel lost the rights for the original design to Joe Simon.

Looks like an alternate universe Cap where he's a squire to Captain Britain.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, here's some interesting stuff - Wizard magazine's ideas for a hypothetical 'Ultimate DC Universe':

Kind of confused by why Wondy's got a nose piercing.

(This one basically shows all the people shown above, but it does also give a look at the Atom - who I can't help but wonder might have been the inspiration for Atomica - and Despero, who looks more-or-less the same, except his cape is apparently the UN flag he took as a trophy.

So: better or worse than the New 52?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Neat, I've never seen high res versions of those. The original article had whole origins and everything. Here's Superman since I didn't see that one linked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That Aquaman is ridiculous. He looks like a high level WoW character with half his gear equipped.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
all New Teen Titans up there looks like shiiiittt.

Everything else is pretty meh. The costumes barely change. I think you'd need the supplementary story backgrounds for it to really work.

//oh God they actually tied Superman's origin into the Smallville TV series. Proving in one deft stroke that they don't understand what the Ultimate Universe is meant to do (get rid of continuity kruft).

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 4, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The concept for the Titans there is that they are a team put together by Lex Luthor's PR team in order to counter the good press the JLA are getting. They are literally a Boy Band of superheroes whose only purpose is to make headlines.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Haha. I'd be shocked if David Finch didn't rip their Batman off for the 'Batman Incorporated' suit.

Love the Inc suit. And I like the black utility belt in their version.

e: Almost everything else is horrific.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 4, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If anyone's curious about the other backstories they had cooked up for these, well here they are.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Crotch towel is always a bad decision.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It seems like an awful lot of these got recycled in other series/media.

Shades of TDK in that Batman origin, Hawgirl's JL plot in WW, Teen Titans basically being Lexcorp's Infinity Inc from 52.

I think the GL proposal was the strongest. But they all stick to pretty well worn avenues.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Haha. I'd be shocked if David Finch didn't rip their Batman off for the 'Batman Incorporated' suit.

Love the Inc suit. And I like the black utility belt in their version.

e: Almost everything else is horrific.

I really like that Ultimate Batman design. For comic Batman, it's always made sense to me that he would have a holster for his grapple gun.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hate the full-face mask and crotch-outlining piping on the Flash costume.

Hate Wonder Woman's open-sided skirt, barely laced together corset, and why is she carrying a battle axe? This isn't D&D. And the weighted cord on the end of the handle, which I assume is supposed to be a substitute for her lasso, definitely won't get annoying to draw or anything.

Robin, it's not 1992. The leather jacket and spandex look is dead. Or should be.

Wonder Girl's boots and gloves are awful and of course she gets a corset too. And Raven does not need to be all gothy fishnets.

Batman is perfectly serviceable but not all that huge a change. Green Lantern looks pretty sharp although I think it could use a bit more green -- it's in his name and all.

I'm not crazy about Superman's Nehru collar, and filling the S-logo with black just makes him look too dark and evil. Which, I suppose, is in keeping with the Snyder movies.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm pretty sure Ultimate DC there is over a decade old, they weren't trying to match it with Snyder's movies. If anything they were probably going for his Kingdom Come look. And Wonder Woman has a battle axe back in Pérez's post crisis reboot, there's precedent for that. She used it more than she ever had a sword.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 4, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

It seems like an awful lot of these got recycled in other series/media.

Shades of TDK in that Batman origin, Hawgirl's JL plot in WW, Teen Titans basically being Lexcorp's Infinity Inc from 52.

I think the GL proposal was the strongest. But they all stick to pretty well worn avenues.

Hell, the whole 'Amazons want to rule Man's World for it's own good' is the plot in Morrison's Wonder Woman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gaz-L posted:

Hell, the whole 'Amazons want to rule Man's World for it's own good' is the plot in Morrison's Wonder Woman.

How is that, by the way? I was convinced it'd never come out.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I've always kinda liked the jacket over spandex look. Maybe it shouldn't be a leather jacket, but done well it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mover posted:

I've always kinda liked the jacket over spandex look. Maybe it shouldn't be a leather jacket, but done well it's good

Maybe not a great look for Robin though. But I do like the 90s Superboy outfit. And Rogues jacket is a classic at this point.

• Locked thread