Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Internet Kraken posted:

Isn't eating souls to feed your own power something every undead does?

I think only the unkindled can turn souls directly into power, since it's the firekeeper that actually does it. Ditto with the DS2 protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Does anyone call ludleth little Lord? It feels so right.

Little Lord Ludleth.

Someone definitely does, but I don't remember who.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Harrow posted:

Someone definitely does, but I don't remember who.

"Did the Little Lord Ludleth speak of any curious matter..."

e: It's pretty cool how big of a shift in tone that twist is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maybe Ludleth's the furtive pygmy. :v:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Bolow posted:

There's some other stuff you get after you kill the Twin Princes from her actually :v:

I killed her for them because screw waiting till 2P for that poo poo. I got people to kill :colbert:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So where between 80-120 is a good point to hover around if your primary concern is just putting down signs for random Co-Op altruism in the later half/Last Quarter of the game? I'll be level 67 when I hit my next "I want that" goal of 20 Endurance. My desire for a few toys more will probably end up with 75 minimum.

My build is all over the place and inefficient as hell compared to many, but none of the stats I have right now at 60ish is anything I'd want LESS of anyways even if I would save any potential respecs for after doing it won't anger NPCs.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 2, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

net cafe scandal posted:

When he's in the air. Even if I pick a direction and sprint as soon as I recognize the tell, I still get insta killed if I'm not at full health.

Take this with a grain of salt because I still haven't beaten NK, but a rule of thumb that's worked for me is to just start running in a straight line the second you see he's about to take off, or better yet after every time you land some good hits. You'll miss out on some damage opportunities this way but if you just treat every take off like a 100% chance that he's going to use his flying fire attack, you'll rarely get caught by it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ineffiable posted:

Does anyone call ludleth little Lord? It feels so right.

Little Lord Ludleth.

I may be small, but I will die a goliath.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

The Skull Ring description sounds like a player character.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm rolling a pyromancer and I'm currently level 27, just at the crucifixion woods. My str and dex are only 12 apiece, with my faith and int at 20. I've been using a +2 raw rear end and a +2 flame, but I'm wondering what sort of weapons I should be thinking about. Last playthrough I was a straight sword and board str toon, but I never paid attention to weapons for casters.

Are there are major thread go-tos or do I just wing it like last time?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what does it take to "link the fire"? surely someone like ludleth didn't have to kill 4 skeleton lords, do you just volunteer and wham you did it?

e: how does your know the ring description? "hmm the ring was inscribed with 'was a really powerful dude but also very sensual'"

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm rolling a pyromancer and I'm currently level 27, just at the crucifixion woods. My str and dex are only 12 apiece, with my faith and int at 20. I've been using a +2 raw rear end and a +2 flame, but I'm wondering what sort of weapons I should be thinking about. Last playthrough I was a straight sword and board str toon, but I never paid attention to weapons for casters.

estoc and pyromancy, raw until you can get chaos

pyromancy by itself kinda shreds every boss though, the estoc is just for backup

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Hey guys go through the game and don't talk to the shrine maiden

Talk to her in past Firelink

Then talk to her in Firelink.

Enjoy confirmation of Firelink being in the "future"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm at the 2nd to last area and I'm still just using a raw rear end. It's pretty rad with Carthus Flame Arc when the boss doesn't die to Great Chaos Fire Orb alone.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

NotAnArtist posted:

http://darksouls3.wikidot.com/equipmentgroup:barbed-straight-sword

http://darksouls3.wikidot.com/equipmentgroup:witch-s-locks

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Internet Kraken posted:

Parry fishing in PvP is pretty awful with the hornet ring. You can spend 5 minutes pounding on some guy while he missed dozens of parries, then he finally lands one through sheer luck and takes you from 100 to zero :geno:

You should learn some unparriable attacks. Running R2/forward+R2 is always unparriable, whips are unparriable, ultras are unparriable at least when 2-handed and maybe 1-handed too. It all depends on your stats but most chars can use a Zweihander, it's 19 Str 12 Dex and since you'll 2-hand it anyway you only need 14 Str. At 18 Str you can 2-hand a Large Club. Both these weapons weigh 10 units which isn't bad. If you have some casting ability some fireball spells can finish them off at low health. Spam throwing knives and kukris, throwing knives can be rapid at 2 or 3 thrown per second. Try lightning bottles too, just manually aim them because lock-on will miss.

Parry spammers are often low-skilled and won't be able to adapt to these options, they may take you out of your comfort zone but git gud with 1 or 2 and you'll have a fighting chance.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Section Z posted:

So where between 80-120 is a good point to hover around if your primary concern is just putting down signs for random Co-Op altruism in the later half/Last Quarter of the game? I'll be level 67 when I hit my next "I want that" goal of 20 Endurance. My desire for a few toys more will probably end up with 75 minimum.

My build is all over the place and inefficient as hell compared to many, but none of the stats I have right now at 60ish is anything I'd want LESS of anyways even if I would save any potential respecs for after doing it won't anger NPCs.

Summon signs are -20/+20, while invasions are -10/+30.

If you want to coop with ng people is stay as low as possible. Typical ng ending level is like 70ish

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Mortimer posted:

what does it take to "link the fire"? surely someone like ludleth didn't have to kill 4 skeleton lords, do you just volunteer and wham you did it?

That's one of those things that's never quite explained through all the games. From context, we can assume it means to gather a bunch of power/souls into yourself, and then use yourself as kindling to stoke the fire for another few millennia. Only this time around even if you go for the linking ending, it doesn't seem to work too well, considering the weak flame that barely covers your shoulders. Compare that to linking it in DS1, where the flame explodes and fills out pretty much the entirety of Gwyn's arena. We've worked our way down from keeping the fire roaring with 'chosen undead' to just throwing in any old leftover 'unkindled' bits that weren't able to burn properly in the first place.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mortimer posted:

It seems to be different things. It sounds like they just tossed Aldritch into the fire, and Lothric they were raising from birth to do it.

Maybe he just saw the fire was dying and tossed himself in it before anyone else could

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mortimer posted:

It seems to depend on what's going on in each particular cycle. Aldrich seems to have been "volunteered" for it, while Lothric was being raised from birth to link it. Ludleth may well have had such a strong will that he, on his own, was worthy of linking the Fire without any other souls--he "willed himself Lord," after all.

We just happen to always play as the dudes who have to fight their way to it when everything is irreparably hosed up.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

if you're not underneath the bird it won't want to fly up and breathe fire on you.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Hackan Slash posted:

If you want to coop with ng people is stay as low as possible. Typical ng ending level is like 70ish

I'm still getting very quick summons for the last few bosses, and no shortage of invasions in Grand Archives at 97. Just 5 pale tongues, 10 vertebra shackles and 10 swordgrass until i can escape the shackles of NG

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I'm so happy you can invade as a sunbro and get a medal for killing the host. it's faster than any pve co-op boss kill that I know of, because of pve boss health scaling and the fact that hosts will always summon the max number of phantoms for a boss so now it has like 8x health and then they die halfway into the fight so you wasted all that time anyway.

no thanks man just point me at the host and let me extract the medal from his chest. it's actually a bummer that you can't harvest ears or wolfgrass the same way.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I'm living the Raw lifestyle and loving every minute of it but I don't know what to infuse between the Astora's Sword and offhand Caestus I already have and the Dragon Knight Greatsword I won't have for a long time. I'm also tired of piercing swords. Are there any other weapons that are particularly good Raw without going over 18 Str 16 Dex?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

homeless poster posted:

I'm so happy you can invade as a sunbro and get a medal for killing the host. it's faster than any pve co-op boss kill that I know of, because of pve boss health scaling and the fact that hosts will always summon the max number of phantoms for a boss so now it has like 8x health and then they die halfway into the fight so you wasted all that time anyway.

no thanks man just point me at the host and let me extract the medal from his chest. it's actually a bummer that you can't harvest ears or wolfgrass the same way.

I mean they still summon the max amount of phantoms to gank invaders as they would for a boss so I don't see how it's faster unless you're exceptionally good. Maybe you are and I'm not giving you enough credit. I've found killing bosses to be way faster.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hackan Slash posted:

Makes sense. Guess I'll cut myself off at 80-85 tops, because god drat I am the absolute worst at anything approaching a "Focused" build or traveling light.

"But what if I want to one hand the Exile Greatsword, AND have three spell slots for utilities!?" *Hefts Stone parma, Flamberge, Misc 2.0 Weight sidearm, Shortbow, Chime, and Flame* "Hmm, I still can't quite wear lothric legs without fat rolling."

Ixjuvin posted:

I'm still getting very quick summons for the last few bosses, and no shortage of invasions in Grand Archives at 97. Just 5 pale tongues, 10 vertebra shackles and 10 swordgrass until i can escape the shackles of NG

That is encouraging too.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 2, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm thinking of doing a dumb Yuria of Londor cosplay character for low- / mid-level PvP. Is Darkdrift any good or should I just compromise and use the Washing Pole?

e: ouch, just realized it's a Twinkling Titanite weapon and can't be infused

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

and Lothric they were raising from birth to do it.

Which is an incredibly hosed up thing to do, and explains their bored nihilism even without their curse. I found Lothric vastly more disturbing than Aldrich.

Their fight is a fantastic demonstration of their characters, maybe even better than the Abyss Watchers.

And the music is mournful as hell. Gave me proper chills.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Well from the descriptions he crippled and muted his brother somehow?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Harrow posted:

Y'see, you say that, but there was just as much unexplained in DS1 and the DLC answered like two questions and then raised a bunch more and that was it.

DS3 answers more lingering DS1 questions than its DLC did, for sure.

Well yeah there's always unexplained things. But in DS3 you stuff like the pilgrim butterflies which seem really important when you first see them and one of them even tries to kill you, but after that boss fight they become completely irrelevant. The only thing you get is a name for them and the implication that they are Londor pilgrims. I though there was some big twist or a revelation coming when I saw those thing but they actually don't matter at all and have nothing to do with the story.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Deified Data posted:

I mean they still summon the max amount of phantoms to gank invaders as they would for a boss so I don't see how it's faster unless you're exceptionally good. Maybe you are and I'm not giving you enough credit. I've found killing bosses to be way faster.

I'm telling you man, Nameless King

The fight's super loving boring but there's so many more summoners than cooperators that even the biggest babies will give up after four or five summoning failures and go in with just you. If summon failures don't prompt them to go through the fog wall then the appearance of an invader will.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm thinking of doing a dumb Yuria of Londor cosplay character for low- / mid-level PvP. Is Darkdrift any good or should I just compromise and use the Washing Pole?

It's not bad, it doesn't scale as well as the Uchigatana which at lower levels doesn't matter. I prefer the Darkdrift's piercing skill over the katana stance. The 1H R2s are reversed - slash and then stab, which isn't as good as stab and slash. It looks pretty drat cool, too. The 2H R2s are really stylish attacks.

edit: you shouldn't be scared of a non-infusible weapon, scaling isn't that important

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can I take a weapon to +2 and still get hits for the auto-summon covenants? My +1 raw Longsword is pretty good, but I'd like an additional 10% damage if I could. I'm also considering putting in another 5 levels or so, up to 25. Is that within range for Farron?

Unrelated, but something that I'm not 100% clear on: the four lords of cinder were all dead and buried at some point, right? If so, then they were resurrected in an effort to link the fire, realized that they didn't want to be kindling, and hauled rear end from Firelink to their respective areas that were important to them in life, but have all gone to poo poo in death?

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

Kild posted:

if you're not underneath the bird it won't want to fly up and breathe fire on you.

This. The giant airborne aoe flame breath King Of Storms does will only trigger if you're goofing around underneath him. Just stay in front of his face while he's grounded and he won't do it. Doing that also makes lock-on not be super finicky given how he flies around during that phase.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Jesus gently caress is there a bonfire somewhere in the dungeons that I'm missing? Crawled through all five billion hallways and cells, finally got down to the big boy, then got eaten by motherfucking RATS and boom all the way back at the top. gently caress this area and mega gently caress rats. Poise not existing makes them so loving stupid

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MrTheDevious posted:

Jesus gently caress is there a bonfire somewhere in the dungeons that I'm missing? Crawled through all five billion hallways and cells, finally got down to the big boy, then got eaten by motherfucking RATS and boom all the way back at the top. gently caress this area and mega gently caress rats. Poise not existing makes them so loving stupid

No other bonfires, but there are a couple shortcuts back to that first one. If you were near rats, you were pretty close to one. :negative:

That happened to me, too, except it was a mimic. I felt extra awful because come the gently caress on, this is Dark Souls 3, why am I opening chests without looking closely at them EVER?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MrTheDevious posted:

I think there are only like two bonfires total in that area, but there are some non-obvious shortcuts and loopbacks around the level that make it a little easier. It still sucks, for sure.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The good news is that Irithyll Dungeon is a pathetically small area, despite its appearance, and you can more-or-less dash through the place because of how nonthreatening the Jailers are until their eyes light up.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is it ever hinted at why the Sunlight covenant item is so far away from the statue of Gwyn in Lothric Castle? Specifically why it's in some cultist's kitchen?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Deified Data posted:

no, you're right, but pvp is what I like very best about dark souls, so the downsides to pvp are less frustrating to me than the downsides to pve. I am the person who keeps telling people who run into 2v1 and 3v1 pvp mobs to actually try and fight them and get better and watch as you slowly start to win against them, instead of just getting frustrated with it and ignoring pvp all together. it is seriously a really awesome experience the first time you win a 2v1 or 3v1 scenario and it only gets more fun once you realize you can win 50% of the time or better. it doesn't happen overnight, but imo it's really fun and worth it.

for me, that's a way more entertaining way to farm 30 medals than doing some pve encounter where the host jacks the boss health up to 8x normal and then dies halfway through, or else the game doesn't let anyone but the host through the fog wall, or any of the other dumb poo poo that happens that means you aren't getting anything for your efforts. different strokes for different folks, but I'd rather play a 7 man rainbow melee in the road of sacrifices for a sunlight medal than grind out another round again the twin princes or whatever boss is popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Deified Data posted:

Is it ever hinted at why the Sunlight covenant item is so far away from the statue of Gwyn in Lothric Castle? Specifically why it's in some cultist's kitchen?

Because the Sunlight covenant isn't Gwyn's?