Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
For the plane escape, an easy way to get him to do it is to do the "ghost" opportunity that makes him feint. If you don't just murder him after doing that, he'll wake up after about a minute and immediately book it for the plane. You'll have plenty of time to get to the cannon and get set up to shoot the plane down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
This will get buried so fast but it's the kind of selling point I'd put in a game's OP.

This is among the rare few games (GTA V is the only other I personally know of) that has seamless transitioning of controller and mouse/keyboard input allowing the use of mouse and controller simultaneously. Perfect for when you need to quick click a few cops on the face.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

A majority of games released 'today' can do it, I don't think its particularly special any more.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dunno-Lars posted:

There is a scientist disguise at the morgue near the church, middle room. Easy way to do the lab is to just shoot the virus through the glass. Can do it from the ledge furthest away from the virus.
I tried that (the last bit) myself, and it ain't easy. Even with a sniper rifle.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
It's really not. The only way I could do it was using the instinctovision, landmarks, and guesswork. But it does work.

I did that with hiding the sniper rifle in the lab, though. I can't imagine doing it with only the silverballers.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Zigmidge posted:

This will get buried so fast but it's the kind of selling point I'd put in a game's OP.

This is among the rare few games (GTA V is the only other I personally know of) that has seamless transitioning of controller and mouse/keyboard input allowing the use of mouse and controller simultaneously. Perfect for when you need to quick click a few cops on the face.

Yeah, this is great. I like playing the game with a controller because there really isn't much shooting to do that would require the precision of a mouse. But if I need to snipe something quickly or shoot two targets at once, it's nice to be able to reach over to the mouse and take care of things easily.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The scoring system still requires some ironing out. I wish it went into more detail for things like number of shots, alerts that don't involve detecting 47 specifically, etc. More generally, I miss a system of measurement that was amenable to the "all zeroes" approach employed by the most hardcore players.

My favorite oldschool challenge in hitman blood money was Amendment XXV, where, in order to get no witnesses/all accidents/no shots fired, you had to play musical doors to keep the dog from seeing you, then drag Parchezzi about a quarter mile to some stairs you could push him down.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 2, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I just finally got this and burned through the Paris mission, definitely better than Absolution. Saw the very beginning of the Italy map and I like how much stuff there is outside of the main location for you to kinda explore around. Level looks beautiful.

Are most of the missions going to have 2 targets? I mean, there's multiple versions of every level (which is cool) so I guess its fine, but just seems like a shift from normal Hitman. They had some levels with 2 people, but they were the exception not the norm. (And then in challenges you can even have 3, so I guess 2 is a good medium?)

Zigmidge posted:

Qmass posted:

A majority of games released 'today' can do it, I don't think its particularly special any more.

Its not even necessarily a feature, I kinda prefer it to let you select. Some games you have to unplug your controller when you play the game with mouse and keyboard or else the stick might accidentally cause you to move.

Battlefield and plenty of games let you use both at the same time though yeah.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Qmass posted:

Most can't do it without some minor hiccup that makes playing with both simultaneously possible, no. Put down and switch, sure.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
So if I liked Silent Assassin and Contracts, loved Blood Money, and skipped Absolution is it safe to say this new Hitman is worth getting?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

So if I liked Silent Assassin and Contracts, loved Blood Money, and skipped Absolution is it safe to say this new Hitman is worth getting?

110%, unless you go apoplectic about lovely online gameplay. Which, don't get me wrong, is definitely lovely. But so far, with only two missions released, this is probably better than Blood Money. The game itself is solid as gently caress, my only complaints come from the online stuff not working like it should. But hopefully that all gets ironed out soon, they've been making progress as they go.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Its pretty much straight up Blood Money 2 with the caveat that its in early access and you only get the first 2 missions, but they're good ones.

The opening cutscene even referenced Blood Money's first mission and made me smile. (The cello player on the villa balcony)

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, they'd have to deviate pretty far from what they've already delivered for the new one to not be at least equal to Blood Money. But there are still four playgrounds left to be released.

Having said that, it feels like we could get a mid-stream update for Sapienza. I thought someone said upthread there's a night-time setting in the works/leaked, and something about Playboy's brothers? Most of the shops are empty, and there's the whole town hall complex that is completely unused at this point.

I also really want a tight, focused mission like a New Life, but I bet everyone want that. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Crappy Jack posted:

110%, unless you go apoplectic about lovely online gameplay. Which, don't get me wrong, is definitely lovely. But so far, with only two missions released, this is probably better than Blood Money. The game itself is solid as gently caress, my only complaints come from the online stuff not working like it should. But hopefully that all gets ironed out soon, they've been making progress as they go.
I'd put off playing Paris until this weekend because of the disconnect stuff and now the thing stopping me from buying the rest of the game is people seeing me through walls. It happens all the loving time and I have no idea what's causing it. :smith:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Its core gameplay is fantastic on almost all accounts, and the episodic release is actually working really, really well- it's letting them iron out bugs and improve design in a very responsive way, and best of all it's ensuring the writing and design aren't casualties of resource and schedule problems as happened with Blood Money and, honestly, most of the early entries in the series.

The writing is actually really good, too! It's so weird to say that about a Hitman game, but this is the first time since Contracts where I'm not in a constant semi-cringe.

Zaphod42 posted:

The opening cutscene even referenced Blood Money's first mission and made me smile. (The cello player on the villa balcony)

It's even better- each of the assassinations that cutscene depicts is a kill from one of the hitman games, in order:

1. One of the Lee Hong missions in C:47
2. Tracking Hayamoto in SA
3. the Traditions of the Trade remake in Contracts
4. A Vintage Year from BM
5. A dumb loud kill from Hunter and Hunted in Absolution

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Every time I go back to revisit Blood Money it's just too janky. I actually got spoiled by the excellent controls, movement and animations of Absolution :smith:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Every time I go back to revisit Blood Money it's just too janky. I actually got spoiled by the excellent controls, movement and animations of Absolution :smith:

Yeah, it's a shame Absolution's level design was so boring because the controls felt so much nicer than the previous games.

Hitman 2016 definitely seems to be making up for it so far, though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ahhh...that Blood Money jank.

This is an old all zeroes run of Amendment XXV. Still less of a mess than Requiem, or heck, check any of the other vids by that creator.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blood money wasn't that bad, being able to abuse the systems isn't really 'janky' IMO, you can do that with lots of games. It plays pretty well for its time. Maybe I got lucky but the controls seem fine.

The level Requiem though was definitely janky, it was a gimmick level and that's just kinda the only way it could go down. But Blood Money is a good game with lots of great levels even ignoring that one completely. Its a pretty long game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's a perception issue, I'll agree with that. I tend to treat Hitman kinda like that old game Stuntman, anyone remember that? In Stuntman you have to complete difficult, precise driving segments over the course of about 5 minutes, and if you gently caress up even once you have to start over from the beginning. So basically you end up failing over and over while slowly improving, to nail that perfect run.

That's how I play Hitman. Almost every level has a path that you can run to get Silent Assassin in like 5 minutes if you know exactly where to go. Like in the first real level, the villa, I run straight inside and take advantage of like a 3 second window to place my bomb on the chandelier wench when nobody is looking. Then I run outside to a back wall that you can traverse, which leads to a pipe that goes straight into the targets window. I knock him out with anesthesia and toss his body over the railing so it looks like an accident. At some point the other target has walked into the right spot so I hit the bomb and bam, done.

The annoying part is in the RNG. This is mainly where my complaint of jankiness comes from. Sometimes guards are in slightly different spots for no obvious reason. Sometimes you walk into an area and get spotted very quickly, and then when you try again they barely notice you. Sometimes when I set off the bomb for the chandelier, a civilian will die and sometimes they won't. However, I don't feel like I've 'completed' a mission until I get Silent Assassin. I guess this makes me a sperg.

Not nearly as bad as Absolution, where if you load a checkpoint all the guards reset to their default locations regardless of whatever was happening before. Jesus loving Christ how did that get past QA?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Anyone have an issue with someone across the level spotting you kill a target? It might have something to do with (re)loading, I was trying to do a suit only silent assassin in Paris so I was kind of savescumming, when I killed Victor in the downstairs bathroom a stylist across the level got alerted. Reloading didn't help.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

wyoak posted:

Anyone have an issue with someone across the level spotting you kill a target? It might have something to do with (re)loading, I was trying to do a suit only silent assassin in Paris so I was kind of savescumming, when I killed Victor in the downstairs bathroom a stylist across the level got alerted. Reloading didn't help.

It's a bug a few people have noted. I haven't had it happen to me personally but apparently it's not uncommon. For some reason you occasionally get psychic NPCs that are somehow locked on to everything you do regardless of where they actually are in the level, so the second you commit a crime or do anything suspicious they're instantly alerted.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Discendo Vox posted:

Ahhh...that Blood Money jank.

This is an old all zeroes run of Amendment XXV. Still less of a mess than Requiem, or heck, check any of the other vids by that creator.

I forgot how bad the voice acting was.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's a bug a few people have noted. I haven't had it happen to me personally but apparently it's not uncommon. For some reason you occasionally get psychic NPCs that are somehow locked on to everything you do regardless of where they actually are in the level, so the second you commit a crime or do anything suspicious they're instantly alerted.

My suspicion is that this is caused by the game recognizing when you enter the NPC's line of sight, but not recognizing when you leave. As far as I can tell it only occurs with NPCs you have passed by at some point in the past, never people you've never encountered at all.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Discendo Vox posted:

My suspicion is that this is caused by the game recognizing when you enter the NPC's line of sight, but not recognizing when you leave. As far as I can tell it only occurs with NPCs you have passed by at some point in the past, never people you've never encountered at all.
That's a distinct possibility, I'll keep an eye out the next time it happens.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Has anyone used the agency noisemaker? I found it rather odd, in that its normal function was distinctly underwhelming, but carrying it openly caused people in my vicinity to become intrigued, even through walls, and come investigate where I was standing for that reason.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Strudel Man posted:

Has anyone used the agency noisemaker? I found it rather odd, in that its normal function was distinctly underwhelming, but carrying it openly caused people in my vicinity to become intrigued, even through walls, and come investigate where I was standing for that reason.

Yeah, it is like a really crap coin when thrown, one that raises suspicion and sends the target away quickly once they get to it, but is the ultimate bait for pesky costumes like the golf coach.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Blood Money is the best game in the series. Bad voice-acting and general jankiness have been part of the series from the beginning so I'm willing to forgive those pretty easily.

I barely played Silent Assassin and I haven't tried the new one so maybe one of those is better.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 3, 2016

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Is there actually a plot here because last I remember of blood money I was shooting up a bunch of guys at a funeral and then I think I was on a plane and some people (ICA?) were after me. Didn't play absolution but I'm not sure how we got to this new game where I'm just doing lots of distinct missions (for ICA again). Have they basically dialled it back to 'you're an assassin, you kill people we tell you do' and made it self contained from the other entries? I know there's a background plot going on with that other assassin etc and it gets embellished with npc dialogue etc but there seems to be little in the way of plot on 47s side.

E:also calling it that one mission will have us assassinating a Kim jong un type in a nk analogue.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

ThomasPaine posted:

Is there actually a plot here because last I remember of blood money I was shooting up a bunch of guys at a funeral and then I think I was on a plane and some people (ICA?) were after me. Didn't play absolution but I'm not sure how we got to this new game where I'm just doing lots of distinct missions (for ICA again). Have they basically dialled it back to 'you're an assassin, you kill people we tell you do' and made it self contained from the other entries? I know there's a background plot going on with that other assassin etc and it gets embellished with npc dialogue etc but there seems to be little in the way of plot on 47s side.

E:also calling it that one mission will have us assassinating a Kim jong un type in a nk analogue.
Blood Money the story was a guy was trying to kill you and get your DNA so he could corner the market on badass clones while pretending to want to outlaw it. He arranged for ICA to basically be destroyed in the process.

The story of this one is it starts between the very opening of the first game (where you escape from the lab) and join ICA for the first time. So not quite a prequel but a jump back in time from where the story was. I think it jumps forward in time for the Paris mission again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, they'd have to deviate pretty far from what they've already delivered for the new one to not be at least equal to Blood Money. But there are still four playgrounds left to be released.

Having said that, it feels like we could get a mid-stream update for Sapienza. I thought someone said upthread there's a night-time setting in the works/leaked, and something about Playboy's brothers? Most of the shops are empty, and there's the whole town hall complex that is completely unused at this point.

I also really want a tight, focused mission like a New Life, but I bet everyone want that. :v:

No idea if the nighttime Sapienza is separate from the others, but I've read that the next 3 missions after Marrakesh take place in Thailand, USA, and Japan.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

The story in the every hitman game is pretty awful. They can write funny dialogue within a level and often do decent job of humanising the targets but the plot is invariably dumb and bad. It's not really a problem when it barely features like in BM but was one of the many things that dragged down absolution.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Everything after the tutorial takes place at the latest point in the series chronology, after Absolution. Things are effectively reset and you're just doing ICA jobs again after killing a bunch of their leadership that were being dumb.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea everything was set back to status quo after the events of Absolution. It turned out Diana had faked her own death and once the rear end in a top hat who was running ICA was dead everything I guess went back to normal. Well, normal for ICA.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

UrbicaMortis posted:

The story in the every hitman game is pretty awful. They can write funny dialogue within a level and often do decent job of humanising the targets but the plot is invariably dumb and bad. It's not really a problem when it barely features like in BM but was one of the many things that dragged down absolution.

Yeah, really the plot just needs to be there enough to build up to a big ending mission, in my opinion. The bulk of a Hitman game should just be "Hey, here's a mission, go do it", with maybe the occasional hint toward some big conspiracy that inevitably involves you shooting the guy responsible in the face and walking off into the sunset.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

All of that said, I kinda liked Victoria. I just don't want to be on the friggin run with her and have to do story poo poo about it. I'm a goddamn Hitman.

I wonder if Thompson will show up in this season.

On another note - Have there ever been any genuinely virtuous targets or do only jerks end up on the hitlist? The targets this time around seem like the closest there's ever been to non-assholes (Diana excepted)

I laughed so hard in Blood Money when you have to kill the US ambassador and this opera singer, but it's okay, they're totally running a kiddie porn ring or something.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Jintor posted:

All of that said, I kinda liked Victoria. I just don't want to be on the friggin run with her and have to do story poo poo about it. I'm a goddamn Hitman.

I wonder if Thompson will show up in this season.

On another note - Have there ever been any genuinely virtuous targets or do only jerks end up on the hitlist? The targets this time around seem like the closest there's ever been to non-assholes (Diana excepted)

I laughed so hard in Blood Money when you have to kill the US ambassador and this opera singer, but it's okay, they're totally running a kiddie porn ring or something.

I can't think of any that aren't at least a bit dodgy which I guess is to not make 47 a irredeemable monster but it's not like he has much of a personality anyway.

Laughed at the bit in the mission briefing for sapienza when Diana says that the super death virus is a threat not only to the agency's work but it's core ideals.

Isn't ICA's ideals literally just murdering dudes for cash?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

UrbicaMortis posted:

I can't think of any that aren't at least a bit dodgy which I guess is to not make 47 a irredeemable monster but it's not like he has much of a personality anyway.

Laughed at the bit in the mission briefing for sapienza when Diana says that the super death virus is a threat not only to the agency's work but it's core ideals.

Isn't ICA's ideals literally just murdering dudes for cash?

Yeah haha, I guess their core ideals are that only super rich people should be allowed to kill with impunity or something?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Their core ideal is that if you kill someone, you gotta make it at least a bit difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think they just don't like the whole "hands off" approach. It's like replacing jobs originally done by humans with computers; it lacks the "personal touch"