Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Deified Data posted:

Is it ever hinted at why the Sunlight covenant item is so far away from the statue of Gwyn in Lothric Castle? Specifically why it's in some cultist's kitchen?

Praise the soup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
Does reinforcing blessed items increase the regen at all? I've been 2-handing this massive fuckoff greatsword and realized today I might as well strap that blessed shield you find to my back for free regen.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Melanion posted:

Does reinforcing blessed items increase the regen at all? I've been 2-handing this massive fuckoff greatsword and realized today I might as well strap that blessed shield you find to my back for free regen.

yea

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

Because the Sunlight covenant isn't Gwyn's?

It's just that From doesn't place anything anywhere without a reason, and the room you find the medal in just seems too random. I get why they didn't wait until the last quarter of the game you grant you access to the co-op covenant, but I figured you'd find it somewhere a bit more meaningful. Like Gwyn's statue could have just as easily been at the High Wall, but they chose a dank kitchen next to some estus soup.

homeless poster posted:

no, you're right, but pvp is what I like very best about dark souls, so the downsides to pvp are less frustrating to me than the downsides to pve. I am the person who keeps telling people who run into 2v1 and 3v1 pvp mobs to actually try and fight them and get better and watch as you slowly start to win against them, instead of just getting frustrated with it and ignoring pvp all together. it is seriously a really awesome experience the first time you win a 2v1 or 3v1 scenario and it only gets more fun once you realize you can win 50% of the time or better. it doesn't happen overnight, but imo it's really fun and worth it.

for me, that's a way more entertaining way to farm 30 medals than doing some pve encounter where the host jacks the boss health up to 8x normal and then dies halfway through, or else the game doesn't let anyone but the host through the fog wall, or any of the other dumb poo poo that happens that means you aren't getting anything for your efforts. different strokes for different folks, but I'd rather play a 7 man rainbow melee in the road of sacrifices for a sunlight medal than grind out another round again the twin princes or whatever boss is popular.

Fair. As a huge co-oper, that guy who just has to squeeze in that third phantom despite constantly being unable to summon is a pet-peeve of mine. I just lie on the ground for 5 minutes while they decide what the hell they're doing.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 2, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
DP

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Deified Data posted:

It's just that From doesn't place anything anywhere without a reason, and the room you find the medal in just seems too random. I get why they didn't wait until the last quarter of the game you grant you access to the co-op covenant, but I figured you'd find it somewhere a bit more meaningful. Like Gwyn's statue could have just as easily been at the High Wall, but they chose a dank kitchen next to some estus soup.

If you look at the table it's on there are shackles and I think a pile of knives around? The person who was there got tortured and turned into soup.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Estus orange is made from sun people!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Salean posted:

If you look at the table it's on there are shackles and I think a pile of knives around? The person who was there got tortured and turned into soup.

And that person...

...was Solaire. You drank Solaire.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Is it ever hinted at why the Sunlight covenant item is so far away from the statue of Gwyn in Lothric Castle? Specifically why it's in some cultist's kitchen?

Most likely because Oceiros went a bit dragon-crazy in his later days and unceremoniously dumped out anything that wasn't dragon-related, which someone else salvaged. My guess is that the Dragonslayer Armour was Oceiros' and was tossed out, too, which is why it's sitting before the Grand Archive.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Your Computer posted:

And that person...

...was Solaire. You drank Solaire.

GROSSly incandescent!!

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

homeless poster posted:

to me the stranger thing is why ludleth is just as important as the other four. he straight up tells you that he became a lord through will alone, which is actually drat impressive, but it never gets more exposition than that.

Not will alone; he says when you meet him that he linked the fire to become a Lord of Cinder.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So at 1000 hp Oceiros just sat on and murdered me. It took ten hits of my uchi to bleed him. :haw:

e: Also Hawkwood's not summonable, and like everywhere else the enemies don't de-aggro so there's just an orgy of greatsword knights on me who all instant drain stamina.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 2, 2016

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

homeless poster posted:

for me, that's a way more entertaining way to farm 30 medals than doing some pve encounter where the host jacks the boss health up to 8x normal and then dies halfway through, or else the game doesn't let anyone but the host through the fog wall, or any of the other dumb poo poo that happens that means you aren't getting anything for your efforts. different strokes for different folks, but I'd rather play a 7 man rainbow melee in the road of sacrifices for a sunlight medal than grind out another round again the twin princes or whatever boss is popular.

On the flipside, if sunbroing with the farron great sword on the deacons is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Filthy Hans posted:

You should learn some unparriable attacks. Running R2/forward+R2 is always unparriable, whips are unparriable, ultras are unparriable at least when 2-handed and maybe 1-handed too. It all depends on your stats but most chars can use a Zweihander, it's 19 Str 12 Dex and since you'll 2-hand it anyway you only need 14 Str. At 18 Str you can 2-hand a Large Club. Both these weapons weigh 10 units which isn't bad. If you have some casting ability some fireball spells can finish them off at low health. Spam throwing knives and kukris, throwing knives can be rapid at 2 or 3 thrown per second. Try lightning bottles too, just manually aim them because lock-on will miss.

Parry spammers are often low-skilled and won't be able to adapt to these options, they may take you out of your comfort zone but git gud with 1 or 2 and you'll have a fighting chance.

Having to use specific weapons just to counter parry spamming isn't an ideal solution. I already picked up a shotel in my offhand to throw their parry game off and its working for the most part, but its just annoying that sooooo many people are spamming parry now. I don't remember parrying ever being this prevalent, baring the period of time in DS2 where the monestary scimitar was hilariously broken.

Parries really only bug me in conjunction with the hornet ring though, cause it turns a powerful attack into an instant kill from full HP unless you have tons of vigor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Huh, so depending on what side of the platform you jump off to get to the Nameless King, that'll be the side your souls are on if (when) you die to him.

I figured this out because I die to him A LOT - which is frustrating because with my pyro he actually feels a hell of a lot easier to fight than he did with my melee guy (I'm starting to suspect the win I got against him via melee was a fluke), but I'm so much squishier now that one mistake basically ends the fight for me.... and I make a LOT of mistakes. :sweatdrop:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Deified Data posted:

I assumed it was Siegward's. You meet him for the first time nearby, and both times you meet him later there is Estus soup nearby. The last time he even admitted to making it. Plus, Siegward seems nice enough to be a sunbro, and also dumb enough to forget his sunbro pendant behind after having some dinner.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Having to use specific weapons just to counter parry spamming isn't an ideal solution. I already picked up a shotel in my offhand to throw their parry game off and its working for the most part, but its just annoying that sooooo many people are spamming parry now. I don't remember parrying ever being this prevalent, baring the period of time in DS2 where the monestary scimitar was hilariously broken.

Parries really only bug me in conjunction with the hornet ring though, cause it turns a powerful attack into an instant kill from full HP unless you have tons of vigor.

Wasn't prevalent in DS1 because there wasn't a particularly pressing need for parries, given poise functioned, and a wolf ring alone was usually enough to poise through the faster weapons - you could just trade with them using a higher damage weapon.

These days, however, the only viable counter to Estoc spam is to spam parry, and effectively "trade" with a higher damage reposte.

The problem HERE, however, is parries are effective against everything and stacking poise got expensive when trying to deal with 2hand greatswords, nevermind ultra greats. It was only a practical solution for some builds, and not terribly pressing for others.

So the meta has simply evolved the only direction it really could. If poise worked there would likely be fewer people parry spamming because it is less frustrating to just face tank a light hit on the chin and trade for bigger damage. I say this as someone with a parry build, and a bunch of 'tanks' that carry target shields, because gently caress dealing with straight swords. I'm just going to parry - and of course if anything bigger comes along, welp, they're much easier to parry. Give me some point and I'd probably drop the parry shields because I HATE missing that poo poo. Makes me feel like one of those obnoxious jerk wads that is pissing you off.
FROM screwed the pooch.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 2, 2016

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Hackan Slash posted:

On the flipside, if sunbroing with the farron great sword on the deacons is wrong, I don't want to be right.

I'm genuinely surprised by how many people don't understand that you need to focus on the glowing deacon. See also: Wolnir's bracelets.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
So I think for NG+++ I am gonna do an all NPC phantom run

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

go for heals and do an ONLY NPC phantom run

as in

you don't do any damage to enemies or bosses

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

go for heals and do an ONLY NPC phantom run

as in

you don't do any damage to enemies or bosses

Would literally be impossible with Deacons of Deep :smith:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if you last that long before going insane then I think you've earned calling that a run

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

strangemusic posted:

I'm genuinely surprised by how many people don't understand that you need to focus on the glowing deacon. See also: Wolnir's bracelets.

If I kill then all I'll eventually hit the glowing one.

No idea how people miss Wolnir. That's like Videogame Boss 101.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

if you last that long before going insane then I think you've earned calling that a run

I spent 15 minutes as a camo barrel the other day so I could sneak up behind a guy who kept ambushing me with his sunbro

Patience is not the issue

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Parries weren't prevalent in DS2 because efficient builds with whatever weapon of choice usually murdered someone in 4-6 swings. When you only get a maximum of three missed parries in most fights, it was restricted to heavily punishing someone for being predictable or being a last ditch effort to win a losing fight.

Thrusting swords were also balanced by not changing direction on repeated r1s so you could roll to their side and they'd have to pause spamming for half a second to actually reorient to hit you. I don't know why they took that mechanic out, it makes no difference in pve and it would make estocs in pvp a lot less frustrating.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm phantoming for the dancer; does her grab not actually do damage? It hasn't hurt me or anyone else she's picked up with it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm phantoming for the dancer; does her grab not actually do damage? It hasn't hurt me or anyone else she's picked up with it.

Unless it was bugged with the last patch, it should be doing huge damage. Usually it's a one-shot unless you're embered and at full HP.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Huh, so depending on what side of the platform you jump off to get to the Nameless King, that'll be the side your souls are on if (when) you die to him.

I figured this out because I die to him A LOT - which is frustrating because with my pyro he actually feels a hell of a lot easier to fight than he did with my melee guy (I'm starting to suspect the win I got against him via melee was a fluke), but I'm so much squishier now that one mistake basically ends the fight for me.... and I make a LOT of mistakes. :sweatdrop:

My Nameless king strategy (I died a million times to this guy, but as soon as I started using this strategy my runs went noticeably better): Armor is essentially pointless in this fight, so try to get low equipment load, preferably under 30%. This will make it extra easy to evade the vertical column of fire breath. Don't stand under the dragon too much to avoid the column altogether. Hit him when he after he does the lightning plunge attack, and especially when he does the non-airborne fire attack, you can easily hit him 3-4 times during this one.

For the Nameless King himself: have a weapon with short attacks and try to get him on his knees by being greedy. After dying about 40 times, the first fight where i realised you could visceral him was the fight where I killed him. I used a black sword +10.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Uh.... what?

Its an instant kill almost always

Are you avoiding the stab somehow?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Melanion posted:

Keep in mind that putting bless on shields fucks with their Stability, but since you are using it as a backpack that's not an issue.

EDIT: And I just remembered the freebie one is a tiny little small wood shield anyways :downs:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

I believe you can wriggle out of it, and there's no damage. Once she starts the stab animation though you're in for pain.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Uh.... what?

I've seen the same thing happen while co-oping against Dancer. She'll grab someone, and they take zero damage. It's happened to me and unless I was button mashing the right buttons unconsciously I didn't wriggle out, I just... didn't take damage.

Of course, that's also the fight where three times out of four the co-op phantoms can't even make it through the fog wall.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BTW, connected to nothing, but can we take a moment to appreciate how great Woljnir's death animation is

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
I'm doing my second run and making sure I don't miss any NPC phantoms this time. I'm ready to fight Crystal Sage so before that I traveled to the Halfway Fortress fire and embered up. In the time it took me to run down to where Yellowfinger Heysel spawns, I was invaded by someone with that giant lightning greataxe and infinite health/stamina. I suppose I should be grateful he didn't do anything to get me banned. Back to no embers until the next phantom! :shepicide:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Harrow posted:

No other bonfires, but there are a couple shortcuts back to that first one. If you were near rats, you were pretty close to one. :negative:

That happened to me, too, except it was a mimic. I felt extra awful because come the gently caress on, this is Dark Souls 3, why am I opening chests without looking closely at them EVER?

...Just slogged all the way back from the bonfire, killed the loving rats, used a charm on the mimic thanks to your post, then 50 goddamn curse frogs fell on my head when I took the item and I hit the mimic when I panicked and died from being cursed while the mimic ate me :suicide:

So far the actual combat in this game has been way easier than the other souls games, but gently caress if it doesn't have 10x more utter stupid bullshit

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Pickaxe in PVP is fun and I've never seen anyone else using one and a lot of time people seem to react like it's a joke weapon. I'm sure it's never optimal but it's not that bad.

It's classified as a great hammer. You get great hammer hyperarmor, which is good because the whole point is to get Leo ring counters. It swings slower than a large/great club, has worse range, and does less damage -- I usually get around 310 on a Leo hit with an r1, more like 350 on an r1 with a great club (both +10 heavy with 40 strength). But I did hit a dragon guy with a fully charged r2 Leo hit for 1094, which killed him so it probably did more. I usually get a hair over 700 with a fully charged great club r2, but I've never hit a dragon with one. Figuring most people probably have about 25% absorption that probably means a 950 or so hit with a great club. It's a lot easier to hit people with the great club though.

Despite being a great hammer as far as I can tell all of its attacks (aside from jumping I hope) are parryable and I've learned each one in the most embarrassing way possible. MAYBE not the 2h r2, I died on the riposte so I couldn't check but I think I was 2-handing. But the 2h rolling attack is the ground pound like the ds1 greathammers/ds2 drake keeper great axe/ds3 great axe and comes out very fast so it should be hard to parry anyway. That's good because it's more or less the only way to hit somebody who can out range you enough that you can't hyperarmor through for a counter hit.

I don't know that it's useful at all but in pve at least it seems to cause a heavier stagger than the great club, etc.

It is a fun weapon and not that bad and you should try one today.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MrTheDevious posted:

So far the actual combat in this game has been way easier than the other souls games, but gently caress if it doesn't have 10x more utter stupid bullshit

I don't think its easier as much as we just have it ingrained in us now

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Uh.... what?

No, the sword's going through us and exploding and doing nothing, happened across several hosts. That's weird.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So maybe I'm just not getting it from this being my first DS game, but when I beat the game, I still have no idea what I did or why. I relit the flame (and just watched the other endings on YouTube). Is the implication that the end boss was a previous guy who linked the flame (Still don't know what that means) and eventually that'll be me when the flame needs to be rekindled by someone else?

I just don't get at all what was happening.

In any case, I'm really glad I played this game. Finished at level 110, did all the fun side-bosses too.

Now playing as a sorcerer and it's surprisingly fun. Question though - what should I focus on? I've been dumping points into attenuement and intelligence, a few into STR to make my melee hit for something...

Any suggestions on whether this is good/bad? I was thinking of dumping into DEX some so that for DEX weapons I get a boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Basilisk ambush is stupid. If noise volume was actually affected by walls in any way, you could at least guess that there were Basilisks hiding in a little hole up there, but all passing by that area does is tell you that Basilisks are in the level, somewhere. Moreover, the fact that they choose to pop out of the hole when you open a specific chest is equally stupid. What, were they loving waiting up there? Was there a hidden switch I flipped when I opened the chest that set off a klaxon in their hole?

RBA Starblade posted:

No, the sword's going through us and exploding and doing nothing, happened across several hosts. That's weird.

The netcode has some issues with riposte attacks, occasionally. I had a PVP experience earlier where, despite fighting a dude who wasn't hacking in the slightest and who had otherwise perfectly normal latency, my riposte did 0 damage.