Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

so like is this manga worth reading

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i was told one of them was horrible but it may have been the one with the bandage girl?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's not bad, just not as good as FS imo.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Forbidden Scrollery is extremely cool and good whereas Wild and Horned Hermit is just pretty okay

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Only one of them has Reimu offing dudes left and right. WaHH is good when something actually happens, too bad it's a Touhou comic.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

WaHH has my favorite character, the high tension japanese goblin, appear a lot so I like it.

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

I personally like both a lot, but yeah Forbidden Scrollery is the better of the two.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Kasen owns so WaHH owns but nothing really happens because ~plot progression~.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Komachi makes regular appearances in WaHH so it's pretty good imo.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It's not like a lot's happening in Forbidden Scrollery, either. It's just that you can't do a whole lot with the mystery of whether the character with roughly a million oni markers is actually an oni all along so it just kinda feels like it's spinning its wheels. Meanwhile Forbidden Scrollery does a pretty good job of having this growing sense of unease between chapters, both between humans and youkai and between different youkai factions, so you get this nice sense of tension, like a powder keg whose fuse is slowly sizzling down just waiting to go boom. Considering ZUN said he's planning to take FS (and the other manga?) in a different direction and he's kinda scared of the kinda reception it'll get, this might be pretty soon, too.

I also feel that FS' two chapter story structure also works a lot better with how ZUN usually writes stories in both these manga. Setting up mystery and conflict in the first chapter, then resolving them in the second gives each individual story some nice room to breathe in FS, whereas confining each individual story to a single chapter in WaHH makes them feel a bit more rushed and flatter than they could be.

Also Moe Harukawa is a pretty great artist whereas the WaHH developed from amateur to competent over time.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

the three fairies are actually my favorite characters so

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

One chapter stories actually work much better in the Three Fairies manga because "three fairies try to own someone, get owned instead" is some pretty simple plot structure that actually benefits from a faster pace.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i want the three fairies to own me

i enjoy the feeling of being owned

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
There isn't a Touhou comic that meanders with no direction moreso than the 3 fairies comics. If that isn't a big issue, the meandering of WaHH shouldn't be either. It'll just come down to whether you like the stories or characters enough to keep you interested.

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

i want the three fairies to own me

i enjoy the feeling of being owned

:same:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The only official Touhou manga that I think is pretty weak is Silent Sinner in Blue, and it isn't the worst thing in the world. ZUN's writing just doesn't lend itself to fights well (neither does Aki Eda's art, really,) and the convoluted required reading of Cage in Lunatic Runagate makes it really weirdly paced and off-kilter. Wild and Horned Hermit is leagues ahead of it, and Forbidden Scrollery owns a whole lot. Turns out ZUN's pretty okay at writing suspense and intrigue.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I didn't enjoy the three fairies manga when it was EaLND. Hirasaka Makoto's art really completes the whole package, and Matsukara's art wasn't great. Also it doesn't help that the translation of it is kinda stiff and a bit awkward to read.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

a cartoon duck posted:

It's not like a lot's happening in Forbidden Scrollery, either. It's just that you can't do a whole lot with the mystery of whether the character with roughly a million oni markers is actually an oni all along so it just kinda feels like it's spinning its wheels. Meanwhile Forbidden Scrollery does a pretty good job of having this growing sense of unease between chapters, both between humans and youkai and between different youkai factions, so you get this nice sense of tension, like a powder keg whose fuse is slowly sizzling down just waiting to go boom. Considering ZUN said he's planning to take FS (and the other manga?) in a different direction and he's kinda scared of the kinda reception it'll get, this might be pretty soon, too.

I also feel that FS' two chapter story structure also works a lot better with how ZUN usually writes stories in both these manga. Setting up mystery and conflict in the first chapter, then resolving them in the second gives each individual story some nice room to breathe in FS, whereas confining each individual story to a single chapter in WaHH makes them feel a bit more rushed and flatter than they could be.

Also Moe Harukawa is a pretty great artist whereas the WaHH developed from amateur to competent over time.

That's the thing, though; that hasn't been the "mystery' since I dunno chapter 12. It hasn't been said, but it ties in more of What is Kasen's deal? Which is the actual mystery.

Lady breaks the barrier, is elbow deep in "doing her own thing" and her cohorts are all "geez what is she doing" while being chill enough to not blow their wife/friend's cover. She isn't a hermit, has no idea anything about a hermit and yet gets by on bullshitting through everything while working her own agenda. Kasen owns.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i want the three fairies to get another game

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

i want the three fairies Clownpiece to get another game

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I can't wait for the Three Faries to show up in the PS4 port of Urban Legend standing on each others shoulders as a single character. Clownpiece can form the head.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

bad apple

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

a cartoon duck posted:

A) As has been pointed out, whether or not Kasen is an oni isn't the mystery and hasn't been for a while. It's more "what's up with her arm, and what are her motives?" Honestly, at this point I'd expect either no explicit reveal ever, or it to be casually revealed as a joke. It's simply not important to the plot, such as it is.

B) The "different direction" ZUN was nervous about was the latest translated chapter. While reading it myself, the impression I got was that he was nervous because the chapter is incredibly critical of social media and twitter, which presumably might piss off people who use those things. I mean, he often uses weird fantasy analogies for joke purposes, but this one felt particularly harsh. To me, anyway.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

but zun tweets all the time

wait, doesn't zun also hate video game strategy guides or something?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

A) As has been pointed out, whether or not Kasen is an oni isn't the mystery and hasn't been for a while. It's more "what's up with her arm, and what are her motives?" Honestly, at this point I'd expect either no explicit reveal ever, or it to be casually revealed as a joke. It's simply not important to the plot, such as it is.

B) The "different direction" ZUN was nervous about was the latest translated chapter. While reading it myself, the impression I got was that he was nervous because the chapter is incredibly critical of social media and twitter, which presumably might piss off people who use those things. I mean, he often uses weird fantasy analogies for joke purposes, but this one felt particularly harsh. To me, anyway.

It didn't feel that harsh imo. Twitter is used to discredit the newspapers as revenge for insulting Tanukis and then the news is used to discredit Twitter for loving with them. And then Reimu gets in trouble for being lazy and not doing anything about it despite having the opportunity to do so.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It didn't feel that harsh imo. Twitter is used to discredit the newspapers as revenge for insulting Tanukis and then the news is used to discredit Twitter for loving with them. And then Reimu gets in trouble for being lazy and not doing anything about it despite having the opportunity to do so.

Yeah, but while the newspapers suffered a minor humiliation, the very existence of twitter is treated as some dystopian existence that ruins everyone's lives. I'd say it ends up reading as extremely pro-newspaper.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

voltcatfish posted:

wait, doesn't zun also hate video game strategy guides or something?

No, I just don't think he felt it was really necessary for Touhou so he approached the whole "show off spell cards across the series" from a different angle and make it readable outside of the context of trying to beat a game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Yeah, but while the newspapers suffered a minor humiliation, the very existence of twitter is treated as some dystopian existence that ruins everyone's lives. I'd say it ends up reading as extremely pro-newspaper.

Twitter was also created for the sole purpose of messing with a lovely reporter, so I don't think the chapter is all that critical of it as a whole.

Like, there's definitely an analogy there but I don't see it as being all that harsh an indictment of Twitter all-in-all. Like maybe a comment on using Twitter just to poo poo on something but it didn't seem to criticise all of social media.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You can't drunkpost on newspapers

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Clarste posted:

I looked up the trailer for that and it doesn't even have any voices. Did they cut you out of it? Or is there another trailer I was too lazy to look up?

Also, I feel like somewhere along the line someone missed a memo that "casual, easy to pick up and play" does not mix well with "appeals to extremely niche anime fetishes".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgpelBUk7iE

I apologise for the quality of the editing, it sounded a lot cleaner when I sent it off.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I don't even own a ps4 and I'm going to buy all this poo poo what the gently caress

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

is the game even good

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

I don't even own a ps4 and I'm going to buy all this poo poo what the gently caress

Same

If I could afford it that is.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

El Burbo posted:

is the game even good

No.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
That Danmaku!! card game looks like a cool + good version of Bang! and I'm kinda bummed I can't find a TTS version that actually works well! The one that I could find only has the basic card types working, and trying to find the files for the character and incident cards and whatever isn't working out.

I'll probably buy it at some point, but the group I'd play it with IRL is a little thin at the moment from players being busy.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

El Burbo posted:

is the game even good

it's ok enough, if you played Senko no Ronde/Wartech on the 360 it's that but with a lower budget, or Acceleration of Suguri but Touhou themed.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

it's ok enough, if you played Senko no Ronde/Wartech on the 360 it's that but with a lower budget, or Acceleration of Suguri but Touhou themed.

Does the soundtrack match up to SnR's, though

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Mighty Dicktron posted:

That Danmaku!! card game looks like a cool + good version of Bang! and I'm kinda bummed I can't find a TTS version that actually works well! The one that I could find only has the basic card types working, and trying to find the files for the character and incident cards and whatever isn't working out.

We've managed to solve that issue in the IRC channel. Feel free to join #Touhou on irc.synirc.net, we've got a decently sized group of players there.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

oh mah gaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Reisen is getting her own game?