Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
didn't know the pet shop boys did a joy division tribute album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tshirt pls

Sham bam bamina! posted:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sham bam bamina! posted:

⭐️

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

what was the world like in 1899

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

wow turd levels really spiked when yospos was opened.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
i'm the Rectangular Snip

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

no ring?

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

u hosed up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

aahhhhhhhh

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

A crooked, lovely graph? Is this some kind of metamoderation?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
how do you even do that, what program has that function and why is it there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

can i hire you to do the graphs for my next project

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

This triggers the poo poo outta me. How the gently caress is that even possible?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Suits my needs. Very informative. 10/10

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

lollll

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

lol you just drew this in paint right? there's no way you got software to do that

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

lol. yes.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Satellit3 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 5, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i would love for that to be a graph turning a wavy line into "perfect linear correlation!" by applying a transformation matrix to the chart space

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
ding ding ding

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

i would love for that to be a graph turning a wavy line into "perfect linear correlation!" by applying a transformation matrix to the chart space

omg

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sagebrush posted:

ohhhhhh so that's where fnc gets them

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

the complete lack of any signal here could seriously be a nature paper if it holds up

we shall see

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pca that poo poo

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
why on earth would i do that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

data science. u take some data and then u pca that poo poo and then write your conclusions

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lol

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's from a GPU accelerated graphing library. the height dimension is zoomed-in so much that rounding errors due to limits of 32bit floating point precision become visible, making all y-coordinates wobbly. it's got a bug that prevents the tick labels from rendering properly so the scale of the graph gets obscured

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
:eyepop:

that's an entirely different kind of funny from what i thought it was

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Max Facetime posted:

it's from a GPU accelerated graphing library. the height dimension is zoomed-in so much that rounding errors due to limits of 32bit floating point precision become visible, making all y-coordinates wobbly. it's got a bug that prevents the tick labels from rendering properly so the scale of the graph gets obscured

serious fuckin lol over here

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Max Facetime posted:

lol

graph my rear end into my rear end

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Max Facetime posted:

please make a zooming animation, showing it get more & more hosed up

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
glad this thread is still around!

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Stereotype posted:

glad this thread is still around!

shower with your dad simulator hd remaster making good progress i see

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
posting a trip report on a graph I didn't make:

I saw someone at a conference present a graph/web of links spreading throughout twitter to map news controversies. Anyway it looked an interesting idea but their work was p. lovely almost the whole thing had done the whole thing in excel. Since I was board this evening I thought I'd have a go at making something similar in python but after poking around for an hour or so in the API it looks like you can't actually access a comprehensive twitter search anywhere. Meaning either their were doing something super sophisticated that I don't understand or they were potentially missing loads of data and their research is total bullshit or at best highly biased by an unknown twitter algorithm :argh:

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

vodkat posted:

posting a trip report on a graph I didn't make:

I saw someone at a conference present a graph/web of links spreading throughout twitter to map news controversies. Anyway it looked an interesting idea but their work was p. lovely almost the whole thing had done the whole thing in excel. Since I was board this evening I thought I'd have a go at making something similar in python but after poking around for an hour or so in the API it looks like you can't actually access a comprehensive twitter search anywhere. Meaning either their were doing something super sophisticated that I don't understand or they were potentially missing loads of data and their research is total bullshit or at best highly biased by an unknown twitter algorithm :argh:

I tried to talk to a "grad student" who was doing research on poo poo scraped from twitter and they were so obnoxious they couldn't answer the simplest questions about their methods from their high horse

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
if someone can't explain their methods to you it means they are making up their data.

We had a post-doc who we constantly reference to new students because before he got fired his explanation for his wonky results that turned out to be wrong was "that is just what ROOT spit out" like it wasn't his fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
fun anecdote about that

when i was in grad school (ca. 2009) one of the students was studying twitter and had determined that for whatever reason, her research required that she have a local copy of every tweet since the beginning of twitter (including author, date/time, geolocation, basically every field that they made available in their API). granted twitter was only like 3 years old, but that was still an unbelievable amount of data to pull. when she started the scrape, it tied up our lab's connection for like two weeks straight as she dumped everything onto a 20TB RAID (in 2009, mind). she redid the scrape every night.

shortly after she started doing this, twitter announced the rate limitation on their API, and she had a near hysterical breakdown that it was going to ruin all of her research. i like to imagine that she was directly responsible for that change

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 6, 2016

• Locked thread