Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
For me, it's the Low Density Structure. It is really hard to make enough steel to get that up to speed!
(Disclaimer: This is in regards to trying to launch 1 rocket/minute)

I just naturally make a shitload of red chips, I've got chip/module mass production down pat at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
yeah, the rocket parts are all good design. The Rocket Control Unit is "can you build enough modules and circuits", the Low Density Structure is "do you have enough furnaces", and Rocket Fuel is "do you know how to Oil?" Each one of those is a bitch to build, and for certain players one can be a challenge while the other two are easy. For me it's definitely the RCU, I haven't yet figured out how to make efficient module/circuit factories, but I definitely know how to manage Oil.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ratzap posted:

They still breed and spread though. The big question he leaves open is whether he changed any of the RSO config settings or what map settings he used. If he fiddled with the map creation settings for biters, RSO picks that up and uses it.

I took a long train ride in each direction and plonked down radars and still no biters so I investigated the settings and they were turned off :argh: Was because I'd downloaded a mod pack to save time. On the bright side this and figuring out robots gives me a good excuse to start again :D

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
You could console in alien artifacts if you want.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I hate that every time I'm playing the game, I want to start over.

Or maybe I love it.

I should probably post from home and add screenshots, but to hell with it. So far, I've been playing easy mode (sandbox/rich resources/no biters). My first few attempts were a terrible mess. Tried one with a circular belt with lots of stuff and found out that that was a terrible idea. Welp.

Next, I spent a week on another attempt with a main bus, but decided that my throughput of basic ingredients (iron plate, etc) was just too low. Spent the weekend on a similar concept using a simple train, but I'm running into similar issues. Although robots/logistics have made things easier, the throughput is terrible and, combined with the really high energy consumption, I want to make a network that may not be space efficient (which is bad for robots) but highly organized (good for belts). Then, when robots become available, I'd like to use them mostly for providing the components needed to keep construction robots supplied (where flexibility is more important than throughput, the biggest advantage of robots).

So tonight, I will probably start again. I'll take a starting chest this time because honestly, if I'm going to easy-mode it, I might as well easy-mode it. Not all-tech, though, because that takes away a lot of the game.

Onward!

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Whenever I want to start over I kill a whole bunch of biters, wall off + turret a giant area, and build a new factory there (with all the material provided by previous base). Makes it a lot quicker, but it does leave out some of the tricky tech progression that's kind of fun.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I tend to tech up to piercing ammo, get a stack or two and go clear out a big circle around my factory while they're still weak. You can also delay a bit for a tank with same, but biters knock at my door pretty fast unless I increase the starting zone.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Gravy Jones posted:

Even construction bots were a massive game changer. I'm still getting my head around logistics.

Construction bots are amazing. Logistics bots are a trap that destroys factories. You will always get more and better throughput out of a belt based system than a logistics bot based system.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Kenlon posted:

Construction bots are amazing. Logistics bots are a trap that destroys factories. You will always get more and better throughput out of a belt based system than a logistics bot based system.

Absolutely but having them as personal butlers is so drat nice.

Gravy Jones posted:

I took a long train ride in each direction and plonked down radars and still no biters so I investigated the settings and they were turned off :argh: Was because I'd downloaded a mod pack to save time. On the bright side this and figuring out robots gives me a good excuse to start again :D

Heh, good job there pal. Still, at least you figured it out. In your place I'd probably restart too but I seem to have a thing for starting games to try out various mods.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Kenlon posted:

I've only just gotten into blue belts but I'll grant you the second point.

On the former, though, I beg to differ!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I taught my coworker who just started about belt lane stuff and splitters and he taught me the q key and the ability to lock down slots in your toolbelt and that is so awesome.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Logistic bots are best when you want to move smallish quantities of things around short distances. The vast majority of the time in this game though, you don't want to stay at smallish quantities. Ammunition and buildings are about all I use them for. Of course I had set up a factory to automatically produce the darn things and left it alone for a while so I now have approximately ten loving thousand of 'em.

I really need to tear up my smelting lines. My copper line is too big already and has room to expand more but I'm not able to chew through its output fast enough. Meanwhile my iron line isn't big enough, but is squashed up in such a way that I don't have much more room to expand and add more steel, and I never have enough steel.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Logistics bots are loving convenient. I'm never going to be making more than 10 electrical engines at once (and even that seems excessive but gently caress it, i've usually got the mats to spare) and i'm sure as hell not belting that through my factory. The same with anything that comes in via train.

What i'm really saying is that logistics bots are convenient when i don't plan properly.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I thought I could take on that big alien nest, and in fairness I was tearing poo poo up, the problem was I wasn't paying attention to just how loving fast an SMG chews through my piercing rounds. Ended up in the middle of a rapidly respawning horde with just my shotgun. So :rip:.

This game is loving incredible.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Mr. Powers posted:

I taught my coworker who just started about belt lane stuff and splitters and he taught me the q key and the ability to lock down slots in your toolbelt and that is so awesome.

Toolbelt what?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

LLSix posted:

Toolbelt what?

Middle mouseclick on any slot in your toolbelt and you can choose a filter for that spot. It's convenient because only that thing can go into that slot, but inconvenient because that specific item doesn't snap to that specific spot when you return it to your belt after using it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Middle-clicking on an already-filled slot sets the filter to that item, too. You clear filters using... some combination and middle mouseclick, I think?

Also you get the sassiest error message if you try to set a filter in your main inventory.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Overwined posted:

Middle mouseclick on any slot in your toolbelt and you can choose a filter for that spot. It's convenient because only that thing can go into that slot, but inconvenient because that specific item doesn't snap to that specific spot when you return it to your belt after using it.

Hit q

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
q

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
If I add a new mod (rail tanker) I won't be able to use it in an existing save, will I?
e: or wait maybe I will? yeah, seems like it works.

Also, do y'all produce plastics centrally and bus it or produce locally?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 4, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Most mods can be added to (and removed from) existing saves with no problem. The only exceptions that I know of are mods that add new resources, since you have to generate new map chunks or a whole new world for the new resources to appear. Removing a mod will just force the game to delete any entities associated with the mod, which might break your factory but won't destroy your save.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TheFluff posted:

If I add a new mod (rail tanker) I won't be able to use it in an existing save, will I?

Also, do y'all produce plastics centrally and bus it or produce locally?
I generally make it in the relative outskirts because that's as far as coal tends to make it :effort:. But belting coal closer to where you need plastic requires less belt throughput-length because 1 coal expands into 2 plastic so depending how you feel about piping gas, making plastic closer to the user is more future proof.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Oh god I ripped up my smelting line and replaced it with electric furnaces since I was running low on coal. But now I'm in an awful death spiral of power outages every night and I can't poo poo out more accumulators and solar panels fast enough.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Coal is pretty cool even in the end game... its cheap power for furnaces

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

Oh god I ripped up my smelting line and replaced it with electric furnaces since I was running low on coal. But now I'm in an awful death spiral of power outages every night and I can't poo poo out more accumulators and solar panels fast enough.

Assuming no solar and not using efficiency modules, electric furnaces burn twice as much fuel as steel furnaces.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

TheFluff posted:

Even mods that add new resources can generally be added just fine, you'll just only find the new resources if you go far enough from the part of the map you're playing on to generate new chunks (which you can move closer with the test-mode mod if you want, or just make new patches with it wherever). I think RSO has commands to regenerate the map in some capacity?

The only issue you're likely to run into adding mods that add new stuff you can make is that some of them add products which are unlocked by research you may have already completed, in which case there are console commands to either unlearn a specific research or reset research entirely.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Solumin posted:

Middle-clicking on an already-filled slot sets the filter to that item, too. You clear filters using... some combination and middle mouseclick, I think?

Also you get the sassiest error message if you try to set a filter in your main inventory.

Thank you much!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Loren1350 posted:

Assuming no solar and not using efficiency modules, electric furnaces burn twice as much fuel as steel furnaces.

I'm using a ton of solar and I'm shoving efficiency modules into the furnaces as quickly as I can build them. It's mostly poor planning on my part.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

I'm really pleased how this turned out

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Baloogan posted:

I'm really pleased how this turned out

What am I looking at here?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Looks like a high-throughput unloading station with Bob's mods, judging by the materials on the belts.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

What am I looking at here?

a ro-ro

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Serial stations are technically an abomination, but it looks really pleasant.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

All I can think about while I lie here in this hospital bed is how much Factorio I'm missing out on.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Did... did you OD on Factorio?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

All I can think about while I lie here in this hospital bed is how much Factorio I'm missing out on.

drat, man. Get your family to get you a laptop or something, stat!

Also, get well soon.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ego Trip posted:

This makes perfect sense, really

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So I bought Factorio yesterday and I go on vacation tomorrow. Its already negatively impacted my packing and errands before I leave. I can sleep on the plane right?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ego Trip posted:

I have done that in the past.

M_Gargantua posted:

So I bought Factorio yesterday and I go on vacation tomorrow. Its already negatively impacted my packing and errands before I leave. I can sleep on the plane right?

It may impact your ability to leave your computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

M_Gargantua posted:

Bring a laptop and play on the plane. You can sleep when you're launching 1 rocket/minute.