Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

JetsGuy posted:

So maybe I'm just not getting it from this being my first DS game, but when I beat the game, I still have no idea what I did or why.

The Dark Souls experience

EDIT: Take about two hours of this and call me in the morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?VaatiVidya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Alabaster White posted:

Pro-tip: use this backup tool until some anti-cheat has been patched in. Bamco officially endorses the use of save backup tools.

Does performing a local file backup in Steam also backup the saves? I don't really feel like using any additional third party tools if at all possible. Obviously this isn't automatic, but that doesn't bother me too much.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Pickaxe in PVP is fun and I've never seen anyone else using one and a lot of time people seem to react like it's a joke weapon. I'm sure it's never optimal but it's not that bad.
It is a fun weapon and not that bad and you should try one today.

While it's nowhere near as cool, have you had any luck with the War Pick, or is the lack of hyper armor not enough to make up for it even if you've tried because it's only Normal Hammer style for both PvP and PvE?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Farming the warden twinblades sucks. Especially since I have to do it in the Cathedral.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

RBA Starblade posted:

Farming the warden twinblades sucks. Especially since I have to do it in the Cathedral.

I got them the very first run. I thought that last Warden always drops them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

I got them on the first one I fought with them :downs: But I've yet to get any of their Shotels I want because they look cool to drop :argh:

Such is the way of souls drops.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

If you have the Grave Warden gloves from your farming I'll trade you my twin blades (PC)

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Section Z posted:

While it's nowhere near as cool, have you had any luck with the War Pick, or is the lack of hyper armor not enough to make up for it even if you've tried because it's only Normal Hammer style for both PvP and PvE?

I have not found it. My guess is without hyperarmor it'd just be like using a mace or something though which is not that good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

net cafe scandal posted:

If you have the Grave Warden gloves from your farming I'll trade you my twin blades (PC)

I got the wraps! I can hop on now if you can. LAZERTAG password at Cleansing Chapel bonfire?

e: Actually can't summon there, how about Lothric Castle?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Huh, so depending on what side of the platform you jump off to get to the Nameless King, that'll be the side your souls are on if (when) you die to him.

I figured this out because I die to him A LOT - which is frustrating because with my pyro he actually feels a hell of a lot easier to fight than he did with my melee guy (I'm starting to suspect the win I got against him via melee was a fluke), but I'm so much squishier now that one mistake basically ends the fight for me.... and I make a LOT of mistakes. :sweatdrop:
I believe the souls are there because the clouds don't count as land, so your bloodstain goes back to the last bit of eligible land you were on.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Internet Kraken posted:

Having to use specific weapons just to counter parry spamming isn't an ideal solution. I already picked up a shotel in my offhand to throw their parry game off and its working for the most part, but its just annoying that sooooo many people are spamming parry now. I don't remember parrying ever being this prevalent, baring the period of time in DS2 where the monestary scimitar was hilariously broken.

Parries really only bug me in conjunction with the hornet ring though, cause it turns a powerful attack into an instant kill from full HP unless you have tons of vigor.

I haven't tested but I heard that curved / great curved sword L2s are unparryable, I keep forgetting about this when it would be useful of course :downs:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I have not found it. My guess is without hyperarmor it'd just be like using a mace or something though which is not that good.

You just straight up buy it from Greirat after his first outing. Though it's basically just "Lower damage 'hammer' with Pierce", and still has the same way too short, way too weak Stamina buff weapon art as the Pickaxe.

So I guess I answered my own question? I wonder if it at least still puts a good dent in shield stamina like a mace is supposed to according to their description? I've managed to make a guy with the pursuer shield+vordt hammer black crystal out using +0 Morningstar before, at least.

Puts down red sign. Runs away to crystal out when the guy wearing Deserter armor learns to avoid it's massive hitbox but still hasn't quite killed them after 6 minutes.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Quick question: what and where is the boss in Irithyll? Because I didn't find anything vaguely boss shaped either there or the dungeons.
Also, where's Siegward, now that I've given him his armor back? I don't want to go kick Yhorm's arse without him.

edit: While writing this, I read somewhere that Siegward's quest breaks if you go to the dungeons before meeting him in Irithyll proper... please tell me that's not the case.

edit 2: FashionSouls

Fallen Knight Helm, FireKeeper Robes/Gloves, Black Knight Pants

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 2, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

BillmasterCozb posted:

I'm still trying to find it in my heart to forgive them for the Iron Passage.

I found Iron Passage entertaining the first time and easy to run through the subsequent few times it took me to remember how to fight Smelter Demon 2, blue flavor boogaloo. The frozen outskirts, however, were... well, not unforgivable. I'm willing to forgive them now. Please come back and fix the PC netcode!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

Quick question: what and where is the boss in Irithyll? Because I didn't find anything vaguely boss shaped either there or the dungeons.

Go back to the Manor bonfire and backtrack to the watery area you went through. Look to your right, along the wall. See that open sewer entrance?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Blaziken386 posted:

Also, where's Siegward, now that I've given him his armor back? I don't want to go kick Yhorm's arse without him.

edit: While writing this, I read somewhere that Siegward's quest breaks if you go to the dungeons before meeting him in Irithyll proper... please tell me that's not the case.

Pontiff Sulyvahn is the boss.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Vermain posted:

Go back to the Manor bonfire and backtrack to the watery area you went through. Look to your right, along the wall. See that open sewer entrance?
Ah.
Dammit, I was hoping to avoid those creepy bug thingies.
Why must all Fromsoft games have creepy bug things.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I got the wraps! I can hop on now if you can. LAZERTAG password at Cleansing Chapel bonfire?

e: Actually can't summon there, how about Lothric Castle?

I can hop on real quick. First Lothric Castle bonfire? My guys name is Sun Watcher

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

net cafe scandal posted:

I can hop on real quick. First Lothric Castle bonfire? My guys name is Sun Watcher

Yep, I'm Scrublady Io.

Used to have Scrublord but decided to make a female character. :haw:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Anyone want to hop on the PC version in a bit and help me mule over the pickaxe to my SL20 guy? I want more labor tools for Farmlord Wheato

I don't plan on using the leo ring or beefing it up super high, I just want some weapon variety. Despite that webm of low level pvp I made earlier I still want to try and get enough footage for a video.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Yep, I'm Scrublady Io.

Used to have Scrublord but decided to make a female character. :haw:

Alright, sign is down

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

net cafe scandal posted:

Alright, sign is down

Thanks!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Pleasure doing business with you.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I haven't tested but I heard that curved / great curved sword L2s are unparryable, I keep forgetting about this when it would be useful of course :downs:

If you mean the weapon art then it absolutely is parryable for curved greatswords, I've gotten parried using it. AFAIK for CGS the 2h R2 is the only unparryable attack. I'm pretty sure curved swords are completely parryable but the timing on the rolling r1 and the weapon art is funky and people generally miss it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm also looking for stuff like the blacksmith hammer and the soldering iron, just gimmicky non-weapons in general.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Section Z posted:

You just straight up buy it from Greirat after his first outing. Though it's basically just "Lower damage 'hammer' with Pierce", and still has the same way too short, way too weak Stamina buff weapon art as the Pickaxe.

Trading Loretta's bone to the crow was like the third thing I did in Firelink and I didn't find Greirat until after I beat the game and looked up why I couldn't buy crossbow bolts.

I have no idea where you meet the pyro trainer but maybe I did and he sits somewhere in Firelink that I never visit :downs:

e: blacksmith hammer is one of the better mace class weapons but they're not very good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm also looking for stuff like the blacksmith hammer and the soldering iron, just gimmicky non-weapons in general.

I'd be happy to give you my Blacksmith Hammer and Soldering Iron, I have no intention of using either and I'm probably going to NG+ this character eventually.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sick, I'll be home in a bit and I'll hop on

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

e: blacksmith hammer is one of the better mace class weapons but they're not very good.

if you're talking to me, I have a low level gimmick character I made called The Peasant King who invades in undead settlement, wears the worker clothes, and tries to stop your inevitably NG+ overpowered rear end with nothing but farm tools and gumption

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Parry fishing in PvP is pretty awful with the hornet ring. You can spend 5 minutes pounding on some guy while he missed dozens of parries, then he finally lands one through sheer luck and takes you from 100 to zero :geno:

Tears of denial solves everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcO0lJrc_Cs

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Obligatum VII posted:

Does performing a local file backup in Steam also backup the saves? I don't really feel like using any additional third party tools if at all possible. Obviously this isn't automatic, but that doesn't bother me too much.

Nope. That only backs up the game data, so you don't necessarily need to redownload the entire game on another device/drive.

You can do backups manually, by copying the hashed (random number/character) folder located in

C:\users\_WindowsUser_\Appdata\Roaming\DarkSoulsIII\

The reason you probably want to use a backup tool however, is you want to be making very frequent backups, given A) how frequently the game saves, and B) the "anti-cheat" system being used seems to like to detect inconsistencies in the save data, and if you roll back a couple of hours you may get an 'invalid game data' warning, where a minute or two doesn't seem to have any particular affect.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Part of the reason I abandoned my last character was frustration over getting the Warden Twinblades to drop. So, naturally, the very first warden I fought on this character dropped them. Because Dark Souls.

The RNG knows.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BTW, connected to nothing, but can we take a moment to appreciate how great Woljnir's death animation is

It is pretty loving great, agreed. Also love his big goofy smile outta nowhere when you first see him :allears:

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

You have invaded the world of 'Ur Waifu is poo poo'

No....no!

:negative:

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008
Winning a duel using only items and a shield. Kinda proud of the editing of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxz2CZk494U&t=50s

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

So maybe I'm just not getting it from this being my first DS game, but when I beat the game, I still have no idea what I did or why. I relit the flame (and just watched the other endings on YouTube). Is the implication that the end boss was a previous guy who linked the flame (Still don't know what that means) and eventually that'll be me when the flame needs to be rekindled by someone else?

I just don't get at all what was happening.

Playing this one first isn't a good idea, in my opinion. It's a nostalgic sequel to DS1 and relies on personal experience with it for context. For example, the different moves the Soul of Cinder was using were popular player builds in DS1. You were fighting a manifestation of all the previous players who linked the fire in their playthroughs. Without familiarity with DS1, there are major moments in the game you probably didn't realize the significance of.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Wanna try me a true two handed sword build now that I found the beautiful mother of rebirth.

I got Astora's Greatsword and want to use it.

I *think* I want to make it DEX/FTH and refine it, but I hear it gets S scaling with Faith and B with DEX.

Please help me to make an Astora build.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Toady posted:

Playing this one first isn't a good idea, in my opinion. It's a nostalgic sequel to DS1 and relies on personal experience with it for context. For example, the different moves the Soul of Cinder was using were popular player builds in DS1. You were fighting a manifestation of all the previous players who linked the fire in their playthroughs. Without familiarity with DS1, there are major moments in the game you probably didn't realize the significance of.

Counterpoint, most people probably have no clue what's going on in any of the souls/borne games. "I have no idea what I did or why" was pretty much my reaction on finishing my first Dark Souls 1 playthrough. Playing through and just having fun with dress-up and stabbing zombies is not only viable, but probably normal for the majority of players. But for anyone who really wants to dig into the lore and plot there are literally days worth of youtube videos to watch that would love to tell you about it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What's a good level range to be at to get summoned for Aldrich covenant? It hasn't happened for me yet.

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008

BobTheJanitor posted:

Counterpoint, most people probably have no clue what's going on in any of the souls/borne games. "I have no idea what I did or why" was pretty much my reaction on finishing my first Dark Souls 1 playthrough. Playing through and just having fun with dress-up and stabbing zombies is not only viable, but probably normal for the majority of players. But for anyone who really wants to dig into the lore and plot there are literally days worth of youtube videos to watch that would love to tell you about it.

The ambiguity of the Dark Souls story is both a strength and a weakness. It does a hell of a lot to energize the tone of the game, but it is also rather frustrating.

Sorta like Donnie Darko. It's all about the tone, not so much the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you want an interesting greatsword to build around, one I don't ever seen anyone use or talk about is the cathedral knight greatsword. It's Strike/Thrust which is pretty cool, and its weapon art is a spin-to-win.