Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Telsa Cola posted:

Maybe the people who you rely on to get from A to B should be payed correctly since yall fall apart if they decide not too?????

No. They need to make the trains automated and cut the chaff. Too bad the unions will stone wall and block any changes that might make the commuters' experience better and make things more efficient. You can barely understand what the hell some conductors are saying like names of stops or other announcements. Why is that not automated? How many times has a disabled person been screwed over because of that? Can't lose those jobs!

After seeing a Bart janitor using the same mop and bucket of water to clean the handrails of the escalators and stairs as the floor, I think they are being paid fine for their work. It's pretty awesome too when he smiles and says what a good job he's doing!

Plus it's not like it matters. The way Bart is funded and how integral it is now pretty much guarantees apathy and not giving a gently caress in regards to service provided by its public center employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Somebody on my Nextdoor group (shut up, it's also led to spontaneous formation of a garden club and a zoning-board comparison) quite seriously said that renters brought high crime and should not be permitted. Not just poors, but anybody who rented.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

fits my needs posted:

No. They need to make the trains automated and cut the chaff. Too bad the unions will stone wall and block any changes that might make the commuters' experience better and make things more efficient. You can barely understand what the hell some conductors are saying like names of stops or other announcements. Why is that not automated? How many times has a disabled person been screwed over because of that? Can't lose those jobs!

After seeing a Bart janitor using the same mop and bucket of water to clean the handrails of the escalators and stairs as the floor, I think they are being paid fine for their work. It's pretty awesome too when he smiles and says what a good job he's doing!

Plus it's not like it matters. The way Bart is funded and how integral it is now pretty much guarantees apathy and not giving a gently caress in regards to service provided by its public center employees.

I've seen the (often literal) poo poo that the janitors have to clean up at BART stations, and honestly they deserve to be paid well for that work. But you know that the strike was about more than them, right? The drivers and the track maintenance workers were the main force behind it, and they have technical, safety critical jobs which are vital to the day-to-day operation of the entire Bay Area. Why shouldn't they be able to push for better/safer working conditions? The strike was an effective tactic, and if management didn't want to inconvenience the people who rely on the BART workers to get to work safely every day, then management shouldn't have tried to play hardball with the contract.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

fits my needs posted:

No. They need to make the trains automated and cut the chaff.

During the strike, a train under automated control hit and killed two workers, so it's kind of like both of those things happened :yum:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

GrumpyDoctor posted:

During the strike, a train under automated control hit and killed two workers, so it's kind of like both of those things happened :yum:

So BART workers have trouble dealing with change? Yeah I guess cars did kill some people when they were first introduced so that means we should not try to make safer and better cars. Also, for some reason other automated train systems don't end up having similar problems.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I grew up in an Eichler and I gotta say, they are beautiful houses, but goddamn was the roof poorly designed. My parents have been battling leaks since they bought the house. Also, bats get in fairly often.

Why do you hate janitors?

I was in a flat roof eichler styled duplex right in that same area of Sunnyvale (Homestead/280) and that motherfucker was always leaking and every time the owner (who I knew) would send another roof crew out to scrape/re-mop it would just start leaking again in a new spot. I think they finally got it solved with the entire removal of the existing layers of poo poo and using TPO membrane/torches. gently caress that - I'm sure it's leaking again.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol if you think retrofitting BART with automated announcers would be free.

Should we spend money upgrading track or building new lines? Nah, lets add a near worthless retrofit.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I'm glad I now know the name of 'those weird ranch homes that look like bungalows for the elderly'

Isn't the big problem with BART that it's run by a bunch of inept city government level people? It feels like every opportunity the public has to throw more money at public transit, we do, but nobody is happy (for very clear reasons).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

fits my needs posted:

So BART workers have trouble dealing with change?

This kind of edginess does nothing to convince people you want mutually beneficial advances, as opposed to pain for workers you despise, in case you cared.

Space-Bird posted:

Isn't the big problem with BART that it's run by a bunch of inept city government level people? It feels like every opportunity the public has to throw more money at public transit, we do, but nobody is happy (for very clear reasons).

I assume they're motivated by the fear that no one was ever re-elected for funding services in other cities.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Doc Hawkins posted:

This kind of edginess does nothing to convince people you want mutually beneficial advances, as opposed to pain for workers you despise, in case you cared.

I assume they're motivated by the fear that no one was ever re-elected for funding services in other cities.

Yeah it's almost like when a local government official's only goal is to keep your position at the cost of everything else, we get bad government services.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

If we didn't have bart drivers, who would reboot the trains?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
BART has pretty good on-time performance, relatively speaking. But it's old, it's outgrown its original design intentions, and it's regional transit operating without a regional transit authority.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

South Pasadena.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/business/20160114/will-residents-fight-this-potential-south-pasadena-development#disqus_thread

Update: The project is dead.

Look at these comments:

These fuckers think PASADENA is too built up.

edit: And this is a community so liberal that half the residents were outraged that the Mayor held a Prayer Breakfast because they felt it was not inclusive. That's the latest scandal.

Oh, yeah SoPA is NIMBY central. Goondolences. I'm really glad there's minimal organized opposition in downtown Long Beach, which is seeing something of a building boom atm. Parking is getting beyond FUBAR though, so who knows how long that'll last.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

GrumpyDoctor posted:

. But it's old, it's outgrown its original design intentions, and it's regional transit operating without a regional transit authority.

Oh why'd you have the bring that up

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ron Jeremy posted:

Oh why'd you have the bring that up

Yeah, I've seen that map, but I was under the impression that it was never more than speculation. I was referring to the fact that it now carries more than twenty times as many people as was originally envisioned.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Doc Hawkins posted:

This kind of edginess does nothing to convince people you want mutually beneficial advances
Youre responding to a troll that is flailing around the forums because the Bernie thread they were previously trolling was closed. Do not feed.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

He's a big longshot, but I am going to volunteer for Emory Rodgers for Boxer's Senate seat. For those who don't know about him: https://voteforemory.com/

If you're a Sanders supporter, chances are you're gonna love this dude.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

He's a big longshot, but I am going to volunteer for Emory Rodgers for Boxer's Senate seat. For those who don't know about him: https://voteforemory.com/

If you're a Sanders supporter, chances are you're gonna love this dude.

Dead man walking in Trump's America. :rip:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
The official state voter guide is uh... Quite a thing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's fun game to figure out which candidates might be the serious ones based only on the voter's guide.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

withak posted:

It's fun game to figure out which candidates might be the serious ones based only on the voter's guide.

I've almost never been let down by MORE CAPS = CRAZIER THAN.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Remember: Star Child's the libertarian, so voting against him is generally a good starting point.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

raminasi posted:

Yeah, I've seen that map, but I was under the impression that it was never more than speculation. I was referring to the fact that it now carries more than twenty times as many people as was originally envisioned.

Yeah that map is totally fictional. The 1961 plan was much more restrained than it even with the extensions to Palo Alto and San Rafael.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

King Hong Kong posted:

Yeah that map is totally fictional. The 1961 plan was much more restrained than it even with the extensions to Palo Alto and San Rafael.

Yep. This is the real 1961 map (it did change a few times so there's a few variations, later ones showing southbay as "planned" which is ultimately what we got). We did get pretty much most of it.

Real biggest loss is that we will never never ever get a train though north SF (which is utterly abysmally serviced by muni buses instead), and even further to north bay in our life times.

It's very possible and likely we'll at least see the south bay as envisioned sometime in our lives (even if it's 25+ years out I can see it happening though I'll be pretty drat close to being dead by then).

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I think after the BART extension reaches Santa Clara, the attention will seriously turn to a 2nd Transbay tube. All the plans right now have it going through Jack London Square and Alameda to Soma and continue on to Geary. Unfortunately all of us might be on Medicare or dead by the time that it is completed at this rate

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I figure traffic can only get so bad, and if the tech industry keeps growing then eventually we will see more serious money dumped into mass transit / someone will actually form a regional transit authority. So we probably won't be dead by the time BART gets significantly expanded, but it'll be a while yet.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

VikingofRock posted:

I figure traffic can only get so bad

Interesting idea.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

VikingofRock posted:

I figure traffic can only get so bad, and if the tech industry keeps growing then eventually we will see more serious money dumped into mass transit / someone will actually form a regional transit authority. So we probably won't be dead by the time BART gets significantly expanded, but it'll be a while yet.

Just a reminder how much money is being spent on HSR and it's still not going to fulfill phase one in its entirety for another 13 years... If it even gets enough funding to do it that quickly.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Don't worry, self driving cars and personal drone shuttles will fix these problems.

That's why we shouldn't fund public transit.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Just a reminder how much money is being spent on HSR and it's still not going to fulfill phase one in its entirety for another 13 years... If it even gets enough funding to do it that quickly.

Pretty much. I wouldn't be surprised to see that slip further and the whole system might not be done for perhaps twice as long. The phase 2 SF Central Subway project began planning back in 2002 and it's now getting close to operational in 2019. Even if BART started just preliminary planning phase of a second transbay tube right now, it might not even be completed until 2030, and maybe more realistically since they aren't, we might not get one until 2040.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Shbobdb posted:

Don't worry, self driving cars and personal drone shuttles will fix these problems.

That's why we shouldn't fund public transit.

True fact: VTA is getting defunded by their cities by people who believe exactly this.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

jeeves posted:

True fact: VTA is getting defunded by their cities by people who believe exactly this.

Are you confusing the news story I've linked a couple times about Sunnyvale's city council ruling? Because that was about blocking a dedicated bus rapid transit lane on El Camino Real for the reason you mentioned, not about not paying for the VTA.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

fits my needs posted:

Just as an aside, the new bart cars have automated station announcements and screens which show the station name.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

jeeves posted:

:thejoke:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Are you confusing the news story I've linked a couple times about Sunnyvale's city council ruling? Because that was about blocking a dedicated bus rapid transit lane on El Camino Real for the reason you mentioned, not about not paying for the VTA.

that article is great

Some council members dismissed better bus service entirely as impractical and outdated, despite the repeated success of dozens of rapid bus projects worldwide, and pointed to self-driving vehicles as a more appropriate transit solution for Silicon Valley.

“Instead of getting involved in Bus Rapid Transit, let’s start thinking of new and innovative ways that make travel better for everyone,” said Davis. “I’m not against smart transportation, but smart transportation is not increased numbers of buses. World class transportation systems are not those that rely on traffic lights and roadways.”

“When cars are actually autonomous and speak to each other, they will be packed more densely on
the roads, and they won’t be creating that congestion,” said Whittum. “So the idea of spending huge amounts of money on concrete to do this, it’s not a futuristic 21st century idea, it’s actually a very 20th century idea.”

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Sunnyvale is the actual worst. Rich enough to have the fygm tech douchebags, poor enough for those fygm policies to have actual consequences to see,at least if you knew anyone who lived above el Camino real, that is.

Otoh, garcias at fair oaks is loving delicious.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Ahhhh yes, the old "lets just increase car capacity" plan, except modified this time its computer controlled smart cars being packed more tightly onto existing lanes instead of adding more traffic lanes. A plan that, in the history of automobile travel, has worked exactly never.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

cheese posted:

Ahhhh yes, the old "lets just increase car capacity" plan, except modified this time its computer controlled smart cars being packed more tightly onto existing lanes instead of adding more traffic lanes. A plan that, in the history of automobile travel, has worked exactly never.

Yes but it clearly will this time because,

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Someone just needs to write the proper app and it will all fix itself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
BLM had a disruptive transit app. It had a pretty poor reception at launch but now that most of the legal details have been ironed out, I'm expecting big things!