Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Section Z posted:

I'm not what you would call "Good" at PvP anyways, so my entire confusion is why basically everyone I have run into treat purple invaders as turbo Satan who should be taken down through any means necessary as soon as possible (okay makes sense so far) While a Red phantom is right there, trying to kill you (Aaaand now I'm confused).

"Hey you know what? I guess I don't HAVE to kill the host. Okay, guard break the read Phantom and-oh I've been backstabbed by the host. Well at least they can probably catch... oh they are enacting a 4vs1 beatdown on me while the red phantom crystals out 10 feet away completely ignored? Okey dokey."

I mean yeah, if I decide to bow as an invader an they respond by stabbing me in the groin, I'm still an INVADER despite how many people also scream like children at how invaders should have honor, so that's understandable. In any game, E honor only survives as long as it is convenient for the person demanding it, anyways.

I'm just trying to figure out why the priorities I've run into so far in my meager dabbling of invasion seem to be "gently caress purple guys forever. Even if a Red phantom is pitching chaos fireballs at me and my phantoms, we gotta get that purple guy first! Even if he's dressed up like a farmer dual wielding torches!"

Is it because purple dudes give you a shackle if you kill them, while killing reds give you gently caress all as a host or sign summon? That's the only "Logical" reason I can quickly think of for so many people going out of their way to kill purples instead of reds.

I like purples. If they allow it I'll even cooperate through the level and get back stabbed at a crucial moment, as God intended. :3:

For the guy who walked me through a chunk of Irithyll I even had him on the ropes and threw the fight. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

actionjackson posted:

What's a good level range to be at to get summoned for Aldrich covenant? It hasn't happened for me yet.

Around level ~65 with a +6 weapon I was getting summoned so often it was hard to remove the covenant item in time to do anything else.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
One day, you will post upon those very forums... without really knowing why.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Subhazard posted:

The ambiguity of the Dark Souls story is both a strength and a weakness. It does a hell of a lot to energize the tone of the game, but it is also rather frustrating.

Sorta like Donnie Darko. It's all about the tone, not so much the details.

It does a great job setting that tone, too. You don't need to watch hours of vaatividya to know that Lordran is a lonely, empty, dying land. The crumbling buildings and mindless zombies tell all the story you need. Or, like, just calling Anor Londo the city of the gods really tells you all you need to set the mood, without needing to dig into the implications of text snippets on an item description. The fact that the lore depth is there if you want to look for it is what makes it work, but even if you never do any digging, you still get to enjoy the general feeling that it creates. The vague and mysterious nature that lets you fill in your own gaps makes it even better. Like the way a good horror movie never shows you the whole monster.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Around level ~65 with a +6 weapon I was getting summoned so often it was hard to remove the covenant item in time to do anything else.

I forgot about the weapon stuff. My pyro flame is +10... but my level is only 70-80 I think

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
My dream is that some day when a PVP guy sees me running at him naked swinging my fists randomly he will find it funny and not just immediately kill me

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I feel like a goofball admitting this but picking up the hints about Aldritch's backstory (and his relationship to Horace, Anri, and Gwyndolin in particular) was the first time in ages I found myself emotionally invested in hating a video game character.

In a surprise twist, the cannibal poopmonster is a huge jerk.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

There isn't really a "story" in the traditional sense in the Souls games, it's more like you're reading a synopsis of a historical myth, and witnessing some of the more personal narratives along the way. I think saying that the devs have a carefully planned narrative is giving them way too much credit, but they're not just throwing crap at a wall, either. At least, not entirely.

I would be more impressed and engaged if they managed to link it all together in a remotely satisfying way, but I feel like the best way to enjoy the Souls "story" is to look at the architecture and ignore item descriptions.

Because seriously. For a game that is so invested in show-not-tell, some dumb bullshit on the name tag of a sword I picked up is like the least evocative way to convey info about the setting.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I feel like a goofball admitting this but picking up the hints about Aldritch's backstory (and his relationship to Horace, Anri, and Gwyndolin in particular) was the first time in ages I found myself emotionally invested in hating a video game character.

In a surprise twist, the cannibal poopmonster is a huge jerk.

Piecing together just how utterly vile Aldrich is gave me nightmares, something no other video game except for Bloodborne has ever managed to do. It's not even that he's a flesheating monster. It's just like Hawkwood said, they named him Lord and Saint not for virtue, but for might. That's just the way things are in the world and it's a nauseating prospect.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It seems like the dogs guarding the Aldritch covenent have been stealth nerfed to have much smaller aggro radii now, so it's easy to fight one at a time if you just rush the rightmost one and stay out of the other half of the room. It was a little anticlimactic as I was expecting a tough fight :saddowns:

This is probably old news I missed ages ago but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

One thing about the Souls approach is that it only works for histories-- narratives in which the major events have already passed. It's not inherently good or bad, but that is the basic limitation. Each time, you're essentially performing a final mop-up of a pantheon that has already lived out all its internal squabbles, has very little fight left, and is settling into decay.

It's quite evocative, but sometimes I do wish I understood a little more about what I'm fighting. Not just the usual item backstory stuff like "how did this character become a big weird monster", but also "what are they trying to do now, and what will happen if I fail to defeat them?". The games tend to be short on those types of clear stakes.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Pick axe is good. I drag it around on my back for looks and sometimes I bust it out in pvp for a few hits. The stamina buff is great if you are into aggressive play "stamina advantage" stuff. Wouldn't use it exclusively though. It's good when you are using pole arms and some rear end in a top hat keeps rolling in really close, so you give them the pick axe a few times and they back off.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Mel Mudkiper posted:

My dream is that some day when a PVP guy sees me running at him naked swinging my fists randomly he will find it funny and not just immediately kill me

lol if you invade and it's not immediately a 1v4 or even 1v5.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

One thing about the Souls approach is that it only works for histories-- narratives in which the major events have already passed. It's not inherently good or bad, but that is the basic limitation. Each time, you're essentially performing a final mop-up of a pantheon that has already lived out all its internal squabbles, has very little fight left, and is settling into decay.

It's quite evocative, but sometimes I do wish I understood a little more about what I'm fighting. Not just the usual item backstory stuff like "how did this character become a big weird monster", but also "what are they trying to do now, and what will happen if I fail to defeat them?". The games tend to be short on those types of clear stakes.

There really are no stakes though. You're fighting to delay the heat death of the universe just a little longer (or not). The answer to your question is "nothing, and nothing".

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So far I am actually really enjoying the bosses in this game, which is not something I expected to say because they are usually one of my least favorite parts of these games. In every game except demon's souls they have felt like gigantic spikes in the difficulty curve that turn your steady progress into beating your head against a brick wall until you get it. So far in this game however, their difficulty has been much more comparable to the area they're in, and they have been spaced out much more, so there's a lot more of the kind of gameplay I enjoy. They have also been very creative, instead of "big dude with big weapon" #26. The pope union was a great high point so far and I hope the game keeps this up, because boy are there a lot of things I have to say that are not compliments.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

JetsGuy posted:

lol if you invade and it's not immediately a 1v4 or even 1v5.

I do summon signing

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I like purples. If they allow it I'll even cooperate through the level and get back stabbed at a crucial moment, as God intended. :3:

For the guy who walked me through a chunk of Irithyll I even had him on the ropes and threw the fight. :3:
I helped someone open the first shortcut in Cathedral of the Deep before I backstabbed him. :3:

I don't know if he knew that would happen. He seemed confused though

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

BobTheJanitor posted:

Counterpoint, most people probably have no clue what's going on in any of the souls/borne games. "I have no idea what I did or why" was pretty much my reaction on finishing my first Dark Souls 1 playthrough. Playing through and just having fun with dress-up and stabbing zombies is not only viable, but probably normal for the majority of players. But for anyone who really wants to dig into the lore and plot there are literally days worth of youtube videos to watch that would love to tell you about it.

Sure, but I'm just talking about the experience of playing the game, like returning to Anor Londo or fighting the second phase of Soul of Cinder.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Spanish Manlove posted:

I really do wonder what's with the pile of them at the bottom of the tower and the dead one on top of the tower.

There's a line in some item that they go to die when they can no longer fulfill their purpose.

This opens a few more questions though. Maybe this Shrine has been operating for a while. Maybe since the Unkindled first had to start harvesting leftover Lords of Cinder to keep the dying world alive a little longer.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

I helped someone open the first shortcut in Cathedral of the Deep before I backstabbed him. :3:

I don't know if he knew that would happen. He seemed confused though

You're the good kind of purple. Well, one of the two - if I'm down to a sliver of health I don't really begrudge my buddy a free shackle, but I figure it's best to help with an advancement step before the murder.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this is the kind of purple I am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-TwZeQngCk

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Welp I'm now trying to use the Greatlance on my newest run. It's so slow and the charge (both the weapon skill, the R2 and the running attack) take ages to charge up, are prone to miss and deal less damage than an R1. Good poo poo.

Dazzling Addar posted:

One day, you will post upon those very forums... without really knowing why.

Yes, indeed. It is called Something Awful.

Where the transitory posts of the Shitlords of the Internet converge.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
For a good time play a pure casting sorcerer at base vigor (9) and all points in ATT/INT, then go fight Aldrich with dusk crown on and try to make Twisted Wall of Light not be a useless piece of poo poo.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
Did anybody else figure that the estus soup everywhere was From teasing us? Like we were a step behind Solaire the entire time?

Maybe it's no coincidence that we pick up the Sunlight Covenant item in the first place we see estus soup.

He's out there. *X-Files music*

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Pyrus Malus posted:

Did anybody else figure that the estus soup everywhere was From teasing us? Like we were a step behind Solaire the entire time?

Maybe it's no coincidence that we pick up the Sunlight Covenant item in the first place we see estus soup.

You also get the SUnlight Talisman at the second soup

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Pyrus Malus posted:

I was under the assumption that Siegward was making it :v:

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

Pyrus Malus posted:

Given that you find the covenant at the first and the talisman at the second, well. It's a shame our paths didn't intersect this time, but maybe it's for the best. Maybe he's already surpassed us anyway.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I was under the assumption that Siegward was making it :v:

Yeah the 2nd soup is explicitly him, so the 1st probably is too. He even says "let the sun shine bright" or something so he's probably a sunbro.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I only found the 2 soups, one in the undead town and one in irithyll. how many are there total?

also I just realized that even though there are certain things I think DS2 does better, I could never go back to invasion items being consumable only and having to buy / farm / ascetic / duel my supply of them and then having to keep clicking USE every time the invasion failed to connect or couldn't find a host or whatever. having invasion be the infinite REO and having it basically be a switch you turn on or off is just too good to walk away from.

I mean I know ratbro and bellbro as covenants actually worked (compared to wolfbro and bluecop) but still

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I just had a fun invasion:

I invade into the Crucifixion woods as a mad dark spirit and the player was at that bonfire, calling some buddies to murder me. I immediately book it to the ladder down to farron keep, climb on and watch both of the host's valiant defenders overstep and plummet to their deaths as they tried to catch me. As soon as that happens, another mad dark spirit bro pops in and we run down the host together (comedically catching each other with our respective wide swings).

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Estus soup is a specialty of his.
He says long may the sun shine.
Sunlight talisman AND sunlight covenant are near estus soup.
Farron Keep is on the way to Irithyll, where you meet him again.

Seigward is most likely a sunbro, and the room in the undead settlement is either A. his living space or B. a room of terrible torture and misery he, by complete coincidence, decided to use to hole up for the day before continuing on his unkindled journey.

Lakitouille
Oct 12, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp9cZ1QjnRg

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

homeless poster posted:

I only found the 2 soups, one in the undead town and one in irithyll. how many are there total?

I only remember 3. One in Undead Settlement, one in Farron Keep, and one in Irithyll.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

actionjackson posted:

What's a good level range to be at to get summoned for Aldrich covenant? It hasn't happened for me yet.

Anywhere between like, 40 to 80

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

actionjackson posted:

I'm up at 185 and was getting summoned for it all afternoon just hanging out past the pontiff.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I've shown people the illusion door a few times by them finding me just dual wielding torches against it :buddy:

I noticed a lot of people miss the lever for the gate for some reason, I guess it does blend in and you can get distracted by the skeletons.

I am so going past/going to be well past the level range for the catacombs. That place is fun and the back end is surprisingly tiny when you get down to it.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
...Is this true?

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4hijpm/beware_bug_the_physical_defense_stat_is_almost/

So not only poise does nothing, but neither does the physical absorption stat? It's basically nothing but "slug melee" resistance, according to the poster.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I wonder how early you could do this and how far you could play before it fixed itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N25D3aaM4Rs

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone have a Twin Prince Soul they wouldn't mind giving/trading to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Genocyber posted:

Anyone have a Twin Prince Soul they wouldn't mind giving/trading to me?

You can't drop boss souls I thought.

Edit: Or yeah you can just get the weapon you're looking for, silly me.

A FESTIVE SKELETON fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 3, 2016