Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the specifics of technology usually don't come directly from outside influences. It is language and mindset that sets this branch of hominids apart from other animals. Fire, weapons, vehicles, domestication - some inventions are prehistoric. DNA encodes one form of information, human minds and civilizations in aggregate could be seen as having information capacity in a similar fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

9Mothers9horses9eyes9 is great fun for everyone who reads this thread. Its a modern John Titor.
Are you talking about http://recordofevents.com/zroe%2010a.txt because that's all I'm finding after a quick Google?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Reflections85 posted:

Are you talking about http://recordofevents.com/zroe%2010a.txt because that's all I'm finding after a quick Google?
:wtc: I 9 guess 9 thats9 it 9

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

twistedmentat posted:

There is inherent racism in the Ancient Aliens thing, because it mostly focuses on non-white civilizations. There are things that talk about the Norse and the Greeks, but for some reason most of the focus is on non-whites. I wonder why?

I disagree because Stonehenge is a biggie for most alien nutjob conspiracy theorists and I'm pretty sure Britons count as white.

These things cover cultures all over the world and the majority of the world isn't "white", so when you're looking at it as just "Whites" and "Non-white" of course you're going to see more instances of non-white people. If you could break them all down into smaller groups I'm sure it'd be a lot more even.

For example I don't see many alien theories about China, despite all the seemingly anachronistic technology they created.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 1, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

QuarkJets posted:

This is wrong; modern mixes include variations on Roman concrete that are basically the same quality (using fly ash instead of volcanic ash). They're all structurally superior to generic concrete, which is weak but also cheap.

I know that you're not arguing against this, but concrete really isn't hard to make

Don't hold your breath waiting for a callback form the history channel bub, they've got not use for your high fallutin' killjoy attitude.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

RagnarokAngel posted:

I disagree because Stonehenge is a biggie for most alien nutjob conspiracy theorists and I'm pretty sure Britons count as white.

These things cover cultures all over the world and the majority of the world isn't "white", so when you're looking at it as just "Whites" and "Non-white" of course you're going to see more instances of non-white people. If you could break them all down into smaller groups I'm sure it'd be a lot more even.

For example I don't see many alien theories about China, despite all the seemingly anachronistic technology they created.

Err yes and no, Stone Henge and ancient Druid sites were made by ye olde Celtic or earlier civilisations, they're "white" but English culture used to treat them as simple naked savages and traced their history from the Roman settlements to the Saxon tribes. Any of the other civilisations not in this narrow mix were writen off as savages and warlike thugs. A big reason for why Stone Henge became such a major source of attraction for the "its a UFO landing pad" crowd was because officially speaking stone henge was a mystery because they just couldn't grasp how such stupid people could move those stones all the way out there. This is bizarre cultural bias has been crumbling since the 19th century.

So its not really a white vs non white thing in Britain, but it was very much influenced by racial chauvinism.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Reflections85 posted:

Nah that's not it. I found an article about it last night, lemme look again

Edit here's a vice article with links to the wikia http://motherboard.vice.com/read/9mother9horse9eyes9-is-reddits-new-terrifying-mystery

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It reminds me a lot of NIN's year zero campaign, which was also good conspiracy fun.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

QuarkJets posted:

This is wrong; modern mixes include variations on Roman concrete that are basically the same quality (using fly ash instead of volcanic ash). They're all structurally superior to generic concrete, which is weak but also cheap.

I know that you're not arguing against this, but concrete really isn't hard to make

Nah, its just they finally stumbled back into figuring out what parts made it at least long lasting if not be THE BEST as far as modern mixtures being harder but sometimes more dependent on repair and care/etc. The Romans probably didn't know exactly why some buildings used better mixtures than others, particularly when money was an issue even back then as who wants what built, how great the fly/volcanic ash was at that specific point in time and who is going to pay the labor/whoever owns the slaves, but if the Ancient Alien crowd ever thought about it they would likely have shoved in ALIENS yet again as a reason why they knew about it and likely even why we just now figured out more about it. Sorry about not checking all the details.

Baka-nin posted:

Err yes and no, Stone Henge and ancient Druid sites were made by ye olde Celtic or earlier civilisations, they're "white" but English culture used to treat them as simple naked savages and traced their history from the Roman settlements to the Saxon tribes. Any of the other civilisations not in this narrow mix were writen off as savages and warlike thugs. A big reason for why Stone Henge became such a major source of attraction for the "its a UFO landing pad" crowd was because officially speaking stone henge was a mystery because they just couldn't grasp how such stupid people could move those stones all the way out there. This is bizarre cultural bias has been crumbling since the 19th century.

So its not really a white vs non white thing in Britain, but it was very much influenced by racial chauvinism.

Note how some people still cling to a general Anglo-Saxson identity or act that they are the only people living on the drat isles when they're just as likely to have Celtic roots from Cornish, Bretons or Welsh. That reminds me, have any of the conspiracy crowd touched the Picts and their trippy as hell art?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 2, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Would you call them, Pictures?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Crabtree posted:

Note how some people still cling to a general Anglo-Saxson identity or act that they are the only people living on the drat isles when they're just as likely to have Celtic roots from Cornish, Bretons or Welsh. That reminds me, have any of the conspiracy crowd touched the Picts and their trippy as hell art?

In some Neo-Pagan circles, they have decided that the Picts were actually a separate, magical species (seriously, one of the major authors in the NeoPagan movement, Silver Ravenwolf, straight-up starts her biggest-selling book by saying the ancient "Picts" are obviously "Pixies"). So the fact that they existed is proof that there were these matrilineal utopian societies of magickal fae folk who were there before the evil patriarchal Christians came in and ruined everything. Never again the burning times and all that jazz.

The weird pseudo-histories that come out of the modern pagan movements are pretty damned silly, but also a great example of how far some straight white cis people will do to be able to claim they are a persecuted minority.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
To be fair, a lot of early European cultures did appear to believe that other people they encountered weren't really people but actually monsters. So killing them is not only OK, it is basically required for survival.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7MS8a9bgNk

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When I say ancient alien theory is racist, I don't mean Von Danniken sat down and went "God drat rag heads! How dare they build something better than whatever the hell country i come from did in the past!" I think its more that subtle, cultural racism that was so popular in the past where Europeans think that their civilization was clearly the best, and had always been the best, and therefor everyone else was inferior. Anything that suggested otherwise clearly must have been by someone other than the dirty foreigners.

The birth of the New Age movement is the same kind of thinking; lots of talk about ancient mysteries revealed in Tibetan temples that describe Europeans from Thule or Atlantis or Hyperborea or Mu or wherever showing up and telling everyone to stop picking their noses and teach them how to light a fire. I saw birth of the New Age movement because it has its roots in really ugly Eurocentric esoteric thought that also inspired some nice people in Germany (though not as much as some people would have you believe).

(yes I know Erik Van Dannikan is Swiss, he just has that accent that like Tommy Wiseau, just says "Somewhere in Europe")

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My favorite is how not racist the Thule Society was.

We know Germans are the best, but history shows otherwise. What could have made this happen?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Shbobdb posted:

We know Germans are the best, but history shows otherwise. What could have made this happen?

ze... ze jewz....?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Well, yes. But rather than having racist assumptions (backwards people couldn't have built that!) The Thule society developed racist solutions (the Jews prevented us from reaching our potential!) Some members also thought there was lost German archeology that would prove they were superior, which is delightfully aspirationally Lovecraftian. "We were the ancient evils all along"
Or "the ancient evil was inside us the whole time!"

So wake up or click your heels -- we're back and better than ever! Off to our homeland of inner earth!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

e_angst posted:

In some Neo-Pagan circles, they have decided that the Picts were actually a separate, magical species (seriously, one of the major authors in the NeoPagan movement, Silver Ravenwolf, straight-up starts her biggest-selling book by saying the ancient "Picts" are obviously "Pixies"). So the fact that they existed is proof that there were these matrilineal utopian societies of magickal fae folk who were there before the evil patriarchal Christians came in and ruined everything. Never again the burning times and all that jazz.

The weird pseudo-histories that come out of the modern pagan movements are pretty damned silly, but also a great example of how far some straight white cis people will do to be able to claim they are a persecuted minority.

It's been awhile since I read Conan but were the Picts in that basically written as savages who would ultimately go on to take over the world? I think it came up in AoC at some point too.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
E: edited by the illuminati

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

When I say ancient alien theory is racist, I don't mean Von Danniken sat down and went "God drat rag heads! How dare they build something better than whatever the hell country i come from did in the past!"

Actually, like I pointed out earlier, he pretty much exactly did that, up to and including literally talking about how black people can only bang on drums and chuck spears.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Switzerland posted:

ze... ze jewz....?

Classic Switzerland, won't commit to a side.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We knew this was going to come up, but this is by far the worst one

Like they don't even look like each other in the slightest outside of being men with eyes, noses and mouths.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Like they don't even look like each other in the slightest outside of being men with eyes, noses and mouths.

These have to be parody by now. I like that they've looped in some nonspecific antisemitism, though. That's having a real paranoid schizophrenic renaissance thanks to Trump.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
People have theorized that the Wellaware guy, besides having the "I'm into guns in a creepy way" look, has that thing that makes it hard to tell peoples faces apart.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

My favorite part is how "a little hair going down the hairline over the forehead" is now considered a defining feature. It's not even the same little curl and it's missing in other pictures.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

twistedmentat posted:

People have theorized that the Wellaware guy, besides having the "I'm into guns in a creepy way" look, has that thing that makes it hard to tell peoples faces apart.

I have a mild form of face blindness, and have to stick with peoples hair or jaws to identify them unless I know them well. I'd be easy pickings for the crisis actor thing if they weren't, you know, clearly insane.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If they had to hire people to pose in pictures in crisis situations why would they hire the same people over and over aaaaaaaasa

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Data Graham posted:

If they had to hire people to pose in pictures in crisis situations why would they hire the same people over and over aaaaaaaasa

Crisis Actor's Union, I hear it's very powerful.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tias posted:

I have a mild form of face blindness, and have to stick with peoples hair or jaws to identify them unless I know them well. I'd be easy pickings for the crisis actor thing if they weren't, you know, clearly insane.

And also if they weren't so bad that jawlines and hair aren't going to stop them from saying two people look the same.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
If you want to feel some completely justified outrage at the conspiracy crowd then I would direct your attention to this here video of Alex Jones wherein he explains that the LGBT community has the blood of these innocent victims on their hands. He explains that this attack has been caused by the fake persecution that the LGBT community has pretended that it lives under. No, seriously, that is his justification. (He claims early in the video that this attacker killed more LGBT people than all homophobia in the United States has killed in the last 50+ years combined)

I recommend a strong whiskey sours to accompany this video and heartily discourage anyone from taking the health risk of viewing it while sober.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53nxo-KQ-Sc

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He's getting fat. I hope he dies.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

He's getting fat. I hope he dies.

The true irony would be if, upon his death, conspiracy theorists begin claiming that he can't really be dead and must have been an actor slipping away to retire the role.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

The true irony would be if, upon his death, conspiracy theorists begin claiming that he can't really be dead and must have been an actor slipping away to retire the role.

Probably, a vocal minority of Conspiraloons have been accusing Alex of being a plant for years. It's not hard to see why.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
He's actually Bill Hicks

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JFairfax posted:

He's actually Bill Hicks

Which isn't that far fetched because Hicks was kind of a lovely person and would totally be spouting off Truther bullshit.

I keep hoping Jones will say something so bad, so reprehensible that it drives people away, but I think his audience are totally down with anything and everything he says.

chitoryu12 posted:

My favorite part is how "a little hair going down the hairline over the forehead" is now considered a defining feature. It's not even the same little curl and it's missing in other pictures.

Yea, you look at it and go "how the hell can you think they're even remotely the same person" and its all based on really, really superficial details.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

twistedmentat posted:

im the teeth that in no way match but are put side to side

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just realized the GREENBURG actor is big there so you can subtly say "JOOOOOZZZ!", because when you break down any conspiracy theory, it's always about the Jews.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Baka-nin posted:

Probably, a vocal minority of Conspiraloons have been accusing Alex of being a plant for years. It's not hard to see why.

I thought it was pretty mainstream that he's disinformation.

But that might be particular to the Orgonite/911/satanic conspiracies I'm partial to. Like anything else, I think it depends on which lunatics you want to hang out with.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I think there's a rivalry going between Alex Jones and David Icke, where the followers of one accuse the other of being a plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Goon Danton posted:

I think there's a rivalry going between Alex Jones and David Icke, where the followers of one accuse the other of being a plant.

I choose to believe that Icke's followers are accusing Jones of being a literal plant.

• Locked thread