Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

MisterAlex posted:

Has this always been there, and I just didn't notice before? I didn't think you could push downloads to the Vita remotely (i.e. from the web store interface). Can you?

It's been there forever and i also did already spend some time complaining about how arse it is that there's no button on the vita for "start downloads of queued poo poo now" and instead you have to reboot the thing, open the store, let it sit for an hour, while praying furiously.

It's also a little weird if you have a Vita and a PS TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Sakurazuka posted:

It's been there for at least a couple of years and yeah you can though when your Vita actually decides to check for stuff to download is pretty arbitrary.
I've tried this in the past similar to my PS4 and it never worked so I figured it wasn't an actual feature. Basically it hinges on the finicky attitude of the Vita itself?

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
OLED or LCD?? serious question, gonna be buying a vita this week

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

Doesn't matter.

Get the cheaper one.

Be aware that the LCD one uses non-propietary usb cables, making it a good choice if you don't want to buy 3rd party usb cables when the sony one breaks.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Ah, I see...

"Content will start downloading when your PS Vita is turned on." (I know mine is.)
"PlayStation Plus members can also set their PS Vita to automatically check for updates and pending downloads." (I guess I'll have to find that option and enable it.)

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

After researching both and comparing screen quality both in online comparison reviews and in-person at GameStop, I went with the OLED screen. The picture is noticeably nicer.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I got a 2000 over the weekend and I'm finding the reduced weight to be an improvement alone. Only a real A/V nerd would care about the OLED.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Having owned both, get neither because the Vita is dead.

Real talk get a slim, the screen quality makes the tiniest of difference unless you'd compare them side by side, and the lighter weight, better battery life and non-proprietary USB charging port are way nice for convenience and ease of use.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

you will buy your cute anime girl machine and like it

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Coughing Hobo posted:

I get that this is the on-going joke, but there are actually a lot of games coming out this year. Odin Sphere, Grand Kingdom, Psycho-Pass, Project Diva, Neptunia x Sega Hard Girls, Atelier Sophie, God Eater, Trails of Cold Steel, and more. It's a pretty solid lineup this year.

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My vita battery keeps reporting weirdly - it goes from full to battery warnings at random, and then when I check it after a warning it's still halfway full. Turns itself off, but lets me wake it up and its still showing at half battery, then turns itself off again. I've replaced the charger and tried it with spares so it's not that, software is up to date etc etc....Is my dead handheld really dead this time? :(
In better news how the hell have I not played Super Stardust Delta before now? I got it because it was by the same guys who did Alienation on PS4, which I bought on a whim and am loving but suck at so far.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I like my vita, but the big issue is how many of the new games also have better performing console releases. I still occasionally need a portable game for when I go out of town so it's all good but still

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Speaking of which, I am going out of town and need a game. What is a good game? I've played most of them.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Cake Attack posted:

I like my vita, but the big issue is how many of the new games also have better performing console releases. I still occasionally need a portable game for when I go out of town so it's all good but still
This is honestly my biggest issue as well since I'll usually go for the PS4 version.

Cake Attack posted:

Speaking of which, I am going out of town and need a game. What is a good game? I've played most of them.
Senran Kagura Estival Versus

Play it in public on full volume.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
thanks guys, i was already leaning towards the slim anyway. hadnt heard about the proprietary vs. non-proprietary charger thing. my mind is made

as for games, its a birthday gift for my wife. there are some things that im sure i would enjoy, like muramasa and dragons crown. but im trying to avoid shopping for myself, as selfish goons are wont to do. so my list so far is:

persona 4 golden
disgaea 3/4

and thats about all ive got. she likes visual novels, as is evidenced by playing through the ace attorney series since january. i know there are a lot of VN on the vita, but i really dont watch much anime so im at a loss. if amazon is to be believed every single anime game on the vita is a 4.5 star game at the least, so thats not much help. shes already played 999 and VLR multiple times, otherwise i would just get her VLR.

not limited to VN, can i get, say, a personal top 10 list? also im trying to not spend more than ~$50 per title so no obscure imports please

ninja: she enjoyed theaterhythm, both osu games, and taiko stuff on my n3ds. where are we as far as rhythm games go?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Steins;gate is the best VN on Vita imo

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

She'll probably also like the Trails series if she like VNs because they are also animes with millions of words

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Danganronpa 1/2 are a pretty safe bet for someone into Ace Attorney + 999/VLR

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Cake Attack posted:

And on the other side of things, I'd really like them to port Yomawari to the PS4 since it looks like a fun game to play with some of my friends. We enjoy playing creepy video games in my living room after dark. We just take turns at the controls.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

And the Project Diva games/P4 Dancing All Night are really good rhythm games

Superbeat Xonic is supposed to be good too I think but I haven't bought it because it's too expensive to risk it + I don't think I've seen it on sale

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'd say P4G and Gravity Rush are still the best picks for any new Vita owner and unabashed anime liker

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cake Attack posted:

If you want something for shorter bursts TxK is a cool shooter with a great soundtrack made by an insane man who loves llamas maybe too much.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 2, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Superbeat Xonic is supposed to be good too I think but I haven't bought it because it's too expensive to risk it + I don't think I've seen it on sale

If you're in the US it's currently half off on PSN.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Sakurazuka posted:

If you want something for shorter bursts TxK is a cool shooter with a great soundtrack made by an insane man who loves pachyderms maybe too much.
EDF seems like a popular choice for a casual shooter as well.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

Honestly, this is neither true, nor funny, nor even something interesting to post. Please just can that poo poo.

It doesn't have the greatest accuracy, but at the start of the year the yearly "upcoming vita games" thread on neogaf had 200+ entries.

Click to murder your browser: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1164968

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

thanks guys, i was already leaning towards the slim anyway. hadnt heard about the proprietary vs. non-proprietary charger thing. my mind is made

as for games, its a birthday gift for my wife. there are some things that im sure i would enjoy, like muramasa and dragons crown. but im trying to avoid shopping for myself, as selfish goons are wont to do. so my list so far is:

persona 4 golden
disgaea 3/4

and thats about all ive got. she likes visual novels, as is evidenced by playing through the ace attorney series since january. i know there are a lot of VN on the vita, but i really dont watch much anime so im at a loss. if amazon is to be believed every single anime game on the vita is a 4.5 star game at the least, so thats not much help. shes already played 999 and VLR multiple times, otherwise i would just get her VLR.

not limited to VN, can i get, say, a personal top 10 list? also im trying to not spend more than ~$50 per title so no obscure imports please

ninja: she enjoyed theaterhythm, both osu games, and taiko stuff on my n3ds. where are we as far as rhythm games go?
Corpse Party is VN-ish. And this thread gets a little obscure, but apparently focuses on Vita VNs: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705885

As for rhythm games, the Vita has absolutely excellent games with Diva f and Diva f 2nd. Diva X is coming out soon as well. IA/VT colorful is good. There's P4DAN which is fairly eh, and some kind of ninja titty rhythm game that's only good if you really want ninja titties.

Top 10 lists come in various variants:

On the PSN blog there are regular top downloads posts, though they're not great about tagging them well: http://blog.us.playstation.com/tag/top-downloads/

Metacritic has a list with scores by published reviews: http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available/vita/metascore

And one by scores of people who voted on it on MC: http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/available/vita/userscore

The OP of Policenaut's old vita thread has a lot of good info as well: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466426

And what you found on Amazon is true. The vita has a really good solid:shovelware ratio with its games.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

i don't know how old your wife is so she might miss the age range for it but Digimon Cyber Sleuth is a really good game

it's good even if she didn't watch it when she was younger but the nostalgia factor is a pretty big thing for it

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Also far as VNs, Code: Realize seemed to review well if she likes romance stuff.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

i don't know how old your wife is so she might miss the age range for it but Digimon Cyber Sleuth is a really good game

it's good even if she didn't watch it when she was younger but the nostalgia factor is a pretty big thing for it

I know absolutely nothing about the cartoon except that Digimon are the champions, and I am enjoying Cyber Sleuth

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Really Pants posted:

I know absolutely nothing about the cartoon except that Digimon are the champions, and I am enjoying Cyber Sleuth

You should also know that they're monster friends to the boys and girls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYrlSjQyrzY

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Mithaldu posted:

Honestly, this is neither true, nor funny, nor even something interesting to post. Please just can that poo poo.

Guess it's a good thing I gave an actual opinion afterwards

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I am a little disappointed with the new Ultimate digivolution tier that I've just reached, though. Terriermon and Gargomon were so cute :smith:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RanKizama posted:

It's almost like you actually lack the mental capacity to grasp this incredible concept.

dude I don't care if you waste your money on dumb things or not. you like what you like, and you're entitled to that.

what I do care about is encouraging companies to charge you for the rest of a game and then sell you horse armor for more than the cost of the game because "whatever, I like it", because then I have to spend extra money that I don't feel like spending

like, I'm the resident Vita thread Nep apologist, and I gave IFI the middle finger for their bullshit weapon DLC for Nep V2

that's just me, though

you be you, friend. this is not a place for hostility. :)

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Quick question regarding the Vita and PSTV. Is it possible to pull PSone Classic saves off the Vita for use on the PSTV? Alternatively can I just take the memory card out of the vita and pop it into the PSTV when I want to play Final Fantasy games on my TV?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Meridian posted:

Quick question regarding the Vita and PSTV. Is it possible to pull PSone Classic saves off the Vita for use on the PSTV? Alternatively can I just take the memory card out of the vita and pop it into the PSTV when I want to play Final Fantasy games on my TV?

You can just download them directly onto the PSTV. But yeah, swapping memory card works fine too.

Takoluka posted:

:yeah:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm ~8-10 hours away from beating Persona 4 (fyi pretty good game!). What's the next good Vita JRPG to play?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Kirios posted:

I'm ~8-10 hours away from beating Persona 4 (fyi pretty good game!). What's the next good Vita JRPG to play?

Digimon Cyber Sleuth will scratch a very similar itch, as will Trails of Cold Steel.

Cold Steel even has a school year structure, though it isn't day-by-day, and more a story trapping for moving things along.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Kirios posted:

Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Takoluka posted:

that's just me, though

This is pretty much my life motto. I wish we could come to these conclusions faster. You're just a bit more...let's say passionate in your approach. I mean, I get where you're coming from. Just different perspectives I guess.

So, time for an anime yuri kiss and make up scene?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky

I beat Trails on the PC - Is Cold Steel as good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kirios posted:

I beat Trails on the PC - Is Cold Steel as good?

Gameplay is improved, writing is sometimes as good and sometimes not.