Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

dexter6 posted:

Top 3 headset models I should check out, now that I'm ready to spend money on aviation gear?

Small (loud) or not small (not loud) airplane cockpit?

I'm assuming small, so I recommend the Bose A20. I've beat mine up for 5 years and they still look and perform new. Also wearing them for hours is no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Rolo posted:

Small (loud) or not small (not loud) airplane cockpit?

I'm assuming small, so I recommend the Bose A20. I've beat mine up for 5 years and they still look and perform new. Also wearing them for hours is no problem.
Yes, small, C172. Thanks

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

CBJSprague24 posted:

Republic is parading E170s to Rome, NY for storage as part of their bankruptcy. 10+ of them are inbound from CMH, CVG, LGA, PIT, PHL, MCI, etc.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KRME

Word on Airliners.net is apparently there'll be an ERJ waiting to take the pilots back to LGA.

This is my current home airport. I'll have to go check it out tomorrow.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dexter6 posted:

Yes, small, C172. Thanks

I still like my DC's.

Going through some pictures and found this one from...January. Wife turned it into a b&w:

Also, looking for an opinion on a PA 28 140. Not quite the useful load I want but may have stumbled onto one

Tide fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 25, 2016

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tide posted:

I still like my DC's.

Going through some pictures and found this one from...January. Wife turned it into a b&w:

Also, looking for an opinion on a PA 28 140. Not quite the useful load I want but may have stumbled onto one

-DCs are great, if you want to stay froogle and not make a horrible decision for your comfort, they're the way to go.

-Good pic.

-I love 140s. I don't own one but I spent years maintaining them and like them a lot.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dexter6 posted:

Top 3 headset models I should check out, now that I'm ready to spend money on aviation gear?

Bose A20
David Clark Pro-X
Lightspeed whatever

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
From the bro network:

quote:

2. The regionals are having a TERRIBLE time finding pilots which has started a bit of a food fight between several of them. As you know there are signing bonuses and free ATP/CTP training, but they still can't meet the demand. He shared example from several recent new hire classes where 14 people were hired and only 4 actually showed for training because they had been hired away...some are actually leaving for the majors while in regional training. One regional had a class of 10 scheduled and only one person showed up. As a result Republic Airline is parking 30% of their fleet because they simply don' have the pilots to fly them. Several of the academic instructors at my ATP/CTP course were regional pilots and they all shared examples of "green slips", basically extra trips paid at 150% or 200%.

That really makes me laugh for some reason

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rolo posted:

-DCs are great, if you want to stay froogle and not make a horrible decision for your comfort, they're the way to go.

-Good pic.

-I love 140s. I don't own one but I spent years maintaining them and like them a lot.

How much of a dog is that 150HP? I'm not looking to set records here, but some performance would nice. I'm 190, wife is 145, kid is 65 but growing. Not looking at it as a forever plane, mostly to build time in and be somewhat useable for family excursions (fully realizing quite a few fuel stops along the way with 36gal capacity).

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

vessbot posted:

Does he they think that because he accidentally let something illegal slip through the GOM it now supersedes the regs? :wtf:

I think the first thing to know about most FAA inspectors is that they can not and will not ever admit they don't have the answer to something. They are forever the arbiters of truth in aviation, so when you present them with something that they don't know the answer to or a policy that they approved that is clearly illegal the amount of backpedaling is a sight to behold. The real amazing part was after this whole exchange my chief pilot told me "I'll loving fire you if you ever tell me you need 10 hours rest before a flight".

I quit that job after 8 months. gently caress 135 forever and ever amen.

edit: The other really good story about FAA inspector bullshit is one time years ago when I was still instructing I had a Kenyan national for a student who had taken lessons in Kenya and was curious how those hours would, if at all, transfer over to his FAA training. I had no idea, so i called the local FSDO, the same one in charge of the schools 141 certificate, and asked an inspector that question. His response, and I swear on all that is holy this is a verbatim quote: "You're an instructor, you tell me"

MOTHERFUCKER POINT TO THE PART IN 14 CFR ANYTHING WHERE IT HAS GUIDANCE ON THAT poo poo.

VOR LOC fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 26, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FSDOs are basically the regional gates to hell where the demons emerge after being formed from the souls of the damned in Oklahoma City.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Debating resigning this moment and decided to write this post while I cool my head. Just had 10 hours consisting of 5 legs, absolutely no rest, all ASAP quick turns, absolutely no food. I brought it up and was told that I wouldn't be happy unless I had every day off.

I feel sick to my stomach. I think I'm going to bank on the mixture of interviews and resumes bites I've had the last 2 weeks and resign now.

VOR LOC posted:

gently caress 135 forever and ever amen.

E: it's amazing what a sandwich and a nap can accomplish, but seriously, this sucks.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 26, 2016

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

VOR LOC posted:

edit: The other really good story about FAA inspector bullshit is one time years ago when I was still instructing I had a Kenyan national for a student who had taken lessons in Kenya and was curious how those hours would, if at all, transfer over to his FAA training. I had no idea, so i called the local FSDO, the same one in charge of the schools 141 certificate, and asked an inspector that question. His response, and I swear on all that is holy this is a verbatim quote: "You're an instructor, you tell me"

MOTHERFUCKER POINT TO THE PART IN 14 CFR ANYTHING WHERE IT HAS GUIDANCE ON THAT poo poo.

We recently had a FSDO declare that our airline is forbidden from leaving X-Grips (iPad mounts that attach via suction-cup) stuck to the windows on airplanes sitting overnight, because they somehow become "permanently installed equipment" if we do that, which would require an STC.

Since that wasn't silly enough, the FSDO later decided to arbitrarily change the standards for the backup batteries we're required to carry for our iPads, which resulted in a large number of our pilots having to buy new batteries because their current ones didn't have one specific number on the label.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Rolo posted:

Debating resigning this moment and decided to write this post while I cool my head. Just had 10 hours consisting of 5 legs, absolutely no rest, all ASAP quick turns, absolutely no food. I brought it up and was told that I wouldn't be happy unless I had every day off.

I feel sick to my stomach. I think I'm going to bank on the mixture of interviews and resumes bites I've had the last 2 weeks and resign now.

E: it's amazing what a sandwich and a nap can accomplish, but seriously, this sucks.

Certainly only you will know what the right move is but I have a friend that was in a similar situation as you it sounds like. No hard days off, essentially on call 24/7 since he was technically operating 91 and flying junk airplanes. He tore off the band-aid and ended up with two shiny new type ratings and a whole lot more marketability. Good luck!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Twin Cessna crashes into trees and folks rush to help the sole occupant get away from the fire and wreckage. With video:

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/31825374/dramatic-video-shows-plane-crash-in-foley-neighborhood

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 27, 2016

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Twin Cessna crashes into trees and folks rush to help the sole occupant get away from the fire and wreckage. With video:

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/31825374

That link isn't working for me, but I found it directly from their frontpage: http://www.fox10tv.com/clip/12391894/new-video-shows-plane-crash?autostart=true

Pretty dramatic video.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Fixed it, sorry.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

azflyboy posted:

We recently had a FSDO declare that our airline is forbidden from leaving X-Grips (iPad mounts that attach via suction-cup) stuck to the windows on airplanes sitting overnight, because they somehow become "permanently installed equipment" if we do that, which would require an STC.

We just got these at our airline a few weeks ago. Apparently our FSDO has no problem with us leaving them installed. Hooray for FAA consistency I guess.

Are you guys using JeppFD pro or something else for your charts?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

azflyboy posted:

Since that wasn't silly enough, the FSDO later decided to arbitrarily change the standards for the backup batteries we're required to carry for our iPads, which resulted in a large number of our pilots having to buy new batteries because their current ones didn't have one specific number on the label.

The top 10 dumbest conversations I have ever had in my life all revolved around the FAA and EFBs or handheld GPS and what is and isn't ok. The small time FAA guys overseeing small operators are generally not very intelligent guys and they really relish the bureaucratic aspect of their job.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Delta orders 75 CS100s, options for 50 more.

greasyhands posted:

The top 10 dumbest conversations I have ever had in my life all revolved around the FAA and EFBs or handheld GPS and what is and isn't ok. The small time FAA guys overseeing small operators are generally not very intelligent guys and they really relish the bureaucratic aspect of their job.

The now-retired check instructor at the FBO where I finished Instrument had his own interpretation of the FARs and it got to where students were briefed by their CFIs to give the "right answer" because giving the government- and regulator-approved answer from the FAR/AIM was grounds for a berating and/or busting your oral.

I probably don't even want to know what he thought of handheld GPS units or other fandangled electric things like iPad apps (though he would allow you to use DUATS to spit out a flight plan for the dummy XC on your Instrument oral, so who knows).

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

We just got these at our airline a few weeks ago. Apparently our FSDO has no problem with us leaving them installed. Hooray for FAA consistency I guess.

Are you guys using JeppFD pro or something else for your charts?

We're using JeppFD, which is pretty nice, especially with the "download flight plan" option enabled, since it keeps you from having to manually enter the route on every single leg. We've been using it for probably 18 months, and still don't have FAA approval to enable the GPS functions in the app, but supposedly that approval is coming soon.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The NTSB released its factual report on the mid air collision between a Cirrus SR-22 and a Robinson helicopter in the traffic pattern at Frederick airport in Maryland.

The sole Cirrus occupant survived the crash after activating the recovery parachute. Everyone on the helicopter died. The factual report is an interesting read, and the probable cause findings should be released soon:

http://tinyurl.com/z58xocq

Seems like the lone tower controller was pretty busy with ground and airborne traffic. No radar coverage at the airport. And the traffic information system in the Cirrus did not detect the accident helicopter.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
We are just 30 miles or so to the East of them and go over there all the time. Hit the local community pretty hard. Frederick had an incident a few weeks after that where a CFI and student went out on a night xc and CFIT themselves :(

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Boeing 767-300 checkride tonight, with our most neurotic DE! At least I know all his traps, and my relief-fo instructor is cool and will have my back. Lets hope I don't gently caress something up!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Delta orders 75 CS100s, options for 50 more.

Are they going to be renamed CS-9-100s?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Animal posted:

Boeing 767-300 checkride tonight, with our most neurotic DE! At least I know all his traps, and my relief-fo instructor is cool and will have my back. Lets hope I don't gently caress something up!

Good luck man, I just went through that type 6 months ago. After getting beat up in the sim, the type will be one of the easiest things you've ever done.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Republic is also parking the DL ERJs by the end of the year, to be replaced by Endeavor CRJs.

In the opinion of this traveler, gently caress that noise. Why must you treat us this way, Delta?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

greasyhands posted:

Good luck man, I just went through that type 6 months ago. After getting beat up in the sim, the type will be one of the easiest things you've ever done.

I passed, party at the Pink Pony!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

Eyyyyy :cheers:

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Animal posted:

Omg the pink pony, why does that place haunt my dreams. Congrats though! Don't fall asleep in LQT and settle in for that nice long wait for OE.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I figure there's something everyone can sympathize with in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SMMYym982E

I'll now hear controllers saying this type annoyed stuff off mic every time I'm listening from now on. :allears:

I can't get enough of GUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD

e- Please, ATC goons, tell me this is how it is in the Tower/TRACON/Center with a female pilot on frequency, just as it is when I hear female pilots. :roflolmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji10ZXVRsFo

e2- Wow, N700LS really is based out of Columbus. I thought the N number sounded like one of Les Wexner's toys. :stare:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 1, 2016

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- Please, ATC goons, tell me this is how it is in the Tower/TRACON/Center with a female pilot on frequency, just as it is when I hear female pilots. :roflolmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji10ZXVRsFo

Or a woman controller on the landline from another facility.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
There's no way that is real

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

xaarman posted:

There's no way that is real

Yes, its a skit, click through to the video. :v:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
First solo (helicopter) today. Crushed it! Was ready to solo about 6 or so hours ago but left my medical too late and then had some things I needed tests and doctors' letters for which dragged it all out. This was only my third flight back after a 5 month break (and the second of those flights was a terribly rushed and short prospective solo flight which I wish I hadn't bothered with, but not to worry), too.

From the jangling nerves as I realised my instructor was about to send me solo; to the butterflies in my stomach as he unplugged his headset and stepped out of the machine (not before telling me not to make him walk back to base); to the realisation on the first downwind leg that it really is just like all of the other times I've done it, except somehow even better (not to mention the much-improved climb rate holy poo poo); to the feeling of satisfaction, empowerment, and relative relaxation on that final landing approach, it was a pretty sweet flight. :D

Since my initial post in this thread though, I'm thinking commercial isn't going to be the way I go - thanks largely to that article about helicopters which was posted here late last year. I ran it by a guy I know who quit flying helis a couple of years ago to start his own drone company and he confirmed it's all pretty much true. The least attractive part of it all to me is the likelihood of regular moves for career progression. I really don't think I'll enjoy that long-term. Anyway, deciding to do a PPL or RPL doesn't close any doors of course, so I'll just keep flying and if I change my mind down the line, so be it.

EDIT: also holy poo poo did you hear about that Super Puma crash in Norway a few days ago? Main rotor separated in flight for some reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9yrX0gaVug

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 2, 2016

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Here4DaGangBang posted:

First solo (helicopter) today. Crushed it!

Congrats! Why do helicopters fly patterns? Just for predictability in mixing with fixed wing traffic?

quote:

EDIT: also holy poo poo did you hear about that Super Puma crash in Norway a few days ago? Main rotor separated in flight for some reason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9yrX0gaVug

holy poo poo :stare:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

sleepy gary posted:

Congrats! Why do helicopters fly patterns? Just for predictability in mixing with fixed wing traffic?

Thanks! I guess for predictability in general? The airport I fly from is a busy airport with lots of training going on there, so there would be helis who are just doing circuits for training such as myself, as well as helis who are coming and going for scenic flights, aeromedical, and police etc. If everyone was coming in willy nilly it would be chaos. We fly a different circuit altitude to the fixed wings though, we're at 700 and they're at 1000.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Predictability and also, just like an airplane, it creates a common site picture for whatever landing environment you're in. This is especially important in doing confined area landings-- having distance checkpoints you use each time, every time for altitude and speed reference.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
In their latest attempt to draw new pilots to Horizon (apparently six leg days, a four seat lock, and no signing bonus aren't working) Alaska just announced they're doing "guaranteed interviews" for Horizon pilots, on the condition that Alaska be given access to their training and employment records.

The training records are a non-issue (they'd get it via PRIA requests anyway), but the fact that employment records very likely contain information that Alaska is legally prohibited from asking about (marital status, disabilities, national origin, sexual orientation, etc...) raises the possibility of the airline engaging in all kinds of illegal hiring shenanigans that would be very difficult to prove in a court case.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 3, 2016

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Hey, that reminds me that I got a couple emails from QX a couple weeks ago, let's see what they say...

Oh. Maybe they figured out I was already hired and working for the competition? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

azflyboy posted:

In their latest attempt to draw new pilots to Horizon (apparently six leg days, a four seat lock, and no signing bonus aren't working) Alaska just announced they're doing "guaranteed interviews" for Horizon pilots, on the condition that Alaska be given access to their training and employment records.

The training records are a non-issue (they'd get it via PRIA requests anyway), but the fact that employment records very likely contain information that Alaska is legally prohibited from asking about (marital status, disabilities, national origin, sexual orientation, etc...) raises the possibility of the airline engaging in all kinds of illegal hiring shenanigans that would be very difficult to prove in a court case.

Is Alaska still discriminating against cigar smokers?

• Locked thread