Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Thisuck posted:

What do you guys think of using a restricted list for Modern and maybe legacy? I mean, the problematic thing would be if Big Jace becomes restricted, everyone will be splashing blue so they can cast him?

If you restrict cards like JtMS, then the game becomes more luck-based. You can't build your deck to get them with any consistency, so too much of the game comes down to who's lucky enough to draw their singleton broken card.

A restriction only makes sense if you have a card that's only broken when interacting with other copies of itself. Imagine that pros discovered Squadron Hawk is secretly insanely overpowered because of certain ways to exploit its +3 raw card advantage value. You could ban Squadron Hawk, but it would also be reasonable to restrict it to 1 or even 2 ("semi-restricted") copies per deck. At that point it would no longer be broken, since it would give +0 or +1 card advantage instead of +3. Obviously Squadron Hawk isn't powerful enough to need a ban/restriction, but you get the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
It also works in vintage, a format where there's enough ridiculously powerful stuff that restricted cards are a deck building cost instead of auto-include. Every blue deck (and some non-blue) would play 1-of jtms and start having a bunch of games that "end" on t4.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

I would assume fnm's that do this have top heavy payouts and not the pack per win thing.

Yeah it's this. I'd much rather have higher payouts for fewer people, it makes the tournament feel more worth it for winning.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Our store does FNM MTGO style. 4 rounds, 3/0 gets 9 packs, 4/0 gets 18. It saves us from playing in 5 or 6 rounds and being there until midnight or later. It's pretty great as long as everyone is willing to scoop if they're losing in the event of a tie.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Paul Cheon was streaming with what I believe was this 75 just now, looked good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My store does actually the worst prize support for FMN. They charge 6 bucks to play FNM and everyone gets 1 pack and then 2 bucks goes in the prize pool per person. It's awful. You end up playing for virtually nothing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

Ban Chord.

Unban Green Sun's Zenith :getin:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

how did that kid do btw, i missed out on Day 2 cause of work

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Unban Green Sun's Zenith :getin:

I would take this trade immediately.

But honestly I'd rather have both.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 2, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you restrict cards like JtMS, then the game becomes more luck-based. You can't build your deck to get them with any consistency, so too much of the game comes down to who's lucky enough to draw their singleton broken card.

A restriction only makes sense if you have a card that's only broken when interacting with other copies of itself. Imagine that pros discovered Squadron Hawk is secretly insanely overpowered because of certain ways to exploit its +3 raw card advantage value. You could ban Squadron Hawk, but it would also be reasonable to restrict it to 1 or even 2 ("semi-restricted") copies per deck. At that point it would no longer be broken, since it would give +0 or +1 card advantage instead of +3. Obviously Squadron Hawk isn't powerful enough to need a ban/restriction, but you get the idea.
Yeah there are a few cards in Yugioh that are limited for this reason. For example:
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Blaze_Fenix,_the_Burning_Bombardment_Bird
Since this card acts as a material to help make another copy of itself there were OTKs involving summoning three of these in one turn, limiting it fixes that problem. I guess the main question is what is lost by just banning these cards instead of restricting them though. The card would have to be very important to the format for it to be worth it.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 2, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Eh, he changed it up a bit or at least did when I was watching. He won his league with a more up to date b/w control list.

That list from the GP is just weird. I feel like its matchup against bant is great but its matchup against g/b aristocrats is pretty bad outside of the one cleetus. It seems like the tokens matchup could be pretty medium.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

Eh, he changed it up a bit or at least did when I was watching. He won his league with a more up to date b/w control list.

That list from the GP is just weird. I feel like its matchup against bant is great but its matchup against g/b aristocrats is pretty bad outside of the one cleetus. It seems like the tokens matchup could be pretty medium.

I just turned it on to see him win the last game and caught a quick look at what I thought was that list (1 Sorin, 2 Gideon, 2 Ob Nix, 2 Declaration , 4 Secure the Wastes) Do you know what he changed?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

My store does actually the worst prize support for FMN. They charge 6 bucks to play FNM and everyone gets 1 pack and then 2 bucks goes in the prize pool per person. It's awful. You end up playing for virtually nothing.

Mine does $5 entry with I think 1.5 packs per person into the pool, and the pool gets distributed among all the 3-X-X or better, with a a couple of random rolls for 2 packs that can go to anyone who didn't already prize.
You can take $4/pack store credit instead of packs.

But they have a separate "Ferocious" prize pool (they started doing this around with FRF came out) that's $5 to pay into and gets distributed only among those who paid into it in a very top-heavy fashion. I think it's if there's less than 5 people in the pool it all goes to the top person, 5-8 it's 70-30 between the top 2.

That way the super competitive players can have their top-heavy prizing without the casual players getting nothing.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

mcmagic posted:

The store I'm at does the same thing, except $5. Everyone gets 1 pack, top 8 get 2 packs, 1-3 split the remaining amount in store credit. They removed the round cap so we usually end up playing 5 rounds with no cut. It is miserable. I'm only playing there at this point because my friends play there. Nothing like winning out and getting $10 + 2 packs. Prior to this it was capped at 4 rounds and paid out based on record with 4-0 getting 10 packs, 3-0-1 getting 6, 3-0 getting 4, and everyone else getting 1 pack.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sickening posted:

Its still a really popular format. Locally, we are starting to get back to pre-pro tour oath of the gatewatch numbers. Of course not having a modern PT might have some effect, but have GP's, opens, and local events is enough for people. It might even be better since WOTC won't need to "shake" anything up, since they don't know how to do this correctly.

I'm not disputing the popularity (although I know anecdotally Eldrazi actually brought a bunch of dudes out around here to play modern), I'm saying more in terms of innovation and seeing new decks. I mean even stuff like the SCG Opens and whatnot don't seem to drive the diverse deck evolution that the pro tours do, so I'm worried with it no longer being a PT format, you'll just see people playing the same decks, forever. Not saying there was tons of stuff before that came out new, but stuff like lantern control and grishoalbrand seemed to at least be new lines for deckbuilding from the last couple of years (not to mention eldrazi which is pretty much dead as a deck now).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

He's now playing a fairly poor looking Grixis deck. Against Tom Martel in the 0-2 bracket.

Jake Cheon is the MVP right now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Considering where they're at now I think it's really funny that lsv was once best known for being a member of Cheontourage.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I broke out some of my old Tempest basics recently and started using them in all my decks. I've never had so many "wow, those are cool! What set are they from? Are they for trade?" comments in all my time playing the game.

Full art is so yesterday now. Vintage lands are the future.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Xaerael posted:

I broke out some of my old Tempest basics recently and started using them in all my decks. I've never had so many "wow, those are cool! What set are they from? Are they for trade?" comments in all my time playing the game.

Since when is tempest vintage?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Xaerael posted:

To be fair, Tempest islands are some of the best looking islands ever printed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sickening posted:

Since when is tempest vintage?

It did come out almost 20 years ago.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Some Numbers posted:

It did come out almost 20 years ago.

I suddenly feel old... and nerdy.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Xaerael posted:

All of the lands I use are either mirage or ice age, although there is a specific swamp from portal I'd love to get 15-20 of.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Thisuck posted:

To be fair, Tempest mountains are some of the best looking mountains ever printed.

Just gonna co-opt this post here, thanks.

That's another little thing I miss about no more core sets- far fewer chances to see favorite land arts re-appear. Also I still need to track down a foil stack of Urza's Saga Plains or the closest non-Duel Decks approximation I can find.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm a freak who loves lands with the old angled T symbol on them. Don't know what it is, but I love those drat things.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Whenever I build a mono-red deck I sleeve up these:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Euro and APAC lands are undoubtedly the best lands because you get to tell stories about your trips to those places while you use them.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

The correct choice for any sort of mono R deck is the ugliest white bordered mountains you can find. Preferably mismatched.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Static Equilibrium posted:

The correct choice for any sort of mono R deck is the ugliest white bordered mountains you can find. Preferably mismatched.

I did that once during THeros standard when the the sub-$20 mon-red aggro deck was briefly really good, and I didn't use sleeves. Schoolyard style! :smugdragon:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Riffle shuffling unsleeved cards without a playmat really tilts some people on a visceral level even if they know there's no card in your deck worth more than $3 and even those cards aren't going to hold value when they rotate.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Entropic posted:

Riffle shuffling unsleeved cards without a playmat really tilts some people on a visceral level even if they know there's no card in your deck worth more than $3 and even those cards aren't going to hold value when they rotate.

Riffle shuffling sleeve cards looks painful :aaa:

On that note, if a person is trying to riffle shuffle my deck, and I don't want them to do that, but they don't want to cooperate, am I able to call a judge for this?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Entropic posted:

Whenever I build a mono-red deck I sleeve up these:

A good mountain, but my choice will always be:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Thisuck posted:

Riffle shuffling sleeve cards looks painful :aaa:

On that note, if a person is trying to riffle shuffle my deck, and I don't want them to do that, but they don't want to cooperate, am I able to call a judge for this?

Yeah, you can request someone to not riffle shuffle. I've also never seen anyone riffle someone else's deck, but there's always going to be someone who tries.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Yawgmoth posted:

All of the lands I use are either mirage or ice age, although there is a specific swamp from portal I'd love to get 15-20 of.

Fire me a PM with the Portal Swamp. I bought up a huge collection that had a bunch of Portal lands in, and I'm likely to just dump the lot on my LGSs for drafting/sealed stock. If I have them, they're yours.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Yawgmoth posted:

A good mountain, but my choice will always be:

The new go to Mountain is now the vaginaland.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

keeblerdrow posted:

Goes with Pen Island.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

keeblerdrow posted:

Jesus Christ why does it have a clitoris?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Jonked posted:

How else do you lube up the outer gates?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lawnie posted:

I'm a freak who loves lands with the old angled T symbol on them. Don't know what it is, but I love those drat things.

I love that sideways T tap symbol.

I always sleeve up matching unlimited or revised basics. They just look so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Jonked posted:

The city of Ghirapur is a living thing.

• Locked thread