Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
What are the "MUST PLAY!!" scenarios for CoC 1920s, through the various editions?

We've done all the ones in the back of the (6th ed.) book, and I've bought The Complete Masks, albeit it I'd like to maybe run a few more "episodic" scenarios before I dive on into that beast. Reasonable-length campaigns would perhaps be ok - I'm hoping to culminate with Masks and perhaps Orient/Mountains.

edit - also quoting so it doesn't get missed:

Helical Nightmares posted:

-Awesome info post!-

moths posted:

That's a really great post! The Delta Green might be a bit too "ripped from the headlines" but I'll try to give it a listen.

There's a few news bits / announcements recently: A new licensed videogame in the vein of Dark Corners of the Earth, organized play starts later this month, and Sandy Petersen is writing a Free RPG Day adventure. (If you're on the mailing list you'll also get the RPG Day adventure as a download.)

Yoshimo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yoshimo posted:

What are the "MUST PLAY!!" scenarios for CoC 1920s, through the various editions?

We've done all the ones in the back of the (6th ed.) book, and I've bought The Complete Masks, albeit it I'd like to maybe run a few more "episodic" scenarios before I dive on into that beast. Reasonable-length campaigns would perhaps be ok - I'm hoping to culminate with Masks and perhaps Orient/Mountains.

edit - also quoting so it doesn't get missed:

Masks is good but even more of a meat grinder than Horror. Both Horror and Masks have characters whose deaths are the inciting incident, so try to introduce those characters in one-shots before hand so the players have as much reason as the characters they play to go into action.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hey thanks guys!

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Speaking of Masks, is it still possible to get the Masks Companion any more, or am I just going to have to wait for the Kickstarter to be released?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Yoshimo posted:

Speaking of Masks, is it still possible to get the Masks Companion any more, or am I just going to have to wait for the Kickstarter to be released?

You can find it on the internet (but no longer at yog-sothoth.com) but it's definitely :filez: at this point.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 23, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is it? I was almost certain it was a fan production.

E: LOL of course they pulled it and made a Kickstarter to give it back.

moths fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 23, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I hope after giving them :20bux: X 15 the Delta Green folks deliver.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
They will, but the original timeline was wildly optimistic. I have backed other ArcDream kickstarters, and while they have always been late, they have delivered and the product has been worth it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Sionak posted:

They will, but the original timeline was wildly optimistic. I have backed other ArcDream kickstarters, and while they have always been late, they have delivered and the product has been worth it.

Either way, for starting a lot later, they're still going to come out around the same time as CoC 7th Edition which is remarkable for two reasons. One, it's amazing that they are actually able to get CoC 7th to print despite the actions of old Chaosium. Two, that's still an impressively short timeline to get a Delta Green from Kickstarter to backers' hands.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Arc Dream has already released a 50 page quick start PDF with the core rules and a starter scenario for free: http://www.delta-green.com/2016/02/download-delta-green-need-to-know/

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Yeah. that's the other thing. The 50 page QuickStart book is really nice.

If you got the "Everything" or "Everything digital" tiers, you have quite a few pdfs already to read through while we wait for the Agent's Handbook. Most are short stories or articles, but they're still really cool and I have enjoyed each one. The Detwiller and Glancy short stories in particular were great. I can't wait to use the King in Yellow play and the official DG response to it in an upcoming game. There's also three adventures (Kali Ghati, Last Things Last, and Lover in the Ice). And something like 12-15 pregens that are ready to go.

It took years of prep (discussions, writing, playtests) before they launched the DG kickstarter. While the Delta Green publishing schedule has never been rapid-fire, the people involved are seriously dedicated to it.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 24, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Handler's Screen for Delta Green has been released to backers.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Going to be diving into the inaugural season of Masks of Nyarlathothep tomorrow. Any veteran Keepers able to kindly share any top tips/twop twips?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Delta Green Agent's Handbook has been released to backers. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I thought the Cthulhu thread should know.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Delta Green Agent's Handbook has been released to backers. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I thought the Cthulhu thread should know.

It's a really nice book, and the big list of federal agencies at the back of the original Delta Green has been replaced by a somewhat shorter list with a greater focus on what being part of the federal agency means for a DG agent. There's also added subsystems for requisitions and government oversight, like a less on-the-nose Laundry Files, which is an idea I support, although I suspect the execution may be flawed. My main complaint about it is that it's a bit thin. After it has described the mechanical systems, most of what remains are the descriptions of federal agencies. The strength of Delta Green has always been its fiction, and the Agent's Handbook is basically the game without the fiction, so as a whole it's a bit dull.

The art is gorgeous.

There's also a description of a rat vomiting at one point. Rats can't regurgitate or vomit. 0/10 would not buy again.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

LatwPIAT posted:

There's also a description of a rat vomiting at one point. Rats can't regurgitate or vomit. 0/10 would not buy again.

But can a rat that has been taken over by some non-Euclidean horror regurgitate? It might.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Are they going to be shipping the screen/quickstart to backers soon?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LatwPIAT posted:

That's how you know there's something funny going on, d'uh. If you don't pick up on these obvious clues then it's your own fault when you get eaten by a deep rats.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Latest update is that the screen and Agent's Handbook will be ready in July for physical delivery. I'm old school enough not to really be into "paging through" a PDF to actually read it cover to cover.

Probably gonna be a while before I get my big tome of secrets in the form of the Case Officer's book. :smith:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Get some Delta Green fiction for pay what you want today: http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2016/04/delta-greens-latest-operation-international-tabletop-day/

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Thanks for the heads up! I paid what I wanted and got Tales from Failed Anatomies to throw on my kindle. What I wanted was probably not a lot, admittedly, but I gotta pay to get into a new apartment soon. I will salve my miserly conscience with the huge contribution to the recent TTG Kickstarter.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Has anyone had a chance to run DG with the Agent's Handbook yet and give an impression? I refrained from backing and wanted to wait for reviews since I already have quite a few cthulhu-based rpgs. Is the system good enough to be worth purchasing over just running the fluff with something else?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

neaden posted:

Has anyone had a chance to run DG with the Agent's Handbook yet and give an impression? I refrained from backing and wanted to wait for reviews since I already have quite a few cthulhu-based rpgs. Is the system good enough to be worth purchasing over just running the fluff with something else?

IMO yes. Having rules to reflect the strain that crumbles an agent's personal life as he clings to it to preserve sanity alone is pretty inspired.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

neaden posted:

I think so. I have run Last Things Last from the Need to Know quickstart twice now. I did both as one-shots, so I didn't really get to see how the rules for bonds (and their inevitable crumbling) work in play. Hopefully I will get to try that soon with a short campaign.

However, I was impressed by how smoothly it plays. The system is tuned to be pretty lethal and unforgiving without (in my opinion) feeling bullshit unfair. At least, for a Cthulhu game.

The authors clearly thought hard before adding anything to the BRP base for the game, so the additional rules either make things play a little more easily (matched dice for criticals, Lethality) or reinforce the intended mood (also Lethality, becoming Adapted to violence or helplessness).

You don't have to take my word for it, though. You can just grab Need to Know for free and try out Last Things Last yourself: http://www.delta-green.com/2016/02/download-delta-green-need-to-know/

Or listen to the RPPR campaign, which shows off Bonds very nicely: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/tag/gods-teeth/

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sionak posted:

Or listen to the RPPR campaign, which shows off Bonds very nicely: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/tag/gods-teeth/

It's not full of people constantly breaking the mood with stupid jokes, is it? That drives me nuts with most of the rpg podcasts I've tried listening to.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

It's not full of people constantly breaking the mood with stupid jokes, is it? That drives me nuts with most of the rpg podcasts I've tried listening to.

God's Teeth is some of the most atmospheric Call of Cthulhu you'll ever get to listen to. It's a slow burn that builds to a deafening crescendo of tension by the time you get to God's Eye.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

God's Teeth is some of the most atmospheric Call of Cthulhu you'll ever get to listen to. It's a slow burn that builds to a deafening crescendo of tension by the time you get to God's Eye.

Agree totally.

Also God's Teeth 4 gives you an insight into the buisness of legalized weed. :D

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Question for people who've run CoC: what's the pulpiest you've ever run a game? Having listened to the whole of RPPR's Masks of Nyalathotep campaign, a lot of the time they were able to outright defeat the Mythos, even if they did lose a few characters.

Is it something that you would tell your players beforehand if you want/expect them to be able to take on the Mythos head-on and survive? Are/were there any rules modifications you made to specifically allow this? (I know Trail of Cthulhu does have a separate set of "Pulp" rules)

I'm sort of thinking of a game where instead of the tip-of-the-spear investigator where you end up having to stop the Mythos because there's no time and you're the only one who knows, etc etc, the players are instead the "veil-out" squad, or the people recruited from Green Beret/FBI HRT/Seal Team/Force Recon to destroy and clean-up the mess after a site has been identified and zero'd in.

EDIT: Or in a 1920s/30s, that you're the team from the Office of Naval Intelligence that busted down the doors of Innsmouth, tommy guns in hand, after the story broke. Gangster Squad, except Sean Penn turns into a Shoggoth at the end.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 3, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

The main Agent sounds passingly like H. Jon Benjamin, so... I'm going in to this expecting it to end in a raaampaaaage!

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Though, for Pope Guilty, it is still a recorded game rather than a radio show, so yes, there are players making jokes or pop culture references on occasion. The game as a whole is still very bleak and atmospheric and extremely Delta Green in tone.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Question for people who've run CoC: what's the pulpiest you've ever run a game? Having listened to the whole of RPPR's Masks of Nyalathotep campaign, a lot of the time they were able to outright defeat the Mythos, even if they did lose a few characters.

Is it something that you would tell your players beforehand if you want/expect them to be able to take on the Mythos head-on and survive? Are/were there any rules modifications you made to specifically allow this? (I know Trail of Cthulhu does have a separate set of "Pulp" rules)

I'm sort of thinking of a game where instead of the tip-of-the-spear investigator where you end up having to stop the Mythos because there's no time and you're the only one who knows, etc etc, the players are instead the "veil-out" squad, or the people recruited from Green Beret/FBI HRT/Seal Team/Force Recon to destroy and clean-up the mess after a site has been identified and zero'd in.

EDIT: Or in a 1920s/30s, that you're the team from the Office of Naval Intelligence that busted down the doors of Innsmouth, tommy guns in hand, after the story broke. Gangster Squad, except Sean Penn turns into a Shoggoth at the end.

I think this is a "know/ask your players" type thing. Both extremes are really fun as long as everyone is on board.

So I'd say - go ahead and ask. How pulpy of a game do they want? What do they consider pulpy - lasting victories or full fledged Indiana Jones with weird monsters?

I think a lot of players would be comfortable with the assumption that they can defeat ghouls or deep ones if they're smart. That's without going full Arkham Horror where a gravedigger beats a shoggoth to death, though.

The pulpiest game I ever ran was one where I (inexplicably in retrospect) decided to use World of Darkness rules. It was the only Cthulhu based campaign I'd done where there were no PC fatalities because nWoD characters are pretty sturdy. I don't recommend doing that; I didn't consider it an especially successful experiment.

My advice even for running pulpy CoC would be to keep combats short and dangerous; CoC type games are more about the frenzy than breaking out miniatures and taking a lot of rounds.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Way I see it, more things in the Mythos are killable(or at least capable of being subdued in some manner) than not, and of those few things that aren't(mostly "gods" or oddities like a Colour Out of Space), well I'd say most of them are unsuitable for RPG usage, but then that's due to me believing that Horror is so difficult to pull off in a RPG context that it isn't worth bothering to try 99% of the time(of course I also think that BRP is kinda an overrated piece of mediocrity that barely functions as a usable system, or at least the branch that Call of Cthulhu uses)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I actually got my 7e books, all ten pounds of it!

Not going to lie- there were times I was skeptical that it would ever come.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

In order to defeat the mythos in Masks of Nyarlathotep, the characters frequently had to use the mythos. They used Yithian technology and cultists, various spells, made deals with ghouls and other unsavory beings, and accessed the Dreamlands. They became what they were fighting to a certain degree.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

clockworkjoe posted:

Yithian technology

Particularly clever investigators will also seize upon the fact that one piece of Yithian technology in particular can break certain aspects of the adventure...

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

neaden posted:

Yes. The "gently caress up your life" mechanic is great, particularly if your players really get into it.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Agree totally.

Also God's Teeth 4 gives you an insight into the buisness of legalized weed. :D

And shows you how hosed the "chosen" agents are. Man, I knew DG agents are hosed, but not this hosed.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013
Here's another game for the C'Thulhu loving goons:

http://www.cthulhurealms.com by Tasty Minstrel Games (digital version by White Wizard Games)

Cthulhu Realms is the crazier and creepier cousin of the popular sci-fi deckbuilding game Star Realms. In Cthulhu Realms, each player tries to drive their opponent insane or have more sanity than their opponent when the deck of cards runs out.

Cthulhu Realms is a deckbuilding game (like Dominion; Ascension) that's closely related to Star Realms. It has the same "direct pvp combat" as Star Realms, and thus doesn't muck around with victory points that are hard to keep track of and/or dilute your deck of cards.

It's pretty cheap, coming in at $20 MSRP, but I've seen it as cheap as $10 on miniature market. It also recently added a free to download digital version that's currently available on Android and iOS, with a single IAP ($5) to unlock the full game and be able to play online. Steam is "coming soon".

Features:
- high replayability
- cheap and portable
- high quality cards with comical artwork

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I get that a lot of Cthulhu-related things are either public domain or freely shared, but I'm a little tired of Cthulhu-related reskins of popular games as a lazy cash-in.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It happens with just about anything that gets big, though. If anything just consider it a good sign for the IP's health.

More presence improves the chances of catalyzing the next larval-stage Ligotti's or Campbell's blossoming into a full-on horror writer. As hard as my eyes rolled at Cthulhu Monopoly, if it prompts even one bookish kid anywhere to look a little deeper, it's probably a net positive.

The other side of the coin is that said kid might just avoid it entirely - because they got the impression it's all silly stuff and John Kovalik illustrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

moths posted:

It happens with just about anything that gets big, though. If anything just consider it a good sign for the IP's health.

More presence improves the chances of catalyzing the next larval-stage Ligotti's or Campbell's blossoming into a full-on horror writer. As hard as my eyes rolled at Cthulhu Monopoly, if it prompts even one bookish kid anywhere to look a little deeper, it's probably a net positive.

The other side of the coin is that said kid might just avoid it entirely - because they got the impression it's all silly stuff and John Kovalik illustrations.

Solid points for and against. Speaking of cash-ins that might have a lot of popularity, there's always Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu.