Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

I Am Crake posted:

This is the second one, :( and this one is outside of the two weeks. The other one was obviously faulty - it crashed almost always when trying to fetch an open/save dialog.

This one works mostly completely fine but then suddenly freezes out of nowhere when I'm using Facebook or something.

Edit - I called Apple and they ran me through the thing where you boot it up holding CMD alt P R, so I tried that.

Man, you've got some lovely luck. This is pointing to hardware trouble again IMO. Check to see what got logged in Console.app around the time of each freeze, it may give you a hint what's up.

Also, just as a wild idea, do the crashes happen on battery power or when you're plugged in? Two in a row makes me wonder if you have dirty power or a bad ground that is loving poo poo up (I've had this happen; generally it just causes trackpad weirdness once the case builds up a charge, but who's to say it couldn't also bork your RAM or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I could swear there was talk of a 24" 4K iMac. Did I make this up?
There's a 4K version of the 21.5".

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cyne posted:

Shake was actually still working up to... Mavericks, I think. Fun to mess around with, and I still wonder sometimes how the high-end compositing market would look today if Apple hadn't trashed it.

It would still be nuke even if shake was around. Pricing might be different though. Just having it be Mac only is a huge death knell for any VFX tool.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Shaocaholica posted:

It would still be nuke even if shake was around. Pricing might be different though. Just having it be Mac only is a huge death knell for any VFX tool.

Ah, yeah, true enough. They definitely would've had to maintain the Linux version and possibly port to Windows to keep Shake viable for VFX. I'm guessing Apple being unwilling to do either of those things is the reason why they dumped it.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

There's a 4K version of the 21.5".

And it came too late for me to buy one for my dad. So I got him a non-Retina 21.5", with 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. Because I was feeling $1800 generous, not $4000 generous to get him exactly what I already got a few months earlier.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kuroshi posted:

And it came too late for me to buy one for my dad. So I got him a non-Retina 21.5", with 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. Because I was feeling $1800 generous, not $4000 generous to get him exactly what I already got a few months earlier.

When I bought my parents their Mac one and half years ago for Christmas, it more of a present to myself. I haven't had a call from them in the vein of "Why is my computer not working?" or "Can you help me get this printer/hard drive/camera working on the computer?"

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I still do semi regular tech support even after switching my dad to a Mac, mainly because it's apparently still a challenge coming from Windows. Just recently, he randomly decided to change his 1Password database password to something which he can't remember, and set the clue to the old password. Which is fine anyway, because he still continued to use his old Paste Everything Into A Plaintext File On The Desktop and Use Variations Of The Same Simple Passwords Everywhere methods after I set him up with 1Password in the first place.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I want to get my mom a Macbook because her current laptop is over 5 years old, and was already a budget shitter when she bought it, which means it's ultra shot these days. Aside from basic Internet/e-mail usage, she mainly plays mom games (e.g. stack 3, escape the room mystery types) on it, and I feel like the App Store would probably be Mom Game Mecca for her (with the added benefit of each game not coming packaged with 2 or 3 bullshit toolbar/antivirus addons that I simply can't talk her out of installing.) On the other hand, I feel like she falls into the category of people who don't even really need a computer to get things done these days; anything she does on her computer can be done on a smartphone now, and likely with even more ease than using a trackpad/keyboard. I'm thinking an iPhone 6+ would be a perfect solution, barring than, an iPad (but even that would probably be excessive.)

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Sounds a bit like the overkill situation may apply to my dad as well. He now mostly spends his time playing games on his Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 Nook edition. His only minor annoyance is with his favorite word puzzle game regularly displaying 15 second full screen video with sound ads at the start of each game session. Or confusion as to why another free game from the Play Store would need the device ID privilege, which is helpfully explained to support asking for things like your call history and current calling status. Android Problems.

He still uses the Mac for computer things, including his email, but he does less and less of that lately, often letting email pile up for weeks before sorting it. And this can be a Real Problem, since he has a Facebook account with dozens of friends, and never turned off all the email notification crap they send by default, so his account piles up with dozens to hundreds of new post, new reply, and "follow this crap" type messages that he feels obligated to read. It is, after all, his only contact with most of our extended family, and about half of his former coworkers/friends since he retired over three years ago.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Chromebooks are a decent option in my experience. My parents just need to read news websites, watch BBC iPlayer, check email and do online banking stuff. Replaced their old Windows XP Dell a couple of years back with a Chromebox and a Chromebook and bought them a printer that linked to Cloud Print and they've just gotten on and used it with no real issues ever since.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

kuroshi posted:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 Nook edition

I thought you were being snarky but that's actually a product. With that name. That someone sells and markets. And people buy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pipebomb posted:

And people buy.

Well...

For content - it would be really nice if Apple provided a way for remote assistance to be given on iOS devices. Even if it had to be user-initiated and only contacted the remote assistance service already defined in an MDM profile or whatever to try and stop it turning into the next fake tech support scam platform.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That sounds like a problem waiting to happen and I'm sure will never happen.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Thanks Ants posted:

Well...

For content - it would be really nice if Apple provided a way for remote assistance to be given on iOS devices. Even if it had to be user-initiated and only contacted the remote assistance service already defined in an MDM profile or whatever to try and stop it turning into the next fake tech support scam platform.

If you have another remote iOS device from a spouse/friend/family, you can remote assistant over FaceTime using the additional device.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Well...

The remote management features added in iOS 9.3 make this seem like a possibility for iOS 10.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

pipebomb posted:

I thought you were being snarky but that's actually a product. With that name. That someone sells and markets. And people buy.

I have one myself, only it wasn't sold with the Nook branding and software, only the NU suffix on its model number. Mine was $170 in September of 2014, and his was marked down closer to $100 in 2015 or so.

Maybe some day if he finds he needs a faster tablet, I can recommend the Shield K1 to him, and teach him all about migrating his crap over. Certainly, if he ever needs the room for apps, his 8GB of space probably won't allow for migrating apps over to the SD card slot, since he's stuck on KitKat.

As for OS X software issues, I've got precious little at the moment. Even greatest Android dev platform I've had to work on. Only thing I can't do on it is Windows Phone dev, so I just run Visual Studio on my Windows machine.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm using a monitor in portrait mode and I have an application that has too many menus to fit all of my menu bar icons. Where do the ones that don't fit go? How can I access them while that application is active on that monitor?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Weedle posted:

I'm using a monitor in portrait mode and I have an application that has too many menus to fit all of my menu bar icons. Where do the ones that don't fit go? How can I access them while that application is active on that monitor?

Dunno about specifically your problem with portrait mode, but as someone with LOTS of menu bar items, I really like https://www.macbartender.com/

It works fantastically and lets me put all of my "poo poo I pretty much never click but still want around" in a special side menu and has really cleaned up my menu in general.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

You got a monitor working in portrait mode? When I try that with my second monitor everything turns to a garbled mess.

And voicing another vote for Bartender. Perhaps hiding the system icons will leave more room for the application ones. I think the app has a month free trial.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

You got a monitor working in portrait mode? When I try that with my second monitor everything turns to a garbled mess.

And voicing another vote for Bartender. Perhaps hiding the system icons will leave more room for the application ones. I think the app has a month free trial.

:smug:

I'll check out Bartender, thanks. I ended up just mapping a keyboard shortcut to the thing I needed the icon for, but if this keeps being a problem I'll give it a spin.

Weedle fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 2, 2016

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I'm always weary of stuff like bartender and like Unclutter. I dunno, I guess I just worry if they are hurting my comp's performance in some way.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

I'm always weary of stuff like bartender and like Unclutter. I dunno, I guess I just worry if they are hurting my comp's performance in some way.

The actual bartender at the bar hurts performance way more than that tiny app does. Just ask my girlfriend.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

That's like the weirdest loving thing to worry about.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bill Barber posted:

Maybe he's traumatized by Unsanity and Application Enhancer.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

To be fair, there's a lot of crappy software out there that, given its function, shouldn't impact system performance, but does anyway. Comma.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

There are three things I install on all new computers (and recommend to others):

Alfred
Bartender
Moom

They've never impacted performance in any way I can tell.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Why do you need Alfred with how command space finder works nowadays? I thought that pretty much ripped how Alfred worked.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Another vote for Bartender. Also Display Menu, Alfred, 1Password, iStat Menus.

I love these mini-recommendation threads. I didn't know about Moom.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jw19tl6ypb2lzmw/screenshot_90.png

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 2, 2016

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Actual question:

Is there a way to add a shortcut to a Photos album to your Finder sidebar or the Dock? Like if I want to just drag and drop a photo out into a document or slack or tweet or whatever?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Why do you need Alfred with how command space finder works nowadays? I thought that pretty much ripped how Alfred worked.

The main reason for me is easy automation. I managed to create an automation object in less than a minute that in essence maps ⌘-L to "lock" the screen (I can't stand the hot space to kick off the screen-saver). Also the settings are very powerful and allow more customization with the Spotlight Index than native Spotlight. I've actually made ⌘-space the hotkey for Alfred instead of Spotlight.

Go look it over, if it's not for you then keep using Spotlight. Not everyone needs the features Alfred brings to the table.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pipebomb posted:

Actual question:

Is there a way to add a shortcut to a Photos album to your Finder sidebar or the Dock? Like if I want to just drag and drop a photo out into a document or slack or tweet or whatever?
Like as a temporary drop area or something? Not sure about Finder stuff, there might be something with the Dock but I'm not at my Mac to play with it.

Otherwise there's some third party stuff, Dropzone and Yoink off the top of my head, but I think there's at least a few others too.

Edit: Filepane is another similar one in a sense, but doesn't seem to work in the same way from the description.

japtor fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 3, 2016

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
I meant more like how in a dialog box you have all of your photos and albums. If you could just drag one of those to the dock or sidebar and access it easily, it would be awesome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Don't use Photos to organize your weird internet images and just put them in a folder.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Bill Barber posted:

Don't use Photos to organize your weird internet images and just put them in a folder.

Too late man. Im stuck in this walled garden and all my Internets are linked and synched and poo poo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Even better solution: delete the ResponseImages album and never look back.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

withak posted:

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

withak posted:

But

Only registered members can see post attachments!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Tried making a smart folder in the Finder? If there’s a way to do that with the images/album then I think it's possible to put that on the sidebar.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

pipebomb posted:

I meant more like how in a dialog box you have all of your photos and albums. If you could just drag one of those to the dock or sidebar and access it easily, it would be awesome.

Steve is weeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

tuyop posted:

Steve is weeping.

It's his fault we're in this iCloud bullshit mess. Should have bought Dropbox and made Finder Great Again.