Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Ripperljohn posted:

Think i might get a Nereus just to have them all, but can't figure out what that one is supposed to do, wish they would've given it the ability to warp cloaked aswell.
It's a cheapo blockade runner - aligns and warps quite fast while also having enough PG/CPU to fit an MWD, an improved cloak, and a bit of tank. Basically, of the T1 gallente haulers, you've got the Iteron for just hauling as much general stuff as you possibly can, the Miasmos for hauling ore, the Kryos for hauling minerals, the Epithal for hauling PI materials, and the Nereus for hauling smaller amounts of general stuff as quickly and securely as you possibly can with a T1 hauler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

LemonDrizzle posted:

It's a cheapo blockade runner - aligns and warps quite fast while also having enough PG/CPU to fit an MWD, an improved cloak, and a bit of tank. Basically, of the T1 gallente haulers, you've got the Iteron for just hauling as much general stuff as you possibly can, the Miasmos for hauling ore, the Kryos for hauling minerals, the Epithal for hauling PI materials, and the Nereus for hauling smaller amounts of general stuff as quickly and securely as you possibly can with a T1 hauler.

I meant the nestor :doh:

No idea why they renamed those industrials though. I liked my itty.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

A White Guy posted:

Tell me about the current political situation in EVE, or alternatively, why I should spend :20bux: a month to humor my deep seated sense of masochism.
you shouldn't.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Hello chill thread.

I managed to find my original eve guy (from a 14 day trial back in 2011) and decided to sub him. Currently training towards mining barges and Exhumers because VG has been so :shobon: but I'm wondering what to train him for after that. Is it worthwhile trying to get into an Orca/Rorqual?

nessin posted:

Also I'd love to fly a Black Ops or Marauder for PvP, and the thought of losing a ship that costs upwards of 2x the value of a PLEX is much harder to swallow than 2b isk earned in game even if it took me several hours.

I've got a pretty nice 1400mm arty Panther fit somewhere that hits out to over 100km and can zonk frigates/destroyers before they know what's happening and does pretty well against cruisers. If anything gets too close you just MJD and moonwalk out to a safe. I'll dig it out when I get home (if I can find it). I might also try and put a passive targeter for extra :jihad:

dragonstalking
Oct 6, 2013

by Shine

Krogort posted:

How is fighter aggro managed now that they are expensive and die as soon as a NPC look at them ?

You blitz faster so who cares if you lose a 4mil every 4-5 mission sites. If you're super worried, take out the NPC frigs first.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
I think I'm going to start a new character and join up with RVCMF because right now I'm probably a month into the game with Goonfleet and I have no idea how anything works outside of fleet pings. Maybe I'll be able to learn some new things with chill dudes in high sec without getting blown up trying to do things by myself.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've taken up highsec burner blitzing recently. It's great because I can blitz a mission over my morning coffee and then go to work. I haven't quite yet sat down and gone full autismal and tried to get as much isk as I can in an hour yet, but right now I have two guys with standings, so I can actually cycle quite a few missions every 4h before I have to worry about dropping too low (and I have the safety net of the second guy for repairing the first guy's standings if that happens). I'm also in the process of upgrading my tengu mission guy to a barghest, and my frigates-only burner guy into a machariel. Then we'll see some real blitzing.

Yes, to invest in the ships/implants for really aggressive burner missions is expensive, but if you don't go all-in on implants it's not too bad. Spending 250 mil on a speciality-fit hawk that can make me 25 mil with a 5 minute mission is a-ok with me.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ripperljohn posted:

I meant the nestor :doh:

No idea why they renamed those industrials though. I liked my itty.

The primary use for a nestor right now is to eject it and use it to swap out your fitting from a titan/sc.

It's utility as a repping platform is kinda meh since it can't jump to covert cynos.

Crell posted:

I think I'm going to start a new character and join up with RVCMF because right now I'm probably a month into the game with Goonfleet and I have no idea how anything works outside of fleet pings. Maybe I'll be able to learn some new things with chill dudes in high sec without getting blown up trying to do things by myself.

If you plan on continuing in the nullsec route highsec literally has nothing to teach you. PVP is a whole different animal when bubbles and bombs aren't a part of the equation. It's why we generally suggest people come out to null straight away. All highsec does is build bad habits.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 2, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

CommonShore posted:

I've taken up highsec burner blitzing recently. It's great because I can blitz a mission over my morning coffee and then go to work. I haven't quite yet sat down and gone full autismal and tried to get as much isk as I can in an hour yet, but right now I have two guys with standings, so I can actually cycle quite a few missions every 4h before I have to worry about dropping too low (and I have the safety net of the second guy for repairing the first guy's standings if that happens). I'm also in the process of upgrading my tengu mission guy to a barghest, and my frigates-only burner guy into a machariel. Then we'll see some real blitzing.

Yes, to invest in the ships/implants for really aggressive burner missions is expensive, but if you don't go all-in on implants it's not too bad. Spending 250 mil on a speciality-fit hawk that can make me 25 mil with a 5 minute mission is a-ok with me.

Don't do that, that Hawk fit is stupid. This does exactly the same job in the same amount of time for much less ISK:

[Harpy, serpentis burner]
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Tracking Enhancer II

Medium C5-L Emergency Shield Overload I
Small Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 400
Peripheral Compact Target Painter
Dread Guristas Kinetic Deflection Amplifier

Light Neutron Blaster II, Null S
[empty high slot]

Small Hybrid Locus Coordinator II

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LemonDrizzle posted:

Don't do that, that Hawk fit is stupid. This does exactly the same job in the same amount of time for much less ISK:

[Harpy, serpentis burner]
Tracking Enhancer II

Medium C5-L Emergency Shield Overload I
Small Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 400
Peripheral Compact Target Painter
Dread Guristas Kinetic Deflection Amplifier

[empty high slot]

Fit saved, though I'm wondering if a web would work better than the TP.

But this is why I'm also not worried about the Burner fits. So what if I spent 250m on that hawk? I can just repackage it and resell it, and all I lost was like 3 million isk on rigs. I might even make money reselling the faction mods outside of Jita.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A White Guy posted:

Ok, so it's been like a year since I played this poo poo awful game.

Tell me about the current political situation in EVE, or alternatively, why I should spend :20bux: a month to humor my deep seated sense of masochism.

At the moment a majority of GoonSwarms former enemies (PL, NC., Darkness, etc.) have teamed up to attack the CFC/The Imperium (CFC's new name). They also brought along with them a bunch of Lowsec guys who also have an axe to grind, along with people like The OSS who are predominantly former GSF members from Black Omega Security. So far the CFC/Imperium have lost all but 1 region, Pure Blind, while staging out of Lowsec for the time being. There's been some tit for tat in Fade as the enemy of CFC/Imperium, called The Money Badger Coalition, has take all the regions previously held. That's the main war going on right now int he norther. Out in Drone Lands, Legion of Death have made peace with SOLAR Fleet and their two respective coalitions have teamed up to make the Drone Region Federation mostly making it so Drone Lands is a renter space. In the south & south east Stain Wagon have held sov for a little over a year now. The Southwest is a hodgepodge of stuff, Querious is a bit of a thunderdome but with the exception that everyone there has agreements not to attack sov structures of the other guys. Delve is sort of the same to a degree. Darius JOHNSON also returned, got the old GoonSwarm alliance back off Penif Smash and is doing his own thing with some Goons down in NPC Delve. In Fountain you have a bunch of Fountain Core guys who took sov and are doing their own thing mostly avoiding the war in the north.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

As far as I can tell this citadel expansion is kinda dumb since anytime someone puts one down everyone blues up to come and kill it, even in highsec am i wrong? Are there happy little citadels anywhere doing citadel things?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Unfunny Poster posted:

At the moment a majority of GoonSwarms former enemies (PL, NC., Darkness, etc.) have teamed up to attack the CFC/The Imperium (CFC's new name). They also brought along with them a bunch of Lowsec guys who also have an axe to grind, along with people like The OSS who are predominantly former GSF members from Black Omega Security. So far the CFC/Imperium have lost all but 1 region, Pure Blind, while staging out of Lowsec for the time being. There's been some tit for tat in Fade as the enemy of CFC/Imperium, called The Money Badger Coalition, has take all the regions previously held. That's the main war going on right now int he norther. Out in Drone Lands, Legion of Death have made peace with SOLAR Fleet and their two respective coalitions have teamed up to make the Drone Region Federation mostly making it so Drone Lands is a renter space. In the south & south east Stain Wagon have held sov for a little over a year now. The Southwest is a hodgepodge of stuff, Querious is a bit of a thunderdome but with the exception that everyone there has agreements not to attack sov structures of the other guys. Delve is sort of the same to a degree. Darius JOHNSON also returned, got the old GoonSwarm alliance back off Penif Smash and is doing his own thing with some Goons down in NPC Delve. In Fountain you have a bunch of Fountain Core guys who took sov and are doing their own thing mostly avoiding the war in the north.

also an important thing is that eve is seeing a lot of returning/new people so all of space is now more active than it has been for the past 18months or so

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'd argue this is a bit out of date at the moment.

Most of the lowsec groups have hosed off to their own parties now, and more than a few of the minor nullsec powers have wandered home as well. What remains in force appears to be Horde/TEST and to a lesser degree Waffles (hosed if I've seen a single waffles pilot during this whole thing, but I'm told they are around) with PL and NC. squatting in X-70, and Sorts garbage coalition in deklein.

The elephants in the room are of course PL and NC.. Without their support sweeping the rest off the board would be a doable thing.

Horde is primarily being picked on as the "Weak Link" but I'm not entirely sure that they ARE the weakest link at the moment. I'd say the various parties squatting in Dek are.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
picking on horde is a morale boost because they bleat really loud and it's beyond trivial to get characters in to watch that poo poo real time

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rhymenoserous posted:

Most of the lowsec groups have hosed off to their own parties now, and more than a few of the minor nullsec powers have wandered home as well. What remains in force appears to be Horde/TEST and to a lesser degree Waffles (hosed if I've seen a single waffles pilot during this whole thing, but I'm told they are around) with PL and NC. squatting in X-70, and Sorts garbage coalition in deklein.

The elephants in the room are of course PL and NC.. Without their support sweeping the rest off the board would be a doable thing.

Horde is primarily being picked on as the "Weak Link" but I'm not entirely sure that they ARE the weakest link at the moment. I'd say the various parties squatting in Dek are.

I've seen a few NOMAD guys

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Orange Red Bull posted:

As far as I can tell this citadel expansion is kinda dumb since anytime someone puts one down everyone blues up to come and kill it, even in highsec am i wrong? Are there happy little citadels anywhere doing citadel things?

For the moment there are only a few uses for citadels and those being stood up are largely symbolic and everyone is scrambling to get kills on them as the new blingy thing. Even now there are probably a lot of citadels happily stood up and operating as normal across Eve but you don't hear about those (except Hole Squad's by virtue of the fact that no one actually showed up to kill it despite being part of public enemy #1 in Eve right now) and instead here about the few that are very visible or of note based on their position. IE, Groon's attempt to get the first one in the only named system in syndicate, the one off the Jita gate in Perimeter, or the ones caught by random Wormhole scouting.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It's a bit early to be doomsaying when the other two citadel sizes haven't had time to come out of the oven yet. The first fortizars won't be done until later this week, and keepstars are another week or so later than that.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Rhymenoserous posted:

Waffles managed to get a hell of a lot of kills/action basing out of fade

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

picking on horde is a morale boost because they bleat really loud and it's beyond trivial to get characters in to watch that poo poo real time

https://hasplsavedhordeyet.com

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Rhymenoserous posted:

If you plan on continuing in the nullsec route highsec literally has nothing to teach you. PVP is a whole different animal when bubbles and bombs aren't a part of the equation. It's why we generally suggest people come out to null straight away. All highsec does is build bad habits.

I know this gets said a lot, but I feel really lost if there is no fleet I can join. This is just a way for me to figure out some of the basic fundamentals of other parts of the game. I don't even know what mining, scanning, exploring and all that other poo poo looks like.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Crell posted:

I know this gets said a lot, but I feel really lost if there is no fleet I can join. This is just a way for me to figure out some of the basic fundamentals of other parts of the game. I don't even know what mining, scanning, exploring and all that other poo poo looks like.

There are literally 2-3 fleets out at any given moment. Are you not on jabber?

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Rhymenoserous posted:

There are literally 2-3 fleets out at any given moment. Are you not on jabber?

I go on fleets a lot, and chill in standing fleet when there is nothing else going on, but I do want to learn other parts of the game. VideoGames makes it sound pretty fun!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

SperginMcBadposter posted:

It's a bit early to be doomsaying when the other two citadel sizes haven't had time to come out of the oven yet. The first fortizars won't be done until later this week, and keepstars are another week or so later than that.

For the moment the only two benefits of larger citadels are:

1) Market services. Something not needed anywhere but in the most barren areas of nullsec or wormholes. And, incidentally, highsec (reduced taxes) if a few citadels can somehow manage to become a market hub.

2) Docking supers/titans. Which absolutely no one will do until the rush of killing any Keepstar that gets stood up goes away (which may take a long long time if very few get stood up on a regular basis), there are several available in an area so you can rebase as needed without all your eggs being in one basket, or CCP finally removes starbases.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Crell posted:

I pvp quite a lot (relative to my total playtime) and I never join main fleets. If you learn to fly a dictor at a level above the median skill, all of null is your playground, regardless of whether you have friends online or not.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I pvp quite a lot (relative to my total playtime) and I never join main fleets. If you learn to fly a dictor at a level above the median skill, all of null is your playground, regardless of whether you have friends online or not.

Have you seen the kb recently? Entertaining poo poo is happening.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Crell posted:

There used to be classes on scanning at least,, and there are still forum threads/jabber channels to talk about mining and exploring and various other non-PVP things that don't really lend themselves to being done in a fleet - and in the meantime there are tons of PVP fleets running around too for when you want to shoot things.

RVCMF isn't fighting a war right now so I guess it's a nice quiet place to throw an alt and learn about a bunch of stuff in a self-directed kind of way, but there are plenty of teaching resources available in GSF even if the war may have put a bunch of the live ones on hold.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Every nullsec player should also have a hisec alt, even if it is only for buying stuff in jita to import with an importing service.

You should definitely make an alt for that, and putting it into RVCMF and training a few days of skills on it isn't a terrible idea for something to do when bored or very distracted.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Some corp mates recommended me to use those 4 sloted t1 frigates, fill the mid with racial ecms. There are some videos on youtube of a dude doing burners in a kestrel.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

CommonShore posted:

But this is why I'm also not worried about the Burner fits. So what if I spent 250m on that hawk? I can just repackage it and resell it, and all I lost was like 3 million isk on rigs. I might even make money reselling the faction mods outside of Jita.
Sure, if you already have a decent bankroll and are doing the missions in perfectly safe space then there's no harm in using blinged out fits. I'm just saying that there are better options if you don't already have multiple billions to invest in a setup or are doing them in lowsec/NPC 0.0.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I had a bad day in this terrible game.

Lost 3 VNI's and a Raven.

Got to 70 in Diablo though

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

CommonShore posted:

noob question - are you just chain declining from your agent(s) until they give you a burner or are you running the blitzable missions in another ship until the burners come up?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jazzzzz posted:

noob question - are you just chain declining from your agent(s) until they give you a burner or are you running the blitzable missions in another ship until the burners come up?

Decline anything that can't be blitzed. Sometimes walk away for 4h if my standings start to get a bit low, which is of course the best possible outcome.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Decline anything that can't be blitzed. Sometimes walk away for 4h if my standings start to get a bit low, which is of course the best possible outcome.

Gotcha, so you have a mach or whatever for blitzing and the assault frigate for the burners, but you're not running EVERYTHING with the assault frigate. That's how I read your post initially and I was :confused:

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."
Earlier I dodged a gatecamp by crashing the gate when a Sabre bubbled me and somehow avoided the Phobos that jumped after me, only to lose my covops in lowsec 10 minutes later when I AFKed for 10 seconds near a tower while forgetting to turn my cloak on. I think I could have warped out, but I was so confused as to what was shooting me that I didn't press any buttons until it was too late. :shobon:
Luckily I got most of my cargo back, so it only set me back about 20 mil. It's good to be back to this terrible game.

I hope you guys are having a chill time.

Darium
May 2, 2016
With citadel out now, would fuel block PI be a "worthy" side income for "new" players?

cZk
Oct 6, 2014

i am a flight risk
and i am in flight
Giving this game another go again, I enjoyed what I played last time but didn't have the time to commit to it. The wiki is a pretty nice beginner's resource. Not too sure on what my playstyle will be, I really enjoy PVP in most MMOs but sometimes I just want to chill and explore.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Did you start a new character? Hit F12 to find the closest career agents to you and take the Exploration agent's mission line. You'll get a free exploration frigate to start scanning down sites, can actually make semi-decent isk doing that as a noob. I had about 50 million after getting lucky finding a couple of good sites over the course of a week or so with relatively minimal playtime each night.

cZk
Oct 6, 2014

i am a flight risk
and i am in flight

Jazzzzz posted:

Did you start a new character? Hit F12 to find the closest career agents to you and take the Exploration agent's mission line. You'll get a free exploration frigate to start scanning down sites, can actually make semi-decent isk doing that as a noob. I had about 50 million after getting lucky finding a couple of good sites over the course of a week or so with relatively minimal playtime each night.

Yeah I did, been too long and my last character wasn't very far along. Thanks for the heads up, I'm already working through the exploration ones now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."
I also did exploration when I started out, it was pretty fun. Then I moved on to ratting, flew in large fleets, ran small fleets and gate camps, did black ops, killed carriers and titans, burned out and quit. Now I'm back doing exploration. Such is the circle of EVE I guess.

When I was brand new, a goon (SamHandwich) gave me 100 mil ISk. I thought it was an immense amount, since I could buy so many Trashers and Slashers with that money :shobon:
A few months later I was making something like 120 mil / hour just by AFK ratting. I find it kind of strange how this game limits your progression through time. In normal MMOs you can grind to max level in like a week, then get the best gear and do anything you want. But if you're a newbie in EVE, you have to wait months for your skills to tick so you can make a lot of ISK to buy bigger ships to get a lot of ISK etc.

I guess my point is: don't stress it. Just do the things that seem fun to you at the time. Some people have fun mining rocks, some people like to 1v1 in frigates, some people like to join large corps and build empires / press F1 in fleets. Don't treat it like a normal MMO, treat it like a side game where you can hang with some cool people or chill mining space rocks / shooting red crosses once in a while or whenever you feel like it. Everything takes time, especially when you're new. If you feel ever feel pressured to log in, the game stops being fun. And a lot of resources like the wikis are outdated. If you have questions, just ask.

• Locked thread