Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mithaldu posted:

You can just download them directly onto the PSTV. But yeah, swapping memory card works fine too.
:yeah:

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kirios posted:

I beat Trails on the PC - Is Cold Steel as good?

yeah p much. definitely better gameplay. it's also in the same world and has lots of references and some reoccuring characters and such so if you liked sky a lot you'll already be biased towards liking it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Really Pants posted:

I am a little disappointed with the new Ultimate digivolution tier that I've just reached, though. Terriermon and Gargomon were so cute :smith:

rapidmon looks cool as heck :mad:

(the cute ultimates are Angewomon, LadyDevimon and Lilymon)

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Kirios posted:

I'm ~8-10 hours away from beating Persona 4 (fyi pretty good game!). What's the next good Vita JRPG to play?

If you haven't played Persona 3 yet, I enjoyed its portable version, and if I recall it's fairly cheap as well.

Escha and Logy is also fun.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

rapidmon looks cool as heck :mad:

megagargamon is one of those digimon designs that I can't imagine physically moving and I wish it was just a rapidmon again

thankfully that exists and is in cyberslueth

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I don't know anything about digimon but is Apocalymon in it

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

I don't know anything about digimon but is Apocalymon in it

yes

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

mandatory lesbian posted:

(the cute ultimates are Angewomon, LadyDevimon and Lilymon)

Excellent choices, amigo.

I bought Cyber Sleuth last night and did the intro and I can tell it's going to be quite good. I chose Palmon.

ayukawa
Feb 7, 2016

Nice boat.

Motto posted:

You should also know that they're monster friends to the boys and girls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYrlSjQyrzY

I remember those Doujinshi too.

Not sure I would call that friendly though.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Would anyone that knows all of 0 about Digimon (except they're Digital Monsters Digimon are the CHAMPIONS!) enjoy Cyber Sleuth? I think there's one that looks like a Cactuar?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Kirios posted:

Would anyone that knows all of 0 about Digimon (except they're Digital Monsters Digimon are the CHAMPIONS!) enjoy Cyber Sleuth? I think there's one that looks like a Cactuar?

if you like jrpg's and monster collecting it's really really good

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

most people seem to enjoy it even if they don't know digimon. i kinda found it boring, but if you like monster collecting stuff you probably will

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kirios posted:

That'd be Togemon. Also yeah, the battle system is similar to FFX or Mega Man X Command Mission, but with Digimans. If that and anti-gravity boob man actually managing to reign it in a bit sounds good to you then go for it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kirios posted:

yes I am one of said people

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Takoluka posted:

like, I'm the resident Vita thread Nep apologist, and I gave IFI the middle finger for their bullshit weapon DLC for Nep V2

imo the weapon DLC for V2 is not as bad as the weapon DLC for Noiregame, where the vast majority of characters have 2 weapons unless you stump up for the DLC at which point they have 3, but I didn't buy either set because in hindsight V2 is kinda over in a blink once you're done actually assembling a full party

it's me I'm also a Nep apologist (and a nepologist)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fwiw I enjoy Estival Versus more than I ever enjoyed Burst because at least there is a stable framerate, the screen isn't cluttered to poo poo on a small screen, and the selection of characters is nice too.

These are the only two SK games I've played though so eh

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i didnt like digimon much so i bought two pokemon ds games to satiate me

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Mithaldu posted:

It's been there forever and i also did already spend some time complaining about how arse it is that there's no button on the vita for "start downloads of queued poo poo now" and instead you have to reboot the thing, open the store, let it sit for an hour, while praying furiously.

It's also a little weird if you have a Vita and a PS TV.

You could get a PSTV bundle for sub-50 bucks (I think I paid 40 off ebay), which is a pretty good price for an 8 gig memory card, a ps3 controller and the lego game.

Mine is my JP game player which means it basically has Taiko V, IA/VT, Puyo Puyo Tetris and whatever demos I want to try. It sure beats having to factory reset.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
If anyone's looking for Vita game suggestions, this guy went through the entire US Vita library recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm9llHgH8J8

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Stelas posted:

imo the weapon DLC for V2 is not as bad as the weapon DLC for Noiregame, where the vast majority of characters have 2 weapons unless you stump up for the DLC at which point they have 3, but I didn't buy either set because in hindsight V2 is kinda over in a blink once you're done actually assembling a full party

it's me I'm also a Nep apologist (and a nepologist)

The Noire game is bad to begin with, though.

Also, Nep V2 released the DLC characters way too late in the life cycle, so those of us that beat it really have no reason to drop a bunch of money on new characters to go back through it with.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

RanKizama posted:

Good to know Toukiden can stand on its own. I heard good things when it came out. The only real issue I can see the game having is solid staying power. It's like a fantasy MMO trying to go toe-to-toe with the hulking gorilla that is World of Warcraft. Plenty of games have come out that have looked better, played better, improved mechanics, and done any number of other things better than WoW but have still died in obscurity or simply shrank to just a small following. Why? Because WoW is established and has the name to carry it. Hell, even a brand name like Star Wars struggles to put up a solid fight.

MH is the same way. Games like Toukiden, Freedom Wars, or other similar games may come along and genuinely do things better or innovate the franchise, but they will still all eventually fall to Monster Hunter simply because people want more Monster Hunter and not more "just like" Monster Hunter.

Yeah, very true. Every time I dare mention Toukiden on any dedicated MH forum or thread, people poo poo all over it whether they've played it or not :(

Help Im Alive posted:

I think Monster Hunter still is legitimately the best at what it does though

It really depends on what you want, though. I get burnt out on MH periodically because of the sheer amount of upkeep required to keep up with items, levelling up palicos, etc., and Toukiden is a breath of fresh air in that respect. Also MH doesn't let you punch monsters in the face with huge gauntlets, which is a major point in favour of Toukiden IMO. Kusarigama are really cool weapons too.

For me the area Toukiden really goes one better than MH is with the ranged weapons. In Toukiden your bows and rifles have a lot more varied attacks than in MH. With the bow, you have multiple types of charged shots, then a special charged shot that unleashes homing arrows at target areas you paint while aiming, then another special shot that tags monster parts with curses that you can blow up with further shots for added damage. With the rifle, each one can hold three different types of bullets drawn from a selection of interesting choices, and you can mix and match them in your clip. Each bullet has a different effect when using the special shot button. You can also chuck grenades which have different effects depending on which bullet type is in the chamber when you throw it. There's just way more stuff to do as a ranged weapon user than in MH and you can discover lots of neat tricks and tactics by comboing these different types of shots together -- plus mitama effects add some interesting twists too.

So I'd really recommend people try Toukiden if you like ranged weapons in MH.

Megalixir posted:

MH is so good at what it does that's why there's 800 clones trying to fill it's shoes

Not that the clones are bad, but these large-scale hunting games seem better suited for a larger screen and higher framerate, I never got the portability appeal of monhan, I'm not gonna sit on a train and hunt a Khezu.

Just release Soul Sacrifice on PS4 already.

Another reason to recommend Toukiden I guess :v: The sequel is coming out soon and will be out on PS4/Vita just like the last one.

I really hope they keep releasing hunting games on portables alongside consoles, though, for me (and for Japanese players) they're a perfect fit. I barely have time to play games during the week except on my commute, and I can squeeze in a hunt or two during the train ride and really enjoy myself. Any given hunt is rarely more than 20 minutes long, and each one you finish gives you some materials and stuff that make you feel like you've accomplished something. So IMO they're a perfect portable gaming fix to give you a satisfying experience when you've got limited time.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've always viewed Toukiden as a fantastic entry point into Monster Hunter like games. It's totally legitimate - I enjoyed my time with the game for sure.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Mithaldu posted:

Honestly, this is neither true, nor funny, nor even something interesting to post. Please just can that poo poo.

It doesn't have the greatest accuracy, but at the start of the year the yearly "upcoming vita games" thread on neogaf had 200+ entries.

Click to murder your browser: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1164968

You're pretty easy to rile up dude, just chill and accept the oxymoronic nature of the Vita.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

thorsilver posted:

You can also chuck grenades which have different effects depending on which bullet type is in the chamber when you throw it.

The effect is actually based on which bullet type you shoot the grenade with. :hellyeah:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Kirios posted:

I watched a lot of it with almost no Digimon knowledge and the storyline does fine at introducing everything. The Digimon themselves seem to be about the only thing I recognize from elsewhere, and you are going to evolve each party member up through many different Digimon so even that isn't permanent. Even the literal piece of poo poo 'mon is a useful evolution at some point so it's not like you have to go in knowing who is good ahead of time.

If you like to catch 'em all, play Pokemon, if you like to get attached to your party and tend them until they're tiny gods in the form of a metallic pile of poop then play Cyber Sleuth

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The Vita XCom framerate is bad, even if there's nothing on the screen, but on the other hand no console version actually runs well, anyway - what surprised me is that the loading times aren't much longer than the PS3's (and you have the meter to at least know if it's nearly done.

My only real gripe is that everyone speaks English, I can't believe at least combat barks were that much of memory hog not to include them.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Well, I platinum'd all my SK games. Now I gotta find something else to play on the Vita until the next Versus game or Valkyrie Drive gets localized. Maybe I'll go back to finishing my Girls und Panzer trophy set.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

RanKizama posted:

Well, I platinum'd all my SK games. Now I gotta find something else to play on the Vita until the next Versus game or Valkyrie Drive gets localized. Maybe I'll go back to finishing my Girls und Panzer trophy set.

What haven't you platinumed on Vita?

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
EDF people, what is the draw of EDF2 if I already have 2017 on the vita, and 4.1 on console? Is there something that stands out over the other games that makes it worth having?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Look, if you're not down for more EDF anytime, anyplace, i don't know what to tell you.

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gabby_Jay posted:

EDF people, what is the draw of EDF2 if I already have 2017 on the vita, and 4.1 on console? Is there something that stands out over the other games that makes it worth having?

Different enemy types, new scenario, and the best-worst British accents ever. I recently looked up footage of EDF1/Monster Attack, and the series plays the same across all installments, so you'll feel right at home.

EDF2 suffers a little bit from balance issues, but it runs a lot better than 2017 Portable. Plus, they added the Air Raider from EDF4.

In short, buy more EDF.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

Takoluka posted:

Different enemy types, new scenario, and the best-worst British accents ever. I recently looked up footage of EDF1/Monster Attack, and the series plays the same across all installments, so you'll feel right at home.

EDF2 suffers a little bit from balance issues, but it runs a lot better than 2017 Portable. Plus, they added the Air Raider from EDF4.

In short, buy more EDF.

That's good enough for me. Buyinit.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Junpei Hyde posted:

What haven't you platinumed on Vita?
A loving lot actually. But, I game hop and even trade games back in if they're not enjoyable. My wife plays my Vita as well so I've got incomplete trophy sets all over there as well.

Think I'll finish Girls und Panzer then go back to Gravity Rush or something.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

you should buy an edf game, and then you'll never play anything else

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RanKizama posted:

MegaTagmention Blanc + Neptune vs Zombies

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Really Pants posted:

I've been playing Digital Devil Summoner Digimon Cyber Sleuth, and my main squad of mons hasn't done much leveling in a while. Is that normal? They're still kicking rear end, but is it a mistake to stick with just a handful of mons and leave all the others on the farm?

It's normal, but when it happens you should take it as a sign that you should de-evolve them and let them level up again. You can use the farm for that if you want.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't try and plat an EDF game though, yikes.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't try and plat an EDF game though, yikes.

I mean, you could. EDF2017P isn't *terrible* about it, but EDF2 and 4 have Air Raiders, who are ridiculously difficult to use for a while.

But hey, EDF games are great fun and will keep you busy for quite a while.

And RanKizama, have you considered the Vita's magnum opus, Persona 4 Golden?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

4.1 takes something like 1200 missions just to get the beat every difficulty with every character trophies, unless they started making the difficulty trophies stack now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, Ray Gigant came out today, I'd forgotten about that. It's £25 so I think I'll give it a go.