Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iSqueezeCats
Jan 1, 2013

Advice posted:

Is everybody really hung up on actor changes? They changed actors, it's super obvious, it was likely outside of their control. For the Drowned God's sake, complain about bad writing or inappropriate character motivation, things that have happened as recently as last episode. If it bothers you that much, just pretend the magical forest people older than the loving first men who can apparently choose to look like children, decided to start looking like Mystique. Headcanon solves everything.

I'm just happy this episode was so much better than last week's.

I mean most of the changes honestly shouldn't bother anyone. Okay maybe the shapeshifting Gregor Clegane was a little bad, but its not like most of the changed actors appear every episode or even every season. We got a 5 second look at the raven in S4, and he comes back in S6...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, the prophecies about Cersei so far have all completely come true, and one of those is that she'll die to her "Valonquor" which she believes to be her little brother Tyrion but many fans suspect will be Jamie. Exactly how that plays out, I have no idea.

My theory is that Cersei is reaching a breaking point that will lead to her doing something like killing Tommen herself, because her prophecy said he would die anyways so she might as well do it herself. This could mean that Jamie kills her either after the fact, or to prevent it from happening.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Transmetropolitan posted:

Just a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzWo97BBeOs

Histories and Lore of Season 5, in case anyone didn't see it.

The actors do a fantastic job narrating these. Harry Lloyd, Mark Addy, Charles Dance and Michael McElhatton are superb doing in-character narration.

Yea, I'm soooo glad Harry Lloyd is still doing them. Seriously, he did a great Viserys and he really knows how to get into it.

Will always remember him from S1 histories, going on about how Aerys totes wasn't a madman: "LIES!"

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Xanderkish posted:

I noticed the changes with tree wizard, but that's because I'm a giant nerd who knew his description from the book and thought that an old man made of tree was the coolest poo poo ever.

Still think that, in fact.

If I remember his description correctly he was supposed to be "ingrown" with the tree, with a branch coming out of one of his eyes or something. That would be pretty cool in the show!

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

tazjin posted:

My theory is that Cersei is reaching a breaking point that will lead to her doing something like killing Tommen herself, because her prophecy said he would die anyways so she might as well do it herself. This could mean that Jamie kills her either after the fact, or to prevent it from happening.

She already almost-killed him once during The Blackwater.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I don't know if anyone said it, but Ramsay's going to be a bit surprised when he sends his forces north to attack a barely-defended Castle Black and finds it defended by a Wyldling army complete with a giant.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

There'd better be a "that's not a knife.." Crocodile Dundee situation with Ramsay's dogs and Jon and Ghost, and it MUST be done in an Australian accent, don't gently caress this up D&D ffs

nopants
May 29, 2004

Lionel Richie posted:

There'd better be a "that's not a knife.." Crocodile Dundee situation with Ramsay's dogs and Jon and Ghost, and it MUST be done in an Australian accent, don't gently caress this up D&D ffs

I'm going to be very upset if Ramsey doesn't end up as dinner for a direwolf.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
"How do you know this?"
"That's what I do. I drink and I know things."
Tyrion's a university student apparently

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

nopants posted:

I'm going to be very upset if Ramsey doesn't end up as dinner for a direwolf.

Or his own dogs.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Tyrion and Varys continue to be my favorite duo. The dubious look Varys gave Tyrion before the latter descended the stairs to the dragons had me busting up.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Concerning Ramsey: flayed or nothing.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Ramsay ends up getting eaten by Theon.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

CortezFantastic posted:

Watching the same conversation over and over again about an actor getting replaced and what and why and huh is absolutely stunning to see

TVIV would go Lovecraft style mad if they learned what horrors regularly go on in live theater.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I doubt Ramsay is going to Castle Black, we got this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H68jBjb5XbQ and we know about the Battle of the Bastards to retake Winterfell in Episode 9.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

kiimo posted:

Concerning Ramsey: flayed or nothing.

No, ripped up by Ghost is oddly perfect. Because who's going to flay him? Flaying is villain poo poo. All the good guys with a specific beef against Ramsay probably aren't capable of it. And some random other bad guy doing it sounds unfulfilling.

I totally agree that Davos' approach to Melisandre was out of character. It's been like 2 weeks since she burned Shireen alive; Davos specifically asked about the Princess, as I recall, and I imagine Mel's silence told him enough to piece it together. If he was going to pitch the idea of her raising Jon Snow, you'd think there'd be more anger. "How many good people have you killed for your god? Do one decent thing in your life and bring one of them back."

It's kind of funny, though, how the last couple episodes have involved all the remaining political figures who are metered or reserved or quiet being iced by short-sighted maniacs. Now, the relevant players in Westeros are the Sand Snakes, Cersei Lannister, Walder Frey, Ramsay Bolton, and probably soon Balon Greyjoy's pirate brother whose first action was chucking the existing king off a bridge. Killing off Lysa Arryn was the best decision Littlefinger's made for a while, because imagine Lysa and Sweetrobin in that mix. Olenna Tyrell is hopefully making GBS threads roses right now because she's surrounded by psychotic morons and more than normal.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
...woops thought I was in spoiler thread

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Game of thrones junped the shark

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tazjin posted:

Oh poo poo that's a good theory.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I still think her last ditch effort at stopping the prophecy is having FrankenMountain kill Margaery after Jaime works hard to get her released.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Game of thrones junped the shark

No that happens next episode; Yara said they're getting the sharks ready now

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh poo poo that's a good theory.

It almost seems obvious to me from like a literary perspective or a weaselly prophetic one (book poo poo) that Jaime is going to kill Cersei and possibly himself in what may well be the final scene for both of them, and there's like a million possible terrible things she could do to provoke that (hurting Tommen, Brienne, or Tyrion, setting the city on fire paralleling the Mad King thing, ordering Frankenmountain to do something horrific, etc)

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
It would be hard to jump 20 Good Sharks

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
One thing I'm curious about is seeing what effect, if any, the walk of shame that Cersei had to go through last season , will have on her. She seems still in shock over it, but there's no noticeable big personality change like you seen with other major events that happened to characters..

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xanderkish posted:

One thing I'm curious about is seeing what effect, if any, the walk of shame that Cersei had to go through last season , will have on her. She seems still in shock over it, but there's no noticeable big personality change like you seen with other major events that happened to characters..

Well, she didn't react to being barred from the funeral with an orgy of violence and vengeful ranting.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Xanderkish posted:

She seems quieter, more pensive, and more dangerous to me. Like when she was interacting with Ned or Tyrion or Margery before she'd be all snippy and fake smiling and stuff and that doesn't seem to be happening this season.

Like she's kind of subdued, but I suspect that's a bad sign wrt her sanity and future likelihood of murdering everyone rather than a good one.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
New Dem Thrones Real Negus Too Too Trill Review for episode 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68WaD27PzMU

This is the most fun review series out there. They always make every scene seem entertaining as hell. Even when a character is doing something that doesn't make sense, they laugh and poke fun at the character, rather than complain about the show or writers.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I didn't realize there were so many cool Hodor fan theories in existence.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Am I a lovely writer or would it have been way better to have Mel chilling out in the same room as the Davos Schemers Club, depressed and not talking, just staring at the flames, and for someone to say some poo poo like, "Man I wish Jon was still alive" (obviously not verbatim, that writing is awful too) and have her chime in, her first words in days, with, "There...may be a way. I have seen it before, but it should not have been possible", and then they all start paying attention to her?

The way we got it feels extremely weird because, of all the poo poo going on in the Seven Kingdoms, even we, the omniscient viewer, have seen exactly one example of reincarnation, and Davos wasn't there. He's just throwing poo poo at the wall when he asks Mel if there's anything that can help them, and the scene draaaags on because we all knew from the first six seconds how the entire conversation was going to go down.

Also it feels weird that they're all meeting in the same room Jon's body is in, and none of them appear to leave it or have private quarters, but Mel has her own giant private bedroom for convenient dialogue with Davos.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Melisandre's dad is Miracle Max.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Advice posted:

Am I a lovely writer or would it have been way better to have Mel chilling out in the same room as the Davos Schemers Club, depressed and not talking, just staring at the flames, and for someone to say some poo poo like, "Man I wish Jon was still alive" (obviously not verbatim, that writing is awful too) and have her chime in, her first words in days, with, "There...may be a way. I have seen it before, but it should not have been possible", and then they all start paying attention to her?

The way we got it feels extremely weird because, of all the poo poo going on in the Seven Kingdoms, even we, the omniscient viewer, have seen exactly one example of reincarnation, and Davos wasn't there. He's just throwing poo poo at the wall when he asks Mel if there's anything that can help them, and the scene draaaags on because we all knew from the first six seconds how the entire conversation was going to go down.

Also it feels weird that they're all meeting in the same room Jon's body is in, and none of them appear to leave it or have private quarters, but Mel has her own giant private bedroom for convenient dialogue with Davos.

No the only way the resurrection works is if Melisandre doesn't truly think it will as she clearly did not. If it were her idea and she wasn't trying it reluctantly it would have failed.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

berserker posted:

Tonight's episode loving owned. Everything about it owned. Jon Snow owns.

The people getting bent up out of shape about the Ramsay scene with the dogs seem to forget this is GoT we're watching. It owned, grow some balls! Also the Kingsmoot isn't boring at all in the books, I guess you guys are only excited by battles? I thought that the Kingsmoot was super interesting IMO and I was disappointed that it wasn't in S5 so I'm glad to see that we're going to get it.

We're living in the future boys! Who knows what's going to happen!

I just googled what Kingsmoot is and that seems oddly passive for the "Iron born" I mean, all they talk about is trying to invade and kill their enemies and paying the iron price for poo poo. But they elect their king based on who gives the nicest gifts and has the best speech? That just seems very.... out of character for them

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DrunkPanda posted:

I just googled what Kingsmoot is and that seems oddly passive for the "Iron born" I mean, all they talk about is trying to invade and kill their enemies and paying the iron price for poo poo. But they elect their king based on who gives the nicest gifts and has the best speech? That just seems very.... out of character for them

You have to be captain of a ship to qualify, and given that the Iron Islands are full of raiders and pirates, I assume a lot of those gifts are plundered. So the gift giving is partially a way of saying "I'm the biggest badass", which is totally in character for them; they care more about the smartest or toughest dude being in charge instead of giving the throne to whoever happens to be the firstborn Greyjoy.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I didn't entertain the idea of the Umbers handing over Rickon, but it could fit story wise going forward. I'm thinking people might encourage Jon to move on Winterfell in the aftermath of Jon's return. He'll be reluctant and say he belongs at the wall. Sansa and Brienne will make it to the wall and reunite with Jon. Word will get to the wall in some way that Ramsay has Rickon, Sana will detail the depths of Ramsay's depravity and will push Jon far enough that he feels he has to act to save Rickon and Winterfell.

I have a question for book readers, and maybe everyone else if I am not remembering something from season 1. Was Jon encouraged to join the Night's Watch by Ned? I know he was groomed for it, but was there any pressure? The fact that Ned promised to tell Jon about his mother when he saw Jon again being after he would have relinquished all claims and titles really makes me lean hard one way wrt Jon's lineage. I was open to him being a Baratheon since it would leave Mel's visions correct and just misinterpreted as the wrong Baratheon. But now I am as sure as I can be that he is a Targaryen. If he was Rob's somehow there's no reason to hide it. I could see Ned wanting to spare conflict by having Jon unable to stake a claim and also protect him from Robert's rage towards anything Targaryen and what he would see as his beloved's rape baby.

Spoke Lee fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 3, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My favorite part of that whole episode was Melisandre's quiet, tormented little,".....please...." during the attempted resurrection ritual. She hit rock bottom and at her lowest moment put aside all pretense for a naked, humble plea to the Gods to redeem her shattered faith, which if I remember right basically matches up with Thoros of Myr's description of the first time he resurrected Beric.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
So what absolutely confirmed magic do we have besides resurrection and shadow demon babies? The viewer has never seen Mel's visions in the fire, although she showed one to Stannis that he apparently took at face value. The blood magic with Gendry and the leeches was, wonderfully I thought, left ambiguous since all three targets died, but in unrelated ways and people die a lot in the Seven Kingdoms. I always loved the theory that Mel is inadvertently worshipping some dark god and she can only perform destructive, evil poo poo. Even the rez can turn all Monkey's Paw on us, bringing us a half evil Jon.

Calling it now: Jon spends the rest of the series going all Heisenburg and slowly devolving into madness. Going to Castle Black so early was an excuse to have him draped in foreshadowing black clothes for the series. He's already executed that one disobeying guy, Thorne will be next, with Olly, but that'll almost feel justified. He'll be pure evil by the end.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Advice posted:

So what absolutely confirmed magic do we have besides resurrection and shadow demon babies? The viewer has never seen Mel's visions in the fire, although she showed one to Stannis that he apparently took at face value. The blood magic with Gendry and the leeches was, wonderfully I thought, left ambiguous since all three targets died, but in unrelated ways and people die a lot in the Seven Kingdoms. I always loved the theory that Mel is inadvertently worshipping some dark god and she can only perform destructive, evil poo poo. Even the rez can turn all Monkey's Paw on us, bringing us a half evil Jon.

She drank poison with nary a twitch as Davos pointed out. She also got some vibe about Arya's when they met, though I can't remember the specifics.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 3, 2016

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I thought that whole last episode was great.

It was like a whole season's crazy poo poo in one hour.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ramsay is loving killing it for me in the fantasy league. Unfortunately, Roose is dead weight on my team now. Any chance for mid-season pick-ups?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

ruddiger posted:

Ramsay is loving killing it for me in the fantasy league. Unfortunately, Roose is dead weight on my team now. Any chance for mid-season pick-ups?

Well, if orchestrating violence counts I'm betting Cersei will be a champ. But if it's direct kills only, the Mountain-zombie-Frankenstien's-monster should be picking up steam....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Wizchine posted:

Well, if orchestrating violence counts I'm betting Cersei will be a champ. But if it's direct kills only, the Mountain-zombie-Frankenstien's-monster should be picking up steam....

Honestly if there's any one thing I want to see this season, it's franken-mountain just walking into a sea of those religious nuts and smashing them all like that one boss fight in Dark Souls 3.

• Locked thread