Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The car haulers coming from Alberta heading south on I-15 is still insane. I stopped counting at 10 in the space of a couple hours from Helena to about Shelby. Mostly pick ups but the odd SUV in there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

The car haulers coming from Alberta heading south on I-15 is still insane. I stopped counting at 10 in the space of a couple hours from Helena to about Shelby. Mostly pick ups but the odd SUV in there too.

Yeah, by the time the dust settles, there are going to be hardly any used vehicles from 2011-2015 left here.

CAD is back up to 80 cents, so it might slow a little bit, but a lot of vehicles are gone already.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
This is so lovely. I was planning on buying a decent used half-ton this year or next. :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

gas prices are jumping, fill fill fill fill fill.

I guess jacking up the price just before may long weekend would look suspicious, so they're getting the jump by a month.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 29, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Most places are .98 here but the odd one is still .90

DrakeriderCa posted:

This is so lovely. I was planning on buying a decent used half-ton this year or next. :(
Save your pennies and i will sell you my current Tacoma when i mile it out in 2 years.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Most places are .98 here but the odd one is still .90

Save your pennies and i will sell you my current Tacoma when i mile it out in 2 years.

I would love a Tacoma but it won't fit me, my wife, our two dogs and our camping stuff. :(

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DrakeriderCa posted:

I would love a Tacoma but it won't fit me, my wife, our two dogs and our camping stuff. :(

Get an Astro/Safari man, shock absorbers are $12 each.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

DrakeriderCa posted:

If we make enough money off the rally 7, you could use the profits to build a v8 Dajiban. That will fit everyone and everything. Now convincing both ours wives to actually ride in the thing... That's another matter entirely.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 30, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just put some shag in it. Ladies love shag carpet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like this person wants to give you their big black cock.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/red-deer/free-polish-rooster/1160918597

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

Looks like this person wants to give you their big black cock.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/red-deer/free-polish-rooster/1160918597

It specifically says "not for meat" :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I thought that was millennial slang for no homo.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I suppose that's possible, I mostly communicate in meme images and weapons-grade cursing so I'm not up on colloquial spoken English.

Holy poo poo I'm busy today. Working on the celica front suspension and brakes, fixed a buddy's boat trailer, made hot brewed iced tea. Not even five pm and I have hours more to go, I love spring.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:supaburn: high 20s-30s for pretty much the whole province for the foreseeable future. I don't think I've ever seen that for this early in May.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

:supaburn: high 20s-30s for pretty much the whole province for the foreseeable future. I don't think I've ever seen that for this early in May.

No kidding. my steering wheel was somewhere in the range of 800 degrees this afternoon.

Weather canada has even issued a warning about the "heat wave"

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Powershift posted:

Weather canada has even issued a warning about the "heat wave"

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I don't know about you guys but I love hot weather - the hotter, the better.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm absolutely with you. That's one of the reasons I was happy to transfer to Lethbridge. Late June to Late September it is sunny and 30+ far, far more often than not... as in 80%+ of the time. When I was in Redding CA last year for a couple days it was 44C in the shade and I was loving it.

That said, there is something to be said about central air and I am now soft since I will not be without it again in my house. I love the heat, but if I want it to cool off I want to be able to. Even if it's only coming in for 4 minutes to take a leak and get a beer.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I was sweating in the garage all evening.

I am not a fan of the heat in any way.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
gently caress Heat

I'd kill to live somewhere that was 15 degrees every day from April to October, then -15 from November to March. None of this wavering around zero for weeks at a time either. Just a two week transition period at each end and a blanket of snow consistently through the winter.

I hate sweating when I'm not doing anything, and I hate freezing rain and slush.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

DrakeriderCa posted:

gently caress Heat

I'd kill to live somewhere that was 15 degrees every day from April to October, then -15 from November to March. None of this wavering around zero for weeks at a time either. Just a two week transition period at each end and a blanket of snow consistently through the winter.

I hate sweating when I'm not doing anything, and I hate freezing rain and slush.

Are you me? This is about my range. Except +20/-20 on either end. This spring is weird already out here in NEOntario. Cold as hell until 2 weeks ago, now its getting to normal, and trending to hot.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MrChips posted:

I don't know about you guys but I love hot weather - the hotter, the better.

Big fan of hot weather, 30 plus is no issue unless you're inside without A/C.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hey slung bladeski, do you think your trailer would be capable of hauling a half ton?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It should be able to. It hauls my tractor which is ~3500 pounds easily. What's your half ton weigh, 6? 7?

I can check the weight spec to be certain.

When and where?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm down at cpa with a "requires repair" mark lt. Probably 6k.

Haven't got a chance to boost it to see if it's drivable yet but I'm looking at options to get it to it to Clareshome. I think I have your email still, I'll send you my cell number and we can text.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Great weather to find out that an a/c line blowed up last winter sometime and needs replacing. Especially that I was doing errands that needed my truck. On a related note, is this bastard right here an Internal Torx?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't find it. My number is 4 oh 3. Three nine 6 98 one six.

Anybody else can text me too if you want random pics of dumb shut every once in a while

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

:stare:

Holy gently caress I had no idea such an animal existed. How horrifying.

Powershift: feel free to PM me if you don't have my contact info

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Could be worse:

Princess Auto has the socket set, biek time. And Fat Franks.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Any goons in / around Fort Mac? You guys all OK?

http://www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca/alerts/2016/05/3707.html

Your poo poo seems to be on fire - in a serious fashion.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

How horrifying.

Next time you're in the white truck take a look at what's holding the seats in.
And then ask me what happens when you round the front ones off :unsmigghh:

Heatchat: give me all the heat and sun* and ballsweat unless I'm trying to work or sleep. After 5-6 hours I need a break, but a couple minutes in the beer cooler at a liquor store or w/e is enough.
*am ginger, will probably end up with skin cancer

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
I need better warm weather riding gear. Leather daddy look was not appropriate today.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The dream is over. The tranny is dead. Deader than dead.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

McTinkerson posted:

I was in Ft. Mac until Monday mid-morning - I passed Wood Buffalo's largest urban area's limits heading south on 63 at around 10:15am. Sunday afternoon featured two large columns of smoke in view from the rented house up Confederation Drive, with plenty of water-bombers buzzing around. They seemed to get the fire to the north under control by about 5-6pm, and the fire to the south seemed pretty static.

Yesterday morning there was heavy haze bringing visibility down to about 1km at ground level everywhere in town, but it was clear once I was about 10-15 km south. I guess the southern fire got very active and crossed the river (!!!) last night, though, and blasted right up into the southern edges of town. The pictures I've seen are nuts, I sailed down 63 in beautiful driving conditions (highest temperature I saw on 63, according to my rental car's outside thermometer was 31 degrees) and then today I see photos of stand-still traffic jams where I was cruising at a steady 115km/h.

I've heard that the people I was working with - 8 grad students and undergrad research assistants in a duplex - are all fine, but were evacuated. Some of them were working at one of our sites about 20km south of Ft. Mac. and I've been told were evacuated to Edmonton.

Today in Peace River I had "H2S Alive!" training, a requirement before I can visit our research sites in a former-well-pad area here. The instructor has done pretty much everything you can think of when it comes to rural / industrial first aid, fire-fighting, ambulance/paramedic work, and teaching all of those things. He's also a bit of an airplane nut and was able to identify the planes in my pictures. For this one, he asked me how I got above the plane. I wasn't, I was standing on the back deck at the house, but the planes were banking in *low* over Fort McMurray. I never saw any dump their loads, though.
Firefighting Aircraft over Fort McMurray 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Birddog
Firefighting Aircraft over Fort McMurray 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Another dramatic-background shot, different individual plane
Firefighting Aircraft over Fort McMurray 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

A low&slow 4-engine rumbly monster
Firefighting Aircraft over Fort McMurray 4 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

The dream is over. The tranny is dead. Deader than dead.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to help :smith:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

I'm sorry I wasn't able to help :smith:

We tried!

It worked out well. Should have another Trans in there for about $1500.

The real tragedy is that in trying to make the truck go, I missed out on an old guy garage pallet with 1902-1934 engineering textbooks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ft. Mac is a shithole but they don't deserve that. I just heard on the news Brian Jean is saying that buildings in the city core and hospital are on fire, but I'm hoping that's some politician making poo poo up/exaggerating. I hope. :ohdear:

e: I wonder how many lost homes will be a blessing in disguise for insurance payouts for unemployed people with $700K mortgages.

Powershift posted:

The real tragedy is that in trying to make the truck go, I missed out on an old guy garage pallet with 1902-1934 engineering textbooks.

I would have been curious to see those.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 4, 2016

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

slidebite posted:

Ft. Mac is a shithole but they don't deserve that. I just heard on the news Brian Jean is saying that buildings in the city core and hospital are on fire, but I'm hoping that's some politician making poo poo up/exaggerating. I hope. :ohdear:

The hospital "isn't damaged and all patients are out" according to their fire chief. That could change though.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

McTinkerson posted:

Not me, but a good friend is living there (when he's not in Manila).

Have tried to contact him, but haven't been able to get in touch with him yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tommychu posted:

The hospital "isn't damaged and all patients are out" according to their fire chief. That could change though.

Well, Brian Jean was right to be concerned about his house though. It's gone, along with hundreds of others.

Sounds like 80,000 people are now evacuated and thankfully not one serious injury/fatality. Mercifully, no "I ain't leavin'" people either.

Worst case scenario is now being spoken of as a real possibility and that's a loss of the majority of the city.

Only registered members can see post attachments!