Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
http://worldofwarships.com/en/content/docs/event-preview/

Be aware, on the 13th there will be a commander skill reset (presumably). If you're looking to spend doubloons on it, wait until the 13th first to see if this event actually happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It might be a commander skill respec discount.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
According to WST I'm not as horrible at this game as I think I am! https://warships.today/player/1018437458/na/KhisanthMagus

I really need to stop trying to play my cruiser. Somehow I have a good win % with it, but I can guarantee it isn't through anything that I'm doing, as shown by the piss poor stats I have with it.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

i just bought the izumo and sold my amagi.

what modules should i buy?

I figure either spec it for secondaries or main battery accuracy & reload (at the expense of traverse).

Redeye Flight posted:

https://warships.today/player/1018360115/na/Redeye_Flight :(

I'm worse than pretty much anyone I've ever seen. I think on the whole my win rates are trending up but really even when I wind up having fun in the game I'm playing worse than everyone else and I don't know how to improve.

Yeahhhh, you should get on discord and play with goons. That'd be a good start.

What are your favorite ships to play? How do you typically die?

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 2, 2016

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Blinks77 posted:

In further news, i don't like the Chappy. The Shchors kind of worked at tier 7, but 152mm at tier 8 really doesn't. You basically just throw around shells, praying for fires and that's pretty much all you can do. Very much a support boat.

Has anyone else noticed that Russian 152's suddenly seem utter crap? I was in a division with blinks, firing HE, got almost 100 shell hits and got less than 10k damage with about another 5k fires. I was happily going up that line with no problems but just suddenly seem utterly unable to do any amount of damage. The only time it works is if I manage to get close enough to unleash AP on something same or lower tier broadside to me.

I'm sure this line has been gently stroked with the nerf bat.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I haven't played this game since beta and am currently up to the Cleveland in the American cruiser tree.
Is there a better tree for gun based cruisers? I like a lot of things about the Cleveland but the travel time on those shells is brutal at anything but close range. Are the German cruisers any good? It sounds from this page like the Soviets may not be a good option and I don't really know anything about the Japanese.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I finally got the Cleveland!! I was happy, but then I realized I have no loving clue how to play it. The range is short, and I have to broadside which my last several dozens of games have been with the Phoenix and Omaha where you drive right into things and shoot them with 5 front facing guns.

Help.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pendent posted:

I haven't played this game since beta and am currently up to the Cleveland in the American cruiser tree.
Is there a better tree for gun based cruisers? I like a lot of things about the Cleveland but the travel time on those shells is brutal at anything but close range. Are the German cruisers any good? It sounds from this page like the Soviets may not be a good option and I don't really know anything about the Japanese.

German cruisers can't HE worth a drat, but instead they have armour piercing laser cannons

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I'm not liking the Kirov very much.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

German cruisers can't HE worth a drat, but instead they have armour piercing laser cannons

Hot drat I like the sounds of that. I'm picturing them coming down on the more heavily armored side of the cruiser spectrum since that seemed to generally be what Nazis did. Accurate?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pendent posted:

Hot drat I like the sounds of that. I'm picturing them coming down on the more heavily armored side of the cruiser spectrum since that seemed to generally be what Nazis did. Accurate?

Their armor is paper. Which isn't a problem because they citadel enemy ships all the loving time, and have a good rate of fire.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pendent posted:

I'm currently only on the tier 6 Nurnberg, and armour isn't a strong point. Got a longer range than the Cleveland though, and the Aoba as well I think.

e: ^^ yeah that's their thing, even battleships get hammered by that AP

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 2, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Konigsberg vs Konigsberg when emerging at close range behind an island is best compared to a Wild West film cowboy duel.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Two bots I've seen today:

https://warships.today/player/1013573574/na/gregg1214
https://warships.today/player/1002538545/na/seant1894

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I finally got the Cleveland!! I was happy, but then I realized I have no loving clue how to play it. The range is short, and I have to broadside which my last several dozens of games have been with the Phoenix and Omaha where you drive right into things and shoot them with 5 front facing guns.

Help.

You can drive right into things with Cleveland shooting forward 6 guns. Such strategy is recommended less as you go up in tier because things generally become more accurate and more hurty. Cleveland got amazing weight of fire, it got most health out of tier 6 cruisers, it got most armor out of tier 6 cruisers, it got tiny weirdly situated citadels, it got high arc guns that permit you firing over obstacles, you got amazing AA. On downside you got shortest range out of tier 6 cruisers and you shell velocity is abysmal which requires a lot of adjustment from what you used to. The most important tip (imo) I can give you is dont chase other cruisers if they somewhere around your max range. Just dont. With your shell velocity they will evade your shots while easily hitting you because you are moving very predictably. Use your high arc when you can. Under 8km you will maul other cruisers. Load up AP do like 30k damage in a volley. So use geography but dont be afraid to engage when they are close enough. When close enough your shell velocity limitation becomes moot. Dont forget that generally your peer cruisers afraid of you much more then you of them. Be afraid of Fuso, be afraid of AFT Kiev. Be very afraid of AFT Kiev.

I have impression that German cruisers (well Konigsberg and Nurnberg at least) longer then their peers and so showing broadside even more dangerous to them.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

For the record, even though the tooltip on the search radar for the New Orleans claims 11.25km range, it still just works out to 9km like before.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lakedaimon posted:

For the record, even though the tooltip on the search radar for the New Orleans claims 11.25km range, it still just works out to 9km like before.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Well at least I now have Concealment Expert on my US cruiser captain.

Genaro
Sep 22, 2011
Cleveland's a fire-slinging machine gun, but you do have to expect to miss most of your shots at far range. It's death to any plane it sees, it's probably the toughest of all the T6 cruisers, and its rate of fire means that if any other cruiser shows you broadside under 10km the sheer weight of your AP fire with demolish them. This is countered by the fact that if you're not setting fires on BBs, you're pretty much just hitting them over the head with a foam noodle. It also makes the Pensacola quite hard to adjust to, since it's got great guns that fire more infrequently, and is pretty fragile.

As for the German cruisers, you're death to any cruiser or DD unfortunate enough to come across you -- at the risk of wilting under any kind of focused fire. You've got the best hydro search, so smoke means less to you. You hunt broadsides more than targets, but man do the numbers stack up quickly.

Although the T4 German cruiser is just bad. Like, really bad.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
How's the Texas?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Phanatic posted:

How's the Texas?

It's a New York with AA. Only got one game in it... killed 20+ planes. Took no damage, struggled to get in position to kill anyone. Team won.

14k damage. Depends if you like lower level BB, I suspect it'll be fun once everyone isn't in one. It's a better Arkansas with AA, hope you don't get up tiered too hard.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

El Disco posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Well at least I now have Concealment Expert on my US cruiser captain.

I dont know if maybe the fancy version of radar has more range (I doubt it) but using the free version I swear I didnt spot a Fletcher in offensive smoke until he was at 8.9km Worst of all I didnt even get my guns aimed in time before someone else blapped him.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

guidoanselmi posted:

Yeahhhh, you should get on discord and play with goons. That'd be a good start.

What are your favorite ships to play? How do you typically die?

Usually I die to shellfire, not torpedos. As for favorite ships... I've been trying most things but really I'm not accurate enough in shooting to be good with battleships given their long reload times. I like playing destroyers, cruisers... I love the IDEA of playing carriers but I've never found them to be consistent enough to be any good at them.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Redeye Flight posted:

Usually I die to shellfire, not torpedos. As for favorite ships... I've been trying most things but really I'm not accurate enough in shooting to be good with battleships given their long reload times. I like playing destroyers, cruisers... I love the IDEA of playing carriers but I've never found them to be consistent enough to be any good at them.

Try to stick to two similar ships while learning to aim, jumping around to guns with drastically different velocities will screw up your lead learning process. I'd recommend Phoenix-Omaha, or the Japanese cruisers while you learn.

Don't be too aggressive; at the beginning of the match don't move until you see which way most people are turning then go that way. Stick with the deathball and you'll be ok, just try to stay in the middle of the pack. Too far away and you won't land hits, too close to the enemy and you'll get focused. Once the enemy all picks their targets, move in closer to start doing some work.

Don't ever show your broadside. Always be angled as much as possible. You really want your guns cranked over to their max, and then use your ship turning to bring them in line. Jiggle your speed a bit too, cut down to half for 10seconds or so, then crank a turn and jack the speed back up. Pay attention to your closure rate and enemy positions as well. When you see the enemy spreading out so that you can't angle, it's time to make some distance. If you start closing in with a dude whose landing big shots, it's time to make some distance. Just wait for him to fire then do a hard turn away (never turn before they fire, you'll get wrecked).

Lastly, don't go in a straight line for too long, especially in cruisers. You want to keep one angle for a couple of volleys, then cut to the opposite angle for a volley or two, then back to the original. For example, if you're in a furutaka with slow turret travers, crank all your guns to the left side to start. Your rear guns should be at or near max traverse for them to hit and you should be at full steam. Fire your first volley and see where they land. Cut your throttle to half, and adjust your aim, then fire again. Throttle up to max and fire a third volley, then crank over to show your right side angle. This one is tricky though, your turrets turn so slow that you're not going to get the rear ones on target in a realistic amount of time. You really just want to get one or two of your front ones to fire, then go back to your left angle asap to get your rear back on target.

If you do it fast enough you'll jack up the other dudes aiming pretty bad while keeping decent fire on him and ensuring your rear turrets don't traverse too far out of line. When you go back to the left angle it'll just take a few seconds to get back to normal.

Depending on the target once you get between 10-12km you'll start looking for a turn away. Figure out which way you're going to turn, then fire all your guns at the target. Immediately pan to the direction you're going to turn and lock your guns that way. Jiggle your rudder while you wait for him to fire back. As soon as he fires back execute the turn and do the whole thing over again, just now you're heading away.

It's easy once you get the hang of it, and then you can sit at 15+ km in a cruiser just wrecking face and never getting hit in return.

I'm not an amazing player but I keep decent stats solo pubbing, Jacks_Libido on US server.

-edit-
Almost forgot, the relative velocities of ships are quite low, so you need to stick with turns for a few seconds to have any real effect. If you're turning hard left, then immediately going hard right as soon as the rudder shifts you're basically staying in a straight line. You have to go hard left, wait 5-10 seconds, THEN go hard right, that way you actually move a decent amount off course. The way shells spread so much really makes this a big deal.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 3, 2016

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
That was the most badass thing I've ever done in this game. Was in my fuso. There were 3 cruisers coming around an island close to each other, so I came around the other way. Unloaded a salvo from my front batteries into one and focused my secondaries on it, then set my prow towards the first cruiser. Destroyed it with the ram and survived, then my secondaries took out the second cruiser, then the third one was right in front of me so I rammed it too. Died, but I took out 3 cruisers from full health in like 5 seconds.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Which is weird because when I stopped trying to use AP most of the time with the Yourk, my average damage doubled and it actually became a good ship to use.

In my experience, cruiser AP is too situational regardless of the platform. Unless the enemy ship is a cruiser showing it's broadside, HE always does more damage. Angled cruisers will easily shrug of AP, DDs will laugh at you as you over-penetrate, and equal or lower tier battleships will eat the slightly increased damage. It's even better to shoot HE at carriers since it prevents their planes from rearming. The more consistent damage profile of HE shots, and all of the extras (fires, gun incaps, engine and steering loss) seems to massively outweigh the small burst potential of AP. Obviously if a cruiser is broadside you should switch to AP, but almost everything else ends of taking more damage from HE.

In my experience.

Also, I'm not sure whether it's just my imagination or not, but ever since the patch it seems like the flight time and angle of HE v AP on the Yourk don't match up anymore. The AP seems to sail higher and take longer to hit. Or I might be high. I dunno.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Redeye Flight posted:

I'd say stick to cruisers. Phoenix/Omaha are good bets though the IJN line is solid, give or take furutaka (though I never played it post-buff).

All the advice above is pretty solid. Alternative restatement of advice:

-Positioning is very important in WoWS - never put yourself in a place where you'll be singled out by the bad guys, including and especially the ones you have yet to spot or encounter.
-Don't show your broadside, but if you have to (for turning) try to time it after enemy BBs have fired.
-If you haven't read into when to fire AP/HE, do that. The thread OP has something on that.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

marxismftw posted:

In my experience, cruiser AP is too situational regardless of the platform.

AP is situational in nearly every ship. I would say Yamato and T8+ German cruisers are the only ships where I wouldn't hesitate to say use AP 100% of the time. Atlanta is a high RoF HE flamethrower but it can citadel any broadside cruiser at 5k with AP. If you are in a BB facing off against a canny BB who is angled at you, perhaps reversing, then it can be a good idea to use HE. Except Yamato, because Yamato gives no fucks about angles.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

NTRabbit posted:

For the Yorck, use HE over 10km, AP below was the rule I heard and it works well. Currently on the Hipper and I don't think I have ever shot an HE round yet, just pootle around with the BBs and shoot anything that even looks remotely broadside.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

marxismftw posted:

Also, I'm not sure whether it's just my imagination or not, but ever since the patch it seems like the flight time and angle of HE v AP on the Yourk don't match up anymore. The AP seems to sail higher and take longer to hit. Or I might be high. I dunno.

You're not high, that's how it really is. At max range the AP shells are about 7 seconds slower so it matters.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Yeah, Pacra was teaching me how to York last night and he's right, HE over 10km (over 8km even) and keep to the max range of your guns. Look at the HE stats on the Nuremburg, York, and Admiral Hipster. HE takes a big jump for the York and then goes back down to the usual level with the Hipster.

I like the Texas because I liked the New York, with over a 58% WR. I think Texas' other big advantage besides AA is gun arcs. You can get all but turret 4 on target while still having good angling.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
EU Server is getting a month long event where we might be able to get Texas, Marblehead, Molotov and maybe Independance.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Where did you hear this? Also why Independence?

I'd be interested in all those premiums but I really want a Kamikaze or Fujin.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Don't you mean Saipan?

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Thread how do I Mogami? Also how is Russian DD line past Kiev?

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 3, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lady Morgaga posted:

Thread how do I Mogami? Also how is Russian DD line past Kiev?

Mogami is all about raining fire on people (switch to AP if they show a broadside). You probably are better off with the 203s now. I'm not sure if it can stealth fire or not, but you want the concealment system anyway.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

wdarkk posted:

Mogami is all about raining fire on people (switch to AP if they show a broadside). You probably are better off with the 203s now. I'm not sure if it can stealth fire or not, but you want the concealment system anyway.

I got concealment system first. I was looking at stats and gun choices stump me. I have a choice between 15 155mm guns that turn slower then battleship guns do and guns from Myoko that turn much better then they did on Myoko but for some reason fire rate is reduced almost by 20 percent. I have no idea what is the reasoning for tier 8 ship to have almost 20% DPM less then tier 7 ship. Is arc on Mogami 203s high?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lady Morgaga posted:

I got concealment system first. I was looking at stats and gun choices stump me. I have a choice between 15 155mm guns that turn slower then battleship guns do and guns from Myoko that turn much better then they did on Myoko but for some reason fire rate is reduced almost by 20 percent. I have no idea what is the reasoning for tier 8 ship to have almost 20% DPM less then tier 7 ship. Is arc on Mogami 203s high?

I think it's the exact same arc as the Myoko, but check and see.

And the reason things are hosed up is basically "Wargaming." Originally, I'm told, the Mogami was tier 7 and the Myoko was tier 8. Then they were swapped, but not everything was fixed.

The 155s turn really slowly because they used to be more strongly effected by Expert Marksman, so the nerf made them turn at the same speed with it (lol at anyone not having it on the Mogami).

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I think the tier 8 ship was supposed to be the tier 7 ships but then got bumped to tier 8 or something who knows what WG does.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

wdarkk posted:

I think it's the exact same arc as the Myoko, but check and see.

And the reason things are hosed up is basically "Wargaming." Originally, I'm told, the Mogami was tier 7 and the Myoko was tier 8. Then they were swapped, but not everything was fixed.

The 155s turn really slowly because they used to be more strongly effected by Expert Marksman, so the nerf made them turn at the same speed with it (lol at anyone not having it on the Mogami).

WARGAMING :argh:

I played one game in Mogami. It seems to be more maneuverable and stealthy then Myoko is and it seems it will have easier time keeping 203s on target. Is Expert Marksman really needed on Mogami now? With 203s it seems you dont really need it and with 155s it seems to be too little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Just got a survey about Warships. Wonder if it's doing badly enough they're worried about it. Hopefully they dedicate more resources to it, because I enjoy it a lot more than tanks.