Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

beatlegs posted:

And containers are never sealed improperly and human beings are perfect. It's so simple when you think about it.

You know all things have a chance at failure right? Also this energy sperging shows why fishmech is such a great poster.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Epic High Five posted:

Or as I like to put it, "what is the greener option: a new hybrid, or a used regular engine car?"

Depends heavily on what the used car is. Pretty big difference between a used Hummer vs a used 2008 ford explorer vs a used 88 Honda Civic. (And also well, whether your hybrid is a Prius or one of those godawful hybrid full size SUVs)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I own a used Civic, only need gas like every 6 weeks. Alot better then the gas every two weeks Deville I had.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Crowsbeak posted:

You know all things have a chance at failure right?

Yeah I'm not an idiot. The poster I was responding to said waste disposal was "no problem". An imperfect world isn't problem free.

And nuclear power is not the same as, you know, building a bridge or whatever, where a mistake won't continue to wreak havok for generations.

beatlegs fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 3, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Is Scientology being accepted into the evangelical fold? :psyduck:

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/05/franklin-graham-promotes-scientology-propaganda-in-anti-marijuana-facebook-rant/

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

beatlegs posted:

Yeah I'm not an idiot. The poster I was responding to said waste disposal was "no problem". An imperfect world isn't problem free.

And nuclear power is not the same as, you know, building a bridge or whatever, where a mistake won't continue to wreak havok for generations.

Like a coal plant or a coal mine. Or a rare earth metal mine. Or a lithium mine.

Well alot of evangelicalism is gnosticism repackaged....

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Or as I like to put it, "what is the greener option: a new hybrid, or a used regular engine car?"

Unfortunate they don't make enough used cars to meet long-term demand.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Was just listening to some station called Democracy Now that I stumbled to on the way home and they were doing this. They were somehow more worthless than NPR election coverage

Guest was throwing out a bunch of speculation about how it will be contested and how Sanders should win, and instead of the host asking him about ethical concerns about stealing the will of the people by the person who was most loudly against it to start, it was literally GOP debate style "well your detractors and people who disagree with what you said gave said this, but they're obviously wrong. What are your thought?"

Never heard of this program before but if that's the quality of their poo poo then that's also the last time I'm tuning in lol

I used to listen to DemocracyNow a lot, then I stopped for a while, now I am listening to them again because the workday is long and I often run out of podcasts to listen to otherwise. The reason I stopped listening was because they were late to begin covering Geoengineering, which I heard a lot about from other sources. I could tell it was the first time they had encountered the subject and they cast an immediate judgement as anti-Geoengineering, because it was like the corporations who caused the environment problems were promising they could get us out of it. (Technically correct, but really reductionist and oversimplified.) Also their coverage of Israel/Palestine, which sounds fine on the face of it, but if you haven't been paying strict attention to it since 1970 then it is absolutely imprenetrable. Not the most beginner-friendly news item.

The comparison of DN as left-wing Fox News is correct, but the real story of it is sadder than that. They're trying so hard. So, so hard. Amy Goodman probably should be retiring or grooming a new host, but somehow she just keeps making more and more work for herself. She is literally losing her voice on air, much in the same way Bernie Sanders gave himself bronchitis from doing too many rallies, only much more sustained over time.

As far as the coverage goes, they have good days and bad days, but there s a very peculiar reason why that is. I would understand them more as a ground-floor journalism sort of thing where a lot of reporters who go on to do better thing later get their start. Jeremy Scahill used to do reporting for them before he founded The Intercept. I also think the one reporter who covered the most of the Arab Spring in Egypt's Cario Square for all the American media was one of their regulars as well. It's the place where a lot journalist make their beginner's mistakes.

Morroque fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 3, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

beatlegs posted:

Not even Chernobyl has wreaked havoc for generations, and that was the worst case scenario, literally.

Meanwhile fossil fuel plants have literally wreaked global havoc for generations just by operating normally.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

beatlegs posted:

1959: "Flying people to the moon, lol"

You know, we could just be rational and agree that it produces large amounts of lethal poison, but that'd probably be expecting too much.

I'm almost there baby.

Tell me you are like Galileo.

Tell me, "as Gandhi said, "first they laugh at you, then you win.'"

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

fishmech posted:

Not even Chernobyl has wreaked havoc for generations, and that was the worst case scenario, literally.
Nuclear is necessary at this time. Clean energy is possible. Two valid thoughts that should coexist.

beatlegs fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 3, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

beatlegs posted:

Nuclear is necessary at this time. Clean energy is possible. Two valid thoughts that should coexist.

yeah but in the absence of either massive population reduction or a global shift in personal lifestyle to be extremely energy conscious at all times (not just greenwashing, like daily active eco thinking in a majority of the populace) global energy demand is just going to increase and there is no plausible scenario in which clean energy will be able to meet that demand. which is why we need to pursue nuclear now as a supplement

all of the arguments you're leveling against nuclear power can be leveled against fossil fuel as well as in many cases clean energy as well. and we need at least two of the three to keep on like trends indicate

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

beatlegs posted:

Go check out the thread. It's interesting

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505076

Nuclear power is by far the least lethal energy source, all told.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

beatlegs posted:

This idea that people who are pro-renewable are hysterically afraid of meltdowns is a strawman. It's about the waste & the cost.

I know this is not the place for video game chat but this reminds me way too much of Anno 2070. Three factions each with their own power generation in a city-builder game.

Ecos are, well, hippy-dippy planet huggers and produce their power by wind, solar, and fancy heat reclamation from their houses. Admittedly they have reason to do so since in the game sea-levels have risen to near-Waterworld levels due to global warming.

Techs are more interested in building stuff underwater and produce power by under-water tidal turbines. Oh and they get an underwater geothermal plant in the expansion that work by generating tsunamis (not here or now to discuss how stupid that is).

Tycoons like the old stuff. Mainly coal and eventually nuclear power.

Problem is the game was made by a German studio, Blue Byte, so nuclear cannot be allowed to be good at all. In addition to nuclear power basically being fueled on player sanity (each power plant will give you a warning every 5-10 minutes about "an incident has occured: the janitor farted" to make you check just to make sure the stupid thing didn't go Chernobyl) the Tycoon citizens will regularly flip their poo poo and demand you destroy all nuclear plants on the island they're living or they'll stop paying taxes for 15 minutes. Meanwhile Eco and Tech citizens don't give two shits about nuclear reactors.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Alkydere posted:

I know this is not the place for video game chat but this reminds me way too much of Anno 2070. Three factions each with their own power generation in a city-builder game.

Ecos are, well, hippy-dippy planet huggers and produce their power by wind, solar, and fancy heat reclamation from their houses. Admittedly they have reason to do so since in the game sea-levels have risen to near-Waterworld levels due to global warming.

Techs are more interested in building stuff underwater and produce power by under-water tidal turbines. Oh and they get an underwater geothermal plant in the expansion that work by generating tsunamis (not here or now to discuss how stupid that is).

Tycoons like the old stuff. Mainly coal and eventually nuclear power.

Problem is the game was made by a German studio, Blue Byte, so nuclear cannot be allowed to be good at all. In addition to nuclear power basically being fueled on player sanity (each power plant will give you a warning every 5-10 minutes about "an incident has occured: the janitor farted" to make you check just to make sure the stupid thing didn't go Chernobyl) the Tycoon citizens will regularly flip their poo poo and demand you destroy all nuclear plants on the island they're living or they'll stop paying taxes for 15 minutes. Meanwhile Eco and Tech citizens don't give two shits about nuclear reactors.

I've never understood why Germens lose their poo poo over nuclear power, when Japan is somewhat ok with the concept. It feels like it should be the other way around, FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

beatlegs posted:

Nuclear is clean energy. Scientists figured this out decades ago, why can't you accept it? Yes we'd all love to have fusion instead because it's even better, but that poo poo's really hard and we still haven't cracked it yet, and probably won't for at least another 30 years.

Hydro can't be meaningfully expanded without ruining tons of ecosystems immediately and directly. Wave power turned out to be overhyped, especially when you make allowances for safe shipping. Solar don't work at night, and during many days. Wind is almost never constant. Geothermal has severe location issues for large-scale power extraction. Biofuels are just a different way to put out a little less total carbon.

And you need extremely massive power storage to actually be able to handle natural fluctuations in most of these modes of power generation, which poses its own massive environmental risks, and possible infeasibility at some levels. And if you choose to instead go the route of massive overbuilding so even low time power generation is enough to sustain civilization at minimal storage use, you then need to find safe ways to dump all the unusuable excess generation from peak time, else the whole grid overloads and breaks.

Klaus88 posted:

I've never understood why Germens lose their poo poo over nuclear power, when Japan is somewhat ok with the concept. It feels like it should be the other way around, FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.

Put simply there was many years of effective lobbying of the public in favor of other things in Germany - and a quick movement to excuse the building of new fossil fuel plants.

There was also some pretty lovely plants in East Germany that got quickly shut down after unification, which were pointed to as poster children for all nuclear plants in the country, iirc.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 3, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Klaus88 posted:

Yeah, the sequel, Anno 2250, has the sea levels dropping again but the world's in an energy crisis. Well we can't use fossil fuels because our atmosphere works on Micheal Bay rules apparently so we need some source of new, clean energy...something that might have to do with fiddling with various energies on a sub-atomic level to generate tremendous amounts of heat and energy for cheap!

Hmm....Hrmm...

Oh I know, let's colonize the moon, set up helium-3 fusion plants and beam the power back to Earth! Also, build space elevators above the arctic circle.

Fun games, but man the German absolutely zealous anti-nuclear bias shows in hilarious ways.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Grognan posted:

Haha holy poo poo, have you ever seen what mass scale industrial processes do to make solar panels and smelt steel?

Grognan posted:

Haha holy poo poo, have you ever seen what mass scale industrial processes do to make solar panels and smelt steel?

To let the streams of my wonkgeekery cross over with my gamenerdy, I'd just like to point out that in the White Wolf game line there's this big evil corporation that is basically a Captain Planet villain with a board of directors made up of lovecraftian horrors. They're the ones trying to clear cut the Amazon just to let the wood rot on the side of the road, and are behind both the Exxon oil spill and that well blowing up in the Gulf, sell cheap meat that destroy your health, all kinds of cagey poo poo like that. They're evil, full stop.

When the hybrid rolled around they did not try to hide it or keep it from reaching the masses.Instead they've since subsidized any work put out on, cackling the whole drat way to the bank and their alien overlords. They found a way to coopt idiots in to paying too much money for a vehicle that's never going to be efficient as promised, would cost more, and would involve kids in Africa and China being sent in to mine the rare-earth metals and other poisonous things you need to have them run. And the would-be green-peace people get to drive around their STILL non-zero emissions vehicles, still spewing fumes around, and the net corruption done on the other side of the planet is just as bad

It's a bit like Crowley in Good Omens, who designed that bit of speed way to just inject faint levels of corruption in anyone that drives it.

It's great!

Some of the other stuff... not so much. The 7th Generation stuff was rightfully torn to shreds in the fluff, but ties in with the whole "pray the gay away" camps and other issues.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, the sequel, Anno 2250, has the sea levels dropping again but the world's in an energy crisis. Well we can't use fossil fuels because our atmosphere works on Micheal Bay rules apparently so we need some source of new, clean energy...something that might have to do with fiddling with various energies on a sub-atomic level to generate tremendous amounts of heat and energy for cheap!

Hmm....Hrmm...

Oh I know, let's colonize the moon, set up helium-3 fusion plants and beam the power back to Earth! Also, build space elevators above the arctic circle.

Fun games, but man the German absolutely zealous anti-nuclear bias shows in hilarious ways.

It was funnier when the Finns did that moon story. (Iron Sky :ssh:)

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Klaus88 posted:

Japan has always had a weird relationship with nuclear power, and since Fukushima public opinion still shows the majority support closing all the nuclear power plants. They were all taken offline for inspection after what happened in 2011 and only a very small handful have actually managed to be restarted.

There have also been anti-nuclear demonstrations since then, but recently those demonstrations have kind of combined with people protesting Abe re-interpreting Article 9 of the constitution that barred Japan from going to war.

The general consensus is that, "Japan is earthquake country so there's no way to use nuclear power safely." which isn't true with newer reactor designs, but is true with the reactors the public won't let be upgraded due to their fear. It's a bad situation, and the public is badly in need of education.

On top of that there's a crazy amount of NIMBY opposition to geothermal energy because the onsen industry screams bloody murder every time anyone proposes a site for a geothermal plant.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 3, 2016

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

beatlegs posted:

Everything you've said about nuclear power pegs you as quite a loving idiot, actually.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Hope you're happy beatlegs, this is what happens when you try to talk to goons about nuclear power

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

StandardVC10 posted:

Hope you're happy beatlegs, this is what happens when you try to talk to goons about nuclear power

Do not fear :science:. Nuclear power kills less people per kilowatt hour than any other power source and is therefore the most ethical.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
All in for nuclear energy, trying to resist a joke about using nukes on fracking operations.

Sometimes it feels like everyone's right and it does always get worse, but the anti-fracking groups give some hope.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nevvy Z posted:

Do not fear :science:. Nuclear power kills less people per kilowatt hour than any mother power source and is thus the most ethical.

I don't. But it seems to me that goons tend to advocate for nuclear power without engaging with the obstacles to its greater use in any meaningful way, and it comes across as more self-congratulatory than anything else. Like, good job, you're smarter than those benighted NIMBYs, but you're going to have to work with some of them to pull down the billion dollars a new nuclear plant is going to cost.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You know goons aren't actually trying to build a nuclear power plant, right? That's a bit beyond the realm of goon projects.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

beatlegs posted:

Like massive amounts of radioactive waste we have no idea what to do with sitting in barrels which are leaking out into the environment?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kxSW1jkTdI&t=360s

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
For right wing media spilling into real life, there was a shooting threat at a Target in Illinois today over the bathroom policy. That store called the Target I work at to warn us about it, but since I wasn't the one who answered the call I don't know if the failed gunman specifically threatened my store or not. So I had to spend tonight worrying if some bigoted nut job would come to my work and shoot the store up because they couldn't handle the idea of the person in the stall next to them being born with different genitals. Thanks RWM!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

For right wing media spilling into real life, there was a shooting threat at a Target in Illinois today over the bathroom policy. That store called the Target I work at to warn us about it, but since I wasn't the one who answered the call I don't know if the failed gunman specifically threatened my store or not. So I had to spend tonight worrying if some bigoted nut job would come to my work and shoot the store up because they couldn't handle the idea of the person in the stall next to them being born with different genitals. Thanks RWM!

Further proof that transgender pedophiles should go to the bathroom that God made for them. :jerkbag:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I care so much about the safety of people I'm willing to just shoot and kill them!!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The_Rob posted:

I care so much about the safety of people I'm willing to just shoot and kill them!!

Extreme right wingers don't give the slightest drat about people: they just want something to excuse their own lives and rage. Wound collecting is very popular among these circles and encouraged by their media.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Jesus gently caress- can we stop with the nuke derail already? Not a single post about it has been on topic, so take it to whatever threads are a better fit.

Happens anytime someone mentions nuclear power, gun control, what to call transvestites or weathervanes.

And for shits sake, mentioning those topics is not an invitation for more derails. Except maybe weathervanes.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

MrUnderbridge posted:

Jesus gently caress- can we stop with the nuke derail already? Not a single post about it has been on topic, so take it to whatever threads are a better fit.

You first. What's this other subject it's so important for you to post about that you didn't just post about it?

StandardVC10 posted:

I don't. But it seems to me that goons tend to advocate for nuclear power without engaging with the obstacles to its greater use in any meaningful way, and it comes across as more self-congratulatory than anything else. Like, good job, you're smarter than those benighted NIMBYs, but you're going to have to work with some of them to pull down the billion dollars a new nuclear plant is going to cost.

Why don't you post a thread about it. For real. I love nuclear power. I'm going to write glorious leader Kim Jong Un and ask him to turn away from the imperialist West's ideals. Do not seek to become a great nation on their terms, by strength of arm, but by saving the world with advanced nuclear research and reactor design.

:science: :911: :justpost:

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 3, 2016

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Dabir posted:

You know goons aren't actually trying to build a nuclear power plant, right? That's a bit beyond the realm of goon projects.

But it could be!

https://harpers.org/archive/1998/11/the-radioactive-boy-scout/

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
In case the rest of you have not seen yet someone pulled a too slow handshake on Ted Cruz and called him a fish monster.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3774247&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post459451173

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

okay, as penance for stirring up the nuclear stuff i bring you newrepublic.txt

quote:

Steve Fraser, like many on the left, tends to attack the rich and sympathize with the poor almost reflexively. Although I share those sentiments, I question whether the best way to create a more egalitarian society is for the left to continue to lodge its hopes with the less well-off, only to be disappointed when they do not act as leftists expect them to do. (The most current example is the failure of African American and Hispanic voters to support in greater numbers the more left-wing candidate, Bernie Sanders, in the 2016 Democratic primaries.) It seems to me that when one party in a two-party system is under the sway of the fanatical and the fantasists, the other party should seek as broad a coalition as possible. That will not happen when writers like Steve Fraser call wealthy do-gooders “insufferably smug and holier than thou” or “spoiled narcissists,” let alone a whole mélange of similar epithets. I like my liberals where I can find them, and if some of them, although increasingly fewer, are found in limos, I can live with that.

https://newrepublic.com/article/133013/myth-limousine-liberal

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
^^^ It's always nice to see that my own "side" can fry my brain with irony in its own right :psyduck:

Turn it over to Goonfleet. It may or may not get built, but we'd know everything about China's current R&D within a year, tops.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 3, 2016

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Jesus gently caress it's unironically Love Me, I'm a Liberal in article form

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

icantfindaname posted:

It's not often that I think that five years in a gulag would be the best thing for another person, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Azuth0667 posted:

In case the rest of you have not seen yet someone pulled a too slow handshake on Ted Cruz and called him a fish monster.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3774247&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post459451173

This is the funniest thing I've seen all week.