Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I lied, everybody's still cheating at level 40 it doesn't drop off at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I looked up ear farming and in a couple of forums people said they have much higher drop rates when they play disconnected, I'm going to try later and report back

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Aw yeah, fog gate time! You know, once you got into it, Irithyll wasn't really that bad! Alright, who we got...

Pontiff Sulyvhan, huh? And with two swords, too, very fancy. Doesn't seem too complicated.

Hm, that elemental chip is really annoying, I'm going to need to take a quick estus break next time there's a lull in his pattern.

Alright, time to--no, wait, he's still attacking.

Okay, now I'll back off and hea--wow, that's a long lunge.

Okay, this time I'll--well, that was a net gain at least.

Alright, at this range I should--nope, guess not. He's not even moving that fast, is he?

Alright, close enough to full, now I can--wait, I've only hit him like twice so far.

poo poo.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

The Lord of Hats posted:

Aw yeah, fog gate time! You know, once you got into it, Irithyll wasn't really that bad! Alright, who we got...

Pontiff Sulyvhan, huh? And with two swords, too, very fancy. Doesn't seem too complicated.

Hm, that elemental chip is really annoying, I'm going to need to take a quick estus break next time there's a lull in his pattern.

Alright, time to--no, wait, he's still attacking.

Okay, now I'll back off and hea--wow, that's a long lunge.

Okay, this time I'll--well, that was a net gain at least.

Alright, at this range I should--nope, guess not. He's not even moving that fast, is he?

Alright, close enough to full, now I can--wait, I've only hit him like twice so far.

poo poo.

Wait until you see his stand.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Can someone please post that "To be continued" video with the spider? I need to see it ten times every day for the rest of my life

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Well, I maxed out all of my covenants by playing against Japanese players at level 200 in NG+++. They were all awful and appear to have tried to grind levels to make up for it. It's loving weird both how large and how bad the high level player pool is in Asia.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Wait until you see his stand.

Ayup. Just got wrecked by『STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN』

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Thanks a lot.

Now I have to see if I can turn this on permanently. In DS2 I had a silly thing that made all magic bounce off my body.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
The elevators with no enemies on the way back to twin princes is annoying... if you're not going to put enemies on the way to a boss don't put 5 minutes of elevator rides either just stick a bonfire right there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why will it even spawn you at the end of Farron Keep if the host never got past Crucifixion Hill. Why would From waste everyone's time like that.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I lied, everybody's still cheating at level 40 it doesn't drop off at all.

invaded a dude in catacombs who had infinite hp, was poisoned or something, and was dual-wielding darkswords. the ultimate life form

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

invaded a dude in catacombs who had infinite hp, was poisoned or something, and was dual-wielding darkswords. the ultimate life form

I could have beaten him.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Parrying Pontiff Sulyvhan so you can dump with the Avelyn is as effective as you'd expect!

Not at all

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Got summoned into a host's world, who had used the giant seed. I led a phantom and another invader to a basilisk who cursed them to death. :v:

Of course, I was tricked in the end too; the host had left the level (or never entered), and the black crystal bugged out and didn't work. It played the animation and sound, I just didn't leave until I died. Which didn't take very long, because a one inch drop finished me off somehow. :haw:

e: Two lag switchers today too. Jesus just play the game you cowards

e: Also that's four times tonight I fulfilled my duty and got nothing for it. Got the souls, so it's recognizing I'm doing it. It just won't give the rewards.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 3, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
...So, after helping someone with the Greatwood so I could ember up for my own kill, not only did my Greatwood fight cease to exist, and not only did I not get either the Soul of the Greatwood or the goddamn boss soul transmuter.

But my Soul of Vordt also went away.

This is a loving puzzler, and nothing looked obviously awry until I checked my inventory.

So I think it's a bug rather than nefariosity.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 3, 2016

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Ayup. Just got wrecked by『STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN』

And just two or three tries later, and Sulyvahn went down.

Did... Did I finally Git Gud?

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
I liked Pontiff Sulvayn because he's the first boss i couldn't just 100% cheese with magic, only like 75% or so. Since this was my first Dark Souls I wanted to dive in at the deep end and pick something that wouldnt be harder to play rather than just slamming the knight but It's just made the game a joke tbh. Playing a spellcaster in this game has been very underwhelming, the spells i've used all game (up until the beginning of anor londo/profane capital) are just variations on literally one spell, soul arrow, great soul arrow, great heavy soul arrow. I'm using Soul Spear right now just for the sake of variety and although it does good damage and can pierce multiple enemies it's not as good as GHSA as far as FP:DMG ratio is concered. Does spellcasting ever get good? The only good thing I can say about it so far is rapport, I do love the idea of being able to charm enemies to my side.

Haven't had much luck in PvP either, my best attempts have been blind casting the pyromancies like Profaned Flame and the Fire orb (since the targetted sorceries get easily dodged) it's gotten me a few wins but i usually just get shitcanned by melee warriors.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...So, after helping someone with the Greatwood so I could ember up for my own kill, not only did my Greatwood fight cease to exist, and not only did I not get either the Soul of the Greatwood or the goddamn boss soul transmuter.

But my Soul of Vordt also went away.

This is a loving puzzler, and nothing looked obviously awry until I checked my inventory.

So I think it's a bug rather than nefariosity.

Interesting lore note, though: Iudex Gundyr's arm doesn't go treeform until A) the Dark parasite takes him over, and B) you whack it a bit and the Dark falls off the arm. That probably means something, I'm just not sure what.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I'm starting to feel like people are ignoring my advice about our lord and savior, weirdo polearm offhand setup. I've found it effective with both scythes and the champ's halberd. Haven't toyed around that much with anything other than straight swords in the main hand, but I suspect several weapon types could fit the bill for sufficient reach and speed to work in this combination. I must emphasize that you can combo R1s out of your poke, and that you can punish attempting to roll the poke with... more R1s. It's basically like playing with a straight sword that has polearm reach and that's exactly as stupid as it sounds.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Maybe the dark is an extension of humanity, and in the absence of both it and fire all matter goes back to what has been established as the basis of everything, e.g. archtrees?

Maybe the flame going out is like the heat death of the universe for souls land, and everything is turning into trees as the world moves closer to stasis.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 3, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm helping at twin princes and am using Manikin Claws because reasons. Is it possible to make bosses bleed?

In the same vein good god the twin dancers blades SUCK. They are slow as hell and don't seem to do like any damage. I don't see how people dual wield anything in this game without a shield, I just get wrecked every time.

Jastiger fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 3, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Interesting lore note, though: Iudex Gundyr's arm doesn't go treeform until A) the Dark parasite takes him over, and B) you whack it a bit and the Dark falls off the arm. That probably means something, I'm just not sure what.

I noticed while trundling through the poison swamps that the curse nodes on the greatwood are on some trees in there too.

Also, I loving hate the estoc.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Digirat posted:

So far I am actually really enjoying the bosses in this game, which is not something I expected to say because they are usually one of my least favorite parts of these games. In every game except demon's souls they have felt like gigantic spikes in the difficulty curve that turn your steady progress into beating your head against a brick wall until you get it. So far in this game however, their difficulty has been much more comparable to the area they're in, and they have been spaced out much more, so there's a lot more of the kind of gameplay I enjoy. They have also been very creative, instead of "big dude with big weapon" #26. The pope union was a great high point so far and I hope the game keeps this up, because boy are there a lot of things I have to say that are not compliments.

Ahaha the very next boss was big dude with big weapon plus typical poo poo camera. Why did I expect anything else. No idea what the point of that entire area was.

At least I felt like being a sorcerer would have probably worked really well on that fight, which I can't say for a lot of other things. I have seen 1 weapon that scales with magic and 2 weapons that scale with faith, and approximately a million weapons for dex and strength characters, in addition to way more gems for those builds.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Ok. I give. I've looked all over.

Where the heck is the pale londor set?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dazzling Addar posted:

If you did all the steps, it's next to Yoel's dead body in Firelink.

e: and if you didn't, hoo boy... That set is as convoluted as the NPC quests in this game. You gotta

Before beating the Abyss Watchers:
- Get Yoel
- Get 5 sigils
- Cure the sigils to make Yuria angry
- Get invaded in the swamp next to the Basilisks, kill the NPC

then
Before beating the Pontiff:
- Get invaded in the area past the first Silver Knights, kill the NPC

And then the set will spawn near Yoel's dead body. :iiam:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 3, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jastiger posted:

I'm helping at twin princes and am using Manikin Claws because reasons. Is it possible to make bosses bleed?

In the same vein good god the twin dancers blades SUCK. They are slow as hell and don't seem to do like any damage. I don't see how people dual wield anything in this game without a shield, I just get wrecked every time.

Yeah, a lot of bosses can bleed. Some of them get destroyed by it, too. The current speedrun strategy is a high-Luck build with Anri's Straight Sword and Carthus Rouge (adds bleed to your weapon).

Also, I eventually found that trying to block things was getting me pretty thoroughly wrecked in the mid- to late-game, so I dropped the shield and went with dual wielding Gotthard's Twinswords (or two-handing the Dragonslayer Swordspear). It made things a lot more fun and I did better, too. I just kept a Buckler around for parrying.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Yeah, a lot of bosses can bleed. Some of them get destroyed by it, too. The current speedrun strategy is a high-Luck build with Anri's Straight Sword and Carthus Rouge (adds bleed to your weapon).

Also, I eventually found that trying to block things was getting me pretty thoroughly wrecked in the mid- to late-game, so I dropped the shield and went with dual wielding Gotthard's Twinswords (or two-handing the Dragonslayer Swordspear). It made things a lot more fun and I did better, too. I just kept a Buckler around for parrying.

How though you just can't move fast enough to block stuff. I just get OWNED lol. I don't have enough time to attack and get out of the way without a shield. Crazy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dazzling Addar posted:

You have to;

1.) Get Yuria to show up before Abyss Watchers
2.) Piss her off by healing the dark sigil
3.) Kill the Pale Shade invader that spawns in Farron Keep
4.)Kill the second Pale Shade that spawns in Irthyll Valley
5.) Go to where Yoel was to find the set

Its stupid.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

You know I was hesitant about that Carthus Bloodring but it's really incredibly good.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

You have to;

Its stupid.

You can also piss her off by killing her, like I did

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Does anyone have a suggestion for good gloves to go with the Clandestine Coat?

I cannot find gloves that work with that coat to save my life.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

It's loving stupid that taking any hits in this game means taking more from the stun. Goddamn.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Harrow posted:

On my strength character I never had this problem because greatshields kick rear end. I tried to reenact THE WALL in Anor Londo but it didn't work out so groovy.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Thank you. I did all of the steps more or less by accident, but I heard some people had found the set by doing that and I went searching everywhere from the Farron Keep to the rear end end of Irythyl and I couldn't find it. Obviously, it's in firelink!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FsiX_xkjuQ&t=439s

spoilers

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

You have to;

Its stupid.

best way to piss her off is first go and summon the pale shadow near abyss watchers since he gives a gesture. then go kill Yuria for the armor and go and get invaded by the pale shadow.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jastiger posted:

How though you just can't move fast enough to block stuff. I just get OWNED lol. I don't have enough time to attack and get out of the way without a shield. Crazy.

ABD: Always Be Dodging.

Eventually you get a good feeling for how enemy attack patterns tend to work so you can use your dodge iframes to dodge through their attacks instead of blocking them. It requires more timing but takes less Stamina, which is the trade-off.

Great shields are a whole different story, because their high Stability means you can block more attacks per Stamina meter.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jastiger posted:

roll, man, roll

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've found the perfect, most satisfying revenge for someone who's bad enough at the game to summon a gank squad. Sunbro in front of a boss door or at a bonfire and just don't help. Perfectly roll through the enemies and bosses while mocking your host and attacking them. It really makes you feel better after one gank squad after another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for good gloves to go with the Clandestine Coat?

I cannot find gloves that work with that coat to save my life.

It's hard but Jailer Gloves? Fire Keeper Gloves? Karla's Gloves? Pale Shade Gloves?