Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Gorgeous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Becky!

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Faerunner posted:

Nah, building a coop is easy. I managed it, and I had literally never put anything bigger than a shelf together before. It's not master carpenter quality but it's weather-proof and the chickens don't complain if the door's a little off square...

Thank you for the reassurance! I'm most worried about weather-proofing, as it's windy as hell here and rained twice as much as usual this April. I'm sure El Niņo won't help this summer either. My entire backyard slopes downward so I'm scared of drowning my chickens!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

samizdat posted:

Thank you for the reassurance! I'm most worried about weather-proofing, as it's windy as hell here and rained twice as much as usual this April. I'm sure El Niņo won't help this summer either. My entire backyard slopes downward so I'm scared of drowning my chickens!

Chickens are pretty impervious to temperature as long as they are out of the wind and elements, but you don't want to locate it in an area where standing water is possible. I had to rebuild my entire coop last year to make it rat proof. I don't know if that is an issue where you are, but rats absolutely can kill chickens.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah I'm looking at elevated coops and designs that are up on posts to be safe. I'm not sure if there are rats here, but I wouldn't be surprised because there's some farm land in the area. Would a chicken have an issue if water ran down past the run area or would it figure out that it should go inside?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Chickens are pretty impervious to temperature as long as they are out of the wind and elements, but you don't want to locate it in an area where standing water is possible. I had to rebuild my entire coop last year to make it rat proof. I don't know if that is an issue where you are, but rats absolutely can kill chickens.

What's weird is rats tunnel in and just hang out with my chickens, Templeton-style, and never so much as eat an egg. They'll enjoy some food when we feed the chickens, but there seems to be almost a camaraderie.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

For our chicken coop we took hardware cloth and buried it around the perimeter of the coop eighteen inches deep, to prevent burrowing. Hard work, but it does give us some peace of mind in that regard.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

CountFosco posted:

For our chicken coop we took hardware cloth and buried it around the perimeter of the coop eighteen inches deep, to prevent burrowing. Hard work, but it does give us some peace of mind in that regard.

I did the same thing. Like Brawnfire, rats came to snack on the chicken food, but then they discovered chicken tastes better. I couldn't plug the holes fast enough, they kept getting in. The chickens seemed fine during the day, they were safe at night where they perched, but were especially vulnerable at dawn and dusk. I rebuilt everything with half inch mesh hardware cloth, buried it around the perimeter of the run and also dug up the run and put a layer on the ground underneath, and built a double layer wall around the run. I stapled steel wool on any visible crack on coop. It wasn't cheap or easy, but it is a fortress.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I did the same thing. Like Brawnfire, rats came to snack on the chicken food, but then they discovered chicken tastes better. I couldn't plug the holes fast enough, they kept getting in. The chickens seemed fine during the day, they were safe at night where they perched, but were especially vulnerable at dawn and dusk. I rebuilt everything with half inch mesh hardware cloth, buried it around the perimeter of the run and also dug up the run and put a layer on the ground underneath, and built a double layer wall around the run. I stapled steel wool on any visible crack on coop. It wasn't cheap or easy, but it is a fortress.

I have six chicks growing up rapidly, and have been thinking of a run improvement. I should probably work on making it more secure, just in case the rats suddenly crave meat.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oh man neat, I found a guinea hen of mine that's sitting on a pile of eggs literally bigger than she is.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Oh man neat, I found a guinea hen of mine that's sitting on a pile of eggs literally bigger than she is.

Yesterday, we couldn't find Pewter. We went looking all over the backyard, and found her looking like a chicken pancake amongst some bushes. Underneath her? NINE EGGS. We can definitely verify hers are the pink ones now.

We also had no idea where Not Crow was, and ended up figuring she was eaten or something by the time we had to close up the coop for the night. Today, she's out there pecking amidst the rest like she was never gone.

Chickens are weird.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Hardware cloth is under mine too. Good thing since something tried to borrow into it from underneath. I can't recommend it enough.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Scratch that! I just happened to find a nest and she was LAYING not broody!

E: They ARE all fertile though so I'm gonna take up a collection and see what happens.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Turns out Not Crow had a little spot behind a neighbor's fence two houses down.

ELEVEN eggs.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
turkeys peep non stop at all hours of the night

they are driving me loving insane please make it stop

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Ausrotten posted:

peep

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
i'm moving them to the kennels this weekend because if they wake me up one more time im gonna snap and feed them to the dogs. i need to get a better brooder set up there anyways because im p sure guinea keets are also going to be annoyingly loud

they are insanely cute and kinda sweet though so its not all bad

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Ausrotten posted:

i'm moving them to the kennels this weekend because if they wake me up one more time im gonna snap and feed them to the dogs. i need to get a better brooder set up there anyways because im p sure guinea keets are also going to be annoyingly loud

they are insanely cute and kinda sweet though so its not all bad

One of our turkeys last year, nicknamed Whistler for obvious reasons, was the loudest most annoying bird I've ever known. Sweet jesus, it was nearly nonstop whistling and noise with her.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I have never had turkeys and you guys are making me happy about that. Quails on the other hand are an absolute dream as far as noise goes.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Lynza posted:

One of our turkeys last year, nicknamed Whistler for obvious reasons, was the loudest most annoying bird I've ever known. Sweet jesus, it was nearly nonstop whistling and noise with her.

that is a very appropriate name for a turkey

e: one of my cochins decided to get broody it seems. boy she was loving pissed when i tried to take the eggs from her, i don't think i've ever seen her fat rear end move that fast

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 6, 2016

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

PSWII60 posted:

Quails on the other hand are an absolute dream as far as noise goes.
as long as you keep the genders balanced! i didn't know how to tell them apart when i started out and ended up with a 75:25 rooster:hen ratio (unscrupulous poultry farmers selling me three roosters as a "breeding trio" :mad:) so all day and all night all i heard was koo-KREE! koo-KREE! koo-KREE! on the other hand that makes it easier for me to find them when they escape, because nothing else around here makes that noise so i just have to follow it and eventually i'll find the lost roo

unrelated:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PSWII60 posted:

I have never had turkeys and you guys are making me happy about that. Quails on the other hand are an absolute dream as far as noise goes.

I loving love turkey noises.

I also love the stupid rear end koo-KREE noises.

Make birds make noises at me all day but the second the pig starts screaming I want to go get a knife.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I loving love turkey noises.

I also love the stupid rear end koo-KREE noises.

Make birds make noises at me all day but the second the pig starts screaming I want to go get a knife.

I would probably be okay with turkey noises, I'm just happy I didn't get any because I'm sure my neighbors would have a fit. I used to have for Roosters that would repeatedly crow throughout the night at a streetlamp. They had a fit about that too. I wish I'd have known long ago how much I enjoy raising poultry and farming in general. I would probably be living in a fairly different area with a fairly different lifestyle.

How are guinea fowl? My roommate wants some.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
guineas are probably not a good idea if your neighbors threw a fit about roosters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_B2lMEyBsk

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
guinea fowls are the loudest little shits in the world

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

my life is out of control

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I want to make a wood sign to hang on my coop called "Fort Clucks"

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
go away

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
broodface is the best

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

She looks hungover. :3:

New brood during coop renovations.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 8, 2016

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Ausrotten posted:

york york york york york! york york york york york! york york york york york...?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Can't stop won't stop brooding

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Brawnfire posted:

Can't stop won't stop brooding

Wow look at that expression. That's some powerbrooding right there.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i had one tiny black australorp duckwing cross try to brood 22 eggs. she spread her wings out to try to cover them all so for a few days she was a flat plane of feathers about 14 inches wide and 2 inches deep with a furious pointy face. then our big white sussex cross hen jumped into the nesting box with her, they brooded the eggs together - they'd leave at the same time to feed and have a bath and another chook would come in and gently turn the eggs while they were gone - and although they lost most of them to ninja reptiles they ended up with six chicks, which they've raised cooperatively ever since. they sleep in the same box still and never leave each others' side. gay hens

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

absolutely ridiculous

(they were both moulting when these photos were taken so they look kind of haggard)

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
I'm not even sure pompom is setting on real eggs. in the half second i hand my hand under her before she tried to eat my eyeballs all i felt were ceramic eggs

godspeed dumbass

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Avshalom posted:

i had one tiny black australorp duckwing cross try to brood 22 eggs. she spread her wings out to try to cover them all so for a few days she was a flat plane of feathers about 14 inches wide and 2 inches deep with a furious pointy face. then our big white sussex cross hen jumped into the nesting box with her, they brooded the eggs together - they'd leave at the same time to feed and have a bath and another chook would come in and gently turn the eggs while they were gone - and although they lost most of them to ninja reptiles they ended up with six chicks, which they've raised cooperatively ever since. they sleep in the same box still and never leave each others' side. gay hens

I belive the term you want is "Lesbihens" :v:.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I belive the term you want is "Lesbihens" :v:.

:kimchi: ADORABLE lesbihens, too!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Ausrotten posted:

I'm not even sure pompom is setting on real eggs. in the half second i hand my hand under her before she tried to eat my eyeballs all i felt were ceramic eggs

godspeed dumbass
the important thing is that she believes in herself