Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The schools around here frequently have the SPEAK MANDARIN TO LOVE YOUR COUNTRY messages on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

The schools around here frequently have the SPEAK MANDARIN TO LOVE YOUR COUNTRY messages on them.

A lot of that here is cause it's assume Sichuanese is just really weird and bad Mandarin instead of it's own distinct language/topolect.

Too bad sichuanese owns.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Literally everyone born in Guangdong province speaks at least one of Cantonese, Hakka, or Teochew, and often more than 1 of those.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

fart simpson posted:

Literally everyone born in Guangdong province speaks at least one of Cantonese, Hakka, or Teochew, and often more than 1 of those.

*cough* Shenzhen

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

What about it?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Fall Sick and Die posted:

*cough* Shenzhen

Was going to say.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Fall Sick was just saying that the Shenzen dialect is called *cough* because they pollute their own air so much that it spills over to Hong Kong in a horrific display of linguistic imperialism from the Mainland once again

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Magna Kaser posted:

A lot of that here is cause it's assume Sichuanese is just really weird and bad Mandarin instead of it's own distinct language/topolect.

Too bad sichuanese owns.

Is that the dialect where people swapped N and L sounds and it's really lovely and confusing whenever they have to use mandarin or english?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LentThem posted:

Is that the dialect where people swapped N and L sounds and it's really lovely and confusing whenever they have to use mandarin or english?

No thats fulan Hunan, though it does pop up in SW Chongqing and Sichuan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuanese_Mandarin

The wiki on it is pretty comprehensive.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sichuanese is good, if you dislike it, you're a bad person

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Was going to say.

Say what? The word "Shenzhen"? What about it?

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

fart simpson posted:

Say what? The word "Shenzhen"? What about it?

Shenzhen

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

im guessing because shenzhen is mostly migrants that cantonese maybe isnt as common there. i dont know if its true because i dont go to shenzhen often because its a boring place

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
When people speak Cantonese it sounds like they're talking while using a tongue depressor

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Almost no one in Shenzhen who didn't migrate from elsewhere in Guangdong speaks Cantonese or other minor dialects of pure Chinese.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
What

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Almost no one in Shenzhen who didn't migrate from elsewhere in Guangdong speaks Cantonese or other minor dialects of pure Chinese.

That's why I said "born in Guangdong province" because I'm aware of the migrants in Shenzhen and Guangzhou. Cantonese and Teochew and (to a lesser extent) Hakka are all extremely common on the streets here though.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Shenzhen

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Samzan

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Schengen

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Shazam

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bangarang

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Shingy

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

rufio or pan

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

rufio4lyf

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Please stop trolling this thread

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Seems fairly par for the course to me.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Should I spend three days in and around Chengdu or three days in and around Guilin? Tourist, first time in China, but have been all over SE Asia and Hong Kong.

Chengdu seems more interesting to me, but Guilin has nice connections into Hong Kong via train, where I am flying out of.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Should I spend three days in and around Chengdu or three days in and around Guilin? Tourist, first time in China, but have been all over SE Asia and Hong Kong.

Chengdu seems more interesting to me, but Guilin has nice connections into Hong Kong via train, where I am flying out of.

If you're into nature-y things, there's a lot right next to Guilin and you'd have to head out a few hours to a day to get to the good nature-y stuff near Chengdu (though western Sichuan is one of my favorite places in the world for this) so on that a short trip Guilin might be nicer.

If you just want to eat/explore a Chinese city then Chengdu would be the better bet.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Guilin is great, but you're gonna need the help of a Chinese speaker to book one of those cool bamboo boat rides down the river. The outlying towns around Guilin are all tourist traps unfortunately. The Silver Reed Flute Cave is not worth your money. It's crowded and boring, and there's no way to get back from it if you're not with a tour group/bus ( we learned this the hard way and had to walk half an hour in the rain).

Chengdu, as others have said, is a great city to explore and eat szechuan cuisine. Definitely worth going to for the chance to try Tibetan food. The panda sanctuary is actually kind of neat, though giant pandas are stupid fatasses -the red pandas are waaay cooler.

Edit: since you said you were taking the train: trains to either chengdu or guilin have great scenery but for the love of god, take the train back out too, especially if you have a flight to catch in Beijing or Shanghai -I got hit with a 6 hour delay in Guilin last time we tried to fly out.

Ceciltron fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 3, 2016

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Ceciltron posted:

Guilin is great, but you're gonna need the help of a Chinese speaker to book one of those cool bamboo boat rides down the river. The outlying towns around Guilin are all tourist traps unfortunately. The Silver Reed Flute Cave is not worth your money. It's crowded and boring, and there's no way to get back from it if you're not with a tour group/bus ( we learned this the hard way and had to walk half an hour in the rain).

Chengdu, as others have said, is a great city to explore and eat szechuan cuisine. Definitely worth going to for the chance to try Tibetan food. The panda sanctuary is actually kind of neat, though giant pandas are stupid fatasses -the red pandas are waaay cooler.

Edit: since you said you were taking the train: trains to either chengdu or guilin have great scenery but for the love of god, take the train back out too, especially if you have a flight to catch in Beijing or Shanghai -I got hit with a 6 hour delay in Guilin last time we tried to fly out.

We are spending three days in Hong Kong before flying back to the states, so we have some wiggle room. It will be either the train back from Guilin or the plan back from Chengdu. I am more of a train person, so that is a definite plus for me.

I was planning on doing Leshan Buddah, Panda Sanctuary and Mt Quingcheng around Chengdu as day trips then eat/drink in the city later in the evening. Before this part of the trip we will be in Beijing, Shanghai and Xi'an, so I kind of want to get out of the city.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

This thread needs to get back to hurting the feelings of the Chinese people.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

duodenum posted:

No. This thread is about travel and tourism. This is where we discuss the best ways to avoid getting caught in Xi'An, city of Farts.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Guilin is a relaxing, laid back place, with interesting outdoor scenery. If I was on my own, I wouldn't hesitate to spend a few days relaxing there. Chengdu has pandas and a much larger city, with all the attractions. Also, the sichuan hotpot is amazing, and may leave your tastebuds insensible.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Ceciltron posted:

No. This thread is about travel and tourism. This is where we discuss the best ways to avoid getting caught in Xi'An, city of Farts.

Oh dear, wrong tab.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

That's only because Xi'an has the most excellent mix of food in China. The pollution is an unfortunate side-effect.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yeah there's really good seafood in xian

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

caberham posted:

Yeah there's really good seafood in xian

Except for the seafood. Xi'an being over 1,000 kms from the sea, means that it's rarely that fresh. Also, the rivers that freshwater fish in China are grown, aren't always that fresh. In fact, I'd just avoid fish.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

duodenum posted:

I'm down with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Cheesemaster200 posted:

We are spending three days in Hong Kong before flying back to the states, so we have some wiggle room. It will be either the train back from Guilin or the plan back from Chengdu. I am more of a train person, so that is a definite plus for me.

I was planning on doing Leshan Buddah, Panda Sanctuary and Mt Quingcheng around Chengdu as day trips then eat/drink in the city later in the evening. Before this part of the trip we will be in Beijing, Shanghai and Xi'an, so I kind of want to get out of the city.

If you go to Leshan or Qingcheng I recommend taking the train if you can. It's a bit more rigid time-wise than the buses, but they're almost never delayed and much faster overall. I've spent a lot of time in traffic jams while on the buses.

For Leshan you'll have 80000 people waiting to drive you to the Buddha from the train station, and shouldn't cost you more than 20~ or so RMB though they'll probably hike it up seeing a laowai.

With the Buddha I also recommend taking the boat around the Buddha as well. From the boat you get a really good view of the whole Buddha, and generally it's so crowded you can't really enjoy climbing it/being next to it since you're just crammed in there with one zillion other people.

Qingcheng is a similar deal though the buses there are a lot faster since it's a lot closer. When in Leshan I'd recommend grabbing lunch locally, they have some p good meats there. You can find smoked yak depending on the time of year and it is v good.

If you end up in Chengdu let me know and I can give you recs on where to eat/etc while you're here. I'd highly recommend trying out Tibetan food since it's one of the things you really can't get in any other big city in China short of Lhasa (and my Tibetan friends actually say it tastes better here since in Real Tibet they have basically no seasonings whatsoever).