Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The band Iron Maiden have a new action RPG coming out called Legacy of the Beast, co-developed by the folks who did the quite decent Warhammer 40K Carnage. Its out in soft launch in a few places, with an expected worldwide release in June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I've accumulated over $20 in survey bucks. It's kind of embarrassing at this point. What are some good games for me to consider that'll take a serious bite out of that amount?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

FredMSloniker posted:

I've accumulated over $20 in survey bucks. It's kind of embarrassing at this point. What are some good games for me to consider that'll take a serious bite out of that amount?

I liked Templar Battleforce, which is a turn based strategy RPG that was clearly inspired by Warhammer 40k.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FredMSloniker posted:

Pretty much any one Final Fantasy game will wreck that in a blink. Actually FF9 is $21 ffs

I have no idea if any of them are any good on Android though

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

FredMSloniker posted:

Hearthstone will gladly eat that and more.

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
Sproggiwood is a good buy if you like strategic rogue-lites, I've also been enjoying punch club but that's not everyone's cup of tea since it's very hands off for a game about punching.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Anyone know anything about Please Don't Touch Anything? Looks like a whimsical puzzle game but I have heard literally nothing about it

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

CrashCat posted:

Pretty much any one Final Fantasy game will wreck that in a blink. Actually FF9 is $21 ffs

I have no idea if any of them are any good on Android though
The 3D ones have fared better than the 2D ones did, by virtue of not having low-res sprites to upconvert.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Muffinlord posted:

The 3D ones have fared better than the 2D ones did, by virtue of not having low-res sprites to upconvert.

FF9 is the worst mobile port so far, actually.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Aww really? What's wrong with it? I've done 4-6 + Dimensions and they were all good.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's a new Mobile Humble Bundle out. There's a few good ones in here:

Freeze 2 - Brothers
Adventures of Poco Eco
Evoland (pay $1 or more)
Rebuild 3 (beat the average)
Goat Simulator - GoatZ (beat the average)
Broken Sword 5 - Episode 1 (beat the average)
Broken Sword 5 - Episode 2 (pay $7 or more)
This War of Mine (pay $7 or more)

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 3, 2016

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Paladinus posted:

FF9 is the worst mobile port so far, actually.

That's funny, because I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Maybe it's because I never played it on a console?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I got in on the Rebuild 3 Kickstarter and did a good bit of beta testing and bug reporting on it, so obviously I'm going to recommend that.

And if you're looking to blow some survey money, the Android port of Cook, Serve, Delicious is $4 and a really solid port.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I looked back over the past ten pages but didn't see anyone mention Pathfinder Adventures, Obsidian's (!!) port of some sort of CCG based on the Pathfinder tabletop RPG. It says it's tablet only but I just managed to install and run it on my Nexus 6P so ymmv.

Also if you've got kids or if you're an adult child who enjoys cartoons (like me), there's a roguelite based on The Amazing World of Gumball that looks like it could be kind of neat?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Go RV! posted:

Anyone know anything about Please Don't Touch Anything? Looks like a whimsical puzzle game but I have heard literally nothing about it

I wouldn't get it. The basic idea is to find all the different ways to manipulate the machine, but aside from a few obvious ways, it's obtuse as gently caress. It'd be fun if it were a free Flash game, but at $5? I'm just glad it was surveybux and not real money.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I own Please Don't Touch Anything on PC and it's really neat with some cool music. I'd check it out.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011
I'm looking for a good multiplayer Battleships app. I've been playing Chess with Friends with people and I want the same functionality but with battleships for when we fancy something less involved. Needs asynchronous play, free (ads okay), cross-platform.

From my search through the play store, it's either not being able to play through a full game before being gated or having to play the whole game in one sitting. Any recs?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
I just googled this but it looks like it has asynch cross-platform play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tequilamobile.warshipslive&hl=en

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's a new Uncharted game out on PS4 which means it's time for another mobile tie-in: Uncharted: Fortune Hunter. I played a few levels and it actually seems okay, though it's a fairly blatant Lara Croft GO knock-off.

There's also a Battleborn tie-in out this week, but 2K got lazier and made it a clicker.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wow, after Psycard I am done with Ludosity games for now. No matter how charming the art and writing is. (And it is really charming) Card City Nights had issuss with how the card types were balanced that I made a huge effort post about before, but since Psycard was based on Minesweeper, how bad could it be?

Turns out, really bad.

The idea itself is pretty solid, there's a field of cards with two different colored backs and a certain number of them are Skulls, which you can see how many cards of each color are skulls. Cards can also be stars, fruit, or have symbols that tell you info about what cards are around it. Stars can be banked up to three times and fuel the special psychic powers and if you flip three fruit over you win the round. If you find three fruit you score 3 points and your opponent flips over a skull you score 4 points. You also score 2 points for every star you flipped, except under one of the special rules where star cards are worth more points. As each round starts one card is marked as a safe card and you get one star pre-banked. Finally there's a score threshold and whoever reaches that first wins the match.

Cards that aren't a skull, fruit or star are marked to show what they are adjacent to. The top of the card will have a + if it's next to exactly one fruit, ++ if it's adjacent to more than 1. The middle of the card will have a ★ if it's adjacent to any stars, and the bottom of the card will have a 💀 if it's next to any skulls. All 8 cards surrounding a card are considered adjacent.

Now this ruleset is pretty easy to understand, especially once you start playing, unfortunately there's a big monkey wrench that screws everything up and makes the game an exercise in frustration. First off, you have no idea how many stars and fruits a given gameboard has. This is a little rough, but you don't know what cards your opponent is getting when they flip cards, nor do you know how many stars they have. Since you're both drawing from the same board of cards, if they're picking cards near the ones you are you have no idea if they found the fruit or star you're fishing for, nor do you know if they are close to a victory. And even at the start of the game the computer AI is really good at finding three fruit in five moves-- basically you'd have to be actually psychic to be able to pick that many correct fruit cards in less moves. Combined with being able to unknowingly swipe what you're already fishing for with no information in return, you're almost better off picking randomly.

The psychic powers you get should help, but with the cost of powers, not knowing how many stars are available, or if your opponent plucked them already, or if you even have time to hunt for more stars because you have no idea how close your opponent is fo victory, I'm not sure how exaclty you're supposed to formulate any sort of strategy. Also because the Ai has an array of powers, usually that involve locking the player out of using their own powers, you may not even have all your tools that they do give you. Oh, and some of them hamper you further by doing things like removing your ability to see the different colors. It is possible for the AI to draw skulls, but it is a really rare occurance.

There's also the issue that if you draw a skull, your opponent gets 4 points, regardless of what you've uncovered. Which is more than if you manage to find three fruit quickly. When the points threshold is 30, that can be some long games, espeially if it's a larger tournament. Honestly the only thing that really makes this bad is all the hidden information from the player. There is an alternate rule where you can see if your opponent flips a star, and them stars are worth more points, but even then you still have no idea how close your opponent is to winning.

Finally, I lost many games due to the first safe card being next to both a skull and fruit and immediate drawing it on my next turn. If I had no stars to use a psychic power I was basically up poo poo creek. Draw an adjacent card which had usually around a 1 in 5 chance of being a skull (more if there were multiple skulls, but you can't tell how many skulls are surrounding it) and because usually those cards contained both color backs, unless one color had zero stars then it was probably better just randomly picking a card in the board that had the least chance of also containing a skull. I was shocked at how badly my random picks went. Or I am just reeeeally lucky at drawing skulls from a mostly unnown board state.

tl;dr the player is not given enough information in the game to be able to make meaningful choices in the amount of time before the computer AI wins.

Lastly as a pet peeve of mine, the hardware back button does nothing if you're in a game. No menu to save or exit or look at the other game modes or to check out if there's a more detailed help screen other than the very basic one when you tap the ? button.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I'm looking for a casual builder-game. I want something I can check on a few times a day, without a competitive environment. I played Clash of Clans for a long time, and I really only enjoyed the base building, and not the combat part. I don't mind it taking hours or even days to finish stuff, just want something I can casually check on every once in a while. Good production value is a big plus. Anyone know of anything like this?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm in the market for a game that fits these criteria:
  • RPG, ideally something turn-based.
  • Can be played in short bursts easily. I'm glad that I can get Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games on my phone but those are the kinds of games I want to really sit down and play for a while.
  • I'd prefer something where I don't have to feel like I need to reroll for a good start--that's a big turn-off for me.
  • It's okay if it's not free. Free is good, but I'll pay a few bucks for a good mobile game.
Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010

Sjonkel posted:

I'm looking for a casual builder-game. I want something I can check on a few times a day, without a competitive environment. I played Clash of Clans for a long time, and I really only enjoyed the base building, and not the combat part. I don't mind it taking hours or even days to finish stuff, just want something I can casually check on every once in a while. Good production value is a big plus. Anyone know of anything like this?

Avenger Acedemy is a bit like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tinyco.avengers&hl=en_GB

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Harrow posted:

• Can be played in short bursts easily. I'm glad that I can get Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games on my phone but those are the kinds of games I want to really sit down and play for a while.
  • I'd prefer something where I don't have to feel like I need to reroll for a good start--that's a big turn-off for me.
  • It's okay if it's not free. Free is good, but I'll pay a few bucks for a good mobile game.

Hoplite probably isn't quite what you have in mind, but I've found that it scratches that itch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Haystack posted:

Hoplite probably isn't quite what you have in mind, but I've found that it scratches that itch.

I do like Hoplite. I'll have to redownload it and play some more--it's a good one.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Sjonkel posted:

Downtown Showdown is sort of like this - think 2/3s Sim City, 1/3 Clash of Clans.

It's fairly well supported thus far, frequent events and not paywalled. I've been playing a couple months. It has two pvp modes, synchronous and asynchronous, which are mainly there to get the currency to expand your land plot - but the bulk of the game is just building. Production values are decent too.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Anyone here still paying Clash Royale? I downloaded it when it first dropped but didn't really play it. Just picked it up again and I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. Are there any goon clans?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Harrow posted:

I would recommend Desktop Dungeons and Hoplite.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Coldbird posted:

Downtown Showdown is sort of like this - think 2/3s Sim City, 1/3 Clash of Clans.

It's fairly well supported thus far, frequent events and not paywalled. I've been playing a couple months. It has two pvp modes, synchronous and asynchronous, which are mainly there to get the currency to expand your land plot - but the bulk of the game is just building. Production values are decent too.

I fogot about this are goons still playing these.

ops still not compatible with the note edge.. note 4 yes, edge no :(

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

I would recommend Desktop Dungeons and Hoplite.

Pixel Dungeon or one of it's many open source clones (shattered pixel dungeon is recommended in this thread, but I haven't played it)
Tiny Rouge

SPM
Jan 7, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Anyone here still paying Clash Royale? I downloaded it when it first dropped but didn't really play it. Just picked it up again and I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. Are there any goon clans?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766559

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Pixel Dungeon or one of it's many open source clones (shattered pixel dungeon is recommended in this thread, but I haven't played it)
Tiny Rouge

I'm enjoying dying on level 3 every time in Pixel Dungeon.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Ferret King posted:

I'm enjoying dying on level 3 every time in Pixel Dungeon.

Goo? He's a good bench mark for the game difficulty. You used to be able to kite him, but I think they patched that out.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Harrow posted:

Pixel Dungeon was already mentioned, but there's also Soft Pixel Dungeon, which among other things includes saving and loading.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

tater_salad posted:

ops still not compatible with the note edge.. note 4 yes, edge no :(
sorry goon

When I bought my Note 4, the guy in the store tried to sell me on the Edge and I told him it looked like compatibility issues waiting to happen :(

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Goo? He's a good bench mark for the game difficulty. You used to be able to kite him, but I think they patched that out.

No, just regular damage and health attrition.

In consistently terrible at these sorts of games. Those crab guys usually whoop my rear end.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Ferret King posted:

No, just regular damage and health attrition.

In consistently terrible at these sorts of games. Those crab guys usually whoop my rear end.

The best advice I can give for a rouge like is to learn to run away and how to kite enemies so you fight them one at time in doorways or hallways. And don't feel like you need to save your potions and items. Use them liberally.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is nit-picky and :smug: as hell, but I do really love the rogue typos (rouge), because I imagine some thin guy wearing WAY too much blush sneaking around a dungeon.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Harrow posted:

I have a soft spot for the Gurk games (1, 2, 3). The first one is a bit basic and short but it's free and gives you a good taste of what the series is like. 2 and 3 aren't exactly expensive either, and they're both very good.

I think you have to roll your character stats at the start of each game, though, but I don't think it has that much of an effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Harrow posted:

I haven't played the sequel yet, but Knights of Pen & Paper would seem to match your criteria, and I had a lot of fun with it back in the day.