Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

extra stout posted:

Anyone mind posting their favorite controls for doom 1/2, or why my mouse won't work? I remember as a kid my mouse never worked so I just used arrow keys, but I am now spoiled, fat, and gay

You have to toggle mouselook on in the options menu, it's off by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

extra stout posted:

Anyone mind posting their favorite controls for doom 1/2, or why my mouse won't work? I remember as a kid my mouse never worked so I just used arrow keys, but I am now spoiled, fat, and gay

Get GZDoom

Bind movement to WSAD (with AD as strafe, not turn duh) and either E or Space as "open door" and left click as shoot

That's all there is to it so I'm not sure why you're even asking. :v:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Huh that's weird, I was sure that opening Doom up will let you adjust some options in a DOS-style menu before launching the game itself, but it doesn't seem to be happening for me anymore.

Even so, opening plain old Doom should still let you use a mouse, it's just that the mouse also makes you move forwards and backwards as well.

Zaphod42 posted:

Get GZDoom

Bind movement to WSAD (with AD as strafe, not turn duh) and either E or Space as "open door" and left click as shoot

That's all there is to it so I'm not sure why you're even asking. :v:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Huh that's weird, I was sure that opening Doom up will let you adjust some options in a DOS-style menu before launching the game itself, but it doesn't seem to be happening for me anymore.
Doom has a separate setup.exe with that stuff.

Deep-cut trivia: the Doom setup program was actually a derivative of the setup program used in Raptor: Call of the Shadows, which also happens to be the only other game to ever use the DMX sound library!!

Linguica fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 2, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Linguica posted:

Deep-cut trivia: the Doom setup program was actually a derivative of the setup program used in Raptor: Call of the Shadows, which also happens to be the only other game to ever use the DMX sound library!!

bullshit, there's no barking or growling in either game

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

bullshit, there's no barking or growling in either game

Listen: it's not what you heard, it's what you're hearing.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

:golfclap:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

:vince:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You have to toggle mouselook on in the options menu, it's off by default.

To be fair the oldschool Dooms didn't so much have mouse look as move MOVE. The Y axis would make you walk forwards and backwards. Really odd to get used to expecially if you're used to what is now standard mouselook.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

i'm getting the impression that you're supposed to be the same doomguy from doom 1 and 2 just further in the future, like he got frozen or some poo poo.
I like the idea. There's that bit in one of the previews, where they say something about you being "the only one who has walked among them and survived" or words to that effect.

Am I alone in missing the Doomguy head in the HUD? I know, I know, but playing a lot of original Doom has me missing that particular artifact in modern shooters. It could facilitate more blatant damage feedback too.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

PrincessWuffles posted:

I like the idea. There's that bit in one of the previews, where they say something about you being "the only one who has walked among them and survived" or words to that effect.

Am I alone in missing the Doomguy head in the HUD? I know, I know, but playing a lot of original Doom has me missing that particular artifact in modern shooters. It could facilitate more blatant damage feedback too.

At least a Metroid Prime-style face reflection would be nice. It was cool to occasionally be in a fight, and you get a momentary glimpse of Samus' eyes tracking around.

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

Plan Z posted:

At least a Metroid Prime-style face reflection would be nice. It was cool to occasionally be in a fight, and you get a momentary glimpse of Samus' eyes tracking around.

Yeah, this would be cool. I mean, like a lot of the extra visual stuff, it could definitely do with being a toggle, but I'm interested in doing more with the visor concept. That very first single player video from E3(?) had me thinking there would be more, but so far it looks like we've got the FINISH HIM glow and the weird damage numbers. I don't know, I just like having a little face down in the HUD, I guess. Am I wrong, or does Quake Guy have a sweet mustache?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

PrincessWuffles posted:

Am I wrong, or does Quake Guy have a sweet mustache?

No, it's just that he's much less cleanly shaven:-

In the mean time, just a heads up you guys should avoid IGN completely sicne they're posting video spoilers for the campaign of DOOM under false clickbaity names like 'EXCLUSIVE NEW UNSEEN FOOTAGE OF DOOM' and poo poo like that.

In the mean time, here's a stupid and probably paid for REACT video of Teens playing DOOM for the first time, and includes their reaction to a trailer for the new doom:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC7Onhm3tto

it's crazy how the game language and design of doom keeps up until today.

PrincessWuffles
Oct 19, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

No, it's just that he's much less cleanly shaven:-

Huh. All this time I've seen an armored up Mike Haggar. poo poo, now I just want a Quake mod with suplexes and piledrivers.

Oh, and, um, Doom for the Doom thread!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

If I remember correctly, this is the same interview where he alluded to triangles being used to build 3D geometry because of the pyramids. Somebody asks him if he's a fan of Egypt and he humorlessly replies, "no, the Nubian pyramids."

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 3, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If I remember correctly, this is the same interview where he alluded to triangles being used to build 3D geometry because of the pyramids. Somebody asks him if he's a fan of Egypt and he humorlessly replies, "no, the Nubian pyramids."

Dry humor isn't a lack of humor.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A.o.D. posted:

Dry humor isn't a lack of humor.

There was nothing humorous about John that night. He was... on another level. He wrote some code that made a guy in the audience disappear forever, the guy is scary with code.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

There was nothing humorous about John that night. He was... on another level. He wrote some code that made a guy in the audience disappear forever, the guy is scary with code.

The Creator stood on a platform. Grey marble, ten perfect square meters, with one meter of depth. An endless void surrounded the suspended dais, the perfect blank canvas. The Creator, clad in a faded t-shirt and worn jeans, opened his eyes, looked through his glasses, and surveyed the universe.

"Mmm."

The dull grey, exactly #808080 gives way to a pitch black as laws governing light are created. Stars fill the new sky. They form, age, and die, forming quasars, nebulae, and black holes. Gravity's nuances are completed. Asteroids are formed from dust, and planets come together to orbit. Some of these new worlds contain a peculiar mixture of chemicals, coming together to form acids. Natural selection is drafted, and those acids, over the course of millenia, become simple organisms, growing in complexity until they resemble autonomy.

The pseudo-autonomous creatures lean toward curiosity. Eventually, they start to reverse-engineer each and every one of the billions of laws the Creator enacted. They start to manipulate and exploit the world for their benefit. The laws governing electromagnetic emissions, vibrations, and electricity and bent in such a way as to allow the creatures a simplified facsimile of the Creator's own canvas.

He takes an interest in his own laws eventually giving way to beings that start to reverse-engineer themselves. He watches over them, and spies the enactment of one such creation. An environment projected using light and vibrations that can be controlled through the use of switches. Watching from the perspective of a creature, the Creator experiences this... and is ultimately disappointed. He's not sure why, but for some reason he feels as if the creatures can actually do better. For the first time in millenia, he speaks.

"I'm calling this game Retard 4."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

lol that's a pretty awesome joke

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Segmentation Fault posted:

The Creator stood on a platform. Grey marble, ten perfect square meters, with one meter of depth. An endless void surrounded the suspended dais, the perfect blank canvas. The Creator, clad in a faded t-shirt and worn jeans, opened his eyes, looked through his glasses, and surveyed the universe.

"Mmm."

The dull grey, exactly #808080 gives way to a pitch black as laws governing light are created. Stars fill the new sky. They form, age, and die, forming quasars, nebulae, and black holes. Gravity's nuances are completed. Asteroids are formed from dust, and planets come together to orbit. Some of these new worlds contain a peculiar mixture of chemicals, coming together to form acids. Natural selection is drafted, and those acids, over the course of millenia, become simple organisms, growing in complexity until they resemble autonomy.

The pseudo-autonomous creatures lean toward curiosity. Eventually, they start to reverse-engineer each and every one of the billions of laws the Creator enacted. They start to manipulate and exploit the world for their benefit. The laws governing electromagnetic emissions, vibrations, and electricity and bent in such a way as to allow the creatures a simplified facsimile of the Creator's own canvas.

He takes an interest in his own laws eventually giving way to beings that start to reverse-engineer themselves. He watches over them, and spies the enactment of one such creation. An environment projected using light and vibrations that can be controlled through the use of switches. Watching from the perspective of a creature, the Creator experiences this... and is ultimately disappointed. He's not sure why, but for some reason he feels as if the creatures can actually do better. For the first time in millenia, he speaks.

"I'm calling this game Retard 4."

jesus christ this thread actually got good

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
John's a nasty guy

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Keiya posted:

Didn't humanity go all but extinct after 2? And he stayed in Hell after 64?

Isn't Doom 64 guy a different character? He definitely stayed in Hell but I don't know if it's the same Marine.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Just played Brutal Doom v20b and I have to say I don't think I've ever in the history of my own gaming experience had so much fun just shooting bad dudes. Firing loud, percussive guns into 30 gallon containers filled with 50 gallons of blood and guts that persist after the explosion is loving awesome.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GreatGreen posted:

Just played Brutal Doom v20b and I have to say I don't think I've ever in the history of my own gaming experience had so much fun just shooting bad dudes. Firing loud, percussive guns into 30 gallon containers filled with 50 gallons of blood and guts that persist after the explosion is loving awesome.

Yeah Brutal Doom and Project Brutality are both super great times, and a big part of why lots of people got back into doom 1/2 recently.

Just... don't go into the classic FPS thread and say that "brutal doom is doomier than doom!" because oh my god, that argument never ends.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/727559428287787008

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

You missed the best part

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You missed the best part

hahah i want this to be true.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

GyverMac posted:

Judging from the singleplayer stream and the leaked trailer, I guess the UAC has been changed from a regular cynical weapons research company to a full blown crazy pseudo scientology cult with billionaire backing. I kinda liked the backstory in Doom 3, where the UAC was unwittingly opening a portal to hell, however now they seem to be actively trying to do just that, along with arranging pilgrimages into hell, and asking for peoples souls over a workplace PA system? That and their CEO seems to be a laser sword wielding anime bad guy. The story seems to be really weird, and I look forward to see what exactly they are going for with all this.

You care about the story in DooM? Why?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
There is no story, it's been said multiple times it's never been a focus of Doom.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

There is no story, it's been said multiple times it's never been a focus of Doom.

In the same vein, are they trying to add character to the DooM Guy? Why?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Vikar Jerome posted:

hahah i want this to be true.

Fallout 3 is likely the first Fallout at least a generation played.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dyz posted:

We know a lot about the Doomguy already. He loved his pet rabbit, didn't blindly follow authority, and was very, very concerned about the environment, but was also easily distracted by heavy ordinance.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Everyone knows Doomguy is Flynn Taggart, and if you want to understand his character, you read the books :colbert:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Everyone knows Doomguy is Flynn Taggart, and if you want to understand his character, you read the books :colbert:

One of the Doom Books posted:

"Twenty-three ska-DOO!"

Demon-killer extraordinaire Flynn Taggart drop-kicked the flaming skull like a football; it rocketed off into an echelon of imps and exploded. KER-BLAM! The thunderclap was deafening.

Flynn caught a smoldering limb as it sailed overhead--it was the browned forearm of a hellspawn. He held it up to his lips and pantomimed playing a flute with it.

"I'm Yankee Doodle DANDY!"

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Dyz posted:

If you know where to look, you can find out the characterization of the new Doom's protagonist.

The Doomslayer is literally Doomguy

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

One of the Doom Books posted:

Albert imagined Arlene nude, with a babe in her arms. This was what the prophecies foretold: Epic battle with hellspawn, and a desperate race to repopulate the earth thereafter. He studied her hips sensually. They were not yet accustomed to the duty of child-bearing, yet they were broad, as a woman's should be. He smiled faintly.

"Who would'a thought the mormons'd be right?" Arlene snarled and shook her head in disbelief. She tongued something tucked behind her lips. A secret? Albert wondered. But then a thick rivulet of brown drool oozed free of her lips and dripped to the ground; she pried loose the remaining chaw and her tongue forced it out, dejected, onto the floor of his bedroom.

Would he suffer the same fate at the hands of this U.S. Marine?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Doom 1 and 2 are still scary to me. Like I still get shivers up my spine when I play them. I don't know why - I spent hours on the games as a kid, downloading every .wad I could find* and playing the poo poo out of them. I know they weren't exactly horror games, but I tended to play them slow, as if they were stealth action games, and this was years before a real stealth game came out.

*My favorite was cheese.wad, a level with such touches as a McDonalds and other things I can't remember aside from the Meat Puppets' "Backwater" playing over and over in midi form.

Doom 4 looks great, I know it's the nostalgia talking but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Don't kiss a girl who dips