Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BCR posted:

It's in the United States, Vietnams, Phillipines, Japanese, Indonesian, etc's self interest that China doesn't claim all the islands and build missile bases

Yeah, but it's still going to happen. They simply can't stop them. And long-term Australia has to be careful about which side of the argument it wants to be on. It doesn't matter how we characterize their actions, they're still going to act. Unless you really want an Asian war, cos they really don't give a poo poo what we think.

quote:

Well long term if you want us to become more integrated in Asia, that would mean supporting in words and deeds our Asian neighbours against China.

It makes sense for a middle weight country to support the interests of other middle weight countrys in our own neighbourhood.

No, long term, you want to still be talking to China. It might seem prudent in the short to medium term to oppose their interests, but its not the end game. That's the brutal truth. Look, the US has pretty much done a similar thing worldwide in the last century but it doesn't have China's patience or its resolve. They won't stick around, and I'm betting that a few of our neighbours will at some point accommodate the Chinese just to be on the "right" side themselves. Best you can hope for is internal collapse like Russia, but that's Armageddon for everyone too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
It's OK, this is as good as it gets for BS. His numbers will ebb once ScoMo does a job tonight.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
ScoMoJo(e)

Australian Politics is weird, I was drat sure Turnbull wasn't going to be Abbotts replacement yet here we are.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's real. The reason it's not indexed is that politicians prefer to have the option of giving tax cuts every few years or of raising more money without it being obvious.

Hockey's original plan for paying off the deficit relied heavily on it.
There's a problem with that when you have very low wage growth and a possible period of deflation.

quote:

Scientific surveys of Iraqi deaths resulting from the first four years of the Iraq War found that between 151,000 to over one million Iraqis died as a result of conflict during this time. A later study, published in 2011, found that approximately 500,000 Iraqis had died as a result of the conflict since the invasion.
Please tell me again why we should align ourselves with the US?

If D. Trump gets in we should seriously consider ripping up ANZUS.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Negligent posted:

It's OK, this is as good as it gets for BS. His numbers will ebb once ScoMo does a job tonight.

It's lovely to see that we're rapidly moving through the denial stage. The reality is that Turnbull has the Rudd problem. High expectations combined with the "oh, he's not what we thought"

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
As well as much of Turnbull's personal popularity vis-a-vis Abbott being sourced from younger voters.

The same class of voters he is alienating every time he professes his undying love for negative gearing.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I don't think polling this far out is anything to worry about, and historically the predictive value of polls has been directly proportional to how close to election day they were done

Hardly denial

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Anidav posted:

I wonder if all those PUP voters will evaporate back to the ALP. PUP vote seems like people hated the ALP due to leadership scandals but hated Abbott too. ALP has fixed itself up and now the Coalition is stuck with Tone Era policy skeletons.

I think Xenophon would probably get the bulk of Palmer's voters, with the ALP and Greens picking up the rest.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Negligent posted:

Essential asked "for future purchases investors can only claim tax deductions for investments in newly built homes"

36 approve 38 disapprove.

24 said it would cause prices to fall, 31 to rise at a slower rate, 13 no change.

A majority thinking it will negatively affect house prices is not good for BS (he will never be prime minister)

A majority thinks it'll help housing affordability? Sounds good.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Negligent posted:

Essential asked "for future purchases investors can only claim tax deductions for investments in newly built homes"

36 approve 38 disapprove.

24 said it would cause prices to fall, 31 to rise at a slower rate, 13 no change.

A majority thinking it will negatively affect house prices is not good for BS (he will never be prime minister)

26 neither know, approve or disapprove? That seems like it could only be a good thing for the ALP.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Pup got 5.5% of the vote, most of that was Labor protest voters putting 1 palmer, but they came back on preferences to put Labor bums on seats, esp in the Worst State

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL7M5RIXjY8

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

One item, a packet of cigarettes, they were more than $3.25bn out and put it down to a rounding error. But for the Labor party, it is not a rounding error, it is a complete and utter cock-up on your capacity to have oversight over the affairs of the nation. What an absolute load of rubbish. Their economic policy is a load of rubbish.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Labor and Libs voting together

bet EvilElmo's got a great justification for this one

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Recoome posted:

Labor and Libs voting together

bet EvilElmo's got a great justification for this one

greens didn't, ergo it's good

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Caaaaaaaarrrp

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Negligent posted:

Caaaaaaaarrrp

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Negligent posted:

Caaaaaaaarrrp

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Negligent posted:

Caaaaaaaarrrp

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:gary:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I have no mouth and I must carrrrrrp :yarg:

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
As soon as there are more people locked out of the housing market due to greedy fucks negatively gearing en masse, than negative gearers, it will become an election issue. It will happen eventually.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog on the Moon:

Well gently caress. That was depressing. Have some kittens:

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Pickled Tink posted:

First Carp on the Moon

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First Carrrpp on the moon

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

:siren: Boat spotted: siren:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

You had one job Dutton

One

Job

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Can't stop the boats can they stop the carp

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Video footage of Masoumali at Nauru hospital shows him clearly conscious as he paces up and down while screaming – with severe burns apparent to his arms, legs, chest and back – while distressed friends plead for him to be given assistance.

A second clip shows doctors and nurses struggling to administer painkillers, as Masoumali, still standing, continues to scream. People watching nearby are vomiting.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Negligent posted:

:siren: Boat spotted: siren:

Don't worry we have boat herpes now- CARRRRPP

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

katlington posted:

Video footage of Barnaby at CARRRPP hospital shows him clearly conscious as he paces up and down while screaming – with severe CARRPP apparent to his arms, legs, chest and back – while distressed friends plead for him to be given herpes.

A second clip shows doctors and nurses struggling to administer herpes, as Barnaby, still standing, continues to scream. People watching nearby are vomiting.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJMdCbT0mE4

First Online Ad of the election

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

And it's not even cropped properly.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

What is that music???

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Kevin Mcloud creative commons track. No expense spared.

edit. seeing as you asked, Kevin McCloud writes a tonne of music that is under creative commons. This means anyone can use it for any reason without having to pay any royalties to the author.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

It was not a very good ad

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Can't even edit the audio properly, it has an abrupt cut whenever Sharten speaks.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Actually, it's called The Complex, and I know this because it is on his website under the "most popular downloads" section, because Labor is original and modern.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Boats haven't stopped, bring back Toned Abs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I wonder when political parties will actually spend decent money on online advertising outside of banner ads on News.com.au?

...and Astroturfing

• Locked thread