Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Important note: If you wear the Catarina Helm and the Herald Armor chestpiece at the same time you look like a goofy superhero, and it's great.

I discovered this when I was waiting to co-op for Champion Gundyr. I get summoned and... there are already two summons there. Looking at me. Wearing onion helms. Nobody was moving.
What could I do but make sure I matched their uniform?
As soon as I put it on and re-adjusted my armor to meet 70% weight the host went through the boss door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Well boys, I put about 140 hours into this game and what's really killed my interest for now is the fact that bluecopping is so utterly broken. I've already tried two different invader gimmicks, 3 sunbro gimmicks, and about 3 other assorted characters. I spent 4 hours prepping a character for bluecopping and sat in a variety of places with +0 and +2 weapons, around level 17 or so. For hours. Wake me up when they patch something good. Shame the game's engine runs so well.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

net cafe scandal posted:

It's hard but Jailer Gloves? Fire Keeper Gloves? Karla's Gloves? Pale Shade Gloves?

I'm wearing Mirrah Trousers.

What do you think about Alva Gauntlets with those and the coat?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

You know I was hesitant about that Carthus Bloodring but it's really incredibly good.

Yeah, too good, really. Fighting jerk asses in Armor of Thorns that basically just hammer on role for 30 minutes until you slowly die are probably more damned tedious than the 10,000th Darksword/estoc invader. It's even worse when it's the host, because they will invariably be summoning phantoms. If it weren't a matter of principle I would just black crystal out, but oh no! No 'get out of invasions free' cards with me. If you're going to waste my time, I am going to waste the HELL out of your time.

But more seriously, it's stupid. Since there are instant i-frames on accessing boss fogs any player that is even remotely cognizant of the game mechanics can just slap that ring on and rush the fog gate with impunity. Someone posted it increases iframes from 14 / 9 to 19 / 4 (i-frame / recovery), but that doesn't seem right. Default iframes seem way higher, and if someone is using the blood ring good night. Might as well not even bother.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I find a good whip usually annoys the thorns people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Lord of Hats posted:

And just two or three tries later, and Sulyvahn went down.

Did... Did I finally Git Gud?

Be warned, the moment you think this you'll get KOed by a trash mob.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So about why these 5 lords, I'm pretty sure there's two reasons. First I'm pretty sure they can each be matched to an important character from the first game's opening, the two I'm almost certain of are Seathe/Yhorm, both are inhuman and both are said to be mad by the time you fight them, and Ludleth/Manus, for obvious reasons. Secondly they all seem to have done weird versions of linking the first flame; the Abyss Watchers went as one, Yhorm is not a human/god he's a giant, Aldritch was "volunteered", Ludleth willed himself a lord and possibly never actually linked the fire, and Lothric/Lorian bore the weight as one. Ludleth might have specifically picked these guys too, as other than him they're all extremely powerful souls and thus probably really good for keeping the fire going, I mean Aldritch is probably a mass of humanity and souls from his cannibalism, Yhorm is a Giant, the Abyss Watchers have a shared soul and Lothric/Lorian again have a shared soul.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

So apparently dead angling is back in DS3, it doesn't ignore shields but it makes attacks unparriable. This should make PVP very interesting - a lot of parry spammers won't be able to figure out why their foolproof strategy is making them look the fool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI59kIqMeXY

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Jerusalem posted:

Be warned, the moment you think this you'll get KOed by a trash mob.

No, I'll just run into the Greatarrow Crossfire Zone. At least it doesn't seem that hard to run through...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Productive night! Defeated Nameless King and Soul of Cinder in one night.

Took some of the advice the thread offered and beat NK on my first attempt of the night (after being stuck all of yesterday). poo poo got hairy in the final stretch. He had a few hits left to him, I had one and no more estus. I recognized that the only realistic path to victory I had was to stagger and visceral him so I started spazzing out with Gotthard's L1 in a last ditch gambit and fate provided. Finishing him off by ripping out his heart was immensely satisfying.

Soul of Cinder was practically a breather after NK. His second phase is quite a bit easier than the first, IMO. Baiting out his closing attacks leaves him wide open.

On to playthrough number 2. Not sure what I want to do yet.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Do bleed, frostbite poison etc affect bosses? What about other enemies?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just realized I never figured out how to get to the bottom/mid part of the tower in Firelink. How do you do that?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

I'm wearing Mirrah Trousers.

What do you think about Alva Gauntlets with those and the coat?

A little bulky Imo. How about assassin gloves? or Mornes gauntlets.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Jewel Repetition posted:

Do bleed, frostbite poison etc affect bosses? What about other enemies?

Bleed actually does a number on bosses that aren't specifically immune to it. The poison DoT is sort of underwhelming this time around but it will work on a few bosses, like the Old Demon King. I am lead to believe that Frostbite is effective against the Dragonslayer Armor, but to be perfectly honest, I don't know how it affects its patterns and movements. Basically, bleed is the only status effect worth bothering with for PvE. Poison and Frostbite could be useful, potentially, for PvP, but there are all of 3 weapons in the game that inflict frostbite and none of them are especially, like, good.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

NESguerilla posted:

I just realized I never figured out how to get to the bottom/mid part of the tower in Firelink. How do you do that?

Like from where Patches traps you?

There's some coffins sticking out of the wall that form sort of a staircase. Or you do Sirris' questline until she gives you the the silvercat ring.

Also there's a kind of a 'secret' area- on the rooftop where the crow's nest is, there's a ledge running around it. Above the entrance, there's an opening so that you'll be in the rafters above the bonfire, along with a second crow nest. BUT there's also an illusory wall along the back, which leads to something nice that I forgot what it was

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

NESguerilla posted:

You run on the tree and jump on the ruf.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Dazzling Addar posted:

Bleed actually does a number on bosses that aren't specifically immune to it. The poison DoT is sort of underwhelming this time around but it will work on a few bosses, like the Old Demon King. I am lead to believe that Frostbite is effective against the Dragonslayer Armor, but to be perfectly honest, I don't know how it affects its patterns and movements. Basically, bleed is the only status effect worth bothering with for PvE. Poison and Frostbite could be useful, potentially, for PvP, but there are all of 3 weapons in the game that inflict frostbite and none of them are especially, like, good.

There was that video of someone cheesing Pontiff using poison/toxic cloud and then laying down, that was kind of funny even if it took him like 20 minutes.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

net cafe scandal posted:

A little bulky Imo. How about assassin gloves? or Mornes gauntlets.

Morne's almost looks good, but I swear it doesn't match the boots.

I would be okay with Assassin if not for the belted look.

Fashion Souls is hell.

EDIT: What do you think of the coat plus Drang Shoes + Gloves?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 3, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lately I just wear the Drang set with the Exile mask, they fit near perfectly together.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So I beat all the bosses solo, including the Nameless King. I guess that was Dark Souls 3 then. It definitely felt more like a sequel than Dark Souls 2. You can tell that Miyazaki has a very different vision compared to the team that made 2.

DkS2 felt more like an ambitious fangame while DkS3 was a sequel in every sense of the word.

Still gonna replay the hell out of this game.

Fashion Souls: Wear Nameless King's crown and armor with Shadow set for that mad samurai look

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It is irritating how much content you can lock yourself out of on accident and just through playing. Oh look I Found Rosaria's Fingers! Oh now this entire bad rear end cool faction you would have NO idea exist or any idea that you've screwed yourself out of is cut off to you. Great!

There should be a way to undo some of that stuff :mad:

^^Drang set and Alva's Helm owns.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's fine, the faction barely works.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Does Sirris still gently caress off immediately if you join that covenant?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Frostbite would be nicer if it had a visual indication of it working, like bleeds massive blood splash or poison's purple cloud.

Also more weapons/an infusion for it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Filthy Hans posted:

So apparently dead angling is back in DS3, it doesn't ignore shields but it makes attacks unparriable. This should make PVP very interesting - a lot of parry spammers won't be able to figure out why their foolproof strategy is making them look the fool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI59kIqMeXY

Thrusting weapons are the most vulnerable to parrying though so this doesn't really help them.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Morne's almost looks good, but I swear it doesn't match the boots.

I would be okay with Assassin if not for the belted look.

Fashion Souls is hell.

EDIT: What do you think of the coat plus Drang Shoes + Gloves?

That's probably the best you can get. I think I prefer Mornes gloves instead of Drang gloves with that combo though.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

voltcatfish posted:

Yup. I saw her once to tell me to gently caress off. I didn't ever want to be a bad guy but jus5 being curious screwed me.

Also that crow won't give me the shout gesture. So I'm missing that and feel lame. :(

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

net cafe scandal posted:

That's probably the best you can get. I think I prefer Mornes gloves instead of Drang gloves with that combo though.

I seriously don't get why Mirrah Gloves don't match the trousers, I mean really.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

So I beat all the bosses solo, including the Nameless King. I guess that was Dark Souls 3 then. It definitely felt more like a sequel than Dark Souls 2. You can tell that Miyazaki has a very different vision compared to the team that made 2.

DkS2 felt more like an ambitious fangame while DkS3 was a sequel in every sense of the word.

Still gonna replay the hell out of this game.

Fashion Souls: Wear Nameless King's crown and armor with Shadow set for that mad samurai look

It's by far the safest game in the series but I'm ok with that. All of the previous games were pretty ambitious and I like that they decided to polish up a lot of stuff they have been trying for the last 7 years, and made something that looks and plays nice. I don't even mind the fan service. it was well done.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Speaking of fashion souls, is their any leggings set that has a sash coming off of the waist?

EDIT: Whoever decided you should be able to invade the same gank squad 3 times in a row is a moron.

EDIT: 5 TIMES

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 3, 2016

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

I tried it yesterday and she only told me to gently caress off after i gave a tongue to the covenant. Before that she didnt appear no matter how much i tried. Didnt think to try if redoing stats counts to make her mad though.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
Anyone ever seen the pilgrim dragon things on top of the castle turn rainbow coloured? I wonder if it's a texture thing or does it have LORE IMPLICATIONS?!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Dragonslayer Spear is so drat sick... When you land a direct hit with the weapon art.. By god..

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

That Yhorm part hurt a bit. He just had to put that song in there, didn't he.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Another little lore tidbit: the Giant of the Undead Settlement has the same sort of chains around him as the Pontiff's employees in the dungeon and Aldrich's cathedral.

He's an escapee, fighting the good fight against the team that are arguably the biggest villains of the current story. (Depending how one feels about Londor. :zombie:)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The giant is an rear end in a top hat that keeps forgetting I made peace with him and shoots me with arrows anyways. I think I'll just kill him from now on.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

The giant is an rear end in a top hat that keeps forgetting I made peace with him and shoots me with arrows anyways. I think I'll just kill him from now on.

His arrows can't even damage you if you made peace (or started with the Young White Branch) so sorry, you're just a jerk :colbert:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I think that happens if you eat his branch that he gives you, it's the one in the stack by itself instead of with the others.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
So since buffs like Magic Weapon just add flat +damage, they're strongest with weapons that hit faster, right? Thinking about trying a Raw Brigand Twindaggers/sorcery build to leverage the fast L1 attacks, but would like to know if there's a reason this would be a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

aldrich is so loving disgusting and I hate him so much WHY DOES HE HAVE SO MANY RIBCAGES FILL WITH GOO gently caress YOU ALDRICH

found new thing to deal with him. Fluoroantimonic acid folded over one thousand times. pH of negative 31. gently caress you aldrich, ima turn you into a hole in the floor

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 3, 2016