Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Top lane bruiser Fizz still works too, I guess?

This is actually the top lane pick I most fear seeing on the enemy team right now. I've seen a bunch of these get massively fed and absolutely destroy games. It's just as bad as Tank Ekko in my opinion and it's almost impossible to actually catch and kill a Fizz.

Kashuno posted:

I hate having a teemo on my team because I like tanks.

Yes. Tanks are the most solid things you can play in top lane with the broken itemization right now (Sunfire/IBG/SV), even putting those items on non-tanks is more effective generally than alternative items.

Tales of Woe posted:

what are people even playing top lane right now (assuming ekko is banne'd)(

These are what I had as the best top lane picks on my page for 6.8:
 Ekko >  Maokai > Malphite >  Shen > Nautilus > Sion > Trundle

Ekko is the best all-around everything. Maokai is good against AP or just a good general pick if your team lacks engage. Malphite is good against AD or a good general pick if your team lacks engage. Shen, Nautilus, Sion are all good generalist tanks who all play totally differently. Trundle is a good pick when you are against an enemy tank and need to bust him up.

I've mostly played Ekko, Maokai and Trundle over the last few patches in top lane whenever I do get there (I often secondary that to support in dynamic).

Luna Was Here posted:

loving christ man i really love the poo poo out of people who pick hard carry junglers and hard carry tops that have no capabilities except for split pushing makes for really fun and exciting games

This is my tier list of picks you'll actually see people lock in and solo queue since everyone hates playing tanks even though they are the best :barf:

Gangplank > Yasuo > Jarvan IV > Quinn > Riven > Jayce > Jax

Chances are one of these that didn't get picked in top lane will also inexplicably be your jungler. I hate people who draft 2-3 melee AD before the ADC even locks in a pick because it basically dooms your team to a lovely composition and there's nothing the ADC player can do about it because some dumb wild card poo poo like AP Mordekaiser bot lane doesn't really exist anymore. exethan and I have had some real doozy teams while duo queuing lately and I'm loving sick of melee AD players but that's just what you have to deal with playing this game.

Verviticus posted:

oh, ryze. gently caress that dude

How Rude posted:

Poppy is overnerfed garbage don't pick her top.

I think both Poppy and Ryze are bad solo queue picks right now TBH (agreeing with Keeby, not sure whether Verv is saying "gently caress that dude, or "gently caress, that dude". I was thinking about trying to learn Poppy but her numbers took a loving nose dive on this patch and I was just like ah gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

trundle = good

top fizz is ok but generally just can't do anything in lane, i went off on it a few times but theres so many picks that you essentially can do nothing against that you're 100% relying on out of lane fights to snowball. i think hes going to get better with the next patch while a lot of tanks are just getting worse because of what people will be picking. maokai is going to continue to be good, nautilus is still secretly op but i don't play him because i forget about him.

top lane loving sucks atm and i dont wanna play until the patch bc if i play trundle or maokai one more time i dunno what im gonna do.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Libertine posted:

throw shaco somewhere in there and you'll have gotten a combination of all this poo poo i've had in ranked the last week

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Just played a game with a soraka support who got pulled by blitzcrank under a turret at level 3, howled in chat at me (twitch) and our jungler (graves) for not saving them, went mid, and refused to be anywhere near me or graves the rest of the game.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Just played a game with a soraka support who got pulled by blitzcrank under a turret at level 3, howled in chat at me (twitch) and our jungler (graves) for not saving them, went mid, and refused to be anywhere near me or graves the rest of the game.

this happened in the trynd game I posted a few pages back. her mf died in lane so she just started running around the map appearing in lanes randomly

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Kashuno posted:

I've noticed an upswing in REALLY toxic supports lately. My theory is that it's kids locking support secondary to get faster queues.

Luna Was Here posted:

this happened in the trynd game I posted a few pages back. her mf died in lane so she just started running around the map appearing in lanes randomly

Sounds like someone who heard "if your ADC feeds, roam", but doesn't actually know how to roam.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most of the people raging are like 30 years old or older, guaranteed. kids just call you a fucktard, the guys who get impossibly mad and do weird poo poo to try and prove some point are the kind of weirdos that have had time to develop a chip on their shoulder that they think league of legends is the place to just let it out.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's especially frustrating because we had already pulled a double kill at level 1 so it's not like we were behind or anything, they just wanted to throw a fit.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Sometimes you have to eschew the desire to feed locally in order to meet your larger goals of feeding globally.

Farm to table.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Trundle being good vs Darius is counter-intuitive to me since he doesn't have a dash to disengage or a way to farm from ranged which are the 2 things I associate with being able to lane vs Darius.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Luna Was Here posted:

retards like you, who go "what, a problem with a game? why, I never!"

Be nice to your Diamonds.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

This is actually the top lane pick I most fear seeing on the enemy team right now. I've seen a bunch of these get massively fed and absolutely destroy games. It's just as bad as Tank Ekko in my opinion and it's almost impossible to actually catch and kill a Fizz.

Yep, it's ridiculously good.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

Trundle being good vs Darius is counter-intuitive to me since he doesn't have a dash to disengage or a way to farm from ranged which are the 2 things I associate with being able to lane vs Darius.

trundle has a button he can press to ruin darius' gimmick of being a dude that walks slowly at the enemy team threatening to one day attack them. most melee champs aim to not lose to darius early and trudle is especially good at doing that and getting any sort of advantage vs the darius basically means the lane is over for him because of aforementioned button.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Tales of Woe posted:

His ult lets him outfight Darius, Darius can't really kite him out of frozen domain, and he out-sustains Darius even if he's losing trades. Pillar also lets him disengage. Plus, between bite and frozen domain he can actually win early 1v1s sometimes. It's not a great lane for Darius, and then later on Trundle has way more side lane pressure and can make it very hard for Darius' team in fights if Darius is the only front line.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

I'm in the fan club what more do you ask of me

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Methanar posted:

I understand now why you pick Diana, because she owns

Radiantweasel
Aug 10, 2013
How does one go about building and playing tank Fizz? This seems like a cancerous thing I'd enjoy doing

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Radiantweasel posted:

How does one go about building and playing tank Fizz? This seems like a cancerous thing I'd enjoy doing

corrupting potion --> sunfire vs AD or abyssal vs AP --> frozen fist --> more tank --> win

The thing about Fizz is that you have to survive the early laning phase. Play safe, use your TP to get back to lane if you have to. Once you get a few items you become very hard to kill and yet you also do a shitload of damage! Tank meta.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

That said if you're in a lane where you can take advantage of it (usually against tanky, immobile enemies) Fizz's level 1 with trident is ridiculously strong

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
also remember that what makes Fizz extra cancer toplane is his passive ignoring a big mechanic to the lane in that he can just walk through creeps and never get creepblocked, and ALSO receives a flat amount less damage per hit from auto attacks and minions

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

on the downside fizz's passive will just not work sometimes

stump collector
May 28, 2007

How Rude posted:

Diana owns

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like Diana, because you can be complete crap and get a triple kill like me

The only good ap jungler besides Zac.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
picking diana jungle is extremely situational, but scales pretty hard if everything goes right.so she's not necessarily a good pick to rely on. fizz is similar in this respect

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I picked her because the rest of my damage dudes were AD and I needed a strong, bursty mage jungler.

also not pictured is me starting the first 15 minutes with a 0/3/1 KDA. I got a triple kill as soon as I finished my Abyssal and it was smooth sailing from there with my fed Yasuo

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

How Rude posted:

I picked her because the rest of my damage dudes were AD and I needed a strong, bursty mage jungler

shoulda picked fiddlesticks then, diana is the strong, busty mage jungler

stump collector
May 28, 2007

How Rude posted:

I picked her because the rest of my damage dudes were AD and I needed a strong, bursty mage jungler.

also not pictured is me starting the first 15 minutes with a 0/3/1 KDA. I got a triple kill as soon as I finished my Abyssal and it was smooth sailing from there with my fed Yasuo

i'm not saying its wrong to pick her under any circumstances, but she either needs to go hard and get several kills or farm safely for a long time to be a threat. kind of hard to guarantee that from the jungle when your early game is weaker than other damage junglers

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good way to play nunu right now? I feel like I completely dominate their jungler, but I can't do much else

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Is there a good way to play nunu right now? I feel like I completely dominate their jungler, but I can't do much else

the pro nunu strat is to wait until tomorrow

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Kashuno posted:

hello i've patented "top nunu". i always go grasp of the undying. this is probably a bad pick but it's actually really hilarious against anyone even with good sustain since you get free spells and devour. it's kinda crap against people who will just push the lane to your tower over and over but i just spit snowballs at them to make em spooked so they don't push/farm super hard. i dunno, it transitions well for team comps that benefit from chase, and you give your adc a sick MS/AS buff. sometimes you never get to use your ult properly but who cares, more snowballs.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Libertine posted:

Yes. Tanks are the most solid things you can play in top lane with the broken itemization right now (Sunfire/IBG/SV), even putting those items on non-tanks is more effective generally than alternative items.

These are what I had as the best top lane picks on my page for 6.8:
 Ekko >  Maokai > Malphite >  Shen > Nautilus > Sion > Trundle

Ekko is the best all-around everything. Maokai is good against AP or just a good general pick if your team lacks engage. Malphite is good against AD or a good general pick if your team lacks engage. Shen, Nautilus, Sion are all good generalist tanks who all play totally differently. Trundle is a good pick when you are against an enemy tank and need to bust him up.

I've mostly played Ekko, Maokai and Trundle over the last few patches in top lane whenever I do get there (I often secondary that to support in dynamic).

This is my tier list of picks you'll actually see people lock in and solo queue since everyone hates playing tanks even though they are the best :barf:

Chances are one of these that didn't get picked in top lane will also inexplicably be your jungler. I hate people who draft 2-3 melee AD before the ADC even locks in a pick because it basically dooms your team to a lovely composition and there's nothing the ADC player can do about it because some dumb wild card poo poo like AP Mordekaiser bot lane doesn't really exist anymore. exethan and I have had some real doozy teams while duo queuing lately and I'm loving sick of melee AD players but that's just what you have to deal with playing this game.

Kog can be built to do a bunch of magic damage by going Rageblade, Hurricane, and Wit's End. Especially if someone gets Ardent Censer for you. Urgot can be his weird bruiser-ADC self I guess. There's the tanky pile of ADC items and the people who synergize best with them: Deaths Dance, Phantom Dancer, and I guess Sterak's, Bloodthirster, Maw? Also if your team picks a garbage comp you can always just buy ZZRot because gently caress it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Those defensive AD items are no longer going to work together starting tomorrow.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

Those defensive AD items are no longer going to work together starting tomorrow.

one of the good changes imo, maw is metagame warping enough on its own without a second cheap anti-burst ad item

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is the weird rift herald coming tomorrow too

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yeah, the new champ should also be revealed tomorrow

e. VV that buff will be interesting because people are gonna want to play mages top, and the diving splitpushers are already good against mages generally speaking

Radical fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 3, 2016

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Kashuno posted:

Is the weird rift herald coming tomorrow too

patch notes aren't out yet but i assume everything made it in. they should be up within an hour or 2 along with the new champ reveal.

making top lane potentially even more of just a manifestation of jungler competence is worrying though

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty interested to see how these changes do in the LCK. Idk about other regions but Herald went from ignored to a jungler move speed boost to an actual lane push tool throughout the spring split and was actually decently sought after, so it'll be interesting to see this huge change.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

behold the pattern of tilt
http://matchhistory.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-history/EUW1/40898001

Dropped from silver 3 to silver 5. My actual scores are improving but I can't seem to get that 8/0 hard carry run. I know I've been playing support but Its rare that I've had the least amount of gold. Not sure what to really do since my go to game winner was poppy and she's been mega nerfed.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

pick blitzcrank or soraka (i assume soraka is banned every game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Soraka is less busted at lower elo.

• Locked thread