Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

A while back I asked a shitload of questions about amplifiers, speakers, ohms, watts, etc. Then I posted that I'd bought a portaflex pf-500 head and the guy who was going to sell me a cabinet same day flaked and I was really frustrated. Then I asked a shitload more questions and got lots of good advice, some of which was "just wait and keep an eye on classifieds and stuff and something will come along".

Today I bought a PF115-HE used, with almost no marks on it, for literally half the price that a new one's selling for around here - only thing it's missing is the screws for mounting the head to the top. So thank you everyone who helped me out (and also everyone who constantly posts information here), I'm sure I would have hosed something up without you. As it is, I'm happy as hell and I've got enough budget left over to go hunting for a used fuzz pedal and maybe a chorus or reverb too.

The setup sounds pretty good with all the knobs at 12, and I'm finding it super easy to get different sounds out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
:black101:

That's a nice setup, especially for such a good price.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

Haha, playing my new Rickenbacker in church. I await my interview with the Chief Inquisitor any moment.

(Scarf shakes his head as I move from one bass to another, like strangers in the night)

Hey, as long as the hollowbody gets some love from time to time, I'm cool with it :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Might be trading off some old ham radio gear for an old Mann bass and a Yorkville 120B.

The old ham guys refuse to offer cash, so it's the best offer I have on the table. :)

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Sockington posted:

Might be trading off some old ham radio gear for an old Mann bass and a Yorkville 120B.

The old ham guys refuse to offer cash, so it's the best offer I have on the table. :)

Hope the radio equipment isn't very valuable because you're looking a little less than a couple hundred bucks of gear, there. The Yorkville is a decent little amp, but I am reading nothing but complaints about Mann for just being old knock-off basses and back breakers to boot.

e. the bass does look like it's a neck through design, though, which could be a neat feature provided its real and not just some trickery with the body color; even then, I can't attest to that company's ability to make a design like that function properly so you're gonna have to rely on their word or your own experience

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 27, 2016

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Edit: nvm

Sockington fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 8, 2016

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think it's the HD112, if I recall correctly.

It's not yours I take it? I ask because I've been hoping to try some Berg cabs for a while now, but they rarely show up in stores around here.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Juaguocio posted:

It's not yours I take it? I ask because I've been hoping to try some Berg cabs for a while now, but they rarely show up in stores around here.

Well, I bought it about a decade ago. I originally got it from Club Bass, but I don't think they sell them anymore. I still remember Dave being surprised when I walked in the door with a gig bag that he sold me almost 20 years prior. Those things hold up!

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Anyone have any tips on what bass strings to buy?

Most of my life I've used Ken Smith medium or medium light but I've also really liked GHS Boomers and Ernie Ball strings. I'd just like to try something new.

I play most any kind of music but right now I'm getting ready to do a show with a surf-punk band. I prefer bright-ish strings and play with a light to medium-heavy right hand. Sometimes I use a pick and sometimes I don't.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
DR Fat Beams

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I used to have a Conklin GTBD-7 7 string bass about 5-6 years ago, but had to sell it when some bills came up. I've been getting the itch to grab another 7 string the past few months and was wondering if by chance anyone has tried the Ibanez BTB 7 that they have?

I currently play SR506 and I like they way it plays enough, but I've never tried a BTB before. I know the scales longer but I'm not too worried about that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Most of my life I've used Ken Smith medium or medium light but I've also really liked GHS Boomers and Ernie Ball strings. I'd just like to try something new.

I play most any kind of music but right now I'm getting ready to do a show with a surf-punk band. I prefer bright-ish strings and play with a light to medium-heavy right hand. Sometimes I use a pick and sometimes I don't.

Dunlop Super Bright Nickel or Steel

If you don't care for those you can't ever go wrong with D'Addario imo. I've used their strings on tons of different instruments and they're always the best balance of sound/durability/feel. I've rarely ever preferred other companies.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 30, 2016

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Completely forgot about steel strings. I actually tried what I think were DRs when I was playing in a rock band a while back and I loved the sound/attack.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If you've got a Precision type of bass, GHS pressurewounds are a nice tamer of the aggression, and wear extremely well.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I tried GHS Bass Boomers many years ago (the 1990s) because Stu Hamm and a bunch of other famous bassists endorsed them. What I found was that they sounded slightly better than the Darco strings I could by at my local music shop (the cheapest brand available at the time), and they stayed bright precisely as long. I can't begin to explain how disappointed I was that strings that cost twice as much still burned for half as long. It was my first endorsement-fueled heartbreak. loving GHS. I gave them two shots because I was an idiot, and I'll never buy them again. OK strings, terrible value.

For my fretted basses, I use Fender nickelwound strings. They're not expensive (but not the cheapest), and I actually like the feeling of the strings under my fingers--and I might be in the minority on that. They have a pretty cool vintage tone, they don't mess up your frets much, and they last longer than many other brands, though not by much. For fretless, I get nylon tapewound strings. The brand here is less important.

If I need new strings now and I'm just about broke, I get an Earnie Ball Slinky set. They're OK strings, but they do not stay bright all that long.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

If you want bright-ish strings but not something as aggressively bright as, say, Dunlops you could always try groundwounds. Ken Smith Slickrounds in particular are pretty cool.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Sorted out my need for a bass amp this weekend.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Sockington posted:

Sorted out my need for a bass amp this weekend.

One of us
One of us
One of us

Haven't looked back since I bought my Little Mark head, great equipment.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
Just picked up a PRS Kingfisher at a good price - the shop was selling it used, but by looking at it, I would guess whoever used to own it had never even touched it.

My one problem with it is the volume/tone pots. They don't adjust levels even close to smoothly, and just seem like PRS went cheap on them. Any recommendations on what to replace them with? I have plenty of electronics and soldering experience, so that won't be a problem, but have never done this kind of replacement on a guitar/bass before and don't know if there's a brand or resistance that's recommended.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Golden-i posted:

Just picked up a PRS Kingfisher at a good price - the shop was selling it used, but by looking at it, I would guess whoever used to own it had never even touched it.

My one problem with it is the volume/tone pots. They don't adjust levels even close to smoothly, and just seem like PRS went cheap on them. Any recommendations on what to replace them with? I have plenty of electronics and soldering experience, so that won't be a problem, but have never done this kind of replacement on a guitar/bass before and don't know if there's a brand or resistance that's recommended.

Is it passive? If so change the pots to linear taper. Use the same value as whatever is in there (250K or 500K). To verify look at the pots you have, they should have a number value followed by letter code ( A for audio, B for linear) stamped on them.

Edit: or the better option is to just play with all controls up all of the time.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

CaseFace McGee posted:

Haven't looked back since I bought my Little Mark head, great equipment.

I just found that out tonight.

CaseFace McGee posted:

You won't need to do any upgrades to that for quite a while, especially if the 1x15 plays nice and you don't get any weird phase issues. 20% off makes it a drat good purchase.

It played very nice together. :quagmire:

I'm pretty much in love with it. I'm not 100% sure on how to EQ what I want right now, so it remains mostly a mystery for me. I cut some lows to not compete with the kick, and kept everything else pretty flat. Gain about 75%, volume about 15%. :iiam:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That markbass combo looks awesome.

So my ampeg cab had a really nasty buzz/rattle when turned up beyond about half volume, and figured I'd found the reason the previous owner got rid of it that cheap. hosed around with it for half an hour while my wife was out, and figured it sounded like the grill/face/whatever part and might be an easy fix, so I took that off, the rattle continued, I got really paranoid that I wasn't going to be able to fix it, and then found that one of the screws holding the tweeter in was barely finger tight. Tightened it, which solved the problem, then tighetened everything else up as well. Doesn't rattle any more.

I'm assuming the thing gradually shook loose. How do I prevent it from happening again? I mean, I can just keep tightening it, but unscrewing the grill to get to it's a pain in the arse. I'm not leaving the grill off, I'm too clumsy to leave a speaker exposed like that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AlphaDog posted:

That markbass combo looks awesome.

So that ampeg cab had a really nasty buzz/rattle when turned up beyond about half volume, and figured I'd found the reason the previous owner got rid of it that cheap. hosed around with it for half an hour while my wife was out, and figured it sounded like the grill/face/whatever part and might be an easy fix, so I took that off, the rattle continued, I got really paranoid that I wasn't going to be able to fix it, and then found that one of the screws holding the tweeter in was barely finger tight. Tightened it, which solved the problem, then tighetened everything else up as well. Doesn't rattle any more.

I'm assuming the thing gradually shook loose. How do I prevent it from happening again? I mean, I can just keep tightening it, but unscrewing the grill to get to it's a pain in the arse. I'm not leaving the grill off, I'm too clumsy to leave a speaker exposed like that.

Keeping screws from coming loose because of vibrations is what loctite is made for:
http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Medium-Strength-Threadlocker-Bottle/dp/B000132VDA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1462279614&sr=8-9&keywords=loctite

That would only work if it's metal to metal so metal to wood contact (like most amps) I would suggest a drop of gorilla wood glue or something on the tip of the screw right before putting it back in.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
or you could just leave the grill off if you don't plan on moving your cab much.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OK, I'll get a little bit of wood glue in there. Thanks.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

One of my friends heard I wanted to learn bass so now I've got a 5-string Peavey Grind. I'm looking for a tiny amp that I can just plug some headphones into and practice on without spending a ton of money, but I also don't want some cheap thing that blows out after a week. I won't be playing with other people for a long time, and right now I'm mostly just concerned with being able to actually hear myself play rather than getting a good tone. That Roland Cube in the OP looks very nice, but it's out of my current price range - is it at all possible to snag a bare-bones practice amp in the $50 range that isn't total garbage?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

A friend of mine uses a vox amplug for practicing in his bedroom. It's a very tiny headphone-only amp but it was pretty cheap and sounded ok. This thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbRY6O48gbc

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
The Amplug's not bad. I have to roll the tone off or it gets a bit hissy. If mine died, I'd probably replace it with a Zoom B1on - similar price, tons of extra goodies (effects, amp models, looper, etc.)

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I'd recommend Vox Amphones, not as cheap as the amplug but you would need a pair of decent headphones anyway to use it.. The tone is really good with plenty of bass. For some reason though it doesn't like my Fender Mexi Deluxe Active Jazz, maybe because its active. No problems with my Squier VM pbass.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

DrChu posted:

Is it passive? If so change the pots to linear taper. Use the same value as whatever is in there (250K or 500K). To verify look at the pots you have, they should have a number value followed by letter code ( A for audio, B for linear) stamped on them.

Edit: or the better option is to just play with all controls up all of the time.

Thanks for the info - it is passive, so I'll match whatever resistance is in there now and go for linear. I'll see if it's bad enough to bother me in the short term, though, and maybe just playing with the controls up will be fine.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

How do these compare to DR's other strings? I really like Nickel Lo-Riders, but I'm thinking about experimenting a bit.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I really like the ElectroHarmonix headphone amp, aside from it not having an aux in. Gets loud and sounds awesome.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

AlphaDog posted:

A friend of mine uses a vox amplug for practicing in his bedroom. It's a very tiny headphone-only amp but it was pretty cheap and sounded ok.

I've got one of these, been using it today to practice outside now that summer has arrived in Western Europe.
Aux in is great for jamming along to stuff on your phone too.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Picked up that "Mann" bass in trade last night. Most likely an old Fuji Gen with the neckthrough setup, brass nut, and Fender headstock.

The only noticeable flaw is a slight crack behind the brass nut

Going to have my guy look at the bass and see what he says about the frets :ohdear:

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
I'm an extremely new (and fairly terrible) bass player, and I have a show coming up soon. What sorts of things should I be on the lookout for when playing live? It's a pretty small venue, and I think I am using someone else's/the venue's amps and stuff.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Christabel posted:

I'm an extremely new (and fairly terrible) bass player, and I have a show coming up soon. What sorts of things should I be on the lookout for when playing live? It's a pretty small venue, and I think I am using someone else's/the venue's amps and stuff.

I just played my first gig in a small venue too. Mostly, don't worry about it. You'll do fine, it's fun. But other than that, make sure you have a monitor that you can hear the entire band (including yourself!) though, otherwise everything gets much harder. And try not to stare at your bass all the time, there's an audience out there (I failed at this, and it showed). But really, it's mostly like practice, except some people are there too.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If you screw up (hopefully you wont but it does happen) keep playing and bluff it, that's much better than stopping mid song.

If you use a pick keep spares on you.

Where possible keep your rig as simple as possible, and bring spare cables just in case. I know you say you think you may be using the venue's rig but make sure you know for certain before arriving, I've seen many gigs go south before they even began because everyone expected the other bands to supply stuff.

Most importantly, have fun! I haven't played a gig in years (can't find a band to join or whatnot) and its an experience unlike any other. And hey, if it goes wrong then you'll have some stories to tell!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
yeah stuff i've learned after 5+ years and around 100 gigs in small to mid-sized venues:

always bring your own head if possible. get an ultra portable one if you so prefer, but having your own gear will save you a lot of headache.
as mentioned, extra cables. both instrument and cabinet cables. make sure to have 1 xlr-xlr, 1 xlr-plug and 1 plug-plug cabinet cable.
spare strings are a good idea. practise changing strings at home so you can do it between songs if you have to. 2 minutes per string is pretty much how fast you want to be.
use your rig as a monitor and be prepared to play without hearing yourself much at all (if you play loud music that is). small venues often have maybe 1 or 2 monitors and a lovely pa.

don't sweat any mistakes, everone makes them. if you gently caress up, just do a long slide and look at your guitarists hand to see where he's going, hah.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
If you're using the venue's amp, definitely bring a back-up. Unless it's a really nice, and somewhat larger venue, chances are all of their house equipment has been beat to poo poo and barely works.

At least, that's always been my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Thanks for the replies!

Holy poo poo, I don't think I could do a timed string change in a dark room. I have been keeping an eye out for a second bass in case something like that happens. I will definitely bring back up cables and stuff, too. I'm going to email the organiser and nail down who is bringing what, and I know a few bands who have played this venue before so I'll ask them what the set up is like.

I'm using one pedal - Big Muff - for two songs, and if it doesn't work out I don't think it'll make a huge difference. I'm not sure where I can keep a spare pick. Under my tongue maybe?