Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Prosperity Gospel says poor are ungodly and thus deserving of their fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!

TheQat posted:

oh man there's a video of the cruz handshake fakeout: https://twitter.com/GMA/status/727456210677469184

Hahaha Oh God it's as good as I imagined, "oh! too slow joe!"

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

People are sick of cyclists on the road???

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I disagree with your assumption here and the intent you ascribe to it.

I think people classify food stamp users and the generally less fortunate as fundamentally broken mooching losers because that lets them not face the horrible reality of the randomness in this world. "There, but for the grace of God, go I" is a really really scary concept, so people instead cling to the idea of a just world. Psychological tests show that people are really freaked out by the idea that randomness is in charge and that they have no control over things that impact them.

The person doing the attacking in the video is less trying to belittle that person and more trying to reassure themselves that they are not at risk of finding themselves in the same situation.

They are also an rear end in a top hat.

I agree with you on why people like that woman feels that way since she (like most of us) has very little agency in how the world works which can be terrifying. However this sort of messaging that feeds into her fear and creates a specific target of the poor has been coming down from powerful interests for years. Those people are very much trying to destroy the safety net.

I disagree that she is merely trying to reassure herself though. That might be part of it but showing that you disapprove of other people and trying to make them feel bad or responsible for their plights is becoming a big thing.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 3, 2016

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

bowser posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwrNiRngMhc

Here's what happens when you have a major political party constantly vilifying people who need government assistance to survive.

Everything is terrible. :smith:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DemeaninDemon posted:

Prosperity Gospel says poor are ungodly and thus deserving of their fate.

But what if I'm poor and I go to church every week? :ohdear:

Peven Stan posted:

People are sick of cyclists on the road???

Yankee spotted

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Sir Tonk posted:

Tithe more!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Sir Tonk posted:

You aren't worshiping God correctly/enough.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
That poor kid :(

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Anchor Wanker posted:

That poor kid :(
At least he has a cool dad who loves him and doesn't raise his voice when he's mad. Even if they're struggling to get by, they still have each other. :)

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

bowser posted:

Here's what happens when you have a major political party constantly vilifying people who need government assistance to survive.

Wow, what a gigantic oval office!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

bowser posted:

Good for that guy on not calling her a huge oval office. Because I would've been streaming "oval office oval office oval office" towards her non-stop.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Boywhiz88 posted:

Good for that guy on not calling her a huge oval office. Because I would've been streaming "oval office oval office oval office" towards her non-stop.
I sincerely like how he drops the f-bomb without pause, but when he calls her a bitch he goes "sorry." Gotta set a good example for the kid.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

hangedman1984 posted:

Wow, what a gigantic oval office!

Seriously. That wasn't even the conservative fear of the welfare mooch buying lobster, steaks, and expensive desserts. He was buying groceries with his family and even that is now too much.

There's also always the "don't have kids you can't afford!!" bullshit which doesn't help the kids that are already alive and need food unless they know a magical spell to reverse time and unbirth a child. Of course that solution is just a cowardly way to say sex havers should be punished but they know that's not as popular as Sensible economic solutions.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 3, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Clinton insiders have been pointing to her work on the Iran deal as foreign policy credentials, saying her fingerprints were all over it.

It turns out she was trying to break it:

quote:

“They shared the same tactic, which was engagement, but they envisioned different endgames,” said Karim Sadjadpour, an expert on Iran at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. “The president’s endgame was, ‘I’m a guy who can bridge differences. I’ve bridged races and countries all my life, so I’m going to be able to resolve this.’”

“Clinton had a more cynical view of the endgame,” he continued. “‘We’re going to engage them not because we think they’re going to reciprocate, but because when they rebuff us, it will expose the fact that the problem lies in Tehran, and not in Washington.’”

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Not surprising. Disappointing, though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I wonder if she learned the real lesson she was trying to teach the Iranians. Probably not. I have a feeling that her foreign policy isn't going to be very good.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Twitter's going crazy over this one:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bowser posted:

On the plus side, think of how miserable this woman is going to be on Nov. 5.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SedanChair posted:

Clinton insiders have been pointing to her work on the Iran deal as foreign policy credentials, saying her fingerprints were all over it.

Okay that's not what the article actually said at all. I encourage everyone to read the whole thing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Noticed something in his basket the second time that may have triggered the conversation

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

Okay that's not what the article actually said at all. I encourage everyone to read the whole thing.

It's the New York Times, obviously they're not going to come out and say it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rick Scott flew over to California to tell companies to move their operations to Florida, where we will never have a $15 minimum wage. In response, Jerry Brown wrote a letter telling him to start worrying about climate change instead. You may remember that Florida government officials are officially banned from talking about global warming.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SedanChair posted:

It's funny how "Break" and "Didn't think it would work but pursued it anyway, though with less vigor than others" apparently mean the same thing these days.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SedanChair posted:

Is there somewhere I can get an English- to-Anti-Clinton dictionary somewhere? Words seem to have brand new and exciting meanings when they involve her.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's funny how "Break" and "Didn't think it would work but pursued it anyway, though with less vigor than others" apparently mean the same thing these days.

Also it just means Clinton is just more cynical than Obama, She was fine with the deal, but she completely expected the deal to break down from Tehran's side. And was preparing for that to happen.

That's exactly how I want a Secretary of State to think. Work towards a solution, but also expect and prepare for what happens if that solution breaks down.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

Also it just means Clinton is just more cynical than Obama, She was fine with the deal, but she completely expected the deal to break down from Tehran's side. And was preparing for that to happen.

That's exactly how I want a Secretary of State to think. Work towards a solution, but also expect and prepare for what happens if that solution breaks down.

Where did you get the impression she was fine with the deal? She's stuck in a bunch of tough-guy caveats every time she's talked about it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Taerkar posted:

Is there somewhere I can get an English- to-Anti-Clinton dictionary somewhere? Words seem to have brand new and exciting meanings when they involve her.

Just add words that make her seem more nefarious and/or illiberal and/or a secret disciple of Barry Goldwater and Henry Kissinger. Put something in there about her being sold out to the man at the end and you can sell it to Salon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Where did you get the impression she was fine with the deal? She's stuck in a bunch of tough-guy caveats every time she's talked about it.

Thinking like a normal person.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SedanChair posted:

lol at the idea of the Times being on Hilldog's side.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

So two things:
- Elaborate on your claim
- Is the NYT on Hillary's side now? I have a hard time following when they're pro and when they're anti depending on how the person feels about her personally

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

So two things:
- Elaborate on your claim

quote:

“It’s not enough just to say yes to this deal,” she declared last October. “We have to say, ‘Yes, and.’ Yes, and we will enforce it with vigor and vigilance. Yes, and we will embed it in a broader strategy to confront Iran’s bad behavior in the region. Yes, and we will begin from Day 1 to set the conditions so Iran knows it will never be able to get a nuclear weapon.”

Don't pretend like she hasn't tried to paint Obama as naive.

quote:

- Is the NYT on Hillary's side again? I have a hard time following when they're pro and when they're anti

Sorry, who are they supposed to be for? What I mean is that the Times, just like NPR or any other supposedly respectable news outlet, will never state the obvious when it calls out an establishment politician. You have to use a little intelligence to see what is being laid out in front of you. In this case what is being laid out is that Hillary was reluctant to do her part in getting the deal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Sorry, who are they supposed to be for? What I mean is that the Times, just like NPR or any other supposedly respectable news outlet, will never state the obvious when it calls out an establishment politician. You have to use a little intelligence to see what is being laid out in front of you. In this case what is being laid out is that Hillary was reluctant to do her part in getting the deal.

Read between the lines man!! Can't you see what's going on here!!!

Maggie Hassan is the current NH governor and she's going up against Republican Kelly Ayotte for NH Senate in November. She has an extremely good ad team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GG_L9-kazw

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

quote:

After she left the State Department, Mrs. Clinton diverged from Mr. Obama on a central tactical question: whether to impose harsh new sanctions on the Iranians after they elected Hassan Rouhani, who had run for president seeking better relations with the West to ease Iran’s economic isolation. Mrs. Clinton was swayed by many in Congress, as well as by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel, who argued Iran was so desperate for a deal that tightening the vise would have extracted better terms.

“She would have squeezed them again,” a person who has worked with her for several years said, “and the only debate is what they would have done.”

Mr. Obama feared that ratcheting up the pressure would undercut Mr. Rouhani, unravel the sanctions coalition and doom his diplomatic efforts. He persuaded the Senate to hold off on new sanctions. Mrs. Clinton never made her differences with Mr. Obama public, and she has publicly endorsed his nuclear deal, though with more caveats than her former boss.

“It’s not enough just to say yes to this deal,” she declared last October. “We have to say, ‘Yes, and.’ Yes, and we will enforce it with vigor and vigilance. Yes, and we will embed it in a broader strategy to confront Iran’s bad behavior in the region. Yes, and we will begin from Day 1 to set the conditions so Iran knows it will never be able to get a nuclear weapon.”

The only difference is she would have negotiated a bit harder than Obama did, She was ok with a deal, She just differed slightly from Obama in the sense that she would have tried to impose more restrictions. While Obama was satisfied with the deal as it was.

She wasn't trying to break the deal up, at worst she wanted to negotiate a bit more and add more restrictions with Iraq in such a weak position. Obama just wanted to get the deal done as is without the risks that come with squeezing them.

Having Disagreements with how hard to push a negotiating party =/= Trying to break up a deal.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

rkajdi posted:

Rule of law doesn't need a check against it. The continual move to turn trials more and more into spectacle instead of being about objective truth(I know this has always been the case, but jury selection seems to have gotten worse from the outside) is poisonous to actual justice happening.
Rule of law doesn't exist and never has. We have, and have always had, rule of men, and that needs as many checks as we can reasonably fit in.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Also it's hard to see being "swayed by" Bibi as anything other than not doing your job on behalf of the president.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Zeroisanumber posted:

lol at the idea of the Times being on Hilldog's side.

Uh the NYT has been pretty obviously anti-Sanders for a while, and that helps Hillary.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

botany posted:

Uh the NYT has been pretty obviously anti-Sanders for a while, and that helps Hillary.

NYT has famously been out for Hillary's scalp since the 90's and one of their regular columnists, Maureen Dowd, absolutely hates her guts.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I don't think Maureen Dowd has any influence at NYT. Them having it out for Hillary is news to me.

e: I mean, Hillary probably thinks they have it out for her, along with everyone else who hasn't given her money. I wonder what betrayal number she has assigned them on her spreadsheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SedanChair posted:

Also it's hard to see being "swayed by" Bibi as anything other than not doing your job on behalf of the president.

It's a Secretary of State's job to consider all options and bring them up. Especially something at this level of importance.

If I was a president and my secretary of state had concerns or thoughts about the on going negotiations, or even bringing up other people's opinions. I would be pissed as gently caress if they held back because they thought disagreeing with me was a bad thing.

It's not like she was actively trying to sabotage the deal which is how you tried to paint it initially.

But actually nevermind, just keep moving those goal posts.

• Locked thread