Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
First Play Build
Turtle
No Shield Melee
Caster
Kaz, what should I do. Tell me like you used to
View Results

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

co-oping them is fun as hell too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Armor is down to three cos of all the times I got blindsided by butterfly hail.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net cafe scandal posted:

Armor is down to three cos of all the times I got blindsided by butterfly hail.

I think they look like mosquitos.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Theyre what the undead corpse tree things in lothric high wall turn into

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Huh.. Never seen a sixty foot long mosquito that shoots lasers and is made of trees.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

finally beat the nameless king solo. meant to finish him off with the weapon art for extra flair but forgot in the heat of the moment. souls shakes are back again, baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbhRATu2Kjs

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Homework Explainer posted:

finally beat the nameless king solo. meant to finish him off with the weapon art for extra flair but forgot in the heat of the moment. souls shakes are back again, baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbhRATu2Kjs

Congrats.

I got back on tonight after a break of a few days. I didn't down Nameless King, but I did open up two new bonfires, kill Hawkwood, the two gators by Aldrich Faithful, and the two dragons at that bridge. I also got to the Armor, who whooped my rear end with the help of a corpse butterfly.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

THis game kicks rear end and I cant wait for more.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Also that guy was right about passwords ignoring the level restrictions. I got to use my character as me and my friends with their new characters got to gallivant around Undead Settlement.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

NickRoweFillea posted:

Also that guy was right about passwords ignoring the level restrictions. I got to use my character as me and my friends with their new characters got to gallivant around Undead Settlement.

that rules. all i have left now is soul of cinder and i think i will have done everything possible this playthrough

Dec 26, 2012

good god abyss watchers owns

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
I just killed a guy who summoned me for a duel and sipped estus 10 times. Sent him a message after saying healing during duels is pretty lame and he messaged back "git gud" :crossarms:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

a Loving Dog posted:

I just killed a guy who summoned me for a duel and sipped estus 10 times. Sent him a message after saying healing during duels is pretty lame and he messaged back "git gud" :crossarms:

Meme's.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Phantoms who black crystal out of soapstone duels are loving ludicrous.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

net cafe scandal posted:

Phantoms who black crystal out of soapstone duels are loving ludicrous.

i think from now on im just gonna kill myself if the host starts healing. i dont want to be in a 10 minute long sippy cup war.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a Loving Dog posted:

i think from now on im just gonna kill myself if the host starts healing. i dont want to be in a 10 minute long sippy cup war.

It's annoying how hard it is to kill people when they are doing the whole spend whole stamina bar on rolls and spamming estus thing. It takes freaking forever too.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

phantomed soul of cinder in a team of four and one guy died almost immediately, the other shortly after phase two started. just me and the host, beating down the boss in a state meant for four people. he finished me off with a sliver of health left but as i died and disappeared i saw the host land the killing blow. good game.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

It's annoying how hard it is to kill people when they are doing the whole spend whole stamina bar on rolls and spamming estus thing. It takes freaking forever too.

You can counter roll spamming easily by walking towards them. I like PVP in this game because it's all about waiting for the right moment and then annihilating their health bar when your positioning is perfect

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

BTW try the Dragonslayer Spear lads, if you get a direct hit with the weapon art it is absolutely godlike and the entire moveset is sweet as hell. I like having a pokey weapon as my main and if they parry bait or hide behind a great shield I switch to a fast or unpredictable offhand sword. People seem to short out their brain wires if you're switching between two totally different attack patterns

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I have found that the best option when invaded is to just stand still and dodgeroll any projectile attacks. Or if you're the host with a boss still to be killed then just going through the level normally and ignoring them. Alot of people will just get frustrated and throw themselves at you and die lol

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
I summoned only NPCs and / or soloed all of the bosses except Nameless King guess I'm just not "gud" :negative:

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

a good way to troll and farm souls is before you beat aldrich you use the "curl up" gesture in the bushes in ithiryll courtyard (with the giants) and pop a dried finger + seed of tree of giants and go do something else for awhile

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

a Loving Dog posted:

a good way to troll and farm souls is before you beat aldrich you use the "curl up" gesture in the bushes in ithiryll courtyard (with the giants) and pop a dried finger + seed of tree of giants and go do something else for awhile

lmao

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

well im in farron keep

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jyrque posted:

I have found that the best option when invaded is to just stand still and dodgeroll any projectile attacks. Or if you're the host with a boss still to be killed then just going through the level normally and ignoring them. Alot of people will just get frustrated and throw themselves at you and die lol

a good strategy is to fight the invader and have fun with the pvp part of the game

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i spent the better part of 30 minutes as a defend of farron just harassing this dude and his friend in the forest before they finally caught me out of estus and killed me. i knew it was his buddy because i'd kill the phantom, and he'd run back and summon the same dude again.

really enjoyed making his time in the woods less fun

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

BTW try the Dragonslayer Spear lads, if you get a direct hit with the weapon art it is absolutely godlike and the entire moveset is sweet as hell. I like having a pokey weapon as my main and if they parry bait or hide behind a great shield I switch to a fast or unpredictable offhand sword. People seem to short out their brain wires if you're switching between two totally different attack patterns

It's impressive how lackluster most spears and halberds are, then the boss/Twinkling ones come along and they all own. Dragonslayer Spear is really good, Gundyr's Halberd is great, Dragonslayer Swordspear is sweet

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

sector_corrector posted:

a good strategy is to fight the invader and have fun with the pvp part of the game

I have fun pvping but i also mostly invade other players' worlds as a mad phantom rather than play host to pvp. When I'm just collecting loot and finishing an area I can safely ignore invaders most of the time because I have both the capability to summon help and more estus. If the invader starts poo poo then I punish them.

Co-operative purple phantoming is also a lot of fun when you're honestly not out to kill the host but instead protect them from invaders. Just being a friendly jolly ghost buddy until the host eventually cracks and tries to kill you and all hell breaks loose :devil:

Purple ghosts is the best thing that happened to the Souls series.

Dec 26, 2012

a Loving Dog posted:

lol

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

jyrque posted:

if i'm invading and the host is ignoring me i or trying to lure me into the bonfire room with 3 phantoms i just throw the "hello" carving non stop and they'll rush me within 30 seconds...psychological warfare is powerful in dark souls

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
are there any crossbows that are decent? i had the knight crossbow on my offhand for a while to punish healing and pull enemies, but the damage was so pitiful it was only good for the latter. apart from that, having two button presses (one to load and one to fire and both being slow animations) seems like a huge downside.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

are there any crossbows that are decent? i had the knight crossbow on my offhand for a while to punish healing and pull enemies, but the damage was so pitiful it was only good for the latter. apart from that, having two button presses (one to load and one to fire and both being slow animations) seems like a huge downside.

avelyn. otherwise, mabe the sniper crossbow

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I.N.R.I posted:

avelyn. otherwise, mabe the sniper crossbow

hmm, interesting. i totally missed the avelyn on my first playthrough, so i'll have to keep an eye out for it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Its semi well hidden I think.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

password multiplayer forces level scaling right? or did imp fight club already happen

Kongming posted:

if i'm invading and the host is ignoring me i or trying to lure me into the bonfire room with 3 phantoms i just throw the "hello" carving non stop and they'll rush me within 30 seconds...psychological warfare is powerful in dark souls

drat that's pretty clever

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
wtf is the lore take on lothric castle pilgrim butterflies? maybe im taking this too literally but the dead pilgrims do look a lot like cocoons .... is that supposed to be their final form or something ?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

goferchan posted:

wtf is the lore take on lothric castle pilgrim butterflies? maybe im taking this too literally but the dead pilgrims do look a lot like cocoons .... is that supposed to be their final form or something ?

i think theyre turning into undying dragons since they had to die to evolve

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

goferchan posted:

u mean the dudes in the dragonslayer armor fight? go take a look at the trees in lothric high wall

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_LQ8dGCp7Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

password multiplayer forces level scaling right? or did imp fight club already happen

drat that's pretty clever

Ya, fight club didnt happen yet though.

• Locked thread